• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Payments throughout year on Maintenance Fees vs Annual

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken: You know that your AMEX SPG card 4 points per $ are Marriott points which when divided by 3 are really only 1.25 SPG equivalent.
Get the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and receive 3 UR points which are cash valued at $0.015 = 4.5%
I still cant figure out why anyone would use a current Marriott or SPG card......

Thought I posted this earlier... I’m able to get 2% or greater with Marriott points based on cc spend, so while it’s not as good as it was it’s still not horrible (and four points per $ is even better). No point in discussing the SPG to Marriott conversion ratio any longer since it’s not relevant...those days are gone.

I’ve also been planning on getting the CSR, I just haven’t had time to deal with a change. I need to review all my credit cards and likely make a few changes.

Also, it’s worth noting that the CSR only earns a single point on non travel non restaurant purchases. That’s just 1.5% on those expenses.

FWIW, I told a friend recently to get it since his company advertises on social media and Chase is offering 3x points per $ spent on social media advertising (up to 150k per year) and a signup bonus of 80,000. When you have both the Ink business and the SR card all points can be redeemed at the higher 1.5% (the business Ink card only offers 1.25% by itself, so having both cards is key).

In all fairness, and not to change the topic, but I’ve read multiple reports that the effective rate of the Chase UR program is likely less than we think, since not all hotels or other providers are listed at the same price as can be found independently. As expected, it has its own tricks and benefits that we need to learn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get good value out of the SPG card, because I stay a lot at European hotels. I'd likely stay where I do paying cash anyway, so using Marriott Rewards points, soon to be Bonvoy, gives me a good return. I use my Costco card at US restaurants, because they give 3% cash back.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I get good value out of the SPG card, because I stay a lot at European hotels. I'd likely stay where I do paying cash anyway, so using Marriott Rewards points, soon to be Bonvoy, gives me a good return. I use my Costco card at US restaurants, because they give 3% cash back.

I also get good value out of the SPG Amex.

I've learned it doesn't make sense to argue which card provides the best value because there is no card which fits everyone. The Chase Sapphire provides 4.5% in equivalent cash for travel reservations. However, at expensive resorts I've received 5% - 7% of value from redeeming Marriott/Starwood points. It depends on how one uses the points currency each card provides.

For me, the SPG Amex is still a primary card with the Chase Sapphire also used.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
... there is no card which fits everyone.

Yes, I agree. The value of SPG/Marriott points depends a lot on where you use them. US properties typically don't provide that much value, but other regions are pretty good. The value also depends on what your lodging preferences are. If you would never pay the rates of the nicer properties, then you have to compare the value of points to what your typical expenditure for a room is. That could bring the value of points way down. On the other hand, you could stay quite a while at some cheaper properties, so that improves the value. The long available 5th night free also improves the value.