• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planes

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Seems like more than normal of them are not staying in the air recently.

:(

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The sheer number of flights, number of passengers/cargo and astounding safety record is hard to see some times....but it's real.

Pilots don't grow on trees, nor do they ripen in 180 days.

As pilots become less experienced, less available and air travel continues to grow and complicate......
you'll sadly see more incidents and accidents.

Wednesday was the busiest day since Flightradar24, a site that monitors real-time air traffic, started tracking flights. On July 24, more than 225,000 flights took to the skies, according to a tweet from Flightradar24.

EAVAab2XYAEOiPz

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
When we have people coming to visit us in Florida in the Winter, I like to use Flightaware.

I tell them when their plane is landing to pick them up, and then watch their flight coming to us. That way I know when, or if, we should head to the airport.

So, yeah, I have seen that sort of radar image a few times.

amazing

My OP is more about the smaller planes that are crashing lately, most of them soon after takeoff or landing.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Again, I think we all get very lackadaisical in our approach to flying and training.
The lack of accidents dampens the discussions of disaster and 'dead stick' training--especially close to the takeoff phase.
Overloaded planes, early turns out of traffic, stalls/spins instead of 'controlled' crashes.
There are lots of clues and hints as to why there are fatal accidents.

IMHO.
Also, the exorbitant cost of maintenance these days is driving some people to defer 'minor' problems IMO.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Two more today, at least two that made the national news.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My OP is more about the smaller planes that are crashing lately, most of them soon after takeoff.
Not clear from your OP.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
My OP is more about the smaller planes that are crashing lately, most of them soon after takeoff or landing.
Crash on take-off is most likely due to contaminated fuel. Part of the pre-flight check is to drain some fuel from the tank to check for water. The other part could be exceeding the hours on the engine and not doing the proper maintenance by a certified mechanic.

Crash on landing is most likely weather conditions or pilot error.

The two that come to mind are JFK Jr an John Denver.

JFK Jr was a newly minted instrument rated pilot, but circumstances pushed him into a situation far beyond his skill. Instrument flying over open water at night is extremely difficult (you have no horizon) and you have to understand that your senses are lying to you. Trust the instruments. That sense of wanting to get to the destination will sometimes lead a general aviation pilot into deteriorating conditions which exceed their abilities.

John Denver bought a homebuilt aircraft. The builder put the fuel tank selector switch in an unorthodox location. It turned out John could not actuate it when the plane was in the air. He had to turn his body 90 degrees to switch tanks and he lost control of the aircraft.

Commercial pilots work with check lists, general aviation ... your guess is as good as mine.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Several recent ones have been small crafts in the vicinity of airports.

Dale Earnhart's appeared to be too far down the runway on landing, then rough, bouncing, sheering off the landing gear, sliding to a fiery finish. All survived, including the baby and the family dog.

Yesterday's similar small jet was after a refueling stop in California, then fiery crash on takeoff, with, miraculously, also all surviving.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
The Earnhart accident is a simple 1,2,3: NTSB investigators have already revealed that the aircraft landed hard, bounced several times and collapsed the (right?) main gear on landing. After the gear collapsed, the aircraft rapidly departed the runway etc... PILOT ERROR

The C560 in Oroville is more complicated: Initial reports indicate that the pilot reported some type of 'flight control problem' near/beyond V1/rotation speed. The temp was 85 deg @ 200' above sea level. The runway was 6000 feet long. This was probably adequate runway for the aircraft.....
Why did the pilot reject the takeoff? Who knows. Was the aircraft past the maximum reject speed (max speed to stop on runway remaining)?? Who knows. Again, this is either pilot error (late abort/reject) or an unavoidable accident due to a maintenance problem or inadequate pre-flight.

If you look above, you'll see my two concerns with aviation right now: Decreasing pilot experience/skills and decreasing maintenance quality/quantity.

We'll find out soon what the real answers were....