• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question on car rental in San Jose, CA (at the airport)

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We are planning a trip to the San Jose area later this year. Usually I don't rent a car as dd lives there and she is usually my ride. But this time we want to rent a car. I've started looking and so far the best pricing is with Avis or Sixt (a company I'm not familiar with personally but they currently have a much lower rate). So I've been looking at the reviews (on Yelp, which I don't always trust) and for both companies they are very mixed. Does anyone have any personal experience with car rental at the San Jose, CA airport?

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a trip to the San Jose area later this year. Usually I don't rent a car as dd lives there and she is usually my ride. But this time we want to rent a car. I've started looking and so far the best pricing is with Avis or Sixt (a company I'm not familiar with personally but they currently have a much lower rate). So I've been looking at the reviews (on Yelp, which I don't always trust) and for both companies they are very mixed. Does anyone have any personal experience with car rental at the San Jose, CA airport?
I live in Cupertino, next door to San Jose so haven't had to rent here. If it was me I'd I would go on Autoslash to see what kind of rate they can get you. You might also go on Facebook and ask your same question to the Autoslash Facebook representative. Good luck and let me know what you end up with and how it works out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I live in Cupertino, next door to San Jose so haven't had to rent here. If it was me I'd I would go on Autoslash to see what kind of rate they can get you. You might also go on Facebook and ask your same question to the Autoslash Facebook representative. Good luck and let me know what you end up with and how it works out.
It was on Autoslash that I got those rates. I know which one is cheaper (Sixt) but I don't know which one is "better" to rent from. For the difference in price (which could very well change by the time we travel) I'll probably go with Sixt.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used Sixt in Las Vegas several years ago and they were fine except they weren't actually at the airport but not too far away. Make sure the location is with the other car rental companies.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I used Sixt in Las Vegas several years ago and they were fine except they weren't actually at the airport but not too far away. Make sure the location is with the other car rental companies.
I'll do more checking closer to the date, but it sounds like all of the rental companies are across the street from the terminal. Which is kind of confusing since they also seem to indicate you need to take a shuttle.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We rent cars from Avis for long distance drives. They are fine. We also rented car from Budget, Alamo, National...all the major rental companies. Never Sixt though. Tip #1: Always select a time no later than the arrival time. Once we went to SJC to pick up the car about an hour earlier, they would not allow me. I ended up making a new reservation right there for the earlier time. Tip #2: sometimes we rent the car from offices off the airport and that saves us some money, so check around. Costco rental car site allows you to select up to 4 locations at a time, it's a pain but you can work around it. there are quite a few near SJC. Uber should not be too expensive to get there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Tip #2: sometimes we rent the car from offices off the airport and that saves us some money, so check around. Costco rental car site allows you to select up to 4 locations at a time, it's a pain but you can work around it. there are quite a few near SJC. Uber should not be too expensive to get there.
I just checked on the Costco site. Don't think this will work for us. We need to return the car on a Sunday at 7:30 a.m. and pretty much all of the off airport sites are closed.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I saw a post on TUG that reported a negative experience w/ Sixt.
A bad experience can ruin a trip. It's why I won't fly LCC's.
I'd splurge and do Avis. A year from now, you won't miss the $$.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

The most recent negative I saw on TUG regarding Sixt had to do with the size of the vehicle. The OP felt it was misrepresented. That wouldn't be an issue for us. I'll keep watching rates since we're not going until later in the year. It's very possible the Avis, or one of the other companies I'm more familiar with, will come down.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just checked on the Costco site. Don't think this will work for us. We need to return the car on a Sunday at 7:30 a.m. and pretty much all of the off airport sites are closed.
I've rented at off-airport sites and always been allowed to return the car to the airport site. It's worth checking.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I've rented at off-airport sites and always been allowed to return the car to the airport site. It's worth checking.
Also, some off-airport rental sites have a key-drop for off-duty returns. Worth asking about. Just remember to take pictures of the rental-car when you do the return.

Richard

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Checking again using Costco I picked off site locations and put in a time when they would be open. I also put in a choice of picking up at one location and returning to the airport. In both cases the rates were quite a bit higher than just picking up and dropping off at the airport.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We rent cars from Avis for long distance drives. They are fine. We also rented car from Budget, Alamo, National...all the major rental companies. Never Sixt though. Tip #1: Always select a time no later than the arrival time. Once we went to SJC to pick up the car about an hour earlier, they would not allow me. I ended up making a new reservation right there for the earlier time. Tip #2: sometimes we rent the car from offices off the airport and that saves us some money, so check around. Costco rental car site allows you to select up to 4 locations at a time, it's a pain but you can work around it. there are quite a few near SJC. Uber should not be too expensive to get there.

How can you choose the time of arrival as the time to pick up the car? I mean- by the time the plane lands and then you maybe take a shuttle to the car rental place (at some airports)- heaven forbid your plane arrives late- you might not have a car by the time you get there. I know I chose a pickup time 1 later than our arrival time for our next trip.

I am surprised a car rental place would not let you pick up a car just a little earlier if it was available.

We pick up car rentals at the airport. I don't like those off site places- been there, done that.

Autoslash has been doing great on our car rental for our upcoming trip in the Fall. So far- down $117 from when I first booked. Alamo through Priceline- Las Vegas.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How can you choose the time of arrival as the time to pick up the car?
I usually choose a time about 30 minutes after we're supposed to arrive.

Since I always enter flight information on my car rental reservation I would hope they have a car for me if I arrive late. However, on our last rental on Maui when we went to pick up the car (and we hadn't arrived late) I was told there was only one of the size we had reserved left. I was told I could upgrade to a Jeep at the same price. No thanks. I've ridden in rental Jeeps. Soooo uncomfortable. We took the one SUV they had left (in the size we had reserved).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I typically set pick-up for 30-45 minutes after scheduled arrival. Between delays in deplaning, visiting the restroom and schlepping to the baggage zoo, there's little likelihood of getting to the rental desk before then, even if it's in the terminal.

I asked a counter agent about being late. He said that their system "protects" reservations for 1 hour after the stated arrival time, but after that, availability will depend on whether they have walk-ups or upgrades.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Right now, and this is still early on, the difference in price between Avis and Sixt is $79 (for a 4 day rental).

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I have an upcoming trip to San Jose in late June. I started looking at car rentals back in February, and they were pretty expensive back then, about $350-400 for just one week, pick up at the airport. I looked around off-airport and found one, Budget I think, not too far away on El Camino Real, which was at least $125 cheaper, with return to the airport. Worth paying the Uber/Lyft fare one way from airport. Not sure what is going on that week in late June.

I've been checking since I made my initial reservation (thru Costco), and car rentals have only increased in price since February. I've checked Orbitz and other sites; all are super expensive :( So make your reservation as far in advance as possible for San Jose!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If you rent a car in Mexico from a third party vendor like autoslash , expedia or any of the likes, the car rental company can charge you for all of the insurance coverage. When you rent from the Avis portal for a car rental in Mexico, Avis is bound by the terms and conditions on their website. This is true for all of the major car rental companies even when the franchise in Mexico is locally owned.

I like Avis, Alamo and sometimes Budget. Budget has some older cars but sometimes the rate can't be beat. The credit card coverage works fine for damage to the car. When you use credit card coverage for the car the car rental company places a hold on the card for $2500 or more. I use an Amex card with enhanced coverage for the rental car. All of this information is in the terms and conditions of the car rental website. Avis includes the 3rd party liability in their rate. Alamo requires you to purchase the 3rd party liability.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you rent a car in Mexico from a third party vendor like autoslash , expedia or any of the likes, the car rental company can charge you for all of the insurance coverage. When you rent from the Avis portal for a car rental in Mexico, Avis is bound by the terms and conditions on their website. This is true for all of the major car rental companies even when the franchise in Mexico is locally owned.

I like Avis, Alamo and sometimes Budget. Budget has some older cars but sometimes the rate can't be beat. The credit card coverage works fine for damage to the car. When you use credit card coverage for the car the car rental company places a hold on the card for $2500 or more. I use an Amex card with enhanced coverage for the rental car. All of this information is in the terms and conditions of the car rental website. Avis includes the 3rd party liability in their rate. Alamo requires you to purchase the 3rd party liability.

Bill
But my question was about renting in the U.S., in San Jose, CA.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
But my question was about renting in the U.S., in San Jose, CA.

Whoops. For some reason I thought you were heading to San Jose del Cabo. Sorry.

So far , autoslash has been the best deal for our fall Maui trip.

The other posts seem to make sense now that I know its San Jose California. :thumbup:

Bill

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the Sixt location is "off airport" -- do you have the address? The convenience alone might sway me to Avis. The airport rental car center is a walk across the
street at SJC.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If the Sixt location is "off airport" -- do you have the address? The convenience alone might sway me to Avis. The airport rental car center is a walk across the
street at SJC.
Hi b2bailey,

Sixt Rent A Car Address at San Jose Airport :
1659 Airport Blvd, San Jose, CA 95110

Richard

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
street at SJC.
For a $70+ difference I can take a shuttle if needed. :) However it looks like Sixt is located across the street with the other car rental companies.