• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Possible to live in Timeshares for less than $60/night

Bxian

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to a blog maintained by Mike and Edie who sometimes post on TUG: http://www.fulltimetimeshare.com// They are not timeshare traveling as much these days, but they made very good use of Extra Vacations and other methods to travel in a frugal way. Mike broke down their accommodation expenses for several years-look under the Itinerary and Cost tabs.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think $60 a night would be very feasible, although there would be some added start-up costs. In fact, I think it would be possible to stay in a nice resort (often a Marriott or a Sheraton) for $60/night for most of the year, if one were willing to change cities every few months.

Remember, no matter what time of year it is, it is almost always off-season *somewhere*. Vail and Park City are off-season in the summer (if you can take high altitudes.) Palm Spring is also off-season in the summer (if you can take the heat.) Orlando has a ton of availability most of the year. Branson or Myrtle Beach might be good for spring.

And, there are some timeshare weeks (not Marriotts!) with MFs in the under $300 range. Colorado allows off-season weeks to have lower MFs than peak season weeks, so that is a good place to look. You might not want to stay in Colorado during the worst of "mud season," but off-season often includes some pleasant spring or fall weeks. Or, you could trade those Colorado weeks for other resorts during times when the exchange companies don't have many rentals.

I own an unusual type of ownership called a Christmas Mountain Village UDI. It allows me to book multiple weeks each year. It is not as good a deal as it once was, but I can book about 8 weeks a year for about $2100 total ($262 per week.) These weeks are two-bedroom cottages in Wisconsin, and they trade very well through II.

I have often fantasized about giving up my home and spending most of the year in nice resorts in Orlando. If I didn't want to move each week, I'd set myself down at the original Sheraton Vistana. They have a ton of suites (like, maybe 1800? I forget) and are good at keeping people in the same room if requested in advance. (Also, you need the same check-in day of the week, exact same unit size, etc.) I recently rented a September week there, 2-bedroom, for less than $250 including tax. I rented through II with a platinum membership.

To timeshare full-time, I would need several things:
1) Cheap Timeshares: I'd probably want 10 or so weeks that trade well and have low fees. I could probably find these for free, with MFs of maybe $500 each, or $5000 total in MFs.
2) Exchange Company Memberships: I'd get an RCI membership, although I'd probably rent more weeks from II than from RCI. I'd get an II Platinum membership. I also might get a couple more II memberships in the hopes of picking up some more accommodation certificates. Also, any free exchange memberships I can find: DAE, Trading Places, SFX (if I qualify) and anything else out there. I'd probably pay about $500 total in membership fees.
3) Exchange fees: I'd maybe stay in some of my timeshares, but mostly I'd exchange them for something nicer. Figure $1500 in exchange fees for the timeshares I own.

The above items total $7000 and provide 10 weeks of timeshare, during high or fairly high seasons.

$420/week times 52 weeks/year equals $21,840. So, I would have $14840 left for my other 42 weeks of the year. This provides $353 per week for cheap II/RCI rentals for the remaining 42 weeks. Although that is a bit low, I should have plenty II 2-for-1 deals and accommodation certificates to help me out. I think it would work.

Thanks for the response. One idea that I thought of would be to have a small RV, 22 ft or less (which means it can park where any large pickup can park). Use this during your down weeks. I feel like there are some areas in Mexico, or Florida where it may be possible to string together multiple weeks in the same general area, so you might spend 1-2 months in Mexico or Florida. As for travel, credit card churning can help subsided the cost. I do this already and have a stash of 3 million airline and hotel loyalty points.
OK, I'm impressed by your credit card churning! Do you also do MS?

I think if you can get 3 million points/miles, figuring out timesharing should be right up your alley.

These are general questions for the TUG membership:
About RVs -- do most timeshares allow 22 ft RVs?

Also, I suspect the main reason I won't timeshare full time is because I'll want cats. Could an RV be climate-controlled well enough to leave a cat in it?