• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Persistent Cough

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I got a cold a week ago and that was accompanied by a cough. Both the cold and the cough will not go away. My doctor gave me a zpak and I stated taking that on Thursday. So I’m on day 8 of feeling bad and I just want to enjoy my vacation in NOLA

Any suggestions for the cough.

My doctor told me the stay hydrated and I’ve already drank 6 glasses since 6 am. I’m taking cough drops like they are candy.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hot Tea and the original herb Ricola cough drops seem to work for me. I hope you feel better soon.

Cough Drops (2017) - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/cough-drops.250559/

From WEBMD - https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/features/cough-relief-how-lose-bad-cough?print=true

Cough Relief: How to Lose a Bad Cough

1. Stay Hydrated. An upper respiratory tract infection like a cold or flu causes postnasal drip. ...
  2. Try Lozenges and Hot Drinks. Try a menthol cough drop, Yoder suggests. ...
  3. Take Steamy Showers, and Use a Humidifier. ...
  4. Remove Irritants From the Air. ...
  5. Take Medications to Treat Coughs.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I met a U.K. nurse on a cruise who told me to eat dark chocolate, 70% or more cocoa.
I found a large bar of the stuff at a port-shop, and it did help.

An Urgent Care doc once told me to make a strong cup of hot tea (6 tea bags) - for the tannins - with honey, and gargle and slowly swallow.

Last edited:

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
What type of doc was it? A GP or an internal med doc? Makes a big difference...

To answer your question, a return visit to the physician, or, visit a different physician.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) work best for me. They are an rx though.

The Perles did nothing for me... my throat laughed at them.
Complained to the doc and he gave me an Rx for cough syrup with codeine.
That had me flying, but it worked.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use Mucinex (or the cheap store brand equivalent) gualefenesin (sp). It thins the mucous. You can get it with a suppressant, but I don't

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sorry to hear about your illness prior to your trip. I have been told that the cough is the last to go.

I have a persistent cough from allergies. I take NAC (n-acetylcysteine) because it is more effective than Mucinex for me. It thins the mucus (and has many other benefits to your body as well such as cleansing your liver, and potentially lowering cholesterol.) You can buy it OTC @ GNC, Vitamin Store or Kaiser OTC Pharmacy.

https://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hn-2888006

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1018/n-acetyl-cysteine

Last edited:

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
you should not feel badly after a zpak. you should go back to Dr. My Dr. says if not better after 3 days of antibiotics to call him. Once I had chest infection, took Biaxin (the gold standard for bronchitis and Pneumonia). After 48 hours, I was "better" but not 90% better. After 7 days, still not bouncing back. Dr. switched me to another med and I was 90% within 24 hours. Dr. still doesn't understand why the Biaxin didn't work.
Otherwise, mucinex for at least 3 days after you feel better and cough is gone to clear it all out. If coughing a lot, add a cough suppressant, esp. if cough if nonproductive (nothing coming up). Does your stuff still have a color--yellow, brown, green? Also, check your breathing--can you take a deep breath, hold it 5 seconds and blow out fast without wheezing or any distress? If not, you might also need a temporary inhaler. Let us know how you do. Elaine

lockewong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, West 57th, The Central at 5th, HGVC Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
I got a cold a week ago and that was accompanied by a cough. Both the cold and the cough will not go away. My doctor gave me a zpak and I stated taking that on Thursday. So I’m on day 8 of feeling bad and I just want to enjoy my vacation in NOLA

My doctor told me the stay hydrated and I’ve already drank 6 glasses since 6 am. I’m taking cough drops like they are candy.
Mucinex is a good over-the-counter. But, get brewed tea with lots of lemon and honey. Honey soothes the throat and lemon clears it out. My mother-in-law throws in a slug of scotch at night.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

You are two days on zpak, by the third day you should feel better. If by Monday you don’t feel better or you get worse before then I suggest you go back to the doctor or urgent care to listen to your lungs to make sure it hasn’t become bronchitis or pneumonia. If it’s viral the zpak would do nothing and it just has to run its course but I know for me when I am bacterial I need to take a second zpak. For Bronchitis or pneumonia something different then zpak will be prescribed.

Mucinex is what I use for a cold.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hope you feel better soon. When are you leaving for vacation?

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I misunderstood. Thought it was 8 days post zpak. Muconex and hot fluids-watch the caffeine. Spicy foods that make your nose run help if you can tolerate. If not better after zpak go back to dr.

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
The Perles did nothing for me... my throat laughed at them.
Complained to the doc and he gave me an Rx for cough syrup with codeine.
That had me flying, but it worked.

Maybe it depends on why the cough is still there. I tend to get bronchitis-type chest infections with long, lingering coughs that ruin any chance of sleeping as it's always worse at night. I find the Benzonatate a godsend. It works by suppressing the diagram contraction that causes coughing (so it was explained to me).

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Spicy foods that make your nose run help if you can tolerate.

Whenever I have sinus issues, I say, "We need to go to La Fiesta."
Their enchilada sauce is always good for clearing out my sinuses.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perles do nothing for me

After many long lasting illnesses, finally diagnosed with bronchial spasms

Steroids, nebulizer, and breo ellipta finally did the trick

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Promethazine cough syrup is actually codeine and works very good for a persistent cough. It works really good with a shot of booze.

Bill

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
If you can tolerate spicy foods, here is what I do; Make a bowl of Ramen noodles and squirt a lot of Sriracha sauce. The hot spicy broth really helps break up the mucus.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Return to your doctor. There has been a nasty virus going all around where the cough lasts several weeks.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Everyone:

Spent the afternoon just hanging out at Tableu, great Happy Hour. Came beck to the QH and took a 5 hour nap. I feel a bit better, tommorow will be day 3 on the Zpack. I’m hoping I will be better tommorow.

Thank you all for the recommendations

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe it depends on why the cough is still there. I tend to get bronchitis-type chest infections with long, lingering coughs that ruin any chance of sleeping as it's always worse at night. I find the Benzonatate a godsend. It works by suppressing the diagram contraction that causes coughing (so it was explained to me).

I think this is why I’m still having issues. The coughing has been keeping me up at night. Is Benzonatate over the counter?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Is Benzonatate over the counter?

From GoodRx...
Benzonatate is a prescription, non-narcotic cough medication that numbs the airways, air sacs and the lining of the lungs. Studies show that benzonatate combined with 600 mg of Mucinex works even better than benzonatate alone.

What about adding inhalers when you have a cough? If your doctor hears wheezing with your cough, he may prescribe an inhaler. Routine use of inhalers has not been shown to improve the severity of a cough or shorten its duration.

Codeine cough suppressants should only be an option for short-term use in desperate times. If your cough is keeping you up at night, these can help. Just know that daytime use is limited because they can make you feel dopey during the day...

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/whats-the-best-cough-medicine/
------------------------
For me, the last time, only codeine medication was effective.
The dark chocolate bars provided temporary relief to my throat.

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing like medical advice from complete strangers on an anonymous internet forum :doh: