• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Please tell me about II

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have recently joined RCI and it probably is best for my needs, but I do rather miss having access to Marriotts etc. So I am wondering whether it would make sense to join II as well...

I probably would not deposit my week there as the resort is not top-rated so I assume wouldn't get me any great exchanges. However, I hear a lot about Getaways etc. and am wondering whether it would be worth it to have access to those.

I am mostly looking for Marriotts (or similar). I realize they can be hard to get but there are several instances in which I would be interested in staying there during a low season (i.e. Palm Desert in August/September; Orlando in late August/September; Spain in spring or fall).

Could someone with access to/experience with II please let me know whether joining might be beneficial for me?

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
I probably would not deposit my week there as the resort is not top-rated so I assume wouldn't get me any great exchanges.

I am mostly looking for Marriotts (or similar). I realize they can be hard to get but there are several instances in which I would be interested in staying there during a low season (i.e. Palm Desert in August/September; Orlando in late August/September; Spain in spring or fall).

Exchanging for Marriotts in Orlando (other than Lakeshore) with my "not top-rated resort" is really easy - I typically travel to Orlando in Nov/Dec for the cooler weather and holiday decorations, but have also gone in March (can require more stalking) and September (really really easy).

Not sure about Palm Desert but I would think that would be a very workable trade plan also. I have looked for Spain trades with my "not top-rated resort" and think that would be very tough (maybe November? maybe.)

I can see smaller villas at Marriotts and Sheraton/Westins in Hawaii in the off season (Nov/Dec - maybe a little in May) but usually not 2BRs. I can see 2BRs at Newport Coast in California but only sporadically in winter (Nov/Dec - but I like the Disneyland holiday decorations also, so YMMV). I have also stayed at Marriotts in Vegas, St Kitts and Hilton Head (used to be able to see Sept but Nov is more common now).

Not sure how similarly powered our resorts would be - and I should mention that while my resort is not highly rated, my week is mid-summer so I probably get a little boost in trade power for that. I can't compete with Marriott owners for peak periods and don't expect to do that, but I am happy with the shoulder seasons (which is sounds like is true for you as well.)

There are also some questions about how the Marriott and Interval deal will impact things going forward and it's hard to say if past results will continue to be a reasonable expectation...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you would be able to trade into those in off seasons. There are generally getaways during off season as well. For example, last August in Palm Desert it was $312. Orlando was $332 in September. So, it might be useful to use the getaways for those places instead of an exchange, though, you'll find something good with your exchange if you are patient. And they may give you an accommodation certificate as well, meaning, another week.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanging for Marriotts in Orlando (other than Lakeshore) with my "not top-rated resort" is really easy - I typically travel to Orlando in Nov/Dec for the cooler weather and holiday decorations, but have also gone in March (can require more stalking) and September (really really easy).

Not sure about Palm Desert but I would think that would be a very workable trade plan also. I have looked for Spain trades with my "not top-rated resort" and think that would be very tough (maybe November? maybe.)

I can see smaller villas at Marriotts and Sheraton/Westins in Hawaii in the off season (Nov/Dec - maybe a little in May) but usually not 2BRs. I can see 2BRs at Newport Coast in California but only sporadically in winter (Nov/Dec - but I like the Disneyland holiday decorations also, so YMMV). I have also stayed at Marriotts in Vegas, St Kitts and Hilton Head (used to be able to see Sept but Nov is more common now).

Not sure how similarly powered our resorts would be - and I should mention that while my resort is not highly rated, my week is mid-summer so I probably get a little boost in trade power for that. I can't compete with Marriott owners for peak periods and don't expect to do that, but I am happy with the shoulder seasons (which is sounds like is true for you as well.)

There are also some questions about how the Marriott and Interval deal will impact things going forward and it's hard to say if past results will continue to be a reasonable expectation...

Thanks, this is very helpful. I am not sure whether I would want to deposit my resort in II as it does quite well in RCI (it is a summer week in Southern California) so I am mostly thinking of extra vacations/getaways. But it is good to know that off-season would definitely be a possible trade.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You might want to call up and tell them you are thinking about joining but your resort is duel affiliated and you are currently in RCI and see if they can give you a 2 years for the price of 1 deal. Dual affiliated resorts are more likely to get those offers than those that exchange exclusively through II.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even Lakeshore is easy if you either place a request or check each morning.

I put a request in for Lakeshore for week 51 (December 22 - 29) yesterday and had a confirmation today. I canceled the confirmation today since it was a back up plan. I didn't think that it would confirm so fast.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything you’ve mentioned comes up inexpensively as a getaway. I think you’d definitely find value in an II membership as Marriott/Westin units historically can be around $300 per week in the off season.