• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Passport expires 5 months from return date (2014)

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Hello,
I haven't traveled to Mexico in a long time and was wondering if there is some rule about traveling to Mexico with a passport that expires in 5 months after returning. I read somewhere on USA Today that different countries have different rules but couldn't find anything on Mexico.

Has anyone run into any problems with this or with the airlines?

Thanks for any info you can share. I checked the sticky messages but couldn't find a thread on this subject.

Thanks again for any insight and guidance......

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Found this by googling. It's on the travel.state.gov website:

PASSPORT VALIDITY:

Six months

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is up to the airline taking you to Mexico. An entry visa when you arrive is good for 6 months. As it was explained to me, the airline couldn't be responsible for my passport expiring before the tourist visa.

Bottom line, it is up to the airline/cruise ship or how you are getting there. Added: I just checked Star Alliance, USAir/AA and their official stance is 'Passenger must hold a valid passport'.

Jim

If it was me, I'd just go ahead and renew it.

Last edited:

petertdavis

Reaction score
I'm not sure your exact timeline here, but if I understand correctly you have a valid passport in hand, you have a trip to Mexico planned, and your passport's expiration date is five months after you get back. I'd plan on renewing it shortly after your return.

When you renew your passport, you do have to send your old one in with the renewal, so if your trip is in the near future I would not recommend risking that you don't get the new one back before your date of departure.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have enough papers left in your passport ?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you have time to renew before you go on your trip, I'd suggest doing it now rather than take a chance.

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think Mexico requires 6 months left on your passport. We went to Cabos in Christmas, 2013 and our passports expire in May, 2014. I didn't realize that some countries wouldn't let you in if your passport expired within 6 months until my wife's cousin was not allowed into Ecuador for that reason shortly before we were scheduled to leave for Mexico.

I called up the Mexican consulate in NYC and the Mexican embassy in Washington DC and they both told me that Mexico only required the passport be valid on entry.

We also had a second trip to Belize scheduled in February 2014. We were scheduled to return to the US about 97 days before our passports expired. I called the Belize embassy and was told there would be no problem (I see the State Dept. says 6 months for Belize also).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I don't think Mexico requires 6 months left on your passport.

Maybe your experience doesn't support this, but it is what the government site says.

I suggest the OP do more checking, or just go ahead and renew the passport now.

PStreet1

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question was not about the government and what they require or allow. It was about whether the airline would or would not board a passenger whose passport would expire less than 6 months from return from Mexico. The OP hasn't mentioned which airline s/he is flying. Personally, from looking at US State Dept, and Mexican Immigration, it doesn't APPEAR that there should be a problem. But if some gate attendant denies boarding, it's good to have the airline and the involved governments' official opinion handy and printed out to show a supervisor.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Definitely, it's important to check, but it's highly unlikely the requirements for the U.S. are different from the ones for Canada, and that post has been given. Since Canadians need only have a passport valid at the time of entry, I feel sure it's the same for the U.S.

I found this link: http://guadalajara.usconsulate.gov/information/entry-requirements-for-mexico.html

Whatever. It's up to the OP as to how much of a chance they want to take. Personally, I'm not much of a gambler, especially when it comes to getting back home. :)

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
Thank you so much for the feedback. I just back online and see some really good info. I went to the .gov website and it's horrible. Under quick references I see that it shows 6 months.

The other thing that I don't like is giving up my passport to renew when we are leaving for Mexico in June and now it's March. My biggest concern was the airlines but I haven't found anything on United's website about not letting some travel to Mexico with a valid passport that expires 5 months after returning to the states. Renewing is such a hassle. Seems like I should have planned a year in advance to renew.

Anyway, BIG THANK YOU for the feedback and suggestions!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It really only takes a couple or 3 weeks to renew your passport. You have plenty of time without paying for expedited service.

Jim

Pizza67

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just renewed my passport, as in mailed it off Feb 3 and got it last week. Appx 4 weeks. If you go online, fill out the form, print it and send it off soon, you should have plenty of time for a June trip. Of course, if you've already supplied your passport number to the airline, be aware that it will be different when you check-in. I doubt that it will be an issue though.

Dave

lawduck

TUG Member
Reaction score
I flew to Mexico in December (on Alaska Air) and my passport expires in April (less than 4 months from travel dates). I had no problem getting into or returning from Mexico.

moonlightgraham

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had this same situation last year traveling to Cancun. We were scheduled to travel in November and our 6yr old daughter's passport was expiring in February (two months later). Since passport renewal for a child is more involved than an adult renewal, and valid for just 5yrs I really didn't want to renew until absolutely necessary. I checked with the Mexican Consulate here in Atlanta and they said all that is required is a valid passport. We traveled with her existing passport and never had the first comment or question about it's upcoming expiration arise during our trip.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I know I've already posted. But, if it was me, and if I had time to renew my passport ahead of time, that's what I'd do. That way there is NO question.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question about much time be left until a passport expires. At least 6 months? My son wasn't planning to come with us in 2 weeks, but something came up and there's a possibility he could go. However his passport expires in mid January 2019, about 2 months after our travel dates Nov 9-16.

I've checked several online sites, including state travel one and our airline, and seen conflicting info. I think the state department one says just a valid passport is required, and our airline, Southwest, doesn't sound to have 6 month expiration requirement from what I can tell online. But perhaps I'm mis-interpreting it. They post for to be exempt for a destination visa, "Nationals of USA with a normal passport for a maximum stay of 180 days".

So would appreciate it very much, if anyone has any recent experience traveling to mexico with a passport expiring within 6 months.

TIA!

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
I personally dont understand it, but we are taking a cruise during thanksgiving and our passports expired 5 1/2 months later. We were told we would need new passports to board the ship.

We did it, but it doesn't make any sense.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! This thread is four (4) years old. If in doubt, be safe renew your passport. You can submit the necessary paperwork to the State Department and have your passport back in your possession in under (4) weeks.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I personally dont understand it, but we are taking a cruise during thanksgiving and our passports expired 5 1/2 months later. We were told we would need new passports to board the ship.

We did it, but it doesn't make any sense.

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, my son decided not to go with us after all, since airfare is pretty high now for our flights.

I think as I understand it, Mexico allows a visitor to stay up to 180 days (~6 months) without a special visa or one of those quick forms ones you get at the airport. So US or Mexico? immigration, wants visitor to have a valid unexpired passport upon their return to the states. Maybe cause they don't want visitors from becoming unintended resident aliens ;)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
This Summer, I returned from Spain with 6 mos + 3 days left. :banana:
Timing is everything. But now I need a new one for February. :eek: