• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question re Chase Marriott Rewards card (non Premier Plus)

fleming4

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the older Chase Marriott card, and have benefited a lot from the one night credit per 3,000 spend feature. From what I can tell, none of the other Marriott-affiliated cards offer this benefit. This makes me reluctant to change to the new Premier Plus card or either of the SPG cards. But I wonder whether Chase and/or Marriott can close down the original Marriott card whenever they wish? Chase no longer offers that card, so it appears no one has the option now to obtain the only card that offers one night credit for 3,000 spend. It wold appear Marriott wants to dismantle this benefit. Am I correct to be concerned that the older Chase Marriott cards with their current benefit program could at some point be terminated, or that the one night per 3,000 spend benefit could just be eliminated?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect if they could have or wanted to close this benefit option, they probably would have already. They may still be able to, but are reluctant to do so when they probably still have so many people with that card. Also consider that they are only dolling out one point per dollar on that card where the new one has two points per dollar. I suspect that their costs are about the same between the two cards.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the older Chase Marriott card, and have benefited a lot from the one night credit per 3,000 spend feature. From what I can tell, none of the other Marriott-affiliated cards offer this benefit. This makes me reluctant to change to the new Premier Plus card or either of the SPG cards. But I wonder whether Chase and/or Marriott can close down the original Marriott card whenever they wish? Chase no longer offers that card, so it appears no one has the option now to obtain the only card that offers one night credit for 3,000 spend. It wold appear Marriott wants to dismantle this benefit. Am I correct to be concerned that the older Chase Marriott cards with their current benefit program could at some point be terminated, or that the one night per 3,000 spend benefit could just be eliminated?
I'm sure they could shut it down but without some larger reason to do so, I doubt they would. Or if they did, they might add that benefit to it's replacement card. We just went through a somewhat similar thought process though our situation is a little different. I became Platinum elite lifetime in 2017 and we are Chairman's in MVC. So we changed my wife as the main person listed on our MVC account so she'd have Platinum elite as a result. We then got here the old Chase Marriott card (the one you have) and canceled my card of the same type since you can't change your rewards number on the card. Our goal was to get her to lifetime at some point but as a minimum to give her the benefits when we are not traveling together. Fast forward to this fall where you now have to be Platinum Premier for 10 years to get lifetime status, we could have gotten her there much faster under the old system. A couple of months ago we got her the new SPG card for the 125K bonus and other benefits but we've kept the old card so far. We figure worst case scenario is we're paying $85 for a free night at 25K points. We're going to see how this year goes then reevaluate what's best. You get 15 elite night credits with the SPG Luxury card. You also get Automatic Gold status and Platinum upon spending $75K in a year with the SPG Luxury Amex.

It would seem the main reasons to keep the old card and use it as your main one would be if it helps you to get to a status you couldn't get otherwise or if it helps you get a lifetime status you might not have otherwise. I would assume they'll count years at Platinum elite under the old system toward Premier Platinum under the new system.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I correct to be concerned that the older Chase Marriott cards with their current benefit program could at some point be terminated, or that the one night per 3,000 spend benefit could just be eliminated?
The card could always be terminated but I would be surprised if they kept the card and dropped the benefit.

I don't know how much of the decision is driven by Chase vs Marriott but I can tell you that I continue to use and enjoy the unique benefits of Continental's Presidential Plus Card - even though the card hasn't been offered since the United/Continental merger was completed over eight years ago.

If I knew earlier in the year what I know now I would have kept the old Marriott card. Now that you need nights to get goodies like suite upgrades I'd rather have 5x points w/a night per $3000 spend than 6x points. Que Sera, Sera.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly, nothing would surprise me anymore. Companies drop and add cards all the time. Until then I will continue to use my old card. I was on the fence about getting the new card until I realized I'd lose the benefit of 15 nights towards my yearly nights total, which as ljmiii pointed out will go towards suite upgrades.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Honestly, nothing would surprise me anymore. Companies drop and add cards all the time. Until then I will continue to use my old card. I was on the fence about getting the new card until I realized I'd lose the benefit of 15 nights towards my yearly nights total, which as ljmiii pointed out will go towards suite upgrades.
According to the info with the new card, these 15 nights will start up again in 2019. Sounds like you will get them in February(ish) vs on the anniversary of your card as was the case with the older card. Its the 1 night per $3K spend that goes away.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean

I just upgraded last month to the Marriott Premier Plus card and my card anniversary date is this month (tomorrow actually) Oct 24. I did see a new hotel certificate in my account as of a couple of weeks ago, but it was for a free "25,000 point free night", not a 35,000 point free night as was promised with the Premier Plus upgrade. I just called Chase and they confirmed the mistake. They said give them about 10 days to get the certificate changed to a 35,000 point free night. Make sure you check your account to make sure this didn't happen to you. You need to handle this with Chase, not Marriott rewards.
Also, I am using the card much more now due to the 2x points on all non-Marriott spend.

fleming4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I think I'll stick with the old card for the time being, since accumulating nights (through credit card use) is more important to me at the present time than the increased points available with the newer cards. If Marriott or Chase take away the nights benefit, then I'll switch over to a newer card at that time.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question. We changed to the new premier credit card. We were giving a reward, up to 35,000 points; now it has been changed to 25,000 points. Is this because of the new reward points? What would the reward have been had we not changed credit cards? Seems a lot of things offered, changed after August!!

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
Question. We changed to the new premier credit card. We were giving a reward, up to 35,000 points; now it has been changed to 25,000 points. Is this because of the new reward points? What would the reward have been had we not changed credit cards? Seems a lot of things offered, changed after August!!

Nanceetom, see my post above. You need to call Chase and get the reward certificate changed to the 35,000 point reward cert by Chase.

Another question for all. If I find a hotel that requires 12,500 points per night, could I use a 25,000 point certificate to stay 2 nights?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Nanceetom, see my post above. You need to call Chase and get the reward certificate changed to the 35,000 point reward cert by Chase.

Another question for all. If I find a hotel that requires 12,500 points per night, could I use a 25,000 point certificate to stay 2 nights?
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One night up to 35,000 points is the way the certificate is issued.

In your example for two nights, they would just deposit 35k into your account instead.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called Marriott Visa today. They stated that we switched in May to the new premier credit card. She stated that the 25,000 was the night for the current year, with an anniversary in April, and then our Anniversary date next May, 2019, we would get the 35,000 point night. I printed the premier night in May, and it stated 35,000 and then at the end of August, it changed to 25,000. Is she correct??

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Called Marriott Visa today. They stated that we switched in May to the new premier credit card. She stated that the 25,000 was the night for the current year, with an anniversary in April, and then our Anniversary date next May, 2019, we would get the 35,000 point night. I printed the premier night in May, and it stated 35,000 and then at the end of August, it changed to 25,000. Is she correct??
So you were given the certificate before the merger of programs? If so, then it is probably correct. A 35,000 certificate pre merger is not worth 35,000 post merger since they changed all the categories.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
I just upgraded last month to the Marriott Premier Plus card and my card anniversary date is this month (tomorrow actually) Oct 24. I did see a new hotel certificate in my account as of a couple of weeks ago, but it was for a free "25,000 point free night", not a 35,000 point free night as was promised with the Premier Plus upgrade. I just called Chase and they confirmed the mistake. They said give them about 10 days to get the certificate changed to a 35,000 point free night. Make sure you check your account to make sure this didn't happen to you. You need to handle this with Chase, not Marriott rewards.
Also, I am using the card much more now due to the 2x points on all non-Marriott spend.

So to finish my story above about our "anniversary free night certificate", this week I get a letter in the mail from Chase stating that "with your Premier Card, you receive one Anniversary Free Night e-certificate valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 25,000 points. The new redemption value of up to 35,000 points for your Premier Plus card will be effective from your next anniversary date."

So yesterday I checked my Marriott Rewards account and I have 2 certificates there now, 1 for a free night up to 25,000 points and 1 for a free night up to 35,000 points (both are valid for a year (10/22/19 and 11/5/19). Shhhh, please don't tell anybody!

dfeetham

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got offered 50,000 points to upgrade so I did. I held out Cards on the way

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I just got offered 50,000 points to upgrade so I did. I held out Cards on the way
Did you call and ask or did they send you something?