• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paris Tours

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Paris for the first time in May. We will be staying in Montmartre (hotel, not timeshare). I am wondering if anyone has done any tours that they could recommend. I have briefly checked Trip Advisor, but I always like to check with my TUG experts first!

Thanks!

Dori

Tamino

Reaction score
There is no shortage of tour options in Paris which is why your question is very difficult to answer. To see the highlights of Paris, you do not need a tour. Simply organize the places you want to visit geographically and move through your list.

It would be possible to assist even more if you could outline how long you will be in Paris, how many people are traveling together, what it is you want to see, and your general interest in the city.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
On our first Paris visit, on the day of arrival, we climbed on a hop-on hop-off bus. There are several to choose from. You just ride around, and orient yourself. You can get off, check out a place, and another bus will pick you up and the tour continues. This allows you to decide what attractions you want to return to, and you can group them in your mind which can make a good day's outing. If you are going to be there several days, pick up a guidebook, like Rick Steve's or Lonely Planet. They'll have 'Paris in 3 days', or 'Paris in 2 days' chapters as well. We found Paris very do-able independently.

Jim

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Our first time in Paris we did a HoHo tour for day #1. It was a great way to get a sense of the city. On our last visit there, we booked a private transfer from CDG and the ride to our hotel in the Latin Quarter took us past many sights.

Definitely take a River Seine cruise- evening preferred so as to see the Eiffel Tower lit up.

Re: the Eiffel tower- we pre-booked tickets to the top which become available for sale @3 months out. We still needed to go through lines and waits. Unfortunately it was a gray twilight when we reached the top and the Champagne Bar was closed, so our visit there was underwhelming. However, gazing up from the ground level is amazing.

My favorite viewpoint was from the top of the Pantheon, but IDK if guided tours are still offered there. Other viewpoints are from Sacre Coeur and Tour Montparnasse.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When we were in Paris several years ago we simply identified the sites we wanted to see. Then we mapped them out on an Underground Map. Take Underground as close as possible and then walk. You can buy packets of 10 tickets at local Tobacco Shops.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions! We are staying right near the Moulin Rouge and I understand there is a subway metro stop very close by.

Our kids gave us this trip as a Birthday/Christmas gift. We are flying through Iceland, but no time to look around there before heading to Paris.

Dori

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Like others, I always recommend the HoHo the first day in any city. After that, pick the type of things you enjoy.

Just one suggestion that is often overlooked is the Cluny Museum with the Unicorn Tapestries.

Versailles is a short train ride and definitely worth a day trip.

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
A must is the River Seine Cruise, The Effel Tower, and The Louvre Museums.
We just enjoy strolling the city streets and their many small shopping shops and cafes. Also, there are some huge shopping stores. Please do not wear tennis shoes then they will know you are an American tourist.
That is my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Tamino

Reaction score
I can assure you that no matter what shoes you have on, there will be no doubt about your being American tourists. Loud voices (particularly in restaurants), sport style sun glasses, baseball hats, t shirts with various US sports team or school logos, over tipping, men wearing shorts, khakis, golf shirts; put it all together and it screams US tourist.

However, no one will really care and you want to be sure your feet are comfortable.

I´m not a big fan of the HOHO buses, at least not for Paris. They are very expensive and not a particularly efficient way to travel the city. However, the river cruises can give you a great overview as many of the most important sites are located along the river. I prefer Vedette du Pont Neuf and you can pickup reduced price tickets on their website.

The Bateaux Mouches depart from near the Eiffel Tower. Their boats are bigger but their larger size allows people to thoughtlessly stand in front of you, blocking your view, a situation which I find most annoying.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Remember male Parisians tend to wear scarfs even during the summer.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you are in Montemartre don't forget to spend some leisurely time people watching at an outdoor cafe.

Musée d'Orsay across the river from the Louvre in the converted train station was a gem. I appreciated it more than the Louvre because it was not so overwhelming. It also contains priceless art. You can download a free Rick Steves audio to your phone to interpret as you walk through.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of the HOHO buses, at least not for Paris. They are very expensive and not a particularly efficient way to travel the city. However, the river cruises can give you a great overview as many of the most important sites are located along the river. I prefer Vedette du Pont Neuf and you can pickup reduced price tickets on their website.
All the recomendations for using HoHo buses or boats have been for orientation only. Not as a substitute for Metro or taxi. And, yes, you can spot an American tourist darn near every time. Once in a while a local will address me in the local language. I just smile and tell them English, merci. Except in Asia. Somehow they can ALWAYS tell.

Jim

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I’ve often been mistaken for a “local” in various European countries. In France, my usual first response is the typical Gallic shrug:cool:

Cheers

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
During our last trip to Paris a Frenchman but not Parisian stopped us and asked for directions. Yes I was weaaring a scarf. In my horrible French I said we did not speak French. He switched to to passable English and said he agreed I did not speak French. Unfortuntely we did not know the restaurant he was trying to find.

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some years back on our first visit to Paris we hired an American expat named Michael for a day tour of the city. It was a wonderful day of exploring places we would never have known about on our own. He has an art background and walking through the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay with him telling the stories behind the paintings really brought them to life. It is a bare bones tour where you ride by bus and pay your own way into the sights but was a very memorable day and a great introduction to the city. His website was called Parisfind. Enjoy what has become our favorite city.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s what I do the first day. Hire a local for a private walking tour to get oriented. Worth every expensive dime it costs. Find someone recommended on Trip Advisor. Or Tours by Locals.

Tamino

Reaction score
Viatour, which is owned by Trip Advisor, doesn´t do tours themselves. They are simply a reseller which takes a fee for connecting you to a tour operator. Actually, there is no need to pay at all for a tour by a Parisian; just sign up with Paris Greeters and enjoy a free tour with one of their volunteers.

Another walking tour operation with very modest fees is Paris Walks which has a enormous selection of topics and walk options.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
The link below would be very useful to you if you are planning to use the metro or bus in Paris. It explains the tickets, or if you are there from a Monday-Sunday a Navigo Découverte pass is a good idea.

https://parisbytrain.com/paris-metro/#route-planner

As much as possible I suggest taking the bus, as you can then get to see parts of Paris while travelling to your location.

I would not consider a tour. It is very easy to get around Paris, and most sites can be reached by walking, except of course Palais de Versailles.
The first time we visited Paris, we scheduled 2 locations to visit a day. That gave us plenty of time to look around during the day, stop for lunch, or a drink at their numerous sidewalk cafés.

Last edited:

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your excellent advice! We are getting excited to start planning in earnest.

Dori

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit on the frugal side with my trips so I might only do one pre-planned tour.

We did the Fat Tire Bike Tour by night. Loved it. I would do them all if given the choice. A Seine River tour (with wine) was included in the evening Fat Tire bike tour (which was 13 Euro normally) so that was an added bonus.
https://www.fattiretours.com/paris

We also did a tour of French Parliament (law student son insisted.) It was in French but they did give us headsets with English (and plenty of dirty looks to go along with it.) Free

We went to the Louvre (tripped up the stairs which is totally me.) You just have to be really cautious there especially around the Mona Lisa. (Free admission on the first Sunday of the month.) And we went to the D'orsay.

And we walked up the Eiffel Tower. The line is shorter than for the elevator but it is a commitment.

We also took the Metro to the Sacre Coeur (highest point in Paris) to watch the sunset over Paris. (We were grabbed by 2 Nigerians and they tied strings to our wrists and wouldn't let us go until we tipped them for the cords.) Also, after sunset we went back to the Metro station which is the Moulin Rouge (and we couldn't get out of there fast enough.)

And we make it a point to eat here:
http://www.restaurantlacitrouille.fr/en/

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Viatour, which is owned by Trip Advisor, doesn´t do tours themselves. They are simply a reseller which takes a fee for connecting you to a tour operator. Actually, there is no need to pay at all for a tour by a Parisian; just sign up with Paris Greeters and enjoy a free tour with one of their volunteers.

Another walking tour operation with very modest fees is Paris Walks which has a enormous selection of topics and walk options.

I signed us up with Paris Walks for a free tour from Pont Neuf metro station, from the Seine to Luxembourg garden.The walk goes through old streets and Saint-Germaine-des-Pres area.

Does this sound like a good tour?
Any ideas on what to offer as a tip at the end of the tour?

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tamino, the tour is free. I am just wondering what an appropriate tip would be, based on the experience of others.