• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchase in Hawaii or Elsewhere?

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Hello! I am very interested in purchasing a Hyatt timeshare, which I primarily plan on using to stay in Maui. However, I’m still trying to figure out how the system works. I’ve read some of the sticky articles above, and I’ve found some info in this particular forum, but it’s still clear as mud. I understand that I’ll be deeded a fixed week, and if I don’t use that week within 6 months it’s automatically assigned it’s valued points that can be used anywhere in the Hyatt system, depending on availability of course.

My main question is this: is there a benefit to me buying in Maui if I cannot actually use the assigned fixed week? I know for a fact that I can’t use the fixed week assigned the deed I am looking at. If purchase week 37, how do my reservations work?

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Hello! I am very interested in purchasing a Hyatt timeshare, which I primarily plan on using to stay in Maui. However, I’m still trying to figure out how the system works. I’ve read some of the sticky articles above, and I’ve found some info in this particular forum, but it’s still clear as mud. I understand that I’ll be deeded a fixed week, and if I don’t use that week within 6 months it’s automatically assigned it’s valued points that can be used anywhere in the Hyatt system, depending on availability of course.

My main question is this: is there a benefit to me buying in Maui if I cannot actually use the assigned fixed week? I know for a fact that I can’t use the fixed week assigned the deed I am looking at. If purchase week 37, how do my reservations work?
you can buy a floating week in Hawaii. Doesn't make sense to buy an assigned week you cant use. It is very difficult to exchange into Maui and with the Marriott acquisition it will be a game changer

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
you can buy a floating week in Hawaii. Doesn't make sense to buy an assigned week you cant use. It is very difficult to exchange into Maui and with the Marriott acquisition it will be a game changer
Thanks for the advice. Okay, I read the fine print and the seller is saying that the usage is “biennial float weeks 1-52” but it says that it is deeded unit 3303 week 37. If this is accurate, how far out can I book a room at my home resort? In the Hilton system, it is 12 months out for home resort owners, and I am hoping that it is the same for the Hyatt RC!

Last edited:

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Okay, I read the fine print and the seller is saying that the usage is “biennial float weeks 1-52” but it says that it is deeded unit 3303 week 37. If this is accurate, how far out can I book a room at my home resort? In the Hilton system, it is 12 months out for home resort owners, and I am hoping that it is the same for the Hyatt RC!

You are talking about the one that ended earlier today on eBay. I spoke with Hyatt about it when it was listed, it's a low level float 2 bed unit with a fixed week 37. You may book your deeded week a year in advance. You must book or relinquish six months from the use week. If you relinquish, you automatically get the points associated with the unit in your account.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
You are talking about the one that ended earlier today on eBay. I spoke with Hyatt about it when it was listed, it's a low level float 2 bed unit with a fixed week 37. You may book your deeded week a year in advance. You must book or relinquish six months from the use week. If you relinquish, you automatically get the points associated with the unit in your account.

Yes, Sapper, that is the one I was looking at! I want to be sure I understand how the system works before committing to a purchase, of course. So, if I am understanding correctly, if I was to purchase week 37, I would be able to book it up to a year in advance (so starting week 37 of the previous year), up to 6 months before week 37 (so until about week 13 of the use year). After that, I can use points to book anywhere that is available within the system, right??? Can I book any other week for the remainder of that year (e.g. the remainder of 2019 if that is the use year) or just up to the week 37 of that year since that is the week I would own. I am trying to figure out if it is even feasible to book week 40, for example.

Sorry if I don’t seem to get it. This system quite different from Hilton’s! TIA for helping me out.

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Is there a true float week within the Hyatt system? If so, how is that deeded and how do reservations work?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Is there a true float week within the Hyatt system? If so, how is that deeded and how do reservations work?
They started selling some float weeks as they were losing sales with folks wanting flexibility. When we went to a presentation they weren't pushing them but trying to steer folks to fixed weeks. If you do a search on here, there were some threads on it awhile back. It would be hard to find one for resale

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
There are some true float weeks at the Maui Hyatt, but the eBay one is not one of them. It is a fixed week in a floating unit.

I may be wrong, but I think it does not give any advantage for reserving weeks other than week 37, compared to points from other Hyatt resorts. Which means it will be difficult to reserve other weeks as availability is very limited.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I also watched that auction and was ready to bid up to $5k for it. It sold for $10k+. There are many errors in the listing. One of them is maintenance fees amount, this is definitely very wrong:

Estimated 2019 Maintenance Fees: $1164.16 Due Biennially on January 1st of Odd Years
Estimated 2019 Club Dues: $153.00 Due Annually on January 1st

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
To the OP: if you truly want to stay in Maui every year, you should buy in Maui. Why? It is notoriously hard to exchange into Maui from one of the other properties. Not impossible, but I wouldn't count on it every year and you would have to be willing to travel there during shoulder seasons as the peak seasons will either be used or rented. Just be aware that annual MF's are quite high compared to other properties, so you're definitely paying for the assurance of having a reserved spot in Maui every year.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, Sapper, that is the one I was looking at! I want to be sure I understand how the system works before committing to a purchase, of course. So, if I am understanding correctly, if I was to purchase week 37, I would be able to book it up to a year in advance (so starting week 37 of the previous year), up to 6 months before week 37 (so until about week 13 of the use year). After that, I can use points to book anywhere that is available within the system, right??? Can I book any other week for the remainder of that year (e.g. the remainder of 2019 if that is the use year) or just up to the week 37 of that year since that is the week I would own. I am trying to figure out if it is even feasible to book week 40, for example.

Sorry if I don’t seem to get it. This system quite different from Hilton’s! TIA for helping me out.

Just to clarify, you can use the associated points from 12 months out if you like, but doing so releases your unit (unless you book a partial week then use the points remaining). At six months out, your unit is released if you have not booked it, then you can only book the points. From 12 months to four months out you may shift points to II, closer than four months from your use week, you cannot shift points to II. From your use week to six months after your use week the points are in what is called LCUP (Limited Club Use Period). Limited because there is a restriction that anything you book must be used with in 60 days. After six months past your use week any remaining points expire. If you own week 37, you are only guaranteed week 37 in your unit. Now, if you see a week 40 available, and you have the points (even 11 months and 29 days from your use week), you can book week 40.

The Hawaii property is a little different than the other Hyatt properties in that it is possible to have one of the following: fixed week and fixed unit, fixed week and float unit in a specific unit level, or float week and float unit in a specific unit level.

Echino is correct that the maintenance fees quoted are substantially lower than the real fees. Possibly half what the ad stated, but I don't have the current HKB fees here.

WalnutBaron is correct that if you really want Hawaii, especially during a specific time (like when kids are out of school or a holiday), then you should buy in Hawaii. I do see Hawaii come up to trade into more frequently than Siesta Key or Northstar, but it is random availability... Some times a partial week, and one month it's a one bed unit, the next it's a three bed unit. They also disappear because people grab them. So, you may see one in the AM, call your spouse to verify she can get off work for that week, only to log back on that afternoon to find it has been taken (yes, this happened).

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Just to clarify, you can use the associated points from 12 months out if you like, but doing so releases your unit (unless you book a partial week then use the points remaining). At six months out, your unit is released if you have not booked it, then you can only book the points. From 12 months to four months out you may shift points to II, closer than four months from your use week, you cannot shift points to II. From your use week to six months after your use week the points are in what is called LCUP (Limited Club Use Period). Limited because there is a restriction that anything you book must be used with in 60 days. After six months past your use week any remaining points expire. If you own week 37, you are only guaranteed week 37 in your unit. Now, if you see a week 40 available, and you have the points (even 11 months and 29 days from your use week), you can book week 40.

The Hawaii property is a little different than the other Hyatt properties in that it is possible to have one of the following: fixed week and fixed unit, fixed week and float unit in a specific unit level, or float week and float unit in a specific unit level.

Echino is correct that the maintenance fees quoted are substantially lower than the real fees. Possibly half what the ad stated, but I don't have the current HKB fees here.

WalnutBaron is correct that if you really want Hawaii, especially during a specific time (like when kids are out of school or a holiday), then you should buy in Hawaii. I do see Hawaii come up to trade into more frequently than Siesta Key or Northstar, but it is random availability... Some times a partial week, and one month it's a one bed unit, the next it's a three bed unit. They also disappear because people grab them. So, you may see one in the AM, call your spouse to verify she can get off work for that week, only to log back on that afternoon to find it has been taken (yes, this happened).

This was VERY helpful. I was actually the winning bidder of that eBay auction, but I was able to cancel the sale due to a couple of errors I also noticed in the listing. It is now relisted with more accurate info — fixed week and annual dues.

So... I CAN book 12 months out elsewhere so long as a unit is available, which will release the week I own? I am fortunate in that my school district is on a modified year round schedule, so I can travel in the fall during my 2 week break. Hawaii seems to be more available during that time, so trading seems more feasible. If that is when I will primarily travel to Hawaii, should I really still seek to buy in Hawaii? Finding a specific week (like 39 or 40) seems like looking for a needle in a haystack!

Last edited:

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was VERY helpful. I was actually the winning bidder of that eBay auction, but I was able to cancel the sale due to a couple of errors I also noticed in the listing. It is now relisted with more accurate info — fixed week and annual dues.

So... I CAN book 12 months out elsewhere so long as a unit is available, which will release the week I own? I am fortunate in that my school district is on a modified year round schedule, so I can travel in the fall during my 2 week break. Hawaii seems to be more available during that time, so trading seems more feasible. If that is when I will primarily travel to Hawaii, should I really still seek to buy in Hawaii? Finding a specific week (like 39 or 40) seems like looking like a needle in a haystack!

Welcome.

I saw it had been resisted and wondered why. Thanks for the info.

Yes, as long as the week you want is available, and you have the points to cover it, you can book 12 months out.

The shoulder season should be easier to get... HOWEVER, you are at the whims of the people who own during those weeks to trade as opposed to using them selves or renting it out.

I am a proponent for buying where you want to go. Hyatt seems fairly unique in that you can buy both the exact unit and week you want, and you can convert it into points for use elsewhere. As the "points" type timeshare systems expand, I think the unit / week you want will become more valuable. There is also the possibility, no matter how improbable, that something happens which will limit our ability to trade with in the Hyatt system. For example, if Marriott decides to break up the properties or sell the system to some other entity that might cause problems for the owners. If you own your unit/week that you want to use, then the Hyatt system matters less because they cannot take your owned unit/week. If you own a different property that you never want to go to just because it has lower maintenance fees per point, and just trade, then the Hyatt system becomes very important to both the use and value of your unit. Take the system away, and it will negatively impact your use.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Why were the bids on this auction “private listing”?