• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

PBSB Questions

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I have a couple of questions about Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for any Tuggers who have stayed there before.

We will be staying at PBSB this coming March. We have been to Cabo before (GM in SJdC) and have gotten the lay of the land pretty well. We are explorers, and only expect to spend a couple of days lazing at the resort.

Question 1. AI plan. From the first day I booked, PB has been bombarding us with discount offers for the AI plan. Seems to bring it down to about $80/pp but that is more like C$100. We would expect to eat maybe 4-6 meals at the resort during the week, and maybe a few drinks poolside when sunning. I don’t think that would run anywhere near US$1100 for the week (C$1400-1500). Our normal eating pattern on vacation is one big meal a day (lunch or dinner), and light breakfasts and a 3rd meal we make ourselves. We eat very healthy at home and find we can’t splurge on more than one restaurant meal per day. Based on that, I am thinking that I still don’t want the AI plan as it will cost more than I expect to spend at the resort, but every review I read says to take it. (Note: we will have a car and know where several grocery stores are. We will stop at Costco on the way in for a big bag of limes and a bottle of tequila – margaritas on the lanai with the sunset!)

Question 2. Internet. Does anyone know what the charge for internet is if we don’t take the AI plan? I can probably do without if there is decent cell service there. My roaming plan costs $10/day (US$7), and I have a 10GB plan which should cover the little data I need (checking email, booking restaurants). I see even the AI plan only includes 1 device; we usually have 4 at least.

Question 3. Walk to town. We are both regular walkers, generally doing 5-6k (3-4mi) a few times a week. Looking on google earth, it appears that it would be an easy walk to town through the Pedregal neighborhood. That route would take us down the beach a bit to the south east past the empty lot beside the resort to Playa Pedregal. There appear to be a couple of spots where we might be able to cut through to the street without trespassing, but the satellite images can be deceiving. Anyone tried this before; is there a public access? Once on the street, there appear to be sidewalks all the way to the marina area, and Pedregal itself is a pretty ritzy neighborhood, so I don’t think the risk would be that high. Walking to town via the resort’s access road would be about twice the distance around the other side of the hill that the resort is built on, and the neighborhoods don’t appear as nice.

Any other insights about PBSB would also be greatly appreciated!

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at PBSB a few years back, had a great time. I'm also in the midst of planning a return trip for 2019. To answer your questions, and keeping in mind its been a few years for me:

1. It depends how much you eat and drink at the resort. I pass on the AI.
2. The newer suites in villas 19-24 and 36-41 have free Internet access. Also, free wireless access is provided throughout much of the resort including the pools, and extends to some balconies. The internet for a fee is higher speed.
3.No. We usually take the free shuttle to and from the other PB resorts in town.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
I have a couple of questions about Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for any Tuggers who have stayed there before.

We will be staying at PBSB this coming March. We have been to Cabo before (GM in SJdC) and have gotten the lay of the land pretty well. We are explorers, and only expect to spend a couple of days lazing at the resort.

Question 1. AI plan. From the first day I booked, PB has been bombarding us with discount offers for the AI plan. Seems to bring it down to about $80/pp but that is more like C$100. We would expect to eat maybe 4-6 meals at the resort during the week, and maybe a few drinks poolside when sunning. I don’t think that would run anywhere near US$1100 for the week (C$1400-1500). Our normal eating pattern on vacation is one big meal a day (lunch or dinner), and light breakfasts and a 3rd meal we make ourselves. We eat very healthy at home and find we can’t splurge on more than one restaurant meal per day. Based on that, I am thinking that I still don’t want the AI plan as it will cost more than I expect to spend at the resort, but every review I read says to take it. (Note: we will have a car and know where several grocery stores are. We will stop at Costco on the way in for a big bag of limes and a bottle of tequila – margaritas on the lanai with the sunset!)

Question 2. Internet. Does anyone know what the charge for internet is if we don’t take the AI plan? I can probably do without if there is decent cell service there. My roaming plan costs $10/day (US$7), and I have a 10GB plan which should cover the little data I need (checking email, booking restaurants). I see even the AI plan only includes 1 device; we usually have 4 at least.

Question 3. Walk to town. We are both regular walkers, generally doing 5-6k (3-4mi) a few times a week. Looking on google earth, it appears that it would be an easy walk to town through the Pedregal neighborhood. That route would take us down the beach a bit to the south east past the empty lot beside the resort to Playa Pedregal. There appear to be a couple of spots where we might be able to cut through to the street without trespassing, but the satellite images can be deceiving. Anyone tried this before; is there a public access? Once on the street, there appear to be sidewalks all the way to the marina area, and Pedregal itself is a pretty ritzy neighborhood, so I don’t think the risk would be that high. Walking to town via the resort’s access road would be about twice the distance around the other side of the hill that the resort is built on, and the neighborhoods don’t appear as nice.

Any other insights about PBSB would also be greatly appreciated!

1. we don't drink and find AI worth it. I kept track of receipts and found that after 2 meals we were ahead. I like the variety and also eat healthy and found the AI made it easier and less hassle. We are going This december and have AI booked for family. But thats us. Others will say eat local (which I agree with) however with our young kids taxis & walking are not conducive to scheduled life of young kids.
  2. There a fee for faster internet. forget the amount.
  3. We took free shuttle from Sunset Beach to sister resort (Rose). Then walked from there. One could walk from SB however its a long distance. Per google maps from PBSB to Cabo Wabo it would be a 58 minute walk. (I would go to rose then walk)
    • The resort it great for walking. We walked from SB to golf course and back. It ended up being 3 miles+/- and enjoyed the nature. Its my favorite place for vacation.
There is a very active Facebook Group for Pueblo Bonito Owners that would be worth joining. They will have other insights and ideas.

My list of things I love:
  • wet spa (free)
  • Walk from room to breakfast buffet each morning
  • then walk back up (gets some serious stairs)
  • sit at sky pool
  • Eat lunch at Mercado (Market)
  • walk to golf course and back
  • Nap :)
  • Sky pool (watch sunset from there)
  • dinner at one of the amazing options
we love walking and exploring. Also Rose, Blanco are great for dinner, pool, and beach and are a bus ride away.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, which is in the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach compound down the hill right on the beach. We loved the resort. We were there last Christmas week. PBSB is very classy and upscale. We got a very inexpensive upgrade to a gorgeous 1 bedroom suite with two balconies in the exclusive section of the resort with stunning ocean views. We did the AI because we thought it was a good value for the price and the food is excellent, plus the hotel side does not have a kitchen. The architecture in Sunset Beach and the Montecristo Estates is very beautiful and class Spanish style. The hotel is contemporary but I really liked the 1 bedroom suite’s layout and views, better than the Sunset Beach section. If we visited again, I would choose the Montecristo Estates because all the homes have fabulous views, a private pool and they are large. PBSB has a great shuttle bus system within the resort to go to all the restaurants as well as to their downtown resorts. In the hotel, we always had internet and I do not recall having a fee. When we went to the Sunset Beach side, we had internet service too. We attended the timeshare presentation and it was informative and low pressure. We got $400 off our upgrade to the suite so the upgrade only ended up costing $200 and they gave us one of the best suites in the entire resort. I highly recommend Pueblo Bonito.

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
We own there and have been to this resort many times- last was January.

Skip the AI, way overpriced with average quality. Even if you eat at the resort and buy some pool beverages you are better off paying as you go. When you arrive they will first offer you $200-300 in resort credit for taking a tour at check in but if you say no gracias twice they will raise it to $400 once you leave the check in area. Tour is not bad but please don't buy as rescinding will destroy your vacation.

We walk 3-6 miles a day in Cabo and you can't walk from the resort to town as the access road is over a mile up hill to the road then 2 more miles to the west side of town on a road with no sidewalks. The better option is the free shuttle bus to Rose every hour. Get you tickets the day before to assure seats on the first bus out which is 10:00am normally but they may have a 9:00 in the summer months. You can not bring groceries or luggage on the bus (taxi union laws) but no problem if you tuck something discreetly into your beach bag or daypack. From Rose you can walk anywhere. Get your return ticket for the shuttle from Rose. The PBS car park is near the lobby which will likely be a long distance from your room. Consider ditching the car entirely and take a daily rental from PBS if you plan on having a day in Todo Santos etc. We travel by bus around town and even to San Jose as the taxis are some of the most expensive in the world. PM me for bus details if you have questions.

Internet in the rooms for the $10-15/day (negotiable) fee is a rip off for the quality of service. The alternative is to walk (or cart) up to the Sunrise cafe (now called the gourmet food emporium or similar) buy a snack or bottle of water and get the free with purchase daily code for internet access for the day that only connects when near the cafe. (often other guests who are cheesed off at this new fee and will give you the daily code if you ask). This new food hall is very nice with a chocolate counter, coffee, sandwiches etc and is a great alternative to formally dinning at their restaurants.

PBS is a beautiful resort with a great non swimable beach but you do have room charging privileges at Rose which has a swimable beach- best of both worlds

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Great info. Thanks! If you do not rent a car, how expensive is it for SDJ airport transportation?

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Thanks everyone for the input (so far).

We won't be attending any presentations. We've done a couple over the years, but DW would rather walk barefoot across a bed of hot coals than waste any precious vacation time with the sharks. She's a teacher, so if the first couple of no's don't work, she uses "the voice" on them. Worked great at Grand Mayan last time; after the first encounter the "pimp" at the front entrance was so much nicer to us for the rest of the visit. Seems she can even make Mexicans feel they are 12 again with just a tone of voice (personally HATE it when she does that to me).

I agree the suggested google maps route to town is not really walkable. If you look on GMaps and plan a route from Playa Pedregal (just down from the resort) instead of PBSB to town it goes around the other side of the hill, is half the distance, and half the vertical rise. As I said, I just can't see if there is a public beach access so we can actually get to the road. It is mostly big homes along that stretch of beach.

We might take the bus once or twice, but we see ourselves either walking to town, or driving over to SJdC which we preferred to CSL last trip. We will be there on March break, so don't really want to spend too much time in the bustle. I'll probably do another X-rail adventure in the desert too - that was one of the best times ever! The car also makes grocery getting easier as well. Actually got a pretty good deal on a small SUV for this trip. Last time I wasn't paying attention to car sizes and reserved a "standard" car which turned out to be a Nissan March (Micra) which was so small and choppy DW kept feeling car sick. I was comfortable driving last time, don't foresee it being an issue with a real sized vehicle.

We are booked in a 1BR (6/4) which I think equates to a Junior Suite in their parlance.

Question 4. Does anyone know if there is a blender in the kitchen? They list a citrus juicer, so I am halfway to decent margaritas, but a blender makes it that much easier.

Moseying over to the FB group now to see what else I can find out. Extra props for that tip @whitewater, thanks!

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great info. Thanks! If you do not rent a car, how expensive is it for SDJ airport transportation?
$40/person r/t using http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Airport-Shuttle.htm
$44/person r/t using Cape travel http://www.cape-transfers.com/
$38/person r/t using http://www.funloscabos.com

You can also make a 24hr car rental with pickup at the airport and drop at the resort(check with resort to see who their inhouse car rental agency is) or in central Cabo across from the mall. Be aware that there are usually hidden insurance fees not included in the online quoted rental rate. Net rental rate should be 35-40USD/day but that way you can pick up groceries upon arrival and the following morning before dumping the car in town (PB Rose bus return) or at the resort.

Last edited:

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question 4. Does anyone know if there is a blender in the kitchen? They list a citrus juicer, so I am halfway to decent margaritas, but a blender makes it that much easier.

Yes, blender in every room.
1 bedroom has separate bedroom/bath sleeps 4 (two privately- two on the hida bed)
jr suites sleeps 2/4 depending if 1 king or two queen beds in the one room.