• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Puerto Rico?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Following on the Key West thread, has anyone heard how Dorado in PR is doing?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
PR have been without running water, electricity, cell phone and internet service for the passed four (4) consecutive days and nights.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware PR is having serious issues in general. I was curious if anyone had specific information re the Hyatt in Dorado. Is everyone ok, how did the property fare in light of the disaster going on around them.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hyatt Residence Club Dorado, Hacienda del Mar
· September 22 at 4:52pm ·
Thank you to everyone who has sent well-wishes over the past couple of days to our Hyatt Residence Club Dorado family as they battled the effects of Hurricane Maria.

Given the magnitude of the storm, 95% of the island is still without power or phone service. We are pleased to report we have received confirmation from resort manager, Jon Dindo, that he and his leadership team are safe and they are working to verify the safety of all our Associates.

Access to the resort has bee...n difficult due to area flooding. We do know that the resort sustained damage, but ask for your patience while we evaluate the extent of the damage.

We understand your concerns and assure you our goal is to keep you informed with the latest and most accurate information. We will share details as they become available.

If you have questions regarding an upcoming reservation, please call +1 800.GO.HYATT or email info@hyattresidenceclub.com to discuss your options.

Thank you for your understanding during this difficult time.

I think the access to the area is still very tough. Still no power, still little food and water, still much flooding.

An update site: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdob...an-luxury-resort-damage-reports/#5e3d3d9c19e4

Somewhere down in the 12 min timeframe is Ritz Carlton....the Hyatt is nearby, right?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rob. Yes, the Ritz is literally just up the road from the Hyatt.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today indicating that hotels that are open or plan to re-open shortly are going to be in very high demand over the next several months, mainly for housing of relief workers and displaced residents--not necessarily for tourists. The Journal reported that the tourist business "is likely to be moribund for the indefinite future".

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rob. Yes, the Ritz is literally just up the road from the Hyatt.
Bear in mind that Rob's post features info from 5 days ago, just after the hurricane passed. Oh, and nice avatar. :)

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
PR recovery could be faster if was not for that ancient maritime Act called The Jones Act.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Jones Act was waived for Texas and Florida and it need to be waived for PR.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The video was not current, but there are other pics and vids that are.....

The waters have receded, but the damage is done. The main issue, IMHO, is: No power, No water, No food, No open roads. Few flights, No transportation (for tourists) etc....

I hope the recovery is swift, but at this point, it's going to be a long haul. While the resorts might be dry, powered and have some food/water/services, you still have to get to the island, get to the resort and have something to do when you get there. And, workers need to have the

God speed PR, it's going to be a long journey I fear.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The Jones Act was waived for Texas and Florida and it need to be waived for PR.

They must have heard you..... Jones Act waived for PR

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
The video was not current, but there are other pics and vids that are.....

Few flights, No transportation (for tourists) etc....

God speed PR, it's going to be a long journey I fear.

Even if the video were not current in the sense that it was not shot in the last couple of days, it does document the devastation that occurred. So, it is still useful information.

I was not even thinking tourist flights yet. They just got their radar back up on Monday. Prior to that, even humanitarian flights (relief supplies, people and equipment) were facing six hour ground delays.

Agreed, I hate to say it, but I think it will be many years of rebuilding.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The HRC PR owners could get hit with a special assessment to repair the property. Thus a double wammy, no occupancy and more costs.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The HRC PR owners could get hit with a special assessment to repair the property. Thus a double wammy, no occupancy and more costs.
It all depends on the extent and terms of the property's insurance policy. Hopefully, the MF's will cover the deductible portion and the rest of the damage will be covered, but a special assessment is certainly possible (as is the case for many Caribbean timeshares affected by Irma and Maria).

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone set up a fund we could contribute to that would go directly to the employees of the Hyatts impacted? I feel that indirectly they are our employees, and so some form of responsibility to help them. Not to mention, every Hyatt we have visited, the staff have always been very helpful, so feel its our turn to help them. Having a house that flooded here in Houston, I can tell you that any help is greatfully appreciated.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great idea, Sapper. I suggest you start a new thread with the appropriate title. Unfortunately, there are very few Hyatt owners who participate regularly on this forum, but if you start the ball rolling, I am sure us regulars will be happy to contribute. Would you be willing to collect checks and find out how to get the money to the HRC properties affected by Irma and Maria?

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great idea, Sapper. I suggest you start a new thread with the appropriate title. Unfortunately, there are very few Hyatt owners who participate regularly on this forum, but if you start the ball rolling, I am sure us regulars will be happy to contribute. Would you be willing to collect checks and find out how to get the money to the HRC properties affected by Irma and Maria?

Yes, I would be willing to start something small (ie, open a seperate bank account to ensure no co mingling of funds, etc), and contact the impacted properties to distribute funds to the folks on the ground. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has done this in the past and could tell me the best way to do things, and also act as a third party to verify things are done correctly.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I would be willing to start something small (ie, open a seperate bank account to ensure no co mingling of funds, etc), and contact the impacted properties to distribute funds to the folks on the ground. I would appreciate any help from anyone who has done this in the past and could tell me the best way to do things, and also act as a third party to verify things are done correctly.
Admirable. I'd be willing to help and serve as your collaborator. Another idea would be to see if TUGBrian would want us to collect money in TUG's name and be involved in the distribution of monies to those most in need.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great, happy to have the help! I sent an email to Brian. I'll let you know what he says.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
They must have heard you..... Jones Act waived for PR
From everything I have read, it doesn't seem that the Jones Act was really stopping aid from getting TO Puerto Rico. Their port was and is full of containers full of aid. The issue seems to be the logistics of getting that aid out throughout the island. Truck driver homes and vehicles are destroyed with no real way to get anywhere to be able to transport the containers. Puerto Rico does get much of its fuel from the mainland USA. They seemed to have fuel in the port, but again no way to really get it to the people that need it. It comes down to logistics of moving the aid.