• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Paint smell in bathroom after showering

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We recently painted our bathroom, and did use the mildew additive that Benjamin Moore provides for kitchens and baths.

It's only been a week, but I notice that every time someone takes a shower, the bathroom smells strongly like paint again. (We do have a fan/light in there.) Just wondering if anyone knows if this is normal, if it's a property of the paint, or if it means that potentially they didn't put the additive in the paint.

Thanks!

Sharon

DenMar

Reaction score
Im not a painter, but I played one on TV...
I think your problem might be that the paint wasn't allowed to dry completely after application. Paint often takes days to cure depending on type (latex vs oil), humidity, temp., etc. If the shower is used daily and the outside temp is cool then the humidity in the room will delay the curing.
If at all possible, don't shower in this room for a week and ventilate w/ open windows during the warmest parts of the day. If this doesn't do it take the paint can back to the store. They may have left out the drying/curing ingredient of the paint(all paints have this). I hope this helps.

dgdbloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
How long after painting did you use shower?
I recently used a bathroom paint that is suppose to prevent mildew and peeling. Paint store told me not to use shower(even w/ fan) for 24-36 hrs after painting. Try putting bowl of straight vinegar(white) in room - I do that when painting and hardly ever have paint smell- don't know if its too late for that now. Not a bad idea to take can back to store. Good luck

3kids4me

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We used the shower two days after painting.

So, is the only remedy for this to repaint? Or, just not shower in there for awhile? (Not sure what taking the paint back to the store would do...except to get new paint?)

Thanks!

Sharon