TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Question on my dog

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Patri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:58 AM.

1. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I adopted a black lab mix from the shelter about two weeks ago. So far so good, except for one weird thing. I crate her at night. In the morning she makes a funny huffing sound. Her mouth is closed, but it is like her nose is plugged or she is trying to clear her throat. It asts a short time, and then she is fine.
    She may do it during the day, but it is pronounced in the morning.
    She had the usual vet care at the shelter, and I took her to a vet a few days after I got her. She is six. Any idea what this could be?
    (If it was a person, I would say it is an allergic reaction to something causing labored breathing.)

2. Gracey

Gracey TUG Member

Maybe it's sinus drainage? Probably a visit to the vet is best so you can tell him/her these symptoms.

3. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

There's a thing called a reverse sneeze. It may be what you are describing. Sometimes, dogs do that to remove irritants in their nasal passage or in their throat. When I took one of my dogs in for it, I was told she was doing it because she was too excited.

At any rate, I'd have a vet check it out. Do your best to imitate the sound for the vet and be very specific about when it happens.

klpca likes this.
  4. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Better yet: google "reverse sneeze dog you tube video" and look at a few videos. If that's exactly what your dog is doing, no need to go to the vet if she's not sick.

If the videos you watch are different from what your dog does, then take a video of what she does & take that in to your vet appt with you.

5. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I third the reverse sneeze. It's pretty scary the first time you see it. Let us know what you find out. And congrats on the new rescue. We adopted a 7 year old lab mix in June. Our new girl is awesome. I still can't believe that someone said that they didn't want her anymore. (She was an owner relinquishment).

6. wackymother

wackymother TUG Member

I agree with Heathpack, but take a video of it even if you think it is reverse sneezing. Then you can show it to your vet at your dog's next checkup. We ask a lot of questions at our dog's checkups!

7. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Labrador Retrievers help make life worth living!

Patri, taffy19 and klpca like this.
  8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux TUG Member

Our dog does the same thing. A snorting type of noise, right? As others have said, it's a reverse sneeze. Relax.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 11:59 AM
  9. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    I continue to be amazed about the things I learn on Tug! Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions.

Richard

10. 1st Class

1st Class TUG Member

+1 for this. Tuggers helping Tuggers ... what a great community!

11. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

Explore.org has two Lab puppy cams going right now -- the one litter is a month old, the other looks to be a couple weeks old. They are all so sweet!

klpca likes this.
  12. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 25,000
    Sometimes our Corgi Andrew (now in Doggy Heaven) would start this and then have a hard time stopping. I was taught by his Breeder to wrap my finger over the front of his nostrils to help him stop.

13. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Definitely listen to @heathpack , perhaps the most qualified person in this thread to answer your question.

Timeshare Von and presley like this.
  14. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Thank you, thank you everyone. Yes, that is it! I found several videos with vets commenting, and dogs sounding just like mine. What a relief. But still, how wacky. I will try one of the tips for stopping it. If it doesn't work, no big deal. Shadow is healthy in every other way, so I will quit worrying.

Gracey and klpca like this.
  15. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn
    And here I thought only snub-nosed dogs like Shih Tzus, boxers, and bulldogs had reverse sneezes! Interesting!
    Our former Boston Terrier and four of our Shih Tzus over the years have had reverse sneezes. However, not too long ago, one of our current Shih Tzus (pictured left) began doing something close to a reverse sneeze, yet somehow different. Had I not seen so many reverse sneezes with my flat nosed dogs over the years, I might not have picked up on it. This seems less throaty, even more nasal, more breathless, and at times there is mucous from the nose and/or mouth. I video taped a couple of episodes for our vet. She and the specialty vet watched it and were concerned. They feared a tumor. The specialty vet did a CT scan but no tumor. The only thing he could come up with was that the root of a tooth was very close to umm..the nasal passage possibly? I can't remember exactly. Recently my pup had to have dental surgery with a specialty dentist and they removed the tooth and root while doing other work. By then the "episodes" had become far apart and short-lived. Now, after removal, they are actually more frequent! This time often right after she drinks more water than usual. While we still don't have a diagnosis, I would be careful when assuming it's only a "reverse sneeze."

16. lauramiddl

lauramiddl TUG Member

Lol. Just this morning i googled "why does my dog honk" and got the reverse sneeze answer. I sould have come to tug first! I've been worried about my puppy but once I saw the YouTube video i knew everything was ok.

Patri likes this.
  17. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, Pines,
    Fishermen's Village
    My daughter ‘s Pug does this too