• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchase from Developer or Resale Market?

Colby Meals

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to jump on.....sat through a sales presentation and man these guys are aggressive! I'm in sales for a living and thought many times they were way too over the top. Anyway, I was blown away by the cost of buying these points and didn't buy at the presentation. I came back and did some research and see that it's a heck of a lot cheaper on EBAY; however, my concern is are most of the companies selling on EBAY legitimate and I wouldn't be throwing my money into a scam? How do you check these companies out? Is there a difference in points (developer bought and resale bought points) and how to make reservations on Wyndham's website after purchasing? What "perks" would I miss out on? Or are the perks really not worth it? Thanks in advance for all your help!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Buy resale.

Next question ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
Buy resale.

Next question ?

x2

Hi everyone, just wanted to jump on.....sat through a sales presentation and man these guys are aggressive! I'm in sales for a living and thought many times they were way too over the top. Anyway, I was blown away by the cost of buying these points and didn't buy at the presentation. I came back and did some research and see that it's a heck of a lot cheaper on EBAY; however, my concern is are most of the companies selling on EBAY legitimate and I wouldn't be throwing my money into a scam? How do you check these companies out? Is there a difference in points (developer bought and resale bought points) and how to make reservations on Wyndham's website after purchasing? What "perks" would I miss out on? Or are the perks really not worth it? Thanks in advance for all your help!

unless you want to spend more for something that many of us got for "free".

just not worth it IMHO.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the part on difference in Wyndham Club Plus points at different ownership VIP levels, just google Wyndham Club Plus Members Diretorey 2014-2015. Depending what you want to do, VIP levels point levels are cost prohibitive for most. Do not be in a hurry and research the resort(s) you may want. In any case no one knows as a factual matter where Club Wyndham is going, so, two key factors would be where you want to go (ARP/RARP) and maintenance fees. I would strongly suggest you rent a off season rental at the resort(s) you would consider. You might want to say what resort you were at and what they were trying to sell you for those that are being just curious.

Lipekerri

Reaction score
Our last trip, we were told Wyndham was trying to "phase out" resell points and that eventually (in 5-10 years) resell points would be useless. Thoughts on that? Anyone been told that by sales?

ServeChilled

Reaction score
I am concerned about the same thing and that's why we haven't bought resale yet. However, in the same vein, how do they phase out a property you own by deed? Do the contracts say anything about Wyndham being able to take the property rights away from an owner?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only difference between points bought from the developer vs points purchased on the secondary market is that developer purchased points count toward vip status

The vip benefits have value (less now since the new rules) but the question is “are those benefits worth the cost?” I think not

Lipekerri

Reaction score
The guy we spoke to said resell points, moving forward, are "flagged". Somehow, flagged points won't have as much "buying power" as those you buy from them.

ServeChilled

Reaction score
The sales manager guy told me the same thing before I rescinded but he wouldn't explain to me what flagged meant, which, to me, means it's an empty threat.

CruiseGuy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Bonnet Creek, and Royal Vista
Our last trip, we were told Wyndham was trying to "phase out" resell points and that eventually (in 5-10 years) resell points would be useless. Thoughts on that? Anyone been told that by sales?

Anyone seriously considering buying retail points should immediately challenge this statement! The salesman are also trying to tell you that the purchase is an investment in one breath, and then telling you that the points you buy are worthless and you won't be able to get rid of them (because they will be resale points). It's basically true because resale points sell for pennies on the dollar already, but they need to be asked why Wyndham would take steps to further devalue the purchase they are trying to get you to make. And this being the case, why should anyone ever consider buying retail.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contracts being "Flagged" is not new, it has been going on at least as long as I have been with Wyndham (many years).

Lipekerri

Reaction score
We don't really care about upgrades and all the other benefits of silver + memberships. Our thinking is points are points, right? This guy made it sound that even if we have 1 million points, they may be useless in 5-10 years. Just curious if any other sales people are using that tactic.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't really care about upgrades and all the other benefits of silver + memberships. Our thinking is points are points, right? This guy made it sound that even if we have 1 million points, they may be useless in 5-10 years. Just curious if any other sales people are using that tactic.

They have been doing that for years

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am concerned about the same thing and that's why we haven't bought resale yet. However, in the same vein, how do they phase out a property you own by deed? Do the contracts say anything about Wyndham being able to take the property rights away from an owner?

To understand what might or might not be possible you have to understand the structure of the club and just what, exactly, points are

What we know as Club Wyndham is essentially an exchange mechanism whereby the owners of one resort can stay at another resort

So how is that done?

We assign our use rights to the club and in exchange we get points. The points are then used as currency to make reservations at any of the resorts in the club

So could they give us our use rights back and make our points worthless? Sure they could. It happens now. Don’t pay the program fees for a converted fixed week any that week will revert to being a fixed week. I’m not sure that it can happen with a UDI deed but more to the point if they did you would only be able to make reservations at your home resort. Which kind of frustrates the whole concept of an exchange club. It aint gonna happen

Here’s where I think things are going. I don’t know how, but Wyndham will gain complete control of the secondary market. I’m betting that they will start buying contracts back.

So ultimately, if you want Wyndham points, the only place to get them will be from Wyndham

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some resorts that were early Fairfield Resorts have clauses that the HOA must vote to continue or liquidate after a specified period of time. Review the contract and program documents if this is of concern to you to see if a clause like that exists. What happens if the HOA involved does not continue, I do not know what happens. In some cases, Wyndham can toss a HOA or the HOA can toss Wyndham.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Join TUG, check the Marketplace rent a place and decide where you want to buy. There is lot of good advice here. We all have bought resales and for the most part, are happy with our timeshares.
Silentg

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Our last trip, we were told Wyndham was trying to "phase out" resell points and that eventually (in 5-10 years) resell points would be useless. Thoughts on that?
If their lips were moving, chances are they were lying.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale owners are flagged with Member numbers beginning with 00999****** These are flagged as resale accounts.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here’s where I think things are going. I don’t know how, but Wyndham will gain complete control of the secondary market. I’m betting that they will start buying contracts back.

So ultimately, if you want Wyndham points, the only place to get them will be from Wyndham

They've always had ROFR. As far as I know they've never exercised it. That's the only way to "corner" the market. If ovation takes enough inventory off market for $0 or close to $0 then prices on secondary market will rise.

My belief is there will always be a secondary market where purchases are possible for pennies on the dollar. How many pennies? That remains to be seen.

Supply and demand.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 999 xx xxxx accounts maybe mostly re-sale, some are not. Mine is not. This code, I believe, just means corporate issues it instead of a sales office. Of all my deeded contracts only Towers on the Grove has a right of first refusal. It has been a long time since I have looked at one, but, the sheet the sales rep runs out per contract on your account has a block that indicates if it is re-sale or not.

Last edited:

djohn75087

Reaction score

Resale owners pay program fees, reservation transaction fees, and at times house keeping fees. We also pay some resorts for parking, wifi, and activities. If they kicked us out kicked they would lose a bunch of money. On top of that many would walk away from their timeshares. Wyndham might be happy to take back some timeshares but they need some of us to stick around to keep this thing profitable. I don't think they'll do this because they like charging my CC every month. If they did this I would probably walk away from my timeshare and go the Airbnb route.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale owners are flagged with Member numbers beginning with 00999****** These are flagged as resale accounts.
yes and no

Ive had a 999 account with a developer purchased contract in it as well as converted Pahio contracts that counted toward VIP

and Ive had accounts with nothing but resale contracts that didnt have a 999 account number

The important thing isnt the member number, its the contract itself. resales should be flagged as resale