• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parents Warn About Electric Shock Drowning After 15-Year-Old Daughter Tragicallv Dies

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Before I opened the article, I was already thinking boat dock. It's a big deal if you have a boat dock, and swim around it, which I have been all afternoon. There's been similar incidences at Lake of the Ozarks.

Wasn't there one at Orange Lake, or some Orlando resort, a few years back?

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Orange lake had it happen at the mini put golf by River Island

The little ponds have since been filled in

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
It didn't specify in the article, but were these circuits not on a GFI circuit breaker? Wouldn't that have prevented the tragedy? Sounds like some DIY electrical work could have been the cause. I guess an equipment malfunction could have been the cause, but how often does that happen? GFI breakers are pretty rock solid, I thought.

Kurt

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Thanks for posting this important warning, Richard. What a terrible set of circumstances. The danger of being in the water near docks or boats would never have occurred to me either. I would have thought the larger body of water would have dissipated the current except right by the source, not up to 10 feet away.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time I play mini golf I’m reminded of a story of a child that went to retrieve his ball from one of the water obstacles and died due to shock. Tragic

cowboy

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder why the father didn't get shocked when he put the ladder into the water?

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
It didn't specify in the article, but were these circuits not on a GFI circuit breaker? Wouldn't that have prevented the tragedy? Sounds like some DIY electrical work could have been the cause. I guess an equipment malfunction could have been the cause, but how often does that happen? GFI breakers are pretty rock solid, I thought.

Kurt

Such a tragic story. DH is an electrician so I just read it to him. His short answer (without having full details) is that a correctly-installed GFCI on the circuit most likely would have prevented this because, essentially, the GFCI would have cut the power to the circuit immediately and automatically, something his wife had to do manually to remedy the problem.

He also said, though, that GFCIs don't do any good if they are bypssed and that sometimes people bypass their GFCI protected circuits without thinking about it by running extension cords from circuits not protected by a GFCI. National Electrical Code requires outdoor circuits to be GFCI but since they may not get used that often, people will sometimes go to plug something in and find that the outlet doesn't seem to be working - because it is tripped (for a reason). But thinking it is a "dead" outlet, people may run an extension cord out the window to do what they were going to do. Or they do so because they don't have any outdoor outlets. Many indoor circuits are not GFCI - bathrooms, kitchens, and utility rooms are required to be; living rooms, bedrooms, and such are not.

So sad.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have a GFCI circuit that powers outdoor outlets and bathrooms.
The breaker seems to flip whenever it just looks like rain.
It may be a weak breaker, but I figure, "better safe than sorry."

Last edited: