• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

paying to advertise

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
If you were going to try to advertise your timeshare for sale somewhere else, where would you try?

I noticed Red Week makes you join to reply to a for sale ad.

It doesn't appear that My Resort Network does but I didn't go all the way through the process.

I see both of these charge to place for sale ads.

Just wondering which place works best for you if you've ever bought or sold on either site.

I have listed on Craig's List but haven't considered eBay yet.

Thanks for any help.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
TUG Timeshare Marketplace - http://tug2.com/timesharemarketplace/
1 year Membership - $15
Ads - free up to 25

www.craigslist.org (free)

www.redweek.com
Membership - $14.99 for 12 months
Timeshare Rental Ads - $24.99/ea for 6 Months
Timeshare Resale Ads - $59.99/ea for 12 Months

Personally, I think the fees are too high, and the prices the lowest, on ebay.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, you could consider TUG. Or maybe the bulletin board at the supermarket. Or at the resort itself- people are always looking for additional weeks, 'cause one just isn't enough vacation for most folks.

All the above have been reported here as working.

Jim

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My $0.02 worth...

If you were going to try to advertise your timeshare for sale somewhere else, where would you try?

I noticed Red Week makes you join to reply to a for sale ad.

It doesn't appear that My Resort Network does but I didn't go all the way through the process.

I see both of these charge to place for sale ads.

Just wondering which place works best for you if you've ever bought or sold on either site.

I have listed on Craig's List but haven't considered eBay yet.

Thanks for any help.

1. Forget eBay (...as a seller) imho. These days it's mostly just a timeshare dumping ground and it's probably not worth your bother to pay money just to get your ad buried among 1,000 or so other "giveaways".

2. The resale market just plain stinks in general these days (...for sellers, anyhow), but based upon my own prior (i.e., pre-2008 crash) experiences, I personally like the RedWeek membership requirement. It cuts way down on the spammers, scammers and tire tickers and I succeeded (in those better times) in selling off a few weeks there.

3. On MyResortNetwork (...again, in prior years) I found more volume in ad response, but generally less quality / sincerity in the responses within that higher volume. Lots of clueless questions and low ball offers and offers to "trade", but in the end very little in the way of actual productive results (I'm not saying "nothing at all", just "less bang for my buck" than on RedWeek).

4. Many people who are active sellers and renters (I am neither one) seem to swear by Craigslist, but I'm certainly not one of them. I guess I just have too little patience for scammers, spammers, semi-literate Nigerian princes, etc. YMMV. :shrug:

5. TUG is a great place for BBS discussion and info, but it has rarely produced ad results (for me, anyhow). Then again, it dosn't cost anything to place an ad as a TUG member, so what's the harm in trying?

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If this is your Lehigh Acres week, and if day use is feature of ownership there, Id advertise in the local area... There are lots of homes that were built in Lehigh without pools, In the heat of summer, having a pool that the kids can go to, might be nice

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all

I appreciate you taking the time to help out.

I have 2 units advertised in the classifieds here on TUG. I have one of them in the bargain deals forum.

I have them both on Craigs List in their respective cities. I got some help from some Tuggers who were successful on CL and have finally been able to keep my ads up without being flagged.

My thinking is that people who are looking to acquire a TS will look on eBay, here, red week, my resort network and everywhere else. Because you see ads for Red Week on a lot of vaca sites I thought maybe more people would be looking there.

But again, once someone decides to buy, they should find this site.

I wouldn't mind paying to list on the other sites but I'm not seeing any testimonies for them yet (in today's market).

My HOA in Lehigh has many summer weeks they are trying to give away and have been offering them to us other owners for over a year so they won't be much help.

I put the day use of the pool in my CL ad in Florida but I may look into an ad in a local newspaper there, thanks Ron.

I came to TUG a few times over the last few years but while in my NC unit last month we decided we need to get rid of a couple of our TSs. I started to look at ads to see what was out there and how people promoted their properties. I still didn't know about the forums but saw an ad in the classified for a 2 Br unit at Silverwoods at Treasure Lakes.

We had stayed there last spring and got an exchange for a friend during the summer. This ad was for a summer week and is only 2 plus hours from home. Two golf courses, three lakes, indoor and out door pools, nice residential community.

I loved the fact that we could contact the owner without having to join. I called the owners, called my daughter and her hubby and they now own the TS.

Oh oh, we acquired one instead of getting rid of one. I then joined Tug when we got home, I put two units on the bargain deals and had one claimed the next day. The title work took less than a month, thank you Denise.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"I guess I just have too little patience for scammers, spammers, semi-literate Nigerian princes, etc. YMMV."

Thanks Theo, for your help.

I use CL quite a bit for selling household items and furniture. Found my Boston Whaler last year and drove to Kansas to get it. Just today, I sold some plastic wine glasses left over from my daughter's wedding.

I've found it easier and easier to spot the scammers the more I use it. Some were very obvious, "I'll send you a check and have my agent pick it up."

The new trend is to copy and past a few words from my ads and put a question mark after it. They get no responses and never had one write back.

I have also noticed that the stranger ones are sent from one email address and you reply to another. Those get no responses either.

Maybe these hints on scammers will help someone else.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much "Sell my Timeshare Now" charges to advertise? I can't find it on their site.

I dont see the price either, but there are 25 for sale in Lehigh. form $100...There is a week 2 (in season for just $200)...So unless their your price is less than wahts already advertised there, I think buying an ad may be a waste of time

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
I SOLD MY WEEK Through Craigslist

I found the scammer emails easy to spot

I almost blew off the response from the the eventual buyer though

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Does anyone know how much "Sell my Timeshare Now" charges to advertise? I can't find it on their site.

A couple of years ago I heard it was in the $499-$699 range. I think you have to call so they can convince you that it will be worth it because they get a lot of traffic.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I SOLD MY WEEK Through Craigslist

I found the scammer emails easy to spot

I almost blew off the response from the the eventual buyer though

Ho boy, you don't want that to happen. I do have my ads on Craig's, thanks.

I dont see the price either, but there are 25 for sale in Lehigh. form $100...There is a week 2 (in season for just $200)...So unless their your price is less than wahts already advertised there, I think buying an ad may be a waste of time

Hi Ron, mine is free plus so we'll wait and see. Thank you.

A couple of years ago I heard it was in the $499-$699 range. I think you have to call so they can convince you that it will be worth it because they get a lot of traffic.

I thought it would be high because you can't find the price without giving them your contact info, thanks.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
as one broker recently explained to me

you have two options with them now, one being the upfront fee (ie for timeshares with little or no value)

the other is with their legitimate broker service, which charges a comission after the sale (higher than the upfront fee of course)....this is the option for those with timeshares that still have value.

and thus explains why you need to provide your info upfront =)

of course I cannot confirm or deny any of this even with EXTENSIVE searching of their website...but im sure someone will come along to clear it up if the above is incorrect.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Brian, I'm thinking that this is still the best site to use. If I found it, most others will be able to also.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Thanks Brian, I'm thinking that this is still the best site to use. If I found it, most others will be able to also.

Are you saying that Sell My Timeshare Now is the best site to use or TUG????
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist are the best places and I'd use all 3 - maximizing traffic is critical.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah, yes

Are you saying that Sell My Timeshare Now is the best site to use or TUG????
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

TUG, Redweek, and Craigslist are the best places and I'd use all 3 - maximizing traffic is critical.

I did mean that I think TUG is the best because:

It's only $15 to become a member to advertise 25 different ads.

You don't have to be a member to respond to a members classified ad.

There's so much help here it's unbelievable.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Advertising

You have hit the best two. Redweek.com and myresortnetwork.com get the most action. Tug ads are not bad, lot slower than the other two.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You have hit the best two. Redweek.com and myresortnetwork.com get the most action. Tug ads are not bad, lot slower than the other two.

Thank you. I just paid to join RedWeek. I didn't sign up right away and they said if I pay the $15 to join they'd give me a $25 gift certificate through Restaurant.com.

I'll be getting an ad together to put on there also.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Timesharing Today is a good place, but their ads are very expensive. I have advertised very successfully there for some weeks, while others received no response whatsoever. The cheaper the week, the more likely you will get a taker.

Where you want to appeal is to the other owners at your resort(s), who are happy.

Go to your resort, stay there however you can get in, and then talk up your week at the hot tub or pool. Others have reported success at giving away weeks, but if you talk money, people shut down. Seriously, they do.

To keep the transfer as cheap as possible, use Lisa Short for the closing. readylegal@gmail.com The closing should be less than $150. She is fast and accurate.

I have given away two weeks using the local Mexican restaurant's bulletin board, believe it or not. I am talking 1 mile from my house. I was advertising Colorado mountain weeks, so that helped, since we live in Colorado.

Good luck to you! :)

channimal

TUG Member
Reaction score
as an active buyer .. craigslist is frustrating since a TS seller can be anywhere (across all of the city sites) .. and unless I'm doing something incredibly wrong and am missing some sort of "all city/state search" I don't have the patience to go to each city page and do a search.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Timesharing Today is a good place, but their ads are very expensive. I have advertised very successfully there for some weeks, while others received no response whatsoever. The cheaper the week, the more likely you will get a taker.

Where you want to appeal is to the other owners at your resort(s), who are happy.

Go to your resort, stay there however you can get in, and then talk up your week at the hot tub or pool. Others have reported success at giving away weeks, but if you talk money, people shut down. Seriously, they do.

To keep the transfer as cheap as possible, use Lisa Short for the closing. readylegal@gmail.com The closing should be less than $150. She is fast and accurate.

I have given away two weeks using the local Mexican restaurant's bulletin board, believe it or not. I am talking 1 mile from my house. I was advertising Colorado mountain weeks, so that helped, since we live in Colorado.

Good luck to you! :)

Thanks for the tips. I used Lisa and Mary to transfer my Thunder Mountain TS in Steamboat Springs to another Tugger. He paid the transfer costs but I seem to remember they would be under $150, and it took less than a month from start to finish.

I was going to go to my Lehigh Resort Club unit this August but something came up and I banked it with DAE. If I still own it next year I will go and do as you suggest. Thanks.

as an active buyer .. craigslist is frustrating since a TS seller can be anywhere (across all of the city sites) .. and unless I'm doing something incredibly wrong and am missing some sort of "all city/state search" I don't have the patience to go to each city page and do a search.

It was suggested to me to list my TS in the city it's located in. More than one successful CL seller told this to me. So if you want a unit in say, Lehigh Acres Fl, you would look in the Ft. Myers Craig's List.

I found my Boston Whaler in Kansas using searches like these:

http://www.searchtempest.com/

http://www.adhuntr.com/

http://www.spific.com/search-craigslist-results

The second two are new or revamped. I did use the first one and the other one that I used I can't find right now.

You should be able to find a nice cheap one in Lehigh Acres when you do your search :D Even though I can't find it searching for "timeshare" in the Ft. Myers CL. Now I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You should only look in the region where the TS is located - 90% of the Ads will be there - not the owners home town.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
" Even though I can't find it searching for "timeshare" in the Ft. Myers CL. Now I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong."

I found it, I was doing a search in "for sale" and since I have it in the real estate, that's where I should have put the search.

Many TSs are listed in "for sale, general" and in those cases a search of "for sale" will work.

So search in both categories to find them all.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned