• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Quarter House

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
What you saw is called a "second line." The tradition started with funerals -- but since New Orleans loves a parade, it has been expanded to follow just about every major event (weddings, graduations, etc.). I love when we happen across a second line!!

Hope your noise situation abates. I think it can happen anywhere but does seem to be more prevalent in urban "party atmosphere" locations (we experienced it recently in Miami). When I was younger and couldn't afford it, I always wanted to stay in a balcony room at the Royal Sonesta. Finally did it a couple of years ago and tried to nap ........... during a LSU game! Needless to say, I no longer see the charm in those balcony rooms at the Royal Sonesta! Some things are better left for the young! :)

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and are able to get some sleep. My experience is that a lot of people (me included!) often don't stay for the entire week. If the noisy neighbors don't leave, you should ask for another room as some will almost assuredly open up tomorrow or Tuesday.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Thanks for the info Jersey . . . I recall seeing that term ("second line") somewhere along the way.

As for our stay here, we're checking out tomorrow so no worries on the noise in terms of moving units.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
On this upcoming trip, we're planning on trying Cafe Fleur De Lis (breakfast), The Original Pierre Masperos (dinner) and House of Blues (dinner).

Cafe Fleur-Des-Lis & Pierre Masperos were outstanding. House of Blues was horrible.

As for our other "favorites from the past" . . . Mothers' food was good but their service is slipping a bit. And Daisy Dukes (breakfast) was just "ok" with rather poor service (lost our first meal ticket/order . . . and then didn't get it right after taking it again).

ran-ran

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Small Dogs allowed

Not sure if you like to travel with your pets or not, but small dogs that are less than 25 pounds are allowed to stay with their owners at the Quarter House for an extra $100. fee at check-in.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you like to travel with your pets or not, but small dogs that are less than 25 pounds are allowed to stay with their owners at the Quarter House for an extra $100. fee at check-in.

This would come in handy if you wanted to bring your dog to participate in the Krewe of Barkus parade. I just got back...I've gone a few times and it's a blast!
P.S. Another blast is Frank at Evelyn's Place, a great dive bar just a couple doors down from Quarter House. Food is good too, for a dive bar with so much character.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carol -- I was at Barkus too -- what a hoot! Gorgeous weather this weekend, right?!

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're at the QH now. We are in 302 - right next to the elevator, but the bedroom is on the courtyard. No problems sleeping last night. As a heads up, there is a corridor behind the check-in desk which leads to the handicapped entrance. Much easier loading and unloading through that door. Your room key will open it. We own unit 222, wk 7 and have never seen it. I'm going to see if we can get a peak this week. If so, I'll take pics. This is our second visit and this room is much different than the first one bed we stayed in. We're here now on an internal exchange and accepted a one bdrm for our 2 bdrm. Anyone else here now?
Oh! Do try "Cuchon" - a great eatery owned by hubby's nephew. The alligator is great!.
Eileen

retailman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cuchon is not a meat, it is a way of roasting meat next to a open fire sort of
open roasting from the side. Cuchon de lay is normaly done with small suckling
pigs but I have seen goats used.

ran-ran

TUG Member
Reaction score
Arriving on Saturday!

We will be arriving on Saturday, March 19. It looks like we will miss you and the banner too. I hope you are having a great time.

We're at the QH now. We are in 302 - right next to the elevator, but the bedroom is on the courtyard. No problems sleeping last night. As a heads up, there is a corridor behind the check-in desk which leads to the handicapped entrance. Much easier loading and unloading through that door. Your room key will open it. We own unit 222, wk 7 and have never seen it. I'm going to see if we can get a peak this week. If so, I'll take pics. This is our second visit and this room is much different than the first one bed we stayed in. We're here now on an internal exchange and accepted a one bdrm for our 2 bdrm. Anyone else here now?
Oh! Do try "Cuchon" - a great eatery owned by hubby's nephew. The alligator is great!.
Eileen

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
. It looks like we will miss you and the banner too. I hope you are having a great time.
We had to take a pass on the banner. MAS couldn't mail it from HI before the 14th, and we leave here on the 18th. We're taking a week to get to Vegas, where it was to be handed off. So, instead we'll meet up in Vegas for a pic.
We are having a great time! The Quarter is crazy! There was a small parade this evening down Royal. Supposed to be a decent one on Thursday. Went to the WWII museum today. Very impressive, but leave LOTS of time! We will have to go back. Had lunch at CUCHON. It was wonderful. Hubby had the bacon and oyster po-boy and I had a loaded twice baked potato and cucumbers in vinegar.
Sorry to miss you,
EIleen

ran-ran

TUG Member
Reaction score
Watched the parade from balcony last night

My first stay here at the Quarter House and it is very nice so far. The unit is great!

We started celebrating NOLA right after our check-in by watching the parade from our balcony. It was a blast watching it from the second floor last night. We got lots of beads and didn't have to show anything either. Since the balcony was large enough, we asked our neighbors that rented the lock-off to join us on the balcony. It was lots of fun.

Heading to the breakfast social in a bit and then for the walking tour of the French Quarter that the resort sponsors.

EDITED TO ADD:

We went down to the FREE breakfast and it included; bagels, assortment of other muffins and breads, fruit, yogurt, coffee and mimosa's. There wasn't any sales presentation, just breakfast for everyone. Not only did the resort provide breakfast but they had a gentleman playing the keyboard for our listening pleasure. All in all, it was very nice.

After the breakfast, the resort sponsored a FREE walking tour that took just over an hour. The tour guy, Gibson was a very nice elderly man that loved what he was doing. His memory wasn't the best but he was delightful and it was a quick FREE tour.

Tomorrow is the cooking class which cost $5.00 per person. I will fill you in on that tomorrow. Night.

EDITED TO ADD:

We attended the $5.00 cooking class which was worth every penny. It covered a two hour cooking seminar by the owner himself, Chef Duke LoCicero, owner of Cafe Giovanni. He may not have his own television show, but he was very interesting and full of opinions from food to politics that he shared. It was also his 50th birthday today. Everyone received a sample of the three dishes he prepared; VooDoo Shrimp, Pasta Gambino and Banana Foster. Everything was delicious and for attending the event you got 10% off a future meal if you made a reservation.

The last Quarter House sponsored activity is a wine and cheese get together scheduled for tomorrow between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. This is perfect timing for us as we will be attending the first dinner event of the annual French Quarter Wine Festival tomorrow night at 7:00 PM.

Last edited:

ran-ran

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our vacation was great at the Quarter House in NOLA

I know that threads can seem to get lost in the constant posting or lack thereof, but I had an idea for fellow Quarter House owners that want to get to know each other, trade weeks, rent, etc.

The purpose would be to collect as many owners and their weeks for mutual exchanges and rentals. However, I was thinking that maybe it would be easier to utilize the TUG resort page for the Quarter House and post our weeks for exchange on the marketplace page.

Thoughts from others on maintaining a list of owners with our weeks over there, on the TUG's resort marketplace page? This would also work for other resorts too.

For starters, the issue I see is that the listings have expirations dates.

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like your idea, but won't any thread we start, (or continue) be visable by anyone? I would love to get to know other QH owners, but don't want my personal info "in plain sight". I think we'd have to start a private group - like a yahoo group. I belong to groups for Celebrity and Starwood, already, which are private. I do have a special need. I bought our 2 bedroom, week 7, unit 222 sight unseen. When we were there last week, in an internal exchange unit, I hunted down the location of my unit. I will never be able to stay in it. I have a mobility scooter and that unit does not have level access to an elevator. It is in a nice location, just off the little 3 step passage that has the very small courtyard on the first floor. I would like to permanently trade with someone who has a 2 bedroom that can be accessed from an elevator. I am going to email Betty and see if she will keep me in mind in case one becomes available. I haven't had it very long. I did an internal exchange with my 2010 week, and banked it with SFX for 2011. Does anyone know how well a 2 bedroom wk 7 trades? We don't plan to go to NOLA every year. I picked it up because my SIL has a tiny duplex there and her son co-owns COCHON, so we would like to visit family, and have some place to be away one our own, too.
As an aside, Betty told us that there will be no more building in the Quarter OR conversions to timeshares. So, what's there is IT. I know there are other NOLA timeshares, but QH really does have a prime location.
I'll be looking to trade or rent 2012. We want to go to HI - Maui or Kuai in March/April of 2012. You can PM me if there's any interest.
EIleen

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ran-Ran, Eileen

I like your idea of a private group for Quarter House owners, but would like to see it expanded to all of the French Quarter, (and nearby) timeshare hotels and resorts.

Im working on a list of "urban resorts" in other cities and at least so far It seems that New Orleans is unique with the number of really special events in town (Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest Sugar Bowl, Essence Festival, Southern Decadence etc and the number of small independent timeshares facilities.

I dont have the time or the expertise to develop or manage such a group. But count me in if you can make it happen (and if you are willing to expand it to the whole city)

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no special training in developing a document, but think I could manage a basic Excel database with owners, resorts, weeks and rent or trade options. In a Yahoo (probably google groups, too) private group one can post documents which then are easily accessible by all members. Truth be told, I wouldn't mind being in an area of NOLA outside of the French Quarter, so having the whole city included sounds great.
I'll play with creating a group and post if I have success.
Eileen

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK! I created a group, and a table which any member should be able to fill in. If I did it right, you will have to request permission to join. I will respond as soon as I can. We are currently in Vegas at the Cliffs and out and about for a lot of the day. Once you are accepted PLEASE let me know if anything should be added, clarified, ...whatever. It should be OUR group, not mine. I would also like someone to volunteer to be a moderator, JIC I fall off the earth.
Eileen

Removed Link. Send me a PM with your email address if you want to join.

Last edited:

thelowes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning Stay at Quarter House June 2011

We exchanged our HAwaii property (I know) to stay at The Quarter House this summer in June. I have read so many mixed reviews and many bad ones seem to be from 2008-2009. I'm wondering about those of you who have stayed her more recently about the rat/roach issue. I have a 5 year old and almost 2 year old. I know many think New Orleans is not kid friendly, and I'm not worried about that--I was born in New Orleans. But I do want to know if the rooms are clean for the most part. We are used to staying at Starwood properties, Westin, Sheraton, the likes and we like the finer things in life, but also wanted to enjoy the charm of New Orleans, be close to the canal street car route, riverwalk, etc. Can anyone give me any tips about this place. I have been told our room will face Chartres. Is this good/bad?

We want a nice place to stay but will be out and about quite a bit, too. Any pointers traveling with kids? I lived in New Orleans in the 1970's and only as a very young child. I have been back to visit alot, but not so much since Katrina. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
I, too, own a Starwood property, and the 2 couldn't be more different! You WILL experience all the charm NOLA has to offer. I envy you the Chartres St facing unit!!. I have been there twice in the last 3.5 years. I did not see any unwanted visitors in the rooms I occupied. That being said, the Quarter House is made up of 20+ very old buildings, most of which have some kind of food service on the first floor. ANY property, in ANY big city is going to have a rodent problem. The difference is in how well it is controlled. Everything I saw was clean. This is the only timeshare I have stayed in that has DAILY maid service! You will chuckle at the "pool", but it will be just the thing for your little ones. I didn't buy any masks on Canal. I went to the French Market, only a few blocks from the QH and got them for $2.50 each.
I have to plug COCHON, which is just into the warehouse district. Hubby's nephew is co-owner of the restaurant and was just nominated for a James Beard Award as best Southern Chef. If you decide to go, call for reservations and tell them Stephen's Uncle Jack sent them. It can be hard to get in.
Now, I banked my 2011 QH week with SFX in hopes of exchanging into HI next year. I want to use my StarOptions to get into Maui and then add more weeks - interested in some kind of swap?? :rofl:
We're in our 60's, so I can't comment on what to do with the kids, but they were all around the week we were there.
Please let us know how your trip went.
Eileen

ran-ran

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love it there!

We own and stayed in room 232A March 19 - 26 and throughly enjoyed it. We also faced Chartres St. Our room was super clean and no site of any critters running around.

I personally don't think that the French Quarter in NOLOA is very kid friendly, but I did see a few when I was there.

If anyone knows who to contact for this, but I typed up a nice review of the Quarter House upon my return from our stay on March 27th and I have not seen it posted on the TUG RESORT DATABASE page. I contacted customer relations and NO response on why it was not posted.

Have a great time and enjoy!

We exchanged our HAwaii property (I know) to stay at The Quarter House this summer in June. I have read so many mixed reviews and many bad ones seem to be from 2008-2009. I'm wondering about those of you who have stayed her more recently about the rat/roach issue. I have a 5 year old and almost 2 year old. I know many think New Orleans is not kid friendly, and I'm not worried about that--I was born in New Orleans. But I do want to know if the rooms are clean for the most part. We are used to staying at Starwood properties, Westin, Sheraton, the likes and we like the finer things in life, but also wanted to enjoy the charm of New Orleans, be close to the canal street car route, riverwalk, etc. Can anyone give me any tips about this place. I have been told our room will face Chartres. Is this good/bad?

We want a nice place to stay but will be out and about quite a bit, too. Any pointers traveling with kids? I lived in New Orleans in the 1970's and only as a very young child. I have been back to visit alot, but not so much since Katrina. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

EileenSRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Randy,
I don't know anything about you review, but thelowes would not be able to see it, as they are Guests. You might want to add more info here, if you think it would be helpful.
Eileen

AMirage

TUG Member
Reaction score
Room 427

We visited the Quarter House for the first time on Feb.26 thru March 5! Room 427 was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit with living room windows facing Chartres. We had a view of the Marriott's garage but found it interesting because the NOPD would rest their horses at the edge of the parking structure in the evenings. Nice view of the horses hind quarters :) We traded through II and the unit was very nice, clean and not one furry little friend in sight. The unit had two king bedrooms and a compact apartment size washer and dryer in one of the bathrooms. As soon as I figure out how to upload the pictures, I will post them. We are not owners, but would love to be after staying there. The location was wonderful, the staff extremely helpful and the maintenance crew were prompt and efficient.

Our unit was spacious, decorated with red and green accents (New Orleans style) which gave our accommodation its own charm, together with exposed brick walls and ornate wallpaper in some areas.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, loved all the restaurants (Sylvain's was great) and within walking distance like most of the others. I can't wait to go back and pray for another wonderful trade. This was my very first trade as a
newbie!

thelowes

TUG Member
Reaction score
why is it saying we are guests?

Randy,
I don't know anything about you review, but thelowes would not be able to see it, as they are Guests. You might want to add more info here, if you think it would be helpful.
Eileen

I don't understand why it's saying we are guests. I paid the membership fee to be a member, so why does it show me as a guest?