• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pooling points

Dill

Reaction score
I just noticed that according to the website I can bank my points at any time during the year. I no longer have to have it done by the end of September? Is that a new change?

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just noticed that according to the website I can bank my points at any time during the year. I no longer have to have it done by the end of September? Is that a new change?
If your platinum yes.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
note that you can "deposit" your points into either one of the next two years, ie you can push the points forward. you can no longer pull from future years to use immediately

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Yes but you have to choose one year. I thought maybe you could put some in each of the next 2 years but apparently not. Due to hurricane cancellations and us using up some RCI deposits this year we still have half of our points left over not sure how to decide which year to deposit them into. Rentals didn't go as well as usual due to cancel and rebook not being available and the whole website mess :(

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes but you have to choose one year. I thought maybe you could put some in each of the next 2 years but apparently not. Due to hurricane cancellations and us using up some RCI deposits this year we still have half of our points left over not sure how to decide which year to deposit them into. Rentals didn't go as well as usual due to cancel and rebook not being available and the whole website mess :(

I havent done it,, but I think you can deposit some into one year, and some into the other, and leave some in the current year

You could deposit the remainder of the 2017 points into next year and then deposit some or all of the 2018 points into 2019 and/or 2020

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I havent done it,, but I think you can deposit some into one year, and some into the other, and leave some in the current year

You could deposit the remainder of the 2017 points into next year and then deposit some or all of the 2018 points into 2019 and/or 2020
That is my understanding as well.

And you get one shot at it. Once moved you can't move them again.

Has anyone been in a "borrowing situation"? I don't recall anyone reporting yay or nay as to if we can borrow. If you are short points and in the express window, are you able to borrow points from the next use year in order to compete your transaction?

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Within the last few days, I was told that I cannot borrow or rent points until all current use year points are used and all pooled points from future years are used. I was interested in borrowing or renting points for this regular use year but no go for me. I have pooled points through 2020.

Last edited:

Baby Jane

Reaction score

Of course it was a customer care person who told me I had to choose a year so we know how well informed staff seem to be.

CCdad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
That is my understanding as well.

And you get one shot at it. Once moved you can't move them again.

Has anyone been in a "borrowing situation"? I don't recall anyone reporting yay or nay as to if we can borrow. If you are short points and in the express window, are you able to borrow points from the next use year in order to compete your transaction?

Once you've exhausted your current use year and if applicable - credit pool points, I think you can borrow from your next use year (CY 2018 for 2017 express reservations). I don't know if you can borrow from the 2nd succeeding use year (CY 2019 for 2017 express reservations).

Someone is dumping multiple UDI contracts on eBay and is making a claim in each listing that you can borrow up to two use years ahead. I don't think that statement is correct today.

I think the seller either booked reservations, credit pooled and/or points deposited to exhaust all their 2018 & 2019 use year points. So they're saying the seller can't guarantee if any 2018/2019 points will transfer when the deed transfer is processed by Wyndham. An estoppel letter request should clear up that issue.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
This does not feel so bad to me.

I get 3.5M points per year. Say I have 1M points left in December I don't think I can use. I deposit them to 2018.

That gets me 4.5M pints to use in 2018. Say in December 2018 I have 2M (but up to 3.5M) points I don't think I can use. I deposit them in 2019.

WYN is not keeping track of the points specifically, right? I can deposit up to 3.5M points forward 1 or 2 years every year.

I understand I don't want to get into a situation where I have excess of 3.5M points. But I have plenty of time to figure out how to use them, rent them, deposit them to RCI. Correct?

Unless I was saving up for something special in the 2nd year, it seems logical to deposit them to the next year (versus 2nd year).

Am I missing something?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
This does not feel so bad to me.

I get 3.5M points per year. Say I have 1M points left in December I don't think I can use. I deposit them to 2018.

That gets me 4.5M pints to use in 2018. Say in December 2018 I have 2M (but up to 3.5M) points I don't think I can use. I deposit them in 2019.

WYN is not keeping track of the points specifically, right? I can deposit up to 3.5M points forward 1 or 2 years every year.

I understand I don't want to get into a situation where I have excess of 3.5M points. But I have plenty of time to figure out how to use them, rent them, deposit them to RCI. Correct?

Unless I was saving up for something special in the 2nd year, it seems logical to deposit them to the next year (versus 2nd year).

Am I missing something?

nope

I think you have it exactly... the only folks that should be upset by the new points deposit feature are those that used the old credit pool to "borrow" points

With real banks there are some customers that make deposits and save for the future. and there are other customers that borrow from the bank for use today. The old credit pool operated like a real bank; there were savers and borrowers. The new points deposit feature is only for savers. no more borrowing from the pool

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the seller either booked reservations, credit pooled and/or points deposited to exhaust all their 2018 & 2019 use year points. So they're saying the seller can't guarantee if any 2018/2019 points will transfer when the deed transfer is processed by Wyndham. An estoppel letter request should clear up that issue.
According to this post (#365)

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...l-accts-suspended.245656/page-15#post-1922797

an estoppel letter would not clear up the issue of a stripped account, because the Wyndham estoppel lists only the current year points usage, not any of the subsequent years' usage.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
The new points deposit feature is only for savers. no more borrowing from the pool
And, it does a pitiful job as a savings program for lower level owners. I have to 'save' uncommitted current year points on 6/30. I then have nothing left from which to make reservations in the second half of the year. Before I could use those saved points. I hate the new system!!! And, then there is the problem of points which can't be deposited a second time. If your annual allotment is 200k points and you have 100k points as a deposit, then use 200k in ARP reservations, the 100k is left and it can't be redeposited. It's an awful system for most everyone.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
And, it does a pitiful job as a savings program for lower level owners. I have to 'save' uncommitted current year points on 6/30. I then have nothing left from which to make reservations in the second half of the year. Before I could use those saved points. I hate the new system!!! And, then there is the problem of points which can't be deposited a second time. If your annual allotment is 200k points and you have 100k points as a deposit, then use 200k in ARP reservations, the 100k is left and it can't be redeposited. It's an awful system for most everyone.

That not the way it’s supposed to work In your example you can deposit up to 200000 points each year as long as you do it before jun 30

Timeshares don’t work very well for folks that can’t plan ahead. If you don’t have your years plans in place by June, timeshares may not be right for you

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That not the way it’s supposed to work In your example you can deposit up to 200000 points each year as long as you do it before jun 30

Timeshares don’t work very well for folks that can’t plan ahead. If you don’t have your years plans in place by June, timeshares may not be right for you
I plan and it works well for me. Let me say this again. You CAN NOT use deposited points for ARP reservations. So if you use all 200k on ARP reservations, you have 100k that are not eligible for redeposit and not eligible for RCI deposit. If you don't use those 100k for standard reservations, you'll be giving up those 100k points. Period.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I plan and it works well for me. Let me say this again. You CAN NOT use deposited points for ARP reservations. So if you use all 200k on ARP reservations, you have 100k that are not eligible for redeposit and not eligible for RCI deposit. If you don't use those 100k for standard reservations, you'll be giving up those 100k points. Period.

As I see it there are two separate and distinct "benefits" we are talking about

One is ARP. If your annual allocation is 200000 points you can use up to 200000 points per year for ARP reservations, and
the second benefit is the points deposit feature. If you arent able to use all your points in a particular year, you can deposit up to 200000 points into a future year

i have assumed these two benefits dont conflict. in our example if I have 300000 points expiring in 2018, (100000 of which were deposited from past years) I can use 200000 of them for ARP reservations and deposit 100000 into 2019; or i can use 100000 for ARP reservations and deposit 200000 into 2019; or any combination of ARP and Standard reservation and deposits with the limit of 200000 points ARP and a limit of 200000 points deposited

Heres an extreme example (assume a 200000 point annual allocation) In 2017 I deposit all my 2017 points into 2019; and in 2018 I deposit all my 2018 points into 2019
so I will have 600000 points that expire in 2019. I can use up to 200000 points in ARP reservations, and I can deposit 200000 into future years, but I will have to use 200000 points in standard reservations or I will lose them

If it works the way I understand it, I dont see a problem.. and as Sandi bo said above... That dosent seem too bad to me
its not the old credit pool, (and I miss that more than anyone) but this isnt so bad.

even if it it works the way you say it does... I dont see it as a problem. as long as you know when points expire and you plan ahead. I guess my point is, If you come to the end of a use year and you have points expiring unused; you own too many points, or you havent planned very well

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert

I can plan 10-13 months ahead and I've been accustomed to doing that since I bought Wyndham. The problem is that if I know I'm not going to be able to use all my points this year (and I have unbalanced EOY contracts that in the past were completely manageable with the credit pool), that the new points deposit system tries to make me plan 18-36 months in advance, which I am just not that certain about. If on January 1, 2018 I know that I won't use all of my points, sure I can deposit them to the future - but now I need to know whether I plan to use them in 2019 or 2020, and if I guess wrong about my plans 2-3 years in advance, I stand to lose points to expiration. I'll probably adjust, and if I don't I'll divest of the EOY contracts accordingly, but it's a hassle either way.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I'm not sure we know that this is how the system is currently working because I don't think anyone has reached this situation yet and tried it in practice. For instance, I cannot use credit pooled points for an ARP reservation - except I can. The system will let me. I've used up all of my 2018 UY points and only have some credit pooled points that expire in 2019, and the system will let me start a reservation using them for ARP in Nov 2018. So you may be right, but I don't think we know how all of these overlapping points benefits will interact until people are actually able to put it to the test in the live system.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can plan 10-13 months ahead and I've been accustomed to doing that since I bought Wyndham. The problem is that if I know I'm not going to be able to use all my points this year (and I have unbalanced EOY contracts that in the past were completely manageable with the credit pool), that the new points deposit system tries to make me plan 18-36 months in advance, which I am just not that certain about. If on January 1, 2018 I know that I won't use all of my points, sure I can deposit them to the future - but now I need to know whether I plan to use them in 2019 or 2020, and if I guess wrong about my plans 2-3 years in advance, I stand to lose points to expiration. I'll probably adjust, and if I don't I'll divest of the EOY contracts accordingly, but it's a hassle either way.

its not as bad as you say

If on Jan 1 2018, you know you wont use all your points you can deposit them into 2019 (or 2020). And if in 2019 you know you can use all your points you can deposit up to your annual allocation into 2010 or 2021

No doubt you will have to use the points you deposited, but you can always deposit up to your annual allocation each year

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure we know that this is how the system is currently working because I don't think anyone has reached this situation yet and tried it in practice. For instance, I cannot use credit pooled points for an ARP reservation - except I can. The system will let me. I've used up all of my 2018 UY points and only have some credit pooled points that expire in 2019, and the system will let me start a reservation using them for ARP in Nov 2018. So you may be right, but I don't think we know how all of these overlapping points benefits will interact until people are actually able to put it to the test in the live system.

You are not using your credit pooled points or your annual use year points or deposited points for ARP reservations, deposits to future years or for standard or express reservations... When you use points for any purpose, you are using points, It dosent matter which "points bucket" they are coming from

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I only know what I was told, in writing, by a VC. And, the words backed up what the literature stated. Deposited points do not retain the same benefits as those in the current use year. You can't use deposited points for ARP. You can't redeposit deposited points. And, you can not send deposited points to RCI. So, if you use all of your current UY points for ARP reservations, you'll be sitting on deposited points. Use them for a standard reservation in the UY where they are deposited or they will expire. I think most of us have seen how they keep track of ARP points and those are the unused UY points. Any points above those available for ARP are deposited points. Use them for standard reservations or lose them. I've never lost a point since I started timesharing 15 years ago and I hope to never lose one with the new system. While I do use ARP from time to time, it's not my personal routine. For 2018, all of my bookings are <10 months out. I do not know how this will work with points covering different UY end dates and I don't know how this will work with remaining credit pooled points. But, I do know exactly what will be available in 2018 for me to deposit forward if I don't use any more points for 2018 reservations. Those who always book 10-13 months in advance could end up leaving points on the table. I hope this is NOT the case, but, what I was told makes sense, to me. And, it makes sense when I look at my personal account. As a bit of conspiracy theorist, I suspect Wyndham knew that this would happen just as they knew that VIP's will be using more points for reservations with an unpredictable cancel/rebook process. I hope no one loses points in 2018, but, this deposit feature design is set up to hurt who consistently book 10-13 months in advance. You did not have to think so hard about this with credit pooled points and I want that process back. It's sad, but the point strippers killed the credit pool.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are not using your credit pooled points or your annual use year points or deposited points for ARP reservations, deposits to future years or for standard or express reservations... When you use points for any purpose, you are using points, It dosent matter which "points bucket" they are coming from

I know this how things are supposed to work and will work with points deposit, but I think that old-style credit pooled points work a little differently in practice because of their legacy status and they don't quite fit the new system that was built (because they will eventually phase out and Wyndham probably didn't want to program for every situation involving them). If what you say is 100% true, then I would be able to deposit some of my pooled points to RCI - because I had 115,500 regular UY points allocated in 2018, but I only deposited 105,000 of my 2018 points to RCI. Then I made a 2018 reservation, so I still have credit pooled points available but no regular UY points. Based on the new system, my benefits should allow me to deposit the remaining 10,500 points to RCI, but the system tells me that I have 0 points available to deposit - because my only remaining points available in 2018 are in the credit pool bucket.

So as I see it in practice, old-style credit pooled points sometimes adhere to the new system of buckets not mattering, which was the example I was trying to show to Cyrus in my previous post, but sometimes function as a separate bucket with specific limitations. Unlike points deposited with points deposit, they have a different expiration date and they do still carry some of the old limitations due to being in a separate bucket. I would be curious to see if the same limitations I've observed with pooled points and RCI deposits also extends to depositing points to a future year, but it would take a platinum with the right combination of points remaining in 2017 to check that out right now.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
its not as bad as you say

If on Jan 1 2018, you know you wont use all your points you can deposit them into 2019 (or 2020). And if in 2019 you know you can use all your points you can deposit up to your annual allocation into 2010 or 2021

No doubt you will have to use the points you deposited, but you can always deposit up to your annual allocation each year

It becomes more complicated with my points imbalance, but I'm hoping it will become fairly routine as you state. I get 115,500 in even years and 423,500 in odd years, so the year that will really tell the tale for me is 2019 and how many points I end up depositing into 2020. With the credit pool extended over three years it really smoothed out that big points allocation for years I didn't use most of those points for ARP in the odd year. I agree that it should be fairly seamless for people that have the same number of points every year.