• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

public TS companies' financial statements

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
ever shown gross profit margin per week vs construction cost?

(or total sales for sold out, vs construction cost)

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mariott spun their Timeshare Unit into a seperate closely held corpration which has no SEC reporting requirements.

Hilton corp was taken private when the Blackstone Group acquired them

Not Sure if DVC, Hilton or Westin report on their timeshare holdings seperate

Despite the name there is a charge

There's a site called http://freeedgar.com/ where SEC filings can be located:

http://sec.edgar-online.com/wyndham-worldwide-corp/10-k-annual-report/2012/02/17/section36.aspx

Not seeing the 2012 Annual Report available yet

Somewhere on TUG is a powerpoint presentation the outlines the cost of sales on the timeshare product with different margins for selling new customers versus the existing owners

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure where I posted before!

Wyndham's costs and profits!

Description-...........................New Buyer.....Current Owner

Selling price in thousands..............$17K...............$22K

Brick, Stick and Mortar..................20% .................20%

Selling............................................58....................32

Bad debts.......................................16....................12

Profit.................................. .............6 ....................36

Source: Main Man at security analysts presentations and SEC 10K

If you go to WWW web site and I assume others there is a financial section where you can review the entire post which I excerpted above info from and a direct link to annual SEC 10K..

The 10K is very formal legal and financial document with tons of info about a company's operations. The PR operation takes and extracts selected financial data from it , adds lot of pretty pictures and some BS from Main Main and send to owners as annual report.

Also, for Wyndham audited annual financials are available for VOI Trust and CWA Trust!

Last edited:

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
Despite the name there is a charge

There's a site called http://freeedgar.com/ where SEC filings can be located:

http://sec.edgar-online.com/wyndham-worldwide-corp/10-k-annual-report/2012/02/17/section36.aspx

Not seeing the 2012 Annual Report available yet

Somewhere on TUG is a powerpoint presentation the outlines the cost of sales on the timeshare product with different margins for selling new customers versus the existing owners
ever shown - has anyone ever seen

i use http://www.sec.gov/edgar/searchedgar/companysearch.html if not company site

dont care about cost of sales / net

what i mean is (building cost divided by units) and (sold out total sales divided by units divided by 52 weeks)

Last edited:

rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
The accepted industry financial performance for the development of timeshare resorts is, as a percentage of the average selling price:

25% - product costs
- - - - - land acquisition and construction OR inventory acquisition
50% - sales and marketing costs
- - - - - lead generation
- - - - - tour costs
- - - - - sales commissions
- - - - - sales administration
25% - profit margin
- - - - - overhead (interest, utilities, taxes, maintenance, etc on unsold units)
- - - - - operating profit

I assume that overhead and operating profit were lumped together because if the developer has a good sales staff and the resort is sold out quickly, the overhead portion of the profit margin is low and the operating profit is high.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The accepted industry financial performance for the development of timeshare resorts is, as a percentage of the average selling price:

25% - product costs
- - - - - tour costs
25% - profit margin
- - - - - overhead (interest, utilities, taxes, maintenance, etc on unsold units)

I assume that overhead and operating profit were lumped together because if the developer has a good sales staff and the resort is sold out quickly, the overhead portion of the profit margin is low and the operating profit is high.

They can also offset overhead by renting out unsold units.

pacodemountainside

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure where OP is coming from, but virtually all companies consider detailed financial information propriety and only available to senior accounting staff and top management.

So, lets take a ball park approach.

Developer buys a few acres in vacation area and is going to put up 10 two BR condos with 10 units each which will cost $300K per unit. His savvy accountant points out that would be 100 units and maybe $50K profit each. However, if he makes TSs he can make a lot more money. So Developer has 50 Intervals per unit (keeps a couple for himself) which he sells for average of $30K depending on season/demand. This brings in $1,500,000. Of course, to do this he has to spend around a $900K for scamming sales weasels. So it cost him $300K to build, $900K to sell and he has $300K profit.

But the real real kicker is he(HOA) sign a life time contract for him to manage at cost plus 10%. No wonder all the big guys jumped into TSs!

So to OP question:

"dont care about cost of sales / net

what i mean is (building cost divided by units) and (sold out total sales divided by units divided by 52 weeks) "

Building cost including infra structure , etc. equals $3 million

Divided by 10 units equals $300K per unit

50 Intervals sold for $30K each equals $1,500,000

$1,500,000 gross sales divided by 10 units equals $150K

$150K divided by 50 Intervals equals $3K per Interval profit

$300K building cost divided by 50 Intervals equals $6K per unit

Kagehitokiri2

Reaction score
ive seen plenty of detailed breakouts in financial statements, and i havent even looked at that many

i dont think im going to go through some looking for this, and i imagine if this has ever been published, someone here knows

although i guess one cant ignore cost of sales.. (because its totally different from real estate)

Last edited:

benyu2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
25% - product costs
- - - - - tour costs
25% - profit margin

It makes sense that resale value of most TSes are equal or less of the product cost, 25% of retail price or less.