• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Polar Vortex Plunge to Bring 'Brutally Cold' Air to Midwest With 'Life Threatening Wind Chills

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
My parents grew up in Hibbing. They always said the Twin Cities was like Florida compared to the Iron Range.

....where water goes to explode!

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
There's Cold - and Then There Was February 1899
By Christopher Klein/ News/ History/ history.com

"The “Great Arctic Outbreak” of February 1899 set temperature and snowfall records from Michigan to Florida that still stand today.

Snow weighed down the fronds of palm trees of Fort Myers, Florida, while an icy crust formed on the Mississippi River in New Orleans. Nearly three feet of snow buried the nation’s capital, and ice encased steamboats on Lake Michigan. There’s cold—and then there was the Great Arctic Outbreak of February 1899.

The polar vortex delivered an icy slap to every corner of the continental United States, making all other Snowmageddons to follow seem mild by comparison.

The bitter cold first hit the West Coast in the first days of February as temperatures reached lows of 33 degrees Fahrenheit in San Diego and 12 degrees in Seattle. The frigid air then barreled east with freezing temperatures reaching as far south as the Gulf Coast and Florida Panhandle.

On February 11, residents of Fort Logan, Montana, awoke to a temperature of -61 degrees. Wind chills in southern Texas were estimated at -25 to -40 degrees, downright balmy compared to the wind chills approaching -100 degrees on the northern Plains. Between February 11 and February 14, the Great Arctic Outbreak set record low temperatures that still stand in Grand Rapids (-24 degrees), Wichita (-22 degrees), Oklahoma City (-17 degrees), Atlanta (-9 degrees), Fort Worth (-8 degrees) and Baton Rouge (2 degrees)....."

1899-great-artic-outbreak_rc00572.jpg

A snowball fight on the steps of the Capitol in Tallahassee, Florida in 1899.

State Archives of Florida

Richard

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, didn't know about 1899. That's amazing! -2 in Florida, snow in Tampa, ouch!

That's not to say it wasn't cold this time of course, though not here, our "cold" day was in the upper 40's.

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I heard on the radio this morning something good may come from this extremely cold weather. An invasive species, the emerald ash borer, may be significantly killed off by these temperatures. According to the news report the EAB cannot survive below -20. The extended period of cold might kill off these awful bugs. I hope it takes some of the other invasive species with it. Asian beetle, stink bugs, earwigs etc. Although it will only be temporary I suppose. The ones surviving in neighboring states will move on in.:(
Hi Sandy,

Here's more info on what you reported.

Polar Vortex Could Knock Back Invasive Tree Killers - For a While
By April Reese/ Conservation/ Scientific American/ scientificamerican.com

"It’s been so cold in the upper Midwest this week that even a few minutes outside invites frostbite. But there is least one upside to the polar vortex deep freeze: The extreme cold is likely wiping out millions of invasive tree-killing insects across a broad swath of territory from South Dakota to Minnesota, offering hope for at least a temporary reprieve from their incessant spread into a steadily warming north.

A swelling army of invasive insects—including the gypsy moth, introduced to the U.S. from Asia in the late 1800s, and the emerald ash borer, which arrived in Michigan in 2009 (most likely on shipping palettes from China)—have killed millions of trees across the northern states. They continue to colonize new territory, aided by warming trends that are rendering more areas hospitable to them. The consequences for forest ecosystems and cities alike have been swift and severe. The emerald ash borer has already wiped out 100 percent of ash trees in parts of Ohio and Indiana, says Robert Venette, a research biologist with the U.S. Forest Service’s (USFS) Northern Research Station. As infestations spread northward, the one-of-a-kind black ash swamps of northern Minnesota and Wisconsin could become treeless marshlands—leaving nearby areas more prone to flooding. Gypsy moths have defoliated millions of oak, birch, cottonwood and other tree species, causing millions of dollars’ worth of damage. The hemlock woolly adelgid, a sap-sucking native of eastern Asia that has decimated hemlock trees throughout the U.S. Northeast, is now encroaching into Midwest forests. “It’s a pretty big impact,” says Lee Frelich, director of the Center for Forest Ecology at the University of Minnesota, referring to all the region’s invading insects. “Hundreds of millions of trees have been killed.”

Although these insects are hardy enough to survive an involuntary trip across the world and thrive in unfamiliar territory, extreme cold is often their Achilles’ heel. The hemlock woolly adelgid cannot withstand temperatures below –4 degrees Fahrenheit, a 2008 USFS study found. Other invasive insects evolved in cold environments in their home countries and are equipped with impressive wintertime defenses—40 percent of the emerald ash borer’s body comprises an antifreeze-like substance, for example. And its larvae can tuck themselves under bark, where it can be as much as 5 degrees F warmer than the air. But even these cold-weather superstars are no match for the kind of temperatures now seizing much of the northern U.S......."

EA637CB7-36A9-4A92-83651A7C3561ACE1_source.jpg

Emerald ash borer traces on a dead ash tree in Michigan. Credit: Getty Images

GettyImages-685016089.jpg

Emerald ash borer feeding on ash leaves. Credit: Getty Images

Richard

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Live in the Buffalo, NY area. The City of Buffalo has issued a State of Emergency. The County of Erie has issues a State of Emergency. There are many travel bans in the suburbs. Temperature is currently 0 degrees F with wind chills expected to get as low as -35 degrees F. We are currently under official Blizzard conditions. They Greater Buffalo & Niagara Airport has closed. Sections of the I-90 and other major thorough fares are closed to traffic. One due to a 21 vehicle accident that includes a New York State Trooper.

While reading this I anticipated the last sentence to be "But the schools are open!" :p

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Had to take out six 50’ ash trees in my yard the last two years. Shame the freeze didn’t come sooner.

Cheers

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Had to take out six 50’ ash trees in my yard the last two years. .

Cheers

Having one take down & removed from our backyard in 2016 cost us over $ 3000 (C$) . That was the best price - from an insured tree removal company .
I had 2 or 3 higher $$ bids .

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
When they say -40 degrees is it Celsius or Fahrenheit?
There is not much difference between -40 C and -40 F an I remember from my 35 years experience in Minnesota.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
I recall some snow days. But when I visit MN in the winter now, I hear schools declaring snow days in conditions that weren't considered when I was growing up.

But I don't remember school ever being called on account of cold.
I believe the reason for having Mpls schools closed during extremely cold weather is a safety concern. Possible school bus pickup delay, which is quite usual, results in prolonged exposure and frostbite.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Had to take out six 50’ ash trees in my yard the last two years. Shame the freeze didn’t come sooner.

About three years ago we lost three 30'+ mature ash trees on the boulevard between the sidewalk and road in front of our home. They had been planted when our home was new 20 years ago. The emerald ash borer was the culprit and they took about 30 more trees on our large crescent over the next two years.

We had just started to have a beautiful, green canopy over the road in the summertime when we lost them. Fortunately they were on city property, so the city paid to remove and replace them. I offered to pay more to have more mature trees planted, but was told that they could not do that, for a number of reasons. So now we have 2" to 3" saplings (none of them ash trees) in their place. We will not live here long enough to see them mature again. Very sad, but I guess a first-world problem! :bawl:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the 1960's in our Minneapolis suburb (Richfield) the City planted boulevard trees. Like most cities Minneapolis had stately elm trees that provided full canopies over many streets, but the elms were being ravaged by Dutch elm disease.

So the city planted ash trees, because they weren't vulnerable to any known diseases. Now those ash trees are 40 years old and have become stately - and subject to disease.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I can not get my 2016 Ford Explorer to start. Ugh

Took it into the dealership and found out I had a defective battery. I got a new battery since the car was still under warranty

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I've worked at the University of Michigan for 21 years. In that time, we've closed a total of two days for weather. At the end of Thursday, that will double to four days.

I just found out that we are due to have an ice storm on Wednesday. Dang, it’s been a brutal January

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just found out that we are due to have an ice storm on Wednesday. Dang, it’s been a brutal January
Where are you? I think we are getting some snow showers tomorrow in WI.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I was wondering, while this has made US national news, why haven't we heard much from our hardy Canadian neighbors to the north?

Answer: Because they knew better and flew south to enjoy their timeshares in Mexico and the Caribbean! Cold? What cold...LoL

Nick66

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, while this has made US national news, why haven't we heard much from our hardy Canadian neighbors to the north?

Answer: Because they knew better and flew south to enjoy their timeshares in Mexico and the Caribbean! Cold? What cold...LoL

And those of us who stayed home have too cold and stiff fingers to type.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

We are not in a southern timeshare but rather a rented apartment in sunny hot Belize! We had enough of the cold Canadian winters 4 years ago. We still have to listen to family and friends complain nearly daily of the cold and quantity of snow as we wipe the sweat off our brow and have another cold one!

~Diane

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Now we have Frost Quakes...

Sounds like a line drive hitting the side of your house. Went on for several hours last night, some this morning too, but not as loud.