• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rain is causing roaches to come into the units at SBP, so much so that roaches are in the beds

Travel991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question. I am about to buy my first timeshare which is SBP. Should I be concern. Roaches UGHH. Or should I just keep it and exchange for other locations due to its trading power.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is a good question. Units they own can be sold to whoever they would sell the management rights to. Units that are conveyed to the trust could be pulled out as long as they still end up with enough points in the trust to cover what is already sold. I really don't know the legalities of that and I am sure it isn't easy. Having weeks conveyed to the Flex trust makes unloading the resort harder. I suspect they will just strongarm the BOD/HOA and they probably have enough votes now that the trust owns so much to do as they please.
It sounds to me that it is easier, and probably more profitable in the long run, to fix the management problems of a resort than to kick it out

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I babysit my granddaughter in Indiana. A few weeks ago, the doorbell rang. The postman handed me the mail and said that he couldn't put it in the mailbox because an entire colony of ants had relocated to their mailbox. I thought that maybe he was exaggerating, so I went to look for myself. Sure enough, there were thousands of tiny ants inside the mailbox, including what I presume were baby ants. He said that it happens often when it rains a lot...and it had rained a lot.

I have to admit that I thought it was kind of cute that the little ants were smart and industrious enough to seek refuge in the mailbox.

Frankly, it's not as cute when it's palmetto bugs.

This weather is making us all crazy!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
From HHI, I took a walking tour of Beaufort one year. It was supposed to be a nighttime ghost walk but every evening it poured so I had to switch it to a hot, humid daytime tour. You start off at the harbor. All of the pilings for the docking area where covered with thousands of palmetto bugs. It looked straight out of a horror movie, probably 3 bugs thick completely covering all of the wood down to the water.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It sounds to me that it is easier, and probably more profitable in the long run, to fix the management problems of a resort than to kick it out
It would be more profitable. I suspect Vistana has the same, but Marriott has their own renovation company; Marriott Renovation Services (I think that is what it is called). They have preferred contracts with suppliers and I suspect they act more as a general contractor. So they get more management fee revenue from increasing the MFs and revenue by being the contractor on the renovations. That is of course if Marriott Renovation Services wins the bids that they put out for the renovations, which with the voting power that VIstana has from within the trusts they can easily get in board members that are more inclined to go along with what they want.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Older Marriott resorts like Swallowtail and Steamside that ended up leaving were old enough (and pre Marriott?) that had fairly independent HOA's that were mostly owner controlled and when Marriott was in and said we need to raise the MF's X amount to keep it up to Marriott standard the HOA's would not capitulate to the very high number. I think all of the Vistana resorts including both HOA;s at SBP are developer controlled. They may have a single developer approved owner on the board and the rest are vistana employees. They will vote to approve any budget that Vistana lays on the table. The only way they will leave is if the developer wants to sell.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Older Marriott resorts like Swallowtail and Steamside that ended up leaving were old enough (and pre Marriott?) that had fairly independent HOA's that were mostly owner controlled and when Marriott was in and said we need to raise the MF's X amount to keep it up to Marriott standard the HOA's would not capitulate to the very high number. I think all of the Vistana resorts including both HOA;s at SBP are developer controlled. They may have a single developer approved owner on the board and the rest are vistana employees. They will vote to approve any budget that Vistana lays on the table. The only way they will leave is if the developer wants to sell.
All of the members of the board have to also be owners, though they can be employees and owners at the same time. If SBP has a developer controlled board, why has Vistana let maintenance go for so long?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If SBP has a developer controlled board, why has Vistana let maintenance go for so long?

I wonder if it’s not the budget, but the management. It sounds like something was not done that should have been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the SBP palmetto phase board:
Association Information YOUR CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS Johnathan Ho, President & Treasurer* Sharon Harden, Vice President Michael Kinnett, Secretary* * Associate of Vistana™ Signature Experiences, Inc. So a single non Vistana associate at vice president.

This is SBP plantation phase board:
Association Information YOUR CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS David Phillips, President Frank Keating, Vice President Elissa M. Shelton, Vice President Johnathan Ho, Secretary* Michael Kinnett, Treasurer* * Associate of Vistana™ Signature Experiences, Inc
2 Associates and 3 non Associates but Vistana vets the board nominees.

I don't think the MF's have been that low. The smaller one br are low but the larger one bedrooms are high IMO and the 2 BR at $1000 for dedicated 2 BR and $1200ish for the 2 BR lock offs for a non ocean front, no shuttle or beach club resort isn't particularly or dangerously low.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is the SBP palmetto phase board:
Association Information YOUR CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS Johnathan Ho, President & Treasurer* Sharon Harden, Vice President Michael Kinnett, Secretary* * Associate of Vistana™ Signature Experiences, Inc. So a single non Vistana associate at vice president.

This is SBP plantation phase board:
Association Information YOUR CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS David Phillips, President Frank Keating, Vice President Elissa M. Shelton, Vice President Johnathan Ho, Secretary* Michael Kinnett, Treasurer* * Associate of Vistana™ Signature Experiences, Inc
2 Associates and 3 non Associates but Vistana vets the board nominees.

I don't think the MF's have been that low. The smaller one br are low but the larger one bedrooms are high IMO and the 2 BR at $1000 for dedicated 2 BR and $1200ish for the 2 BR lock offs for a non ocean front, no shuttle or beach club resort isn't particularly or dangerously low.

But it is a concern that Cindy says the MF's for SBP haven't increased at all during the last three years, when the Marriott-branded timeshare at Myrtle Beach (OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes) and the eight other Marriotts on the South Carolina coast at Hilton Head were subject to Special Assessments to cover the deductible for property insurance that kicks in with "catastrophic" events. The area got hit with two hurricanes after a period of +/- 25 years without one, and there's no way to predict such events happening.

Maybe Vistana is different from Marriott in that they fund the Reserves with the necessary amount to cover the large deductible for this type of coverage, which is equal to a percentage of the total resort replacement costs relative to actual costs to repair damage from catastrophic events, and which kicks in with each separate event, i.e. each named storm. Could be, (because the state requires an election to NOT fully fund this item and maybe they don't put it to the ownership for a vote to waive, like Marriott does) but wouldn't it stand to reason that if they were responsible enough to collect and indefinitely park this amount for a one-off event which no one can predict and which may never come, they'd also responsibly fund the operating costs such that the much smaller costs for routine professional exterminating would also be collected?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
SBP is not on the water so perhaps wasn’t hit as hard as the other resorts. Perhaps an owner should inquire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I also think that the mile and half off of the ocean minimized the damage.

And 4 or 5 years ago the MF had a fairly big bump to cover uncollectable accounts (owner defaults). I think that a number of weeks may have been added to the Sheraton Flex trust and once added to the trust Vistana starts covering the unsold weeks. So various expensive have gone up in the last 4 years but the overall balance has been kept static. Online I can only see 3 years of statements but if I compare uncollectable accounts in 2017 ($968,178) vs 2019 ($579,136). In the last 5 years it went from 15% to 10% and now to 5.5%.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
From HHI, I took a walking tour of Beaufort one year. It was supposed to be a nighttime ghost walk but every evening it poured so I had to switch it to a hot, humid daytime tour. You start off at the harbor. All of the pilings for the docking area where covered with thousands of palmetto bugs. It looked straight out of a horror movie, probably 3 bugs thick completely covering all of the wood down to the water.

Yuck! Between palmettos, the humidity, and the alligator that attacked the woman walking with her dog...no thank you. I will stick to Hawaii where I can eat snails on local produce that will attack my brain, or be eaten by sharks!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I have guests staying there this week. It's a big dance competition, and there are at least 18 families (only two families are my guests) that are vacating SBP for the roaches, which are even in the kids' beds. It's disgusting.

Downpours mean these bugs are making their way into the units when their homes outside are getting flooded.

Is this just a Vistana problem? Did they not spray well enough before the rain?

Talking to the front desk, they are doing everything they can to take care of the problem.

What would you do, if you were in a resort and the rain caused bugs to come into your unit? Would you just say what I see TUG members say all of the time, "It's a tropical climate, so an occasional bug will be in your unit." What if there are 100's of bugs in your unit, and it becomes a nightmare?
What rain? I think this must be an older thread from last year.