• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parking Ticket in Lahaina Maui

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me begin by saying I should have done my research....

I received a $60 parking ticket in Lahaina Maui for parking in the Prison Street lot which is a large parking lot with 3 hour free parking.

BE WARNED it is a trap for tourists.

I parked 3 cars down from the end of the row in a space and all the spaces were full with other cars. At the end of the row was one sign which said Bus Parking Only. It was in the evening and all the spaces were occupied with cars. The Bus Parking area was not marked. Every car got the $60 ticket.

I looked at the ticket fine schedule and ALL the violations, including parking in an intersection, were $35. Only the Prison Street lot had $60 fines for Overtime and Bus violations.

I googled the lot and yup there were multiple links to blogs that said this was a trap for Bus Parking and Overtime.

Parking in Lahaina has become more and more limited over the years as they have marked with stripes most street parking and the paid lots have become more obvious.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We take the shuttle

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Seems like there is a joke in there about how Prison Street got its name...

In all seriousness, sorry to hear about the ticket. At least $60 isn't too bad in the grand scheme of vacation expenses. This past January, I left an misrepresented Airbnb on the Big Island immediately after arrival and booked a new $2,000 reservation without knowing if I'd get my money back for the first one. Vacations are too expensive and too fleeting to sweat the small stuff. (In the end, I did get a refund).

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes a Uber or taxi pretty cheap doesn't it?

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island

I received a $60 parking ticket in Lahaina Maui for parking in the Prison Street lot which is a large parking lot with 3 hour free parking.

I parked 3 cars down from the end of the row in a space and all the spaces were full with other cars. At the end of the row was one sign which said Bus Parking Only. It was in the evening and all the spaces were occupied with cars. The Bus Parking area was not marked. Every car got the $60 ticket.

I looked at the ticket fine schedule and ALL the violations, including parking in an intersection, were $35. Only the Prison Street lot had $60 fines for Overtime and Bus violations.

I googled the lot and yup there were multiple links to blogs that said this was a trap for Bus Parking and Overtime.

Parking in Lahaina has become more and more limited over the years as they have marked with stripes most street parking and the paid lots have become more obvious.

I have been tempted to park in the same spots in this lot but have resisted! The fact other cars were parked there must have put you at ease and if I had seen that I probably would have also.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pay parking in Lahaina is insane ... I think I paid $14 for two hours to have lunch at Paia Fish Market last month.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score

Great info. Thank you for sharing. We'll be staying in Lahaina for the first time next year. I will add this to my trip notes.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Is it a real ticket from a government agency or a fake ticket from a private lot?

EDIT: I found it:
10.76.050 Lahaina Prison Street parking lot.

A. Within the County parking lot located between Prison Street, Front Street and Luakini Street, Lahaina, a maximum of fourteen bus parking stalls identified by pavement markings or signs shall be provided. No vehicle other than a bus shall be parked in the bus parking stalls between the hours of eight a.m. and ten p.m. each day.

B. Within the County parking lot located between Prison Street, Front Street and Luakini Street, Lahaina, no vehicle shall park for more than three hours at a time.

C. No bus or other vehicle shall park within the County parking lot at the intersection of Front Street and Prison Street, Lahaina, between the hours of two a.m. and four a.m.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
The pay parking in Lahaina is insane ... I think I paid $14 for two hours to have lunch at Paia Fish Market last month.
?? But Paia Fish market is an easy 2-block walk from the free parking lot.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
The lot on Prison street is free for 3 hours.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Also, don't stay over 3 hours - don't park there if you have a long excursion out of the docks.

I've parked in the Prison St. lot many times without getting a ticket. Usually the bus spots are empty. It has not occurred to me to park where it says you shouldn't.

A fellow traveler did get a ticket once parking at the Paia Fish Market, right by the establishment. He thought he was outside the paid lot next door and the parking was for the Fish Market. The people at the Fish Market said the ticket wasn't from a government organization and couldn't be enforced. My friend didn't pay it and nothing more came of it. This was a few years ago.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Also, don't stay over 3 hours - don't park there if you have a long excursion out of the docks.

I've parked in the Prison St. lot many times without getting a ticket. Usually the bus spots are empty. It has not occurred to me to park where it says you shouldn't.

A fellow traveler did get a ticket once parking at the Paia Fish Market, right by the establishment. He thought he was outside the paid lot next door and the parking was for the Fish Market. The people at the Fish Market said the ticket wasn't from a government organization and couldn't be enforced. My friend didn't pay it and nothing more came of it. This was a few years ago.

I never thought about that ... those pay lots are probably privately owned.

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
Get there early to get a space in the Prison Street lot. In all the times we have parked there, I have never seen anybody writing out tickets. But we are usually there in Sept./Oct.