• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Pono Kai exchange with RCI

KandyApple

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are set to arrive in Kauai in a couple weeks for a 16 night stay at Pono Kai in a 2 bedroom exchange with RCI. I have read somewhere that the RCI units are all in one building that is set back against the road. Does anyone have any info on what the RCI units are like. I have also heard that units are being refurbished. Are the RCI units done yet. Any other helpful hints you might have to make our stay at Pono Kai more enjoyable is welcome. We are travelling with our son, DIL and 4 year old grandson.
Is Lydgate Park back to normal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@slip Jeff, do you have this info?

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Owners get the best views. That is what I know after owning there for several years. I think it's a great place to stay, even if you don't get the ocean view.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
We are set to arrive in Kauai in a couple weeks for a 16 night stay at Pono Kai in a 2 bedroom exchange with RCI. I have read somewhere that the RCI units are all in one building that is set back against the road. Does anyone have any info on what the RCI units are like. I have also heard that units are being refurbished. Are the RCI units done yet. Any other helpful hints you might have to make our stay at Pono Kai more enjoyable is welcome. We are travelling with our son, DIL and 4 year old grandson.
Is Lydgate Park back to normal?

There aren’t really any RCI units, it depends on what owner association unit was deposited. The largest is the Pono Kai Interval owners association. Some of the other associations are BlueGreen, Pacific Fantasy and VI. All these associations own units in different buildings so you are not just limited to the back buildings. It of course owners in those associations will get preference. I have know some exchangers get oceanfront so it does happen but don’t expect it.

They just started doing Pacific Fantasy units and more than half of the Pono Kai units are completed. BlueGreen bought Pono Kai Association weeks so those are over half completed also. I don’t believe VI have done any units.

What day do you check in? If it’s a Friday it’s a Pacific Fantasy week and I can tell you what units they own.

Buildings A and B are oceanfront and have been renovated but of course they book the fastest. January and February filled up very fast for this year. I had most of my bookings for those two months and I know they were full but you never know about cancellations.
Buildings C and Dnround our the oceanfront buildings and those are closer to town.

There are still some nice views in buildings E, F and G and even J. Building H has nice views of the pool and is off the road. I believe that one has the renovations completed.

Let me know if you have other questions and i’ll Post more when I think of something.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I checked and the RCI code for the Pono Kai Interval Owners Association is 2491.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have read somewhere that the RCI units are all in one building that is set back against the road.
You may be thinking of the studios/1BRs with partial kitchens. Those are in building K standing on the sidewalk with your back to the road, are to the left of the check-in desk. If I recall what I read correctly, they were built to be smaller than everything else in the resort to be more equitable in some developer's system or another. I stayed in one of the 1BRs here last summer that I got on a discounted last-minute exchange. Yes, it was the worst location in the resort, but it was still an easy walk to the beach and I'd do it again with a couple, but probably not four.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, the F building is my wife’s favorite. We have stayed in F303, a two bedroom loft many times. It’s close to the pool and only about 80 yards from the ocean with a great straight on view of the ocean. It’s in the middle of the complex and close to parking and town. The photo below is from F303.

3B29D542-220C-4BDD-8ED2-400AD1014AB7.jpeg

KandyApple

TUG Member
Reaction score
There aren’t really any RCI units, it depends on what owner association unit was deposited. The largest is the Pono Kai Interval owners association. Some of the other associations are BlueGreen, Pacific Fantasy and VI. All these associations own units in different buildings so you are not just limited to the back buildings. It of course owners in those associations will get preference. I have know some exchangers get oceanfront so it does happen but don’t expect it.

They just started doing Pacific Fantasy units and more than half of the Pono Kai units are completed. BlueGreen bought Pono Kai Association weeks so those are over half completed also. I don’t believe VI have done any units.

What day do you check in? If it’s a Friday it’s a Pacific Fantasy week and I can tell you what units they own.

Buildings A and B are oceanfront and have been renovated but of course they book the fastest. January and February filled up very fast for this year. I had most of my bookings for those two months and I know they were full but you never know about cancellations.
Buildings C and Dnround our the oceanfront buildings and those are closer to town.

There are still some nice views in buildings E, F and G and even J. Building H has nice views of the pool and is off the road. I believe that one has the renovations completed.

Let me know if you have other questions and i’ll Post more when I think of something.

Thanks for the info. We check in on Saturday and the info said we may have to change units if staying for more than one week.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the info. We check in on Saturday and the info said we may have to change units if staying for more than one week.

Was your resort code 2491? Otherwise your checkin day rules out Pacific Fantasy. If you do have to change units, they do try to time it so it’s not too inconvenient. We have done that once or twice over the years.

KandyApple

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was your resort code 2491? Otherwise your checkin day rules out Pacific Fantasy. If you do have to change units, they do try to time it so it’s not too inconvenient. We have done that once or twice over the years.

Yes our resort code is 2491 so it won't be a Pacific Fantasy unit.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes our resort code is 2491 so it won't be a Pacific Fantasy unit.

Yep, your checkin day comfirmed that too. So you are drawing from the largest pool of units, that’s good. I see you are leaving soon. I had a lot of rentals in January and February so they will be pretty full. Hope you get something good. :thumbup:

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the F building is my wife’s favorite. We have stayed in F303, a two bedroom loft many times. It’s close to the pool and only about 80 yards from the ocean with a great straight on view of the ocean. It’s in the middle of the complex and close to parking and town. The photo below is from F303.

View attachment 9762
Thanks for the picture Slip.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
We have two exchanges into 1 BR at Pono Kai for Jan 18 to Feb 1 2020- both Saturday checkin. First exchange is II , with Unit number I and reservation # 233120. Second week is RCI exchange into resort #2491 and reservation #00329 - specifying that it is a 1 Br with partial kitchen.

Are all the timeshare units now renovated - given it is year later?

Since our RCI exchange specifies a "partial kitchen", will we be in the dreaded K building by the road and there is no way around it?

So should I call and make a unit request anyway: high floor, same unit for 2 wks, oceanview, renovated?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Joyce

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No, not all the units are renovated yet but most are. You could ask if you could upgrade. I don’t know if they would but you could try. The other thing is that your going at a busy and popular time so it will depend on what’s available.

Jwerking

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach Club, Marriott Summit Watch, Port of Call (HHI), Mayan Palace
Just called the resort and they were essentially of no help. Said that they only get exchange reservations about 1 week in advance??? So call then and ask if we can be in the same unit for both weeks.

BTW, what is a partial kitchen? Is it only lacking an oven and maybe has 2 burners? Does it have a full size fridge?

Also, does the resort have washers and dryers on property?

This is going to be a hardship after two weeks at the Marriott Waiohai followed by a week at the Point at Poipu. Ah well, it is Hawaii and love the bike trail in front of the resort.

Does Pono Kai rent bikes or just have to do so from a local vendor?

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just called the resort and they were essentially of no help. Said that they only get exchange reservations about 1 week in advance??? So call then and ask if we can be in the same unit for both weeks.

BTW, what is a partial kitchen? Is it only lacking an oven and maybe has 2 burners? Does it have a full size fridge?

Also, does the resort have washers and dryers on property?

This is going to be a hardship after two weeks at the Marriott Waiohai followed by a week at the Point at Poipu. Ah well, it is Hawaii and love the bike trail in front of the resort.

Does Pono Kai rent bikes or just have to do so from a local vendor?

i have never stayed in one of those units but to me it looks like a studio type kitchen, I think it has an oven and a full size fridge.
The washers and dryers are in every building on the first floor by the elevator.
There is a bike rental right next door so that won’t be an issue.
I would definitely call the week before you check in. It will be busy but it can hurt to ask. I have always had my reservation made a year in advance and haven’t traded in so I haven’t had to ask. I have known other to have mixed results so give it a try.
It’s not as nice as your other resorts but it is still nice and in a great location.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
My parents stayed in an RCI exchange unit for a portion of the week of our family trip this past summer. It was a Weds-Weds week through RCI that I picked up to give us a little more breathing room for a few days, then they joined us in a 2BR+loft unit for the rest of the week. Anyway, they were in a 1BR in building K, and it was a renovated unit (without any request or anything). I wouldn't hesitate to stay in one of these units as a couple. Plenty of space for two, including a small dining area in the main living area and then a separate bedroom. Their balcony overlooked the koi pond and was quite nice. I texted my mom to ask specifics on the kitchen, but I remember it being a small but fairly complete kitchen, including a decent size fridge...maybe not quite full size, but not dorm sized. There was a small dishwasher foe sure, that I remember because it was smaller than standard and so cute and novel, LOL. I'll edit when I hear back from her.

Have a Wailua shave ice for me...and lau lau from Pono Market! Both right next door :)

Oh, and if you're remotely interested in fishing, we had a total blast with Captain Terry of Hawaiian Style Fishing. He launches from right next door to Pono Kai. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip!

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
My parents stayed in an RCI exchange unit for a portion of the week of our family trip this past summer. It was a Weds-Weds week through RCI that I picked up to give us a little more breathing room for a few days, then they joined us in a 2BR+loft unit for the rest of the week. Anyway, they were in a 1BR in building K, and it was a renovated unit (without any request or anything). I wouldn't hesitate to stay in one of these units as a couple. Plenty of space for two, including a small dining area in the main living area and then a separate bedroom. Their balcony overlooked the koi pond and was quite nice. I texted my mom to ask specifics on the kitchen, but I remember it being a small but fairly complete kitchen, including a decent size fridge...maybe not quite full size, but not dorm sized. There was a small dishwasher foe sure, that I remember because it was smaller than standard and so cute and novel, LOL. I'll edit when I hear back from her.

Have a Wailua shave ice for me...and lau lau from Pono Market! Both right next door :)

Oh, and if you're remotely interested in fishing, we had a total blast with Captain Terry of Hawaiian Style Fishing. He launches from right next door to Pono Kai. Definitely one of the highlights of our trip!

OK, heard back from my mom: There was an oven and stove, microwave, dishwasher, and an apartment-sized fridge and freezer.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed in one of the 1BR Partials there in June '18. The unit seemed to have been recently renovated, and was comfortable. The kitchen was surprisingly functional given its size, and I'm not sure I would have described it as partial---it had all of the features I would have expected, but in smaller form factors. It did overlook the tennis courts, but the koi pond was over to the side and the ocean was an easy, short walk away. Is it the best you can imagine? No, but it was perfectly pleasant and would be fine for two people in a pinch. I would not want four.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The landscaping/Koi pond are beautiful and relaxing, they also have several nice grill areas and the pool is nice. If all i could get with an exchange was the K building in Jan/Feb i wouldn't hesitate to stay at Pono Kia. :)

KandyApple

TUG Member
Reaction score
When we stayed last year we did have to change units over our 2 week stay so I would be prepared for that. They will try to put you in a renovated unit. For our second week we were offered a renovated unit in the J building but asked if we could change. The only units were non renovated in building E. We checked it out and the unit was ok, just a weird smell. It suited us better as it was ground floor. My point is they did try and accommodate us, make sure we had a renovated unit but were unbending on changing units.
Overall we enjoyed the resort and would stay there again. Not the best for small children if they like splash pools, the resort only has one pool, not really designed for small children.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Did they help you move? When we have had to move at a Worldmark Resort we packed up our suitcases put them by the Front Door; packed up all not refrigerated Food stuffs and left them on the Counter; and, left stuff in Frig. We went about our normal day. When we got back around 5 all our stuff had been moved to our new Unit and refrigerated stuff was in the Frig.

KandyApple

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope they don’t provide any assistance with moving. You can have use of the hospitality suite as check out I think is 11 and check in isn’t until 3. You might be lucky and your unit is ready but you will still have to move everything yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk