• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on my dog

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I adopted a black lab mix from the shelter about two weeks ago. So far so good, except for one weird thing. I crate her at night. In the morning she makes a funny huffing sound. Her mouth is closed, but it is like her nose is plugged or she is trying to clear her throat. It asts a short time, and then she is fine.
She may do it during the day, but it is pronounced in the morning.
She had the usual vet care at the shelter, and I took her to a vet a few days after I got her. She is six. Any idea what this could be?
(If it was a person, I would say it is an allergic reaction to something causing labored breathing.)

Gracey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Longboat Bay Club, Disney s Old Key West, Wyndham
Maybe it's sinus drainage? Probably a visit to the vet is best so you can tell him/her these symptoms.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a thing called a reverse sneeze. It may be what you are describing. Sometimes, dogs do that to remove irritants in their nasal passage or in their throat. When I took one of my dogs in for it, I was told she was doing it because she was too excited.

At any rate, I'd have a vet check it out. Do your best to imitate the sound for the vet and be very specific about when it happens.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Do your best to imitate the sound for the vet and be very specific about when it happens.

Better yet: google "reverse sneeze dog you tube video" and look at a few videos. If that's exactly what your dog is doing, no need to go to the vet if she's not sick.

If the videos you watch are different from what your dog does, then take a video of what she does & take that in to your vet appt with you.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I third the reverse sneeze. It's pretty scary the first time you see it. Let us know what you find out. And congrats on the new rescue. We adopted a 7 year old lab mix in June. Our new girl is awesome. I still can't believe that someone said that they didn't want her anymore. (She was an owner relinquishment).

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Heathpack, but take a video of it even if you think it is reverse sneezing. Then you can show it to your vet at your dog's next checkup. We ask a lot of questions at our dog's checkups!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Labrador Retrievers help make life worth living!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our dog does the same thing. A snorting type of noise, right? As others have said, it's a reverse sneeze. Relax.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I continue to be amazed about the things I learn on Tug! Thanks for all the replies and great suggestions.

Richard

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Sometimes our Corgi Andrew (now in Doggy Heaven) would start this and then have a hard time stopping. I was taught by his Breeder to wrap my finger over the front of his nostrils to help him stop.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, thank you everyone. Yes, that is it! I found several videos with vets commenting, and dogs sounding just like mine. What a relief. But still, how wacky. I will try one of the tips for stopping it. If it doesn't work, no big deal. Shadow is healthy in every other way, so I will quit worrying.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
And here I thought only snub-nosed dogs like Shih Tzus, boxers, and bulldogs had reverse sneezes! Interesting!
Our former Boston Terrier and four of our Shih Tzus over the years have had reverse sneezes. However, not too long ago, one of our current Shih Tzus (pictured left) began doing something close to a reverse sneeze, yet somehow different. Had I not seen so many reverse sneezes with my flat nosed dogs over the years, I might not have picked up on it. This seems less throaty, even more nasal, more breathless, and at times there is mucous from the nose and/or mouth. I video taped a couple of episodes for our vet. She and the specialty vet watched it and were concerned. They feared a tumor. The specialty vet did a CT scan but no tumor. The only thing he could come up with was that the root of a tooth was very close to umm..the nasal passage possibly? I can't remember exactly. Recently my pup had to have dental surgery with a specialty dentist and they removed the tooth and root while doing other work. By then the "episodes" had become far apart and short-lived. Now, after removal, they are actually more frequent! This time often right after she drinks more water than usual. While we still don't have a diagnosis, I would be careful when assuming it's only a "reverse sneeze."

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lol. Just this morning i googled "why does my dog honk" and got the reverse sneeze answer. I sould have come to tug first! I've been worried about my puppy but once I saw the YouTube video i knew everything was ok.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My daughter ‘s Pug does this too