• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

PLEASE HELP!!! URGENT!!! Welk Resort Timeshare

rsanson

Reaction score
I recently purchased a timeshare with Welk over the weekend. I am however, having second thoughts and I am still within my cancellation period. Has anyone had any difficulty booking vactions time through II? I am becoming very skeptical based on various reviews I have seen on line.

rsanson

Reaction score
My husband and I recently purchased a timeshare with Welk Resorts over the weekend. I am however, having second thoughts and I am still within my cancellation period. Has anyone had any difficulty booking vactions time through II? I am becoming very skeptical based on various reviews I have seen on line. Also since we are very new to this I have no understanding of high-peak season low peak seson, flex etc. I am also skeptical of the $179.00 fee with interval exchange to trade in points. Can anyon help me? Any advise is greatly appreciated. I have until Friday to cancel. Thank you!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You should absolutely rescind, before it is too later.

*You can buy on the resale market for pennies on the dollar.

*Anyone can have a II Acct. - you don't have to buy from the developer.

*When you exchange through II - it isn't like booking a hotel. Exchanging is competitive - another owner has to deposit the resort/date you want, you have to beat other owners to it, and you have to have the trading power required. It takes some time to learn the system.

*Yes - there is a fee for exchanging - that's true with all exchange companies. That is how they make their money.

Rescind today, and then you can take your time, learn about the resale market, and make a decision that you feel comfortable with, with no pressure.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have any concerns, you should recind. You have not really thought it through. No one should buy a timeshare then decide what to do with it. It's not like you got anything at a deal. Deals are a dollar on eBay. When was the last time you spent that much money on a weekend? The next time you go there the "deal" will be there, and you will be that more knowledgeable about timeshares, and more importantly welk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
The question is HOW did you buy? Did you buy resale cheaply or did you buy at the resort for lots of $$$?

If it's not resale and cheap then the answer is simple: rescind.
If you bought resale and you had a plan that makes sense but now you're just getting cold feet and second thoughts then the answer is not as simple.

The other questions are:
What is your plan? It sounds like you want to trade it through II. Why do you want to do that? Where do you want to go? What do you want to spend?
Why are you "skeptical of the $179.00 fee with interval exchange to trade"? Were you told you could exchange without a fee? Are you skeptical that 179 sounds too low? What exactly are your worries here?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This website will give you an idea of how much you could buy Welk for if you cancel your current purchase.
http://www.calresale.com/

rsanson

Reaction score
We bought at the resort for 12k every other year which includes a bonus week to use for the following year we get nothing. We have use of II. If we buy resale, would we be able to exhange our points to travel abroad?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We bought at the resort for 12k every other year which includes a bonus week to use for the following year we get nothing. We have use of II. If we buy resale, would we be able to exhange our points to travel abroad?

Yes - you can make exchanges using a resale timeshare exactly like buying from the developer.

By "abroad" - what countries and what seasons would you want to travel?

I would not buy a Welk timeshare if I wanted to trade it - there are other resorts with more trading power.

You should rescind, and then do some research.

Last edited:

rsanson

Reaction score
Yes - you can make exchanges using a resale timeshare exactly like buying from the developer.

Italy, France and Greece-during the spring.

rsanson

Reaction score
Also, with resale does that offer the "bonus" week we were given when we purchased from developer?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Those are going to be difficult exchanges. Most timeshares in those countries are in ski areas, or other remote areas - not in the cities that tourists want to visit. That's because the people that live there want to get out of the cities for their vacations.

If this is your primary goal, you are not a good candidate to buy a timeshare.

***Please be aware that timeshare sales people will tell you WHAT EVERY YOU WANT TO HEAR, to get you to buy. They probably told you that you could easily trade for any European location, for any date. This is simply not true.

Last edited:

raygo123

TUG Member
Reaction score
No bonus but if you want every year buy a every year contract. You will still be way ahead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

rsanson

Reaction score

I would not buy a Welk timeshare if I wanted to trade it - there are other resorts with more trading power.

You should rescind, and then do some research.

Are there any recommendations for othere resorts with more trading power?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are there any recommendations for othere resorts with more trading power?

At this point, you should give your full attention to rescinding, and then come back and do more research.

However, be aware that timeshares are not ideal for visiting Europe, so I'm not sure I would buy one for that purpose.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Be aware that in Europe, most timeshares are out in the countryside. They are for the most part not in the cities where N. Americans want to visit. That's because Europeans LIVE in cities, so when they want to vacation, they want to go to the countryside. When Europeans go to cities other than where they live, they will stay in 'pensions' or 'guesthouses' or hotels. Not timeshares.

Jim

rsanson

Reaction score
At this point, you should give your full attention to rescinding, and then come back and do more research.

However, be aware that timeshares are not ideal for visiting Europe, so I'm not sure I would buy one for that purpose.

Denise, I appreciate your input and agree that I should look into cancelling my contract. However, in order to do that I need to gather all the facts so I can discuss this with my husband. I need to be able to give him all the options before we cancel. If we buy resale, would we be able to register with II or RCI for exchange?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise, I appreciate your input and agree that I should look into cancelling my contract. However, in order to do that I need to gather all the facts so I can discuss this with my husband. I need to be able to give him all the options before we cancel. If we buy resale, would we be able to register with II or RCI for exchange?

Absolutely - be sure you read all the responses above, because this has already been covered.

ANYONE who owns a timeshare can open an account with RCI or II - depending on which exchange company the resort is affiliated with.

There is no advantage to buying directly from Welk - remember, you cannot believe much of what the sales person told you.

*** What day did you sign the contract?

Last edited:

rsanson

Reaction score
Absolutely - be sure you read all the responses above, because this has already been covered.

ANYONE who owns a timeshare can open an account with RCI or II - depending on which exchange company the resort is affiliated with.

There is no advantage to buying directly from Welk - remember, you cannot believe much of what the sales person told you.

*** What day did you sign the contract?

Signed the contract on 7-23-16

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
RESCIND!!!

Answers to your questions have already been posted above but I will answer again:
- You can use the exchange companies regardless of if you buy from the developer or resale
- Buying purely to exchange is rarely a good idea and is most successfully done by experienced timeshare owners
- There are lots of other resorts with good trading power or other points systems that might work well for you, start searching and reading here on TUG
- You can rescind now and still buy the same thing again in a few weeks/months if you decide it was a good deal (unlikely to be a good deal) because whatever they sold you is very likely to be available
- Resale is way way way way way cheaper
- There are fees for every exchange. So you pay your annual maintenance fee for the timeshare and then you pay additional fees to exchange. May sure you factor in all the costs, including tax.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
For reference, here is a thread where someone is giving away their Welk ownership. How does this compare to what you just bought? Would you like to save $12k by taking over this person's ownership?

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242396

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on finding us in time to save 10,000 bucks!

rsanson

Reaction score

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Denise,

I was wondering if you received my private message? Please let me know.

Thank you! =)

I did - I'm sorry - I am not able to make private phone calls, but I'm happy to answer your questions here.

However, at this point, it is quite clear that you should rescind - there is no reason to continue with this purchase.

Look at it this way: You have nothing to lose by rescinding. If you rescind, and then do all your research and in 6 weeks decide you want to buy the same pkg., they will be more than happy to sell it to you again.

But I guarantee, that after you do your homework, you will buy resale, or not at all.

rsanson

Reaction score
I did - I'm sorry - I am not able to make private phone calls, but I'm happy to answer your questions here.

However, at this point, it is quite clear that you should rescind - there is no reason to continue with this purchase.

Look at it this way: You have nothing to lose by rescinding. If you rescind, and then do all your research and in 6 weeks decide you want to buy the same pkg., they will be more than happy to sell it to you again.

But I guarantee, that after you do your homework, you will buy resale, or not at all.

No worries! =) Would we be able to do private a message by any chance?