• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Points Advance Expiration

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
If I prepay my MF to get points advanced from a future year use, a) are all the points for that unit advanced or do I pick an amount, and b) is the expiration date for the advanced points the same as if I hadn't advanced them, or does it change to the year they are advanced into?

Also, is it common that owners advance, or do folks with stray points end up just letting them expire (ie. when you book a 2,000 point week but own a 2,200 point week are you doing anything with the 200 points?)

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You can only borrow points to make a reservation within the next 60 days.

You don't need to borrow points in a separate transaction. You can do it while booking online.

You borrow all point. You lose your HRPP. All points become CUP. Expiration stays the same.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can only borrow points to make a reservation within the next 60 days.

You don't need to borrow points in a separate transaction. You can do it while booking online.

You borrow all point. You lose your HRPP. All points become CUP. Expiration stays the same.

I think this question is different than borrowing points. Maybe someone else can point out the difference - my guess is you are asking to use points across 2 use periods (i.e. 2018 points and 2019 points).

I bought an EOY unit early last year and think this is what the OP is asking. I prepaid my 2019 MF in early 2018 for my unit that had a 2019 home reservation AVAILABLE. Once I paid the MF, the points became available for immediate use - there was no 2 month restriction as you mentioned and I have read about with borrowing. Once I used some of those points, I lost my home reservation. There was no change to the points themselves as far as expiration dates.

I am not sure if the prepayment was required because I have an EOY.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
Maybe I should clarify a bit. I'm wanting to secure two reservations in my 2019 use period. One using my 2019 use points and one using my 2020 use points. But the reservations are 2,000 points each and I have a 2,200 point unit. So my question is if I need to pull 1800 points from the future, or if I am stuck pulling 2,200. Then if I'm stuck pulling the full amount, do they expire as they normally would, or do they expire a year earlier. Then as an aside, when people have these stray points (200, 400, whatever) do they typically let them expire.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You can book your 2019 reservation with 2019 points normally. You will have 200 CUP points left.

Then if you want to make a 2019 reservation with 2020 points, you can only do it up to 60 days before check in. You will need to prepay your 2020 maintenance fees. You will lose your 2020 HRPP. You will use 200 2019 CUP points. Then your whole 2,200 2020 points will be converted to CUP and you will use 1,800 of them. You will have 400 2020 CUP points left. They will retain their original expiration.

I am not sure, but I think you can then move the remaining 400 points to EEE to potentially use them for II exchanges.