• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Rico?

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the Maria damage to PR and Hacienda del Mar being significantly more than that experienced with Irma in FL, Hacienda del Mar is closed until Feb 28, 2018. Would not be surprised if a future update moved that out farther.

Andysol

Reaction score
Hi all- new to the forum and it’s been a wealth of info.

I’m a DVC member and own at three resorts. This Hyatt program, yikes- much harder to wrap my head around.
What I like about DVC is the simplicity, clearly, the new program is trying to do that- but I have serious reservations about its long term viability by not allowing existing members to convert. And the shared maintenance fees only exasterbate that- it will never have a resort in Hawaii with that concept- only moderately desirable locations. And all with the same time frame to Book and no distinction in “home booking” preference. Yikes. How would you like to buy into Aspen with enough points to ski in peak season but instead you’re left with a 2 bedroom in San Antonio for September instead with a couple thousand points to transfer to a poor Hyatt Points conversion rate.

All that roundabout talk to say, I just had my presentation this morning and am staying at Wild Oak ranch- Love the Resort and I’m interested in buying.

My criteria is as follows:
-I can travel at any time and don’t need a particular season
-I need to be able to book Maui or exchange into somewhere in Hawaii- again- I don’t need a particular season. The reason is I will “rent” the room back to my company for business expenses. A 1BR or studio is more than sufficient.

We are studio people, and with DVC- I bought with the sole purpose to rent 100-150 and use the other 100. That allowed me to go for “free” as it covered my maintenance costs.

*How easy is it to transfer into other resorts?
*How easy is it to book Maui off-season if it’s not my home resort?
*Can I exchange into (forget the name) if I buy resale and is it worth the value?

Last question, and the reason I posted in this thread :)
*If I we’re able to buy into a Puerto Rico Diamond week for next to nothing, would it be acceptable even if I never planned on going there?

Thanks all- sorry for the ridiculously long first post.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Mods...would you consider moving this particular question to the Hyatt Residence Portfolio thread as it won't get a lot of traction on the Puerto Rico thread, which is related to the effects of the hurricane?

To Andy's questions:

1. It is reasonably easy to transfer to most other resorts within the HRC system as long as you have flexibility on time of year and season (which you do). Remember that most availability comes 6 months prior to your requested date(s), as that is when the Home Resort Preference Period for owners expires, and they then must either activate their fixed week or give it up for internal trade. That is when the points attached to your ownership will also activate to allow you to trade internally.
  2. Maui is extremely difficult, made even more difficult by a recent referendum passed by Hyatt Ka'anapali owners. It's not impossible, but much more difficult to trade into than Westin Hawaii resorts through ownership in a mandatory resort like Westin Kierland Village in Arizona.
  3. Your last question relates to the new Hyatt Residence Portfolio system, which is being slowly introduced to prospective new owners like yourself. I advise you to spend a lot of time on this BBS reading the HRP thread as well as a sister thread entitled "Hyatt Pure Points". You will find that TUG members who own within the Hyatt Residence Club (separate and distinct from HRP) believe that HRC is a significantly better value and that there is speculation that Hyatt is having a hard time selling the new HRP due to higher maintenance fees and lack of a deed to any actual property, with no Home Resort preference.
  4. Your final question about Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar (Puerto Rico) is, as I understand it, basically asking if this property is good internal trader. The answer is no. Much better to buy at Hyatt Pinon Pointe, which has the lowest annual MF's in the Hyatt system and use it to trade internally. In addition, there is a real concern that the Puerto Rico property may be asking its owners to pay a special assessment to fund repairs after Hurricane Irma.
Read the stickies on the Hyatt system at the top of the Hyatt Forum to get a good understanding of how the Hyatt system works.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Mods...would you consider moving this particular question to the Hyatt Residence Portfolio thread as it won't get a lot of traction on the Puerto Rico thread, which is related to the effects of the hurricane?
Since the Hyatt forum doesn't have a dedicated moderator, there is no guaranty that a mod will ever see this message. Your best bet to get this moved it to send a private message directly to a moderator requesting the move.

Andysol

Reaction score

To Andy's questions:

1. It is reasonably easy to transfer to most other resorts within the HRC system as long as you have flexibility on time of year and season (which you do). Remember that most availability comes 6 months prior to your requested date(s), as that is when the Home Resort Preference Period for owners expires, and they then must either activate their fixed week or give it up for internal trade. That is when the points attached to your ownership will also activate to allow you to trade internally.
  2. Maui is extremely difficult, made even more difficult by a recent referendum passed by Hyatt Ka'anapali owners. It's not impossible, but much more difficult to trade into than Westin Hawaii resorts through ownership in a mandatory resort like Westin Kierland Village in Arizona.
  3. Your last question relates to the new Hyatt Residence Portfolio system, which is being slowly introduced to prospective new owners like yourself. I advise you to spend a lot of time on this BBS reading the HRP thread as well as a sister thread entitled "Hyatt Pure Points". You will find that TUG members who own within the Hyatt Residence Club (separate and distinct from HRP) believe that HRC is a significantly better value and that there is speculation that Hyatt is having a hard time selling the new HRP due to higher maintenance fees and lack of a deed to any actual property, with no Home Resort preference.
  4. Your final question about Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar (Puerto Rico) is, as I understand it, basically asking if this property is good internal trader. The answer is no. Much better to buy at Hyatt Pinon Pointe, which has the lowest annual MF's in the Hyatt system and use it to trade internally. In addition, there is a real concern that the Puerto Rico property may be asking its owners to pay a special assessment to fund repairs after Hurricane Irma.
Read the stickies on the Hyatt system at the top of the Hyatt Forum to get a good understanding of how the Hyatt system works.

I appreciate all the info. I’ve read the stickies and have read up on everything pretty thoroughly. Even being a timeshare owner for several years, the HRC system is pretty confusing (in comparison to DVC at least). HPP is certainly more straightforward and easy to sell- but when you dig deep into it, it’s an incredibly flawed system. No way I’d buy into it.

As for PR- the only reason I’m considering it is because I might be able to get a diamond for nothing. But @ $1600MF, it still might be a bad buy.

It truly feels like a gamble right now. Is HPP going to succeed simply due to attrition which will make HRC dimenish on trade front (which is what I’d want)- and no one knows that answer. I suppose a “free” PR contract might be as safe a gamble as possible- unless I can’t offload it :/

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the info. I’ve read the stickies and have read up on everything pretty thoroughly. Even being a timeshare owner for several years, the HRC system is pretty confusing (in comparison to DVC at least). HPP is certainly more straightforward and easy to sell- but when you dig deep into it, it’s an incredibly flawed system. No way I’d buy into it.

As for PR- the only reason I’m considering it is because I might be able to get a diamond for nothing. But @ $1600MF, it still might be a bad buy.

It truly feels like a gamble right now. Is HPP going to succeed simply due to attrition which will make HRC dimenish on trade front (which is what I’d want)- and no one knows that answer. I suppose a “free” PR contract might be as safe a gamble as possible- unless I can’t offload it :/

I wouldn't be so sure you're going to get a diamond week for next to nothing; Hyatt has ROFR. Regarding Maui, I cannot stress how difficult it is to get a full week of any type room. There have been some reports by HRC owners, but it is extremely rare, so in no way, would I count on it. We had an ongoing request for a partial week during a non-peak time and had no luck whatsoever. We own Westin Kierland and will be going back to Hawaii this Spring for the third time - no problem at all in getting Hawaii (as was previously mentioned). Of course WKV will run around 15-17k and worth every penney. Also, I would not buy into HRC now, unless you buy where you want to go (too much uncertainty in the Hyatt system), although they are excellent traders in II. We have gotten some excellent trades into Marriotts in Palm Desert and Singer Island.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score

Under "normal" conditions, PR is a difficult situation. The adjacent hotel property has been closed for many years and this harms the PR setting. In addition, a purchase transaction requires a PR attorney involvement and a long process to close the deal. Now under the "current" situation, we don't know the specifics on insurance deductible but Hyatt often has a very high deduct to maintain lower premiums. So it could be a situation where those funds are taken from the reserve account, but that doesn't pencil out as that money is for resort replacements. Pay me now, or pay me later. Therefore, the likely outcome is a special assessment. Besides, the MFs are already high. My guess is Hyatt would not take a resale on ROFR. That's the last thing they need is unsold PR inventory.

IF I could get a unit for ZERO dollars, I would definitely spend those ZERO dollars on anything else but PR. I'll take the FREE LUNCH, thank you.

Andysol

Reaction score
Under "normal" conditions, PR is a difficult situation. The adjacent hotel property has been closed for many years and this harms the PR setting. In addition, a purchase transaction requires a PR attorney involvement and a long process to close the deal. Now under the "current" situation, we don't know the specifics on insurance deductible but Hyatt often has a very high deduct to maintain lower premiums. So it could be a situation where those funds are taken from the reserve account, but that doesn't pencil out as that money is for resort replacements. Pay me now, or pay me later. Therefore, the likely outcome is a special assessment. Besides, the MFs are already high. My guess is Hyatt would not take a resale on ROFR. That's the last thing they need is unsold PR inventory.

IF I could get a unit for ZERO dollars, I would definitely spend those ZERO dollars on anything else but PR. I'll take the FREE LUNCH, thank you.

Thanks. I was awaiting your response- certainly will heed your advice.
That was actually my fear- if they don’t ROFR it for a dollar, then that should tell you everything you need to know.

Last edited:

dahntahn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs, Hyatt Beach House, Hyatt Coconut Plantation

Kal - TANSTAAFL - There ain't' no such thing as a free lunch. (R A. heinlein).

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kal - TANSTAAFL - There ain't' no such thing as a free lunch. (R A. heinlein).

This is so true. Some are excited to get a TS for next to nothing, but are surprised when they can't sell it, and have to keep paying MFs..

Reaction score
I’m a DVC member and own at three resorts. This Hyatt program, yikes- much harder to wrap my head around.What I like about DVC is the simplicity, clearly, the new program is trying to do that- but I have serious reservations about its long term viability by not allowing existing members to convert.

All that roundabout talk to say, I just had my presentation this morning and am staying at Wild Oak ranch- Love the Resort and I’m interested in buying.

My criteria is as follows:
-I can travel at any time and don’t need a particular season
-I need to be able to book Maui or exchange into somewhere in Hawaii- again- I don’t need a particular season. The reason is I will “rent” the room back to my company for business expenses. A 1BR or studio is more than sufficient.

We are studio people, and with DVC- I bought with the sole purpose to rent 100-150 and use the other 100. That allowed me to go for “free” as it covered my maintenance costs.

*How easy is it to transfer into other resorts?
*How easy is it to book Maui off-season if it’s not my home resort?

I too am a DVC member and really wanted to join Hyatt. After doing my research I decided on Key West Beach club 2,200 resale and found a seller for $7500 but lost it to ROFR.

I doubt I will try to buy a Hyatt as there are too many issues for me and there is no single location I want to return often. I would LOVE to trade into Hawaii, Carmel, Aspen, Siesta, but those are the hardest ones to get in Hyatt.

If you want Maui, you will have to buy there.

If you like Wild Oak or Bonita Springs, those are easy to get on trade.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.

To Andy's questions:

HEY !! Hyatt points are Hyatt points!! RIGHT ?, (That come from deeded ownership at any Resort - I'm not talking about Hyatt Pure Points However).

The Hyatt points then are all the same and all have the same value. It does not matter where you bought them (or got them), OR WHAT YOU PIAD for them each, they all have the same value in the club for making internal reservations at any HRC property. i.e. "When you spend them" ! (If you can ever find availability to actually spend them outside your own preferred times at your home resort). I've so far managed to say at least once, and in some many times, in every HRC there is since my first purchase at Mountain Lodge at Beaver Creek in 1993.

I have HRC points (derived from purchasing at the deeded HRC properties and two resale's) that have cost me anywhere from $20 a point to $0.0 dollars a point (I.e. Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar were last year I bought one week for $19 that comes with 1300 points.) Remember that Aspen sold for over $32 a point on average. But points that cost me $1 or less, cost have the same purchasing power and value per point as any other point in the system.

So I therefore take issue with what you say in your #4 point above. To me buying in the HRC system comes down to FIRST: Buy the one you really like, want to use the most, and the week you must have. THEN, after that first purchase, if you want more, it comes down to just buying at the lowest cost per point and lowest $ per point Maintenance fee, and it does not matter which club you buy at.

Could you please expand on what you meant about the Hyatt Ka'anapali owners recently did that will make it harder to ever trade into there than it already is or was. Thank You

Also as the owner of 2 weeks at Hacienda dell Mar, I don't think damages at the resort amount to very much, and or what will be covered by insurance. Speculation about a special assessment is just that with no basis to say that at this time. .

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yes, Hyatt Residence Club points are points, and can be used throughout the HRC system. In that sense, your objection to my Point #4 is correct in that whether you own at Del Mar, Pinon Pointe, or any other HRC property, your ability to trade within the HRC system is the same. However, since Pinon Pointe's MF's are the lowest in the HRC system, the best internal "trader"--if you want to call it that--would be Pinon Pointe. This particular discussion string started with questions from a non-owner who was asking primarily about how to trade within HRC, and that is why I recommended Pinon Pointe.

As with any system, however, I also agree with your main premise: buy what you really like first and foremost. I happen to really like Pinon Pointe and Carmel Highlands, and that's why I own there.

Regarding Ka'anapali, please refer to this thread, which details efforts to stop what turned out to be a favorable vote to allow Hyatt/ILG to re-classify 33 unsold units at Ka'anapali, and therefore making it much more difficult to trade into that property (and that was only one of the many impacts).

Finally, with regard to Del Mar, you say that it is unlikely that a special assessment will be due after the hurricane damage is cleaned up and repaired because "damages don't amount to very much". That would be great news if it is correct.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Andysol, we own DVC and Hyatt (and Marriott & Starwood- er, sorry, Vistana). Maybe this is just because it was my first timeshare but I don't find Hyatt any more confusing than DVC. Once you wrap your head around the rules, and recognize the differences between the systems, they are both pretty easy to use.

One of the most-important but often overlooked things IMO is knowing your exit strategy for your TS. This is hardly on one's radar with DVC because it has strong resale value and also the contracts expire eventually.

But for every other timeshare I think it's important to consider how you'll get rid of it. If someone is giving away a Platinum Hyatt week, consider what it will take to get rid of it yourself someday. You might get stuck with it for years, trades might dry up and your only option is to vacation every year in PR or pay your MF & get nothing in return.

If you want to go to Maui, I'm not sure I'd buy Hyatt at all. Marriott or Westin would make more sense. I personally would never consider buying in Maui, I'm not sure if you heard about the additional tax levied by local authorities on TS owners at Westin Kaanapali? I think it was reversed but based on that my take is that local govt sees TS owners as a source to be bilked, and it's not like you get a vote in the local elections. Far better to trade in unless you really need Maui every year.

To me, the best approach for any TS is to buy a driveable distance at a place you wouldn't mind staying at every year if it came to that. Then consider a combo of purchase price, anticipated resale value, and MFs. For me, this means in Hyatt it boils down to Tahoe, Carmel, or Sedona. We bought in Tahoe because to us it offered a good mix of resale value & MF. Carmel is a little expensive MF-wise if you trade a lot (which we do), but I'd buy it if I was going to stay there frequently. Although you never know- we're heading to our home resort for the first time in 10 years next Sept. Whereas we've been to Carmel every year for the past 4-5 years.

I'd start by making a list of driveable Hyatt resorts and see if any of those seem to make sense.

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
TO: WalnutBaron;

OK . I'm very sorry about that. Your Point is taken. I was incorrectly paraphrasing what you said. Which was originally: "However, since Pinon Pointe's MF's are the lowest in the HRC system, the best internal "trader"--if you want to call it that--would be Pinon Pointe." Guess I jumped over the "MF" qualification you made, because I was probably thinking more about the cost per point based on the market price of some resell prices I've seen and taken advantage of more so than the cost per point of the maintenance fee.. However I do think that other HVC resells are possibly a much better cost per point ( for internal trade purposes ) than currently buying at Pinon Point is, or may be. Two sides of the same coin you might say. One will have to decide which of the two factors is the most important to them. For me it's the initial cost per point. Next time I will think through things more carefully before I jump in critically. So again please accept my apology, and best regards to you. Thank You. Perry / Arvada Colorado

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
-##-

Yes, Hyatt Residence Club points are points, and can be used throughout the HRC system. In that sense, your objection to my Point #4 is correct in that whether you own at Del Mar, Pinon Pointe, or any other HRC property, your ability to trade within the HRC system is the same. However, since Pinon Pointe's MF's are the lowest in the HRC system, the best internal "trader"--if you want to call it that--would be Pinon Pointe. This particular discussion string started with questions from a non-owner who was asking primarily about how to trade within HRC, and that is why I recommended Pinon Pointe.

As with any system, however, I also agree with your main premise: buy what you really like first and foremost. I happen to really like Pinon Pointe and Carmel Highlands, and that's why I own there.

Regarding Ka'anapali, please refer to this thread, which details efforts to stop what turned out to be a favorable vote to allow Hyatt/ILG to re-classify 33 unsold units at Ka'anapali, and therefore making it much more difficult to trade into that property (and that was only one of the many impacts).

Finally, with regard to Del Mar, you say that it is unlikely that a special assessment will be due after the hurricane damage is cleaned up and repaired because "damages don't amount to very much". That would be great news if it is correct.

Yes. I did see the original post where he asked:

"Last question, and the reason I posted in this thread :)
If I we’re able to buy into a Puerto Rico Diamond week for next to nothing, would it be acceptable even if I never planned on going there?"

My answer would be YES ! Absolutely. Probably the least costly option he will find. Because it is actually a very nice place, and the cost per point would be very low, probably much less than most club resale market prices. Even better than Pinion Point. ( Which I've came to love also - if I'm in a one bedroom - in the new section. I even like Wild Oak Ranch - San Antonio. I do however, have a problem with the clubs that only have dedicated 2 bedrooms, and no studios or one bedrooms. )

And I would have said YES to buy at Hacienda Del Mar - Puerto Rico while you can even before the Hurricane. Its only going to get better over time. And I like it the way it is now. But will do so even more when the old Cerromar Beach Hotel (Originally built by Rockefeller,) is torn down. I had 6 straight weeks reserved this year at Hacienda Del Mar, Dorado Puerto Rico, from NOV 4th to DEC 9th that have been cancelled by Hyatt. I have done the same several times in past years. Even stayed all of December and Christmas several times. So I am disappointed. And I'm not sure how the options that Hyatt HQ offered concerning my cancelled reservations and points is actually going to work out.