• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning for New York City!

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Staten Island Ferry. I lived in NYC for 25 years and 4 of them on Staten Island. The SI Ferry is a don't miss. The boat takes you past the Statue and and the views of Manhatten are breath taking. The ride use to cost a nickle, then a quarter and now it's free. They weren't making money on it and wouldn't be unless they charged $5 so they just quit charging. I thought the nickel was charming but who cares anyway.
FAO Schwartz is closed. Walmart put them out of business. The Plaza is being renovated into apartments so that's out.
I got some terrific gift certificates on restaurant.com for Mickey Mantels on Central Park South. We had lunch there and the bill was $50 but with the $25 gift certificate it came to $25 before tax and tip on the full price. Right across the street are the handsome cabs. They cost $40 for about a 25 minute ride through the park. Pick the one you want. Don't listen to the drivers calling you. I suggest this for nighttime but I have done it in the daylight with my granddaughters and they loved it. The new Central Park Zoo is nice but doesn't compare with the Bronx Zoo which is the biggest (and best) in the world. Across the street is the Bronx Botanical Gardens also the best imho.
The best show I've seen on Broadway in a while is Hairspray. I liked it way more than Mama Mia. My favorite of all time, I've seen it four times is Phantom of the Opera. Listen to the music and familiarize yourself with the lyrics before you go since the whole thing is sung. The costumes and music are to die for.

There are some good walking tours. I tried to find the link but I wasn't able to find it in my email. I will look it up an PM you with the website. These tours are for New Yorkers and are very reasonable. You just need to get a subway map because they meet where they are touring. So if she is touring Harlem you need to take a subway to Harlem and meet them on the right corner.

Eat the seafood and drink the water. Again, the fish is some of the best in the world imho. With all the seafood caught in the world shuttling through the Fulton Fish Market, now in the Bronx, the fish is exceptionally fresh. The water comes from the Catskill mountains and it is delicious. Stop at any Starbucks on any NYC corner and you'll taste the difference.

I could go on for hours. I think I just did. If you have any questions you have a giant resource pool here at Tug. Since I go to the city several times a month for shows, museums walking tours or just for lunch, feel free to write to me.

Marylyn

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc said:
Thanks. It's now on the list for November (Affinia Dumont), or, if my friends don't want to go this time, then I'm coming back in May with different friends (HGVC New York).

Have you found a way to get into the Hilton Club on Sixth Avenue? I owned there for about a day before I came to tug for advice and reneged. I have been trying to get a reasonable contract ever since. Even re-sale they are very expensive but I know, living in NJ, I would use that timeshare way more than any of the others I own..

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of great info!

Marilyn,

You'd really out did yourself. I'm going to print all of this geat info and place in our planning book. :) Thank You!

icydog said:
Someone mentioned the Staten Island Ferry. I lived in NYC for 25 years and 4 of them on Staten Island. The SI Ferry is a don't miss. The boat takes you past the Statue and and the views of Manhatten are breath taking. The ride use to cost a nickle, then a quarter and now it's free. They weren't making money on it and wouldn't be unless they charged $5 so they just quit charging. I thought the nickel was charming but who cares anyway.
FAO Schwartz is closed. Walmart put them out of business. The Plaza is being renovated into apartments so that's out.
I got some terrific gift certificates on restaurant.com for Mickey Mantels on Central Park South. We had lunch there and the bill was $50 but with the $25 gift certificate it came to $25 before tax and tip on the full price. Right across the street are the handsome cabs. They cost $40 for about a 25 minute ride through the park. Pick the one you want. Don't listen to the drivers calling you. I suggest this for nighttime but I have done it in the daylight with my granddaughters and they loved it. The new Central Park Zoo is nice but doesn't compare with the Bronx Zoo which is the biggest (and best) in the world. Across the street is the Bronx Botanical Gardens also the best imho.
The best show I've seen on Broadway in a while is Hairspray. I liked it way more than Mama Mia. My favorite of all time, I've seen it four times is Phantom of the Opera. Listen to the music and familiarize yourself with the lyrics before you go since the whole thing is sung. The costumes and music are to die for.

There are some good walking tours. I tried to find the link but I wasn't able to find it in my email. I will look it up an PM you with the website. These tours are for New Yorkers and are very reasonable. You just need to get a subway map because they meet where they are touring. So if she is touring Harlem you need to take a subway to Harlem and meet them on the right corner.

Eat the seafood and drink the water. Again, the fish is some of the best in the world imho. With all the seafood caught in the world shuttling through the Fulton Fish Market, now in the Bronx, the fish is exceptionally fresh. The water comes from the Catskill mountains and it is delicious. Stop at any Starbucks on any NYC corner and you'll taste the difference.

I could go on for hours. I think I just did. If you have any questions you have a giant resource pool here at Tug. Since I go to the city several times a month for shows, museums walking tours or just for lunch, feel free to write to me.

Marylyn

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
You're welcome. I love New York. I would never move away from here. Is there the culture and excitment anywhere else? Well maybe, but in NYC so many fun things are so concentrated in one place it can't be beat.
Marylyn

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just went into the city on Sunday to check out the new MOMA (really cool) and just "play it by ear." While planning your theatre tix, keep in mind that while theatre is "dark" on Mondays, there are also very few shows on Sunday nights. If you decide to see Mamma Mia, that plays on Sunday night.

There was nothing we wanted to see, so we just sort of fell into Birdland since we were parked on the street (44th b/t 8th and 9th). What a treat! Even if you're not "into" jazz, they have a "house" Afro-Cuban jazz orchestra that plays every Sunday (for the past 8 years so far), and they were fantastic! 17 pieces, including 12 horns, great drums/percussion, an upright electric bass and a 9ft Bosendorfer. SUPERB musicians. The shows are at 9 and 11, they last over an hour. Music charge is $25pp plus there's a $10 min pp each. You can eat dinner there if you like, we had already eaten and still got a great table. I'm guessing March is busier than August, so you may want to make a reservation if you decide to go.

Avery

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK... it's now April 28 - May 5th!

Kevin said:
Ok, now that we've decided to keep our late March '06 exchange into Manhattan Club... let the fun begin!

Though I'm sure this has been asked and answered, I thought I'd start a new "Best Things NYC" thread. Please help with any of the following ideas for a one week "newbie" trip to the Big Apple:

Best web site or books for info
Must see's & do's
Best "Eats" - cheapo and / or "Big money"
Best shows
Do's & don'ts
Shopping
Public transportation

Etc... etc...etc...!!!

We don't normally do tours and we won't be renting a car. Any advice will be considered GOOD advice. The more information the better. Thanks! :)

Kevin

There are many NYC threads posted. Please forgive if it's becoming redundant. Here's my next question:

How will the change in dates effect our trip... if at all?

My immediate thoughts are of the great buy I got on an overcoat! Also, we'll get to go to a Yankees or Mets game. Please advise. Thanks again!!

Kevin

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kevin,

Wow!! Great dates!!! Basically, I don't think much will change except that the weather of course will be better. As for tickets to the Yankees or Mets, just make sure Boston isn't in town. If they are, order your tickets as soon as they become available through ticketmaster.

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
Kevin,

Wow!! Great dates!!! Basically, I don't think much will change except that the weather of course will be better. As for tickets to the Yankees or Mets, just make sure Boston isn't in town. If they are, order your tickets as soon as they become available through ticketmaster.

Yankees vs. Red Sox! I'm not that lucky... am I? :D

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bump!

Just looking to add to the list. :)

Also, do any of you have suggestions for when / where we should look for airfare for late April early May time frame?

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
any beaders/jewelry makers coming to NYC?

If any of you are into jewelry making/beading/wireworking/etc... I would be glad to take you on a tour of (or send you a list of) my favorite buying spots... a resale number will get you into the best places (and/or get you better prices), but not a must. Send me a PM or email.

Avery

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We use JetBlue out of Seattle

We have always been pleased with the JetBlue Service to JFK. Inexpensive and nonstop.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are my standing New York City tips:

1. Metropolitan Museum of Art : The "recommended admission" is $15 for adults, $10 for seniors, $7 for students, but that's only what's recommended. You can give the cashier any amount - - it's purely a matter of conscience - - and you'll get the exact same admission ticket.

2. Petrossian Restaurant : Reserve for the Saturday or Sunday brunch, and enjoy true elegance for $26 per person

3. Carmines Restaurant : New York's best family-style Southern Italian. Best if you're at least four people, since the fun is in ordering dishes for the table and sharing. And two or three dishes are plenty for a group of four or five, which makes the prices not so high as they appear. Plan to sign up and then amuse yourself in the area for an hour or so - - the wait post-Sunday matinee was 1.5 hours the last time we were there.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
What NOT to see in NYC

I saw the new Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, Woman in White, last night. It was so bad we laughed about it. It's in its last week or so of previews; I expect the reviews will be awful (it didn't do well in London either), and it will likely be closed by the time most of you get here in March. But in the event its not, there will undoubtedly be plenty of cheap tickets floating around so I wanted to warn you. Granted, I'm not a big fan of Mr. Webber, but the music was dull and the story depressing at a minimum. The "set design" consisted of FILM images projected on various curved walls (this really ticks me off). Be sure to check reviews before buying tix if you don't want to take my word. Though I have never heard less enthusiastic applause in any theatre so I'm guessing I am not alone. Still, jmho..... If the reviews are good, well I will eat my hat (or something).

rrgilbert

Reaction score
Is The Manhatten Club in a good locations--looks like it would be. Also, how hard is to to exchange into?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Manhattan Club has an excellent location within walking distance of Broadway shows and many other attractions.

Exchanging into it can be difficult since management usually deposits only weeks in months that are less frequently requested by owners--January through March and occasionally first part of April.

Since maintenance fees are high and owners can use their weeks a day or two at a time, often whole seven-day weeks don't get deposited. I used to own there and I never deposited my week with RCI because I wanted to use it myself and I could easily rent out days I didn't use.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sweeney Todd discount tix through 3/16!!!

Some of you MC visitors will be able to take advantage of this one
The good seats go fast once these announcements go out, so don't wait
it's good for tues/wed/thurs perfs through March 16th

visit broadwayoffers.com and enter code ST36TMC

(212) 947-8844 and mention code ST36TMC

Bring a printout of this offer to the Eugene O'Neill Theatre box office, 230 West 49th St.

"#1 SHOW OF THE YEAR!"
-Entertainment Weekly

"THE MOST ADDICTIVELY DELICIOUS DISH ON BROADWAY IN YEARS!"
-David Cote, Time Out New York

Save over 35% - Limited-Time Offer!

"An event theatergoers will be talking about for years to come! When you're sitting in the theater, you won't want to be anywhere else in the world!"
-Terry Teachout, The Wall Street Journal

"Wickedly funny and wildly imaginative!"
-Jess Cagle, WCBS-TV/People Magazine

Don't miss this opportunity to see PATTI LUPONE and MICHAEL CERVERIS in SWEENEY TODD at a special rate.
$65
Valid Tuesday at 7, Wednesday at 2 & 8, Thursday at 8
for performances January 10 through March 16

www.SweeneyToddOnBroadway.com
Edit/Delete Message

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the show. Since you guys are always talking about the MC, I thought I would mention I have an Affinia Dumont one bedroom reserved for April 22-29. This is a gorgeous hotel in Murray Hill right next to the 34th Street subway. It is also right up the street from the Empire State Building. The Affinia Dumont has a spa, a restaurant, and is PET FRIENDLY. I got the reservation from one of my vacation clubs. I was wondering where I could rent it, should I not be able to use it? Are the Tug classifieds good for renting units like this one since it is not a traditional timeshare. It looks very good on the website www.affiniadumont.com and I was so psyched when I got it. I just hope I can use it myself.

anngem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Daily Show Tix?

Anybody have any success getting Daily Show tickets? I have an address to write for tickets but was wondering if there's a better way.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Kevin- Do a timeshare tour at the Manhattan club . Last year we got tix to broadway and $100 for dinner. You can call them in advance to see what shows they will be giving out. Do not do the tour on a Monday as Broadway is dark and they will not have tix for you. The tix they give are for THAT day only so plan accordingly and book for the first thing in the morning so you will get it done early. Also, hokey but fun for a cold March day is Madame Tusseau's wax museum on 42 Street or very near there. Blondie

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
icydog,

I only recently heard about the Affinia Dumont on TUG; the Tripadvisor reviews are excellent, and it turns out I am familiar with the building (always noticed that Barking Dog restaurant), it is really a great location. Is it only available through RHC? Anyway, if you are allowed to rent it, you may very likely find an interested TUGger, but if I were you I'd try to use it...

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Avery said:
icydog,

I only recently heard about the Affinia Dumont on TUG; the Tripadvisor reviews are excellent, and it turns out I am familiar with the building (always noticed that Barking Dog restaurant), it is really a great location. Is it only available through RHC? Anyway, if you are allowed to rent it, you may very likely find an interested TUGger, but if I were you I'd try to use it...

Thanks Avery, you know it is so tempting to use it myself and be treated royally for a change while in the city. We only live 45 minutes away in NJ so NYC is pretty routine for us. But I am a native New Yorker and I can find a million things to do in a week. Just imagine a show a day and then the musuems and the restaurants and walking around at night with the crowds. Wow, I love New York!