• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Phone app for creating passport photos

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Can anyone recommend an app for an iPhone that would make it easy to take a photo for a passport?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Why not just go to a local Walgreens, CVS or even Costco to get it done?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We got ours at Walgreens in 1 hour - super easy and they know what they are doing: https://photo.walgreens.com/store/passport-photos

Other alternatives:
  1. Passport Booth (iOS) or (Android) – A free and easy to use app. Just take your passport photo and email it to yourself for free. You will have a 4×6 image that has two 2×2 passport photos. Print it cheaply at your local pharmacy or at home, cut carefully, and you'll have 2 passport photos for pennies each. See this price comparison of the cheapest places to print your passport photos. If you don't feel like taking a trip to the pharmacy, you can have 2 photos mailed to you for $5.96.
  2. ID PhotoPrint – Another good option. It looks a bit dated but works well. After you take your photo, you can email yourself a 4×6 picture that has six pictures. Similar as above, print the photo cheaply at your local pharmacy or at home. This app will also mail you the photos but the price is a bit higher: $6.95 for 2 photos.
  3. epassportphoto.com – This is a website, not an app. It offers a similar free do it yourself tool, or you can have your photo delivered for $7.99 (2 photos) or $11.99 (8 photos) to your home or local CVS / Walgreens which has an extra “printing fee” (i.e. I believe the same fee as if you print your own photo). I used their free tool and the picture came out acceptable despite looking a little bit stretched. I printed the photo at my local pharmacy and used it to obtain my Vietnam Tourist Visa. This was probably not something I would use for a passport but I didn't spend much time tinkering with the software to get a better quality image. The first two options are cheaper and better.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They took ours at the post office when we renewed. (Done online and printed and taken in) It may have cost $10 or so, but the thing already beat up $150 with a pp card, so what's another little bit and no extra stops and they get it exactly as they require it.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If you are a AAA Plus member - you can get them for free at AAA.

Worked great for my wife's recent passport renewal.

Richard

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You can usually find a coupon online for Walgreens or CVS at their websites.

Interestingly, NYC Metro senior discount passes require a passport-esque photo with slightly different dimensions. We took the extra passport photo and cut it down to fit the space, and that worked.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an app for an iPhone that would make it easy to take a photo for a passport?

So you can print it at home? Curious what kind of printer you have..ink jet by any chance?

Sure you want to do this with a passport?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you can print it at home? Curious what kind of printer you have..ink jet by any chance?

Sure you want to do this with a passport?
It shouldn't really matter. When the new passport (or p.p. Card) is processed, the provided photo is digitized and printed on it, not just attached like back in the old days.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Walgreen's (or something similar). For me it was fifteen minutes total time at a cost of $15. Any savings with an app is not worth trying to get the correct background, lining yourself up right, cutting the photo correctly with an app. IMHO

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another vote for Walgreen's (or something similar). For me it was fifteen minutes total time at a cost of $15. Any savings with an app is not worth trying to get the correct background, lining yourself up right, cutting the photo correctly with an app. IMHO

Agreed. This was my point. Printing a passport photo at home within the guidelines of required formatting seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
If you are a AAA Plus member - you can get them for free at AAA.

Worked great for my wife's recent passport renewal.

Richard
We have an AAA Plus membership too, but our local office says the photos aren't free here. I think they said it was around $15 or so. We'll likely go to Sam's Club for the photos. I think the phone app would probably be more trouble than it's worth now that I've investigated further.

Thanks for all the info.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an AAA Plus membership too, but our local office says the photos aren't free here. I think they said it was around $15 or so. We'll likely go to Sam's Club for the photos. I think the phone app would probably be more trouble than it's worth now that I've investigated further.

Thanks for all the info.

Good decision. We also felt it's just not worth the effort to try a do-it-yourself. We opted for Walgreen's. Quick and painless.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Agreed. This was my point. Printing a passport photo at home within the guidelines of required formatting seems like a solution looking for a problem.
I would tend to agree, digitizing a poor quality home printed photo really can't turn out all that well. Unless you already have photo paper, the cost would probably just be cheaper to go somewhere to get them done.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We've done passport pictures at CVS and at FedEx Kinkos. Neither was terribly expensive. I may have had a coupon for CVS.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Costco charges $4.99 for two photos.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

Thanks for all the info.
My wife has AAA Plus. She had to pay $2.99 for her passport photo back in January. They indicated that the price went from $0 to $2.99 for Plus members on 1/1/2017. According to our local AAA member benefits, it is only $7.99 for regular members and Premier members is still free.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
AAA is about $15 for members here too.