• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Penn State/Sandusky report is out [merged]

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
Penn State is a Football legacy, with the Death Sentence the NCAA is cutting its own throat to!

I'm one of those that believes you shouldn't be punishing the players for the moron's(i won't call him a coach anymore, a coach not only leads and teaches with his words but his actions also) actions. These kids fight their whole lives to get to the level on D1 football and to play on a team like Penn state and now because of the moron, we are going to hurt more children

I played some high school ball and even had family(not me, i'm still not a hard enough worker) who got scholarships(not full) to schools to play other sports(Basketball, Lacrosse) so i know what kind of dedication it takes to get to that kind of a level....These kids deserve much more then just being an after thought

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For every argument in favor of your approach, there is an equally compelling argument on the NCAA-led approach. It is what it is now. Penn State will have no one to blame but themselves if the NCAA gets all up in Penn States a$$ over this.

I agree that PSU may be opening themselves up to getting bent over and, quite frankly, if this challenge gathers steam, I hope they do. Nonetheless, I contend that the NCAA could have done a better job at covering their a$$ and still arrived at the same result. Another few days of deliberation and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I agree that PSU may be opening themselves up to getting bent over and, quite frankly, if this challenge gathers steam, I hope they do. Nonetheless, I contend that the NCAA could have done a better job at covering their a$$ and still arrived at the same result. Another few days of deliberation and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

+1

Of course, in my opinion, PSU got off light. Contesting it should only make it worse.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I played some high school ball and even had family(not me, i'm still not a hard enough worker) who got scholarships(not full) to schools to play other sports(Basketball, Lacrosse) so i know what kind of dedication it takes to get to that kind of a level....These kids deserve much more then just being an after thought
Isn't that exactly what the BOT is doing to them? They need an answer now, before the season starts, not in a few months.

For the regular students, this is also terrible. There are many who are upset that the sanctions were not harsh enough, and take their anger our on current students (when it should only be aimed at the knukleheads who protested when Paterno was filed). How do you think those people are going to act now? There will be backlash, and the current students don't deserve that.

If the BOT didn't in fact agree to the finding of the Freeh report, then the time to act should have been immediately following the statement that they did, not after the NCAA announced sanctions. Certain Trustees feel the NCAA did not give them due process, didn't follow their own bylaws, but those bylaws allow for the NCAA to skip the investigation step if both sides agree to the facts in question. The NCAA moved forward with the understanding that both PSU and the NCAA agreed to the facts as stated in the Freeh report.

It would be interesting to see what these people would have made as a counter-offer. which part bothers them the most? Is it the money? The loss of scholarships, post-season play? It could be very telling. Yes, it's possible the NCAA board is made up of people who wanted to get back at PSU, but that's irrelevant. PSU does not have the upper hand. These people are living in a fantasy world if they they will end up with fewer sanctions. They seem to think that not only is football king, but PSU football is the king of all kings. They're used to getting their way, but I don't think that's going to happen this time.

And meanwhile, what do you do with the football players? The NCAA would be smart to issue a waiver for them, pending any final decisions. Meanwhile the ones who chose to stay are in limbo. And the rest of the student body is in limbo too. Fighting this will cost money, and will result in even bigger losses if the death penalty is imposed.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't believe some members of the BOT are taking this action! I was actually in the camp that thought the BOT acted very favorably in this process. Not anymore!

I actually thought PSU got off light and they got off light because of the plea deal the president made with the NCAA. Now these idiots want to contest that plea deal!? Good, let them appeal. Now I hope that the NCAA puts the death penalty back on the table as part of the appeal and I think it would be poetic justice if they exercised it!

Don't these idiots realize that this just continues to shine a negative light on PSU and prevents any substantial healing from taking place?

I don't buy the argument that this is hurting the current PSU players. They're all allowed to transfer without penalty during the WHOLE time of the 4 year bowl ban. That makes them perpetual free agents for the next 4 years. IMO it actually provides them with a significant advantage over almost all other college scholarship athletes. If they don't like their situation at any time over the next 4 years, they can simply move on and transfer without penalty. Nine of them already have and I'm sure there will be a lot more in the next 4 years.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't buy the argument that this is hurting the current PSU players. They're all allowed to transfer without penalty during the WHOLE time of the 4 year bowl ban. That makes them perpetual free agents for the next 4 years. IMO it actually provides them with a significant advantage over almost all other college scholarship athletes. If they don't like their situation at any time over the next 4 years, they can simply move on and transfer without penalty. Nine of them already have and I'm sure there will be a lot more in the next 4 years.

Then that punishes the players at the other colleges who don't get to play, because their spot is taken by a PSU player. The tentacles of the punishment spread to even more innocents.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then that punishes the players at the other colleges who don't get to play, because their spot is taken by a PSU player. The tentacles of the punishment spread to even more innocents.

That is life in the NCAA.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

ALL NCAA athletic scholarships are really just one year deals and they need to be renewed by the school on an annual basis. The system heavily favors the schools who can just drop players from scholarships very easily. However, if a player wants to transfer to another school they get penalized and have to sit out a year. Coaches also routinely break their contracts and move around without significant penalties.

I actually think the way it is now for the PSU players is the way it should be for all NCAA athletic scholarship players.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
ALL NCAA athletic scholarships are really just one year deals and they need to be renewed by the school on an annual basis. The system heavily favors the schools who can just drop players from scholarships very easily. However, if a player wants to transfer to another school they get penalized and have to sit out a year. Coaches also routinely break their contracts and move around without significant penalties.

I actually think the way it is now for the PSU players is the way it should be for all NCAA athletic scholarship players.
\

The players get a bad deal but if they are able to transfer at a whim they will never graduate. Also the will go to the highest bidder which will create a lot more penalties for schools.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
Penn State is a Football legacy, with the Death Sentence the NCAA is cutting its own throat to!

how so?

for one thing, the NCAA derives most of its revenues from the basketball side (the big march tournament). they don't get nearly that much from the football side currently.

i suspect pretty much all of the hundreds of schools that comprise the NCAA will vote that covering up felonies that harm children in order to preserve your football reputation deserves the heaviest penalties that can be dealt...

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
i suspect pretty much all of the hundreds of schools that comprise the NCAA will vote that covering up felonies that harm children in order to preserve your football reputation deserves the heaviest penalties that can be dealt...

From the Elan's ESPN article that detailed the chronology and negotiations leading up to the sentence, the NCAA had been very much in favor of a 4-year dealth penalty.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
The BOT at Penn State has disgraced the University and has disgraced the State of Pennsylvania. It is now quite obvious that the BOT is more interested in the football program than the safety of innocent children. Frankly, I think the NCAA should not only give Penn State's football program the death penalty, but give all varsity sports at Penn State a permanent death penalty because of the actions taken by the BOT. I no longer care if current athletes are unfairly impacted or not. That punishment would fit the crime. My sympathies lie with the victims of the sexual abuse and the cover up.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only does this not hurt the players, but it also might be a mitigating factor for PSU, in terms of recruiting. Recruits who are likely to get loads of play time as a freshman elsewhere will go elsewhere, but those needing a small amount of development might be inclined to go to PSU if they will get more play time (and more opportunity to improve). Then after one or two years, they can transfer directly into another program.
Yes, those transfers could impact the number of freshmen being recruited, but the ones that are dropped are just as likely to be picked up at PSU - the net number of players coming into the system is unchanged. It's just a matter of where they play. The only ones really negatively impacted are those that enter PSU as freshmen the final year of sanctions, who might not have the opportunity to transfer - they might be "stuck" at PSU, which may or may not be a bad thing at that point. Of course that will be academic if PSU ends up with the death penalty.
The BOT at Penn State has disgraced the University and has disgraced the State of Pennsylvania. It is now quite obvious that the BOT is more interested in the football program than the safety of innocent children. Frankly, I think the NCAA should not only give Penn State's football program the death penalty, but give all varsity sports at Penn State a permanent death penalty because of the actions taken by the BOT. I no longer care if current athletes are unfairly impacted or not. That punishment would fit the crime. My sympathies lie with the victims of the sexual abuse and the cover up.
I'm starting to think the same way. Kick PSU out of the NCAA, and allow the current student athletes the option to transfer.

I suspect the BOT executive committee acted as they did to avoid this exact mess. They knew they had a couple of newly minted BOT members who would never accept any appropriate punishment. They tried to protect the BOT from "itself." The NCAA didn't want the proposed sanctions publicized until everything was set; if they had been shared with those BOT members, in all likelihood they would have talked, and forced the issue.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Penn State to ratify sanctions (from ESPN.com):

-------------------------------------------------------

The Penn State University board of trustees will hold a special meeting Sunday and is expected to formally ratify the consent decree of sanctions agreed to last month by university president Rodney Erickson and the NCAA, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Board chairwoman Karen Peetz called the meeting "so that there can be no misunderstanding as to where we as the board stand."

Erickson and the NCAA signed a consent decree on July 23 that laid out a package of sanctions against the university and football program as a result of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal. The sanctions include a $60 million fine, a four-year bowl ban, scholarship losses and the vacating of wins from 1998-2011.

The resolution the board will consider states "the process followed by the (NCAA) was unfortunate and the punitive sanctions are difficult," and refers to the consent decree as "binding."

The outcome of Sunday's meeting seems almost certain, sources told "Outside the Lines," because two straw polls about whether to appeal the sanctions were taken by a quorum of trustees during a conference call Tuesday.

That call may have constituted an illegal board meeting, given the votes taken, the number of trustees present and the lack of public notice given about the call -- a requirement of the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act.

Only a few of the more than 20 trustees on the Tuesday call said they wished to appeal the NCAA sanctions.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Penn State to ratify sanctions (from ESPN.com):

-------------------------------------------------------

The Penn State University board of trustees will hold a special meeting Sunday and is expected to formally ratify the consent decree of sanctions agreed to last month by university president Rodney Erickson and the NCAA, "Outside the Lines" has learned.

Board chairwoman Karen Peetz called the meeting "so that there can be no misunderstanding as to where we as the board stand."

Erickson and the NCAA signed a consent decree on July 23 that laid out a package of sanctions against the university and football program as a result of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal. The sanctions include a $60 million fine, a four-year bowl ban, scholarship losses and the vacating of wins from 1998-2011.

The resolution the board will consider states "the process followed by the (NCAA) was unfortunate and the punitive sanctions are difficult," and refers to the consent decree as "binding."

The outcome of Sunday's meeting seems almost certain, sources told "Outside the Lines," because two straw polls about whether to appeal the sanctions were taken by a quorum of trustees during a conference call Tuesday.

That call may have constituted an illegal board meeting, given the votes taken, the number of trustees present and the lack of public notice given about the call -- a requirement of the Pennsylvania Sunshine Act.

Only a few of the more than 20 trustees on the Tuesday call said they wished to appeal the NCAA sanctions.

I hope they do vote to appeal the sanctions and consent decree!

I'd then love to see the NCAA, after "proper due process" of course, nail those arrogant bastards with the death penalty!

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe only a few rogue trustees were flapping their gums. Maybe this vote will restore order to the Matrix.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that only 4 of 32 trustees were behind the appeal. Don't quote me on that one.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
My understanding is that only 4 of 32 trustees were behind the appeal. Don't quote me on that one.

:D :rolleyes: :hysterical: :wave:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It's good to see some measure of sanity here, good to learn that a majority of the board members saw the reasonableness of not challenging the NCAA sanctions.

It appears this appeal was spearheaded by one of the newest BOT members, Anthony Lubrano, PSU '82, who as an alumnus was very critical of the board's decision last November to fire Paterno, and then won a seat in the spring election partly on the strength of a Paterno tribute that he ran on TV.

It didn't take any effort at all for most people to see how much worse things could be if Lubrano's appeal continued (heck, just look at the practically-unanimous agreement here on TUG!) I've gotta believe that same sense is finally prevailing for most of the board members and can well imagine that they'd finally heard enough from this guy and his few followers. Good on them for at least making an effort to learn their new reality AND to try to teach it to those who are still in LaLaLand. If the majority board follows this path then maybe there is hope for a new culture.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
HAhaha! Funny!

Yeah, funny! :D

Ok, don't quote me anywhere that it might matter. :)

What I was trying to say is I remember the 4, but I'm not positive on the 32. When I read that figure it seemed like about 20 more members than a BOT needs to have, so I'm questioning whether it's is correct. I could Google, I guess......

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope they do vote to appeal the sanctions and consent decree!

I'd then love to see the NCAA, after "proper due process" of course, nail those arrogant bastards with the death penalty!

That would be true justice, but it appears as though more rational heads will prevail.

Either way, the football program should be largely irrelevant for many, many years. For a school like Penn State, that's like cutting it's heart out.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What a shame.

Hopefully Franklin has the class to donate any bonus received due to playing in the post season to the victims or to awareness.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am lost - there have been no posts in this thread for the last 2 years, and then two new ones today - what are you referring to?