TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Popeyes really has the best chicken sandwich

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by Grammarhero, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Grammarhero

Grammarhero Official TUGBBS Rescission Master TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    Williamsburg Plant, EY 4L/4
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
    Intl: Aruba, Aus, Bah, China, Jpn, HK, Macau, Mex
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    Nothing like crispy, fresh, huge chicken tender for a chicken sandwich. In comparison, the Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich isn’t crispy but soggy.

Attached Files:

Fredflintstone likes this.
  2. nightnurse613

nightnurse613 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

No argument from my husband. It's hard to beat a buttermilk, double dipped chicken sandwich. It is a lot more crispy and there is still enough chicken inside. My husband likes the crunch but doesn't need the associated breading!

3. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I have never had Popeye's. There is one in the next town. Maybe someday. It is not high on my list, but I guess those spicy chicken sandwiches have created quite a stir.

4. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
    Have you compared it to Raising Cane's chicken? Currently, that is my favorite (yes, even over Popeye's).

Kurt

Cornell likes this.
  5. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

6. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

crazy i guess it came back to stores on sunday, driving by and the line of cars was around the building and out to the road!

Grammarhero likes this.
  7. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham PresRes, Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (4), some others.
    This belongs over in the thread about professional athletes doing commercials!

Grammarhero likes this.
  8. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I've never had either and probably never will. But really, it's just a fast food chicken sandwich. What makes it so special?

Grammarhero likes this.
  9. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

Apparently it has great healing powers. :whooopie:

Grammarhero likes this.
  10. Brett

Brett Guest

I keep hearing it's the best but there is no Popeyes near me for a taste comparison

11. Grammarhero

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
    US: AZ, CA, DC, DE, IL, IN, KY, MD, NC, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WV
    I used to be a Chick-fil-A lover too. Now, I love the Popeyes sandwich. It’s so much better. Plus, I love the mashed potato and gravy side.

12. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Sound liked a fake injury LOL.

Grammarhero likes this.
  13. pedro47

Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich were good a one time now it is either to soggy or to salty IMO.

However, in the area where I live cars are always around building; headed to the drive thru windows from 11AM to 1PM..

Grammarhero likes this.
  14. Grammarhero

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham, EY 434k pts
    DRI South Bend, EY 1/1

Been to:
  15. pedro47

Are the chicken sandwiches that good / tasty that someone will end up fatally stabbing a person over a Popeyes sandwich?
    This chicken sandwich must be under $4 dollars per sandwich.

16. Brett

Brett Guest

17. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

18. joestein

joestein TUG Member

The stabbing is pretty sad, however a few years back someone was shot for an argument over cutting the line at The Halal Guys on the corner of 6th and 53rd. The line used to have 40 or 50 people waiting in the evening.

These days they are franchising all over the country and they have 5 or 6 carts on that corner and the corner across the street. That might have helped with the line.

It is not fried chicken, but their chicken sandwich on pita with white sauce is really good. Maybe it will be lunch today.

Joe

19. Conan

Conan TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

I had the Popeye's chicken sandwich yesterday at the BP gas station/truckstop off I-95 exit 56 in Branford, Connecticut. The location is one of those combo operations--Subway at the next counter and Starbucks farther down. I was the only person there at 11am.

The sandwich choice is spicy mayo or mild mayo--the chicken is the same in each. I chose spicy, and spicy it was! The chicken is boneless white meat, a large portion, with a tasty bit of pickle and the usual Popeye's breading. Definitely the best, assuming you're a Popeye's fan. They claim 480 calories for the sandwich but I swear mine was 750.

Don't take my word for the quality of the sandwich--here's Simpsons creator Bill Oakley's review.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  20. Fredflintstone

Fredflintstone TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Rent only
    Yesssss...and unlike Chik a fila, Popeyes is in Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

I like the $1.89 white meat special on Tuesdays at Popeye's. I buy four, eat one, and freeze the rest for future lunches. No chicken in the freezer, so it will be Popeye's for lunch today. I will have to order my usual, plus a chicken sandwich just to see what all the hype is about.

A Krispy Kreme store opened about 20 years ago in a town near me. The grand opening made the local news. I made a point of trying the donuts on a couple of trips through that town and remember thinking they were just donuts like most any other donuts. I did not understand all the hype.

22. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

For me, I think Krispy Kreme donuts are the Crème de la crème of donuts ;)

bbodb1 likes this.
  23. Lydlady

Lydlady TUG Member

All right, I might have to check this out. I normally go to Chick-Fil-A, actually just went yesterday. Popeye's is close by so I guess go and see what the type is all about.

24. jme

jme TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriotts:
    Grande Ocean x 6
    Barony x 2
    OceanWatch x 1
    Manor Club x 1
    Waterside by Spin x 2
    Sheraton Bdwy Plnt x 2
    ChurchStInnCharleston2
    I'm a lover of Chick-fil-A and think their chicken sandwich is amazing.
    For the first time ever, I tried Popeye's today, specifically the Popeye's classic chicken sandwich for lunch.
    The car line for drive-thru was long, doubled around the building, so I went in.
    There were only 10 people standing in line, so my wait was only 10-12 minutes.

I did like the sandwich---it was quite good, but I still have to give the edge to Chick-fil-A. Their spices, mayo, and pickle
    are superior, imho, and I don't know whether to give Popeye's another chance or not. I probably will. I'll definitely go back and try the Spicy sandwich.

My wife and I have a tradition of ordering a Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich "to go" just before leaving town around lunchtime
    when we travel. If leaving town in the early am we order the Chick-fil-A chicken biscuits, which are even better than the sandwich.

I think this will be a Ford-Chevy type of argument going forward, but I firmly believe the Chick-fil-A franchise is very safe.
    Their products and overall service are stand-alone at the top! I think the Popeye's marketing ploy for this chicken sandwich
    was absolutely brilliant ...after all, who runs out of chicken sandwiches? Does Arby's run out of roast beef sandwiches?
    So the hype is working, and I think Popeye's will enjoy huge surges in business for a good while.
    If their sandwich wasn't good, the hype would die out quickly, but it IS good.........just not as good as Chick-fil-A's. It's large and it's crispy, but the flavor is always the thing. It's close enough to have to think about, but in the end it's Chick-fil-A by a nose.

But I'm not a loser in any way for this experiment---nice to know if I am hungry on the road and see a Popeye's close by,
    it's a sure thing I'll pull in and get me one of their sandwiches.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    bbodb1 and WVBaker like this.
  25. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    OK, I tried the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich today for lunch. I was surprised. It exceeded my expectations and it was so crispy it really made the Chick-fil-a sandwich seem really soggy to me for the first time. Now, if only Popeyes would keep their restaurants as clean as Chick-fil-a does their facilities!