• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan refurbishment

kwinky

Reaction score
Heard today that PB Mazatlan would be closing at or about the end of this month for the long promised total remodeling. Due to reopen 2019. No word on the impact to the shuttle service between Emerald Bay and town. Kind of wondering if this will put pressure on room availability at Emerald Bay. Personally I think maybe not so much because all of the original contracts should be expired. Just wondering what anyone else knows.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The whole city is being refurbed. We are at the Inn at Maz, & it should be closed for rebuild, but isn't. There are new hotels/resorts everywhere. Centro has new lighting, sidewalks, pavement. No more buses in Centro except to/from the Market. There is a travel convention here in April & they are out to make an impression.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if my info wasn't specific to PB.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Heard today that PB Mazatlan would be closing at or about the end of this month for the long promised total remodeling. Due to reopen 2019. No word on the impact to the shuttle service between Emerald Bay and town. Kind of wondering if this will put pressure on room availability at Emerald Bay. Personally I think maybe not so much because all of the original contracts should be expired. Just wondering what anyone else knows.

Did they say when (what month) they will re-open in 2019? I would like to visit after the re-model.

kwinky

Reaction score
No word on reopen date, other than 2019. Nothing on PB web site either. Maybe hard to pinpoint at this time. There is a lot of other construction going on in Mazatlan, available resources sure to impact PB.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I expect that PB won't keep the expected finish date a secret. In fact, my guess is that they will be open, though still under construction as soon as the majority is 'habitable'. We were just at the Inn at Mazatlan down the street, which is undergoing refurbishment. It was not real pleasant. Multiple jackhammers from 8:30am til 8:00pm, and heavy trucks and equipment coming and going. I am anxious to see the results, but will patiently wait until they are much closer to completion. As an aside, we chatted with some owners, who have been told that they MUST upgrade or be relinquished to older, worn-out units. (This at the Inn, not PB) Sounded like Vidanta tactic.

FWIW, there are so many new resorts in Maz, that you can stay in one of them and watch the rejuvenation of the city from a comfortable distance. There is a new Holiday Inn in the original Golden Zone. A new Marriott is going in next to it. The whole block from 'Dairy Queen corner' to the beach has been scraped to put a huge new resort there. The Nuevo Mazatlan area around the new marina seems to be bustling. The Centro Historico has never looked better. You can't swing a cat without hitting yet another great restaurant. Lots going on and a great time for local construction workers, but it's not without growing pains. We hope that when it's done we can still afford to go there.

Jim

kwinky

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect a completion date would be a secret but plans seem to change at PB. I first heard about the refurb 3 years ago. It was supposed to be done in halfs with the resort staying open. I also heard they were going to finish the golf course at Emerald Bay. I recently heard they were obtaining a property in Cancun. Everything seems to happen eventually, just not timely. I don't know if they were planning on remodeling the restaurants in PB Mazatlan. Maybe not economical to operate the dining if only part of the rooms are occupied.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I got this yesterday afternoon. We are PBEB owners.

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan Commences
Much-Anticipated Luxury Makeover

Dear Pueblo Bonito Owners:

We are delighted to announce that Pueblo Bonito Mazatlán Beach Resort, the original Pueblo Bonito ("Beautiful Village") property, will begin a $26.5 million renovation next week. Located along the famous Zona Dorada, or Golden Zone of Mazatlán, this resort set the bar for luxury travel in the destination when it opened 30 years ago, launching one of the most successful resort brands in Mexico.

Although all elements of the resorts will be updated, the property's two sections will maintain their distinctive character. There will be an extensive two-phase process, and at least half of the resort will remain open throughout the renovation so that we may continue to offer you a Pueblo Bonito vacation with the superior service and amenities you've come to expect. During the renovation period, the developers will use the latest technology to help control dust and noise.

The new and exciting upgrades have been designed to take advantage of the hotel's magnificent beachfront setting, and will include the addition of a beachfront infinity pool in one wing, and a "beach terrace" with fire pits and shaded areas in the other wing. Other upgrades will include updates to the façade and suites, a remodel and expansion of the lobby, and a redesign of the resort's four restaurants and bars that will include added capacity for diners and patrons. The entire project is scheduled to be completed by November 2019.

This major undertaking will breathe new life into our wonderful resort, while retaining and building upon its old-world charm that you have come to love over the years. We are very excited to begin the transformation, and are pleased to inform you that owners with universal points will continue to be able to use their points at the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, both during and after the renovation.

We invite you to visit us this year and look forward to welcoming you!

Best regards,

The Pueblo Bonito Group