• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner update @ Kings Land

Reaction score
Having just returned from our Hawaiian vacation, thought I'd share some of the details of our owner update/sales pitch at HGVC Kings Land.

First off, this wasn't a high pressure pitch such as those we've experienced at HGVC Orlando. It was quite congenial, and we let them know right off that we were just interested in finding out what the numbers were.

We were a bit surprised to find out that our affiliate contract (2400 points at Seawatch in Ft. Myers Beach) did not count toward obtaining Elite status...not that we really cared, but of course that is the "Golden Ticket" for all sales presentations at HGVC. (I later confirmed that in the Club rules, as we had purchased it as a foreclosure from the association at Seawatch.)

Also, while they mentioned how much expansion Hilton Vacation Club is doing, such as the Trump property in Vegas and Hokulani in Waikiki, they didn't know anything about the rumored Ocean Tower conversion to timeshares at the Waikoloa Beach Resort, and they made no mention of any further expansion at Kings Land (nor was there any sign of any construction taking place).

As far as "the pitch" goes, they were willing to take our 7,000 point, 2BR Orlando platinum week on trade toward a 14,400 point platinum season unit at Kings Land, with a balance to finance of around $51,000. Then we could achieve Elite status! :cheer: (So basically, they wanted around $82,000 for the 14,400 point unit.) Coincidentally, they only had one of those units in available inventory, and it would probably be snapped up quickly. ;)

To sweeten the deal (because it was Easter, and this was a one-time only offer, of course), they were giving 50,000 Club bonus points as an incentive. My wife and I looked at each other and both said, "How the heck would we possibly use 50,000 bonus points over the next two years, in addition to the 14,400 points annually?" We don't have that much vacation time, or that many kids to share it with. It was almost ridiculously funny.

Needless to say, we didn't bite on the offer (or the other two lower point value offers he had at the ready), as we almost always use our points to stay during low season in the smallest available units to maximize value. Told the guy that even with what points we have we can stay at our home resort in Orlando for two weeks in a studio or 1BR each year and have plenty of points for a 1BR in Kings Land for two weeks the year after (and keep that pattern up indefinitely).
He was quite gracious, gave us our Holo Holo card and the $100 Hilton bucks, and we headed for the pool.

All in all, not a bad experience for two hours first thing on a Sunday morning...and we got to provide all you TUG folks with (hopefully) some valuable information.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
they didn't know anything about the rumored Ocean Tower conversion to timeshares at the Waikoloa Beach Resort, and they made no mention of any further expansion at Kings Land (nor was there any sign of any construction taking place).

Thank you for the interesting (and amusing!) update. I'm sorry that we can't get any further confirmation Ocean Tower/KL P3 but I keep hoping!

Thanks again for posting...

Best,

Greg

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. We're booked in on Wednesday, which we really don't want to do. We were going to do one at HHV, but the timing didn't work, so the concierge booked us in at KL. Funny how when we talked with the concierge here, she couldn't give us the Holo Holo Card plus the hhonors. She said it was entered in the system already.:shrug:

What is the value of Hhonors points now anyways?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Can't do updates for gifts!

Thanks. We're booked in on Wednesday, which we really don't want to do. We were going to do one at HHV, but the timing didn't work, so the concierge booked us in at KL. Funny how when we talked with the concierge here, she couldn't give us the Holo Holo Card plus the hhonors. She said it was entered in the system already.:shrug:

I am interested in your note about updates. We were told by the concierge that we can't do updates for gifts. We bought all our HGVC timeshares resale so that was the reason they gave this year. In previous years they said that we had 5 updates with gifts already and that was the reason we couldn't do updates for gifts. However, the next year we were able to get a $200 resort credit for doing an update. Has anyone experienced either one of these reasons or know if either one has validity.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

He got holo holo plus 100 resort credit, not hhonors. He was offered 50k HGVC bonus points with purchase on the 14.4k points deal. That is one of the best points per maint fee packages, IF you can afford the buy in.

50k is a lot, I got 10k when I purchased at KL. Elite is not worth the 100k buy in. I agree hhonors are just about useless.

It's been my experience that the Hawaii sales staff are not nearly as aggressive as Vegas.

xandern

Reaction score
We also had an owners update at Kings Land in early April. They tried to convince us to upgrade a 7000 pt Parc Soleil unit for a 10500 pt 2 bedroom unit at Kings Land (dont know the exact type but is was in platinum). We had to pay an additional 20.000 USD and were offered 35.000 bonus points. This amount of points is way more than we were offered previously and the points/maintenance fee ratio would have been slightly better than what we owned.
We were tempted, but did not take the offer and walked out with our Holo Holo card and 100 Hilton dollars.

Btw, we were told that they are actually preparing to build another building, similar to buildings 21 and 22 and we actually did notice some activity behind the screens / fences they put up on the right hand side just after you enter Kings Land.

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are here on an RCI exchange and any updates are not linked to our HGVC account. When Brandan at HHV looked at my account, it indicated me as never having taken a presentation since my last one was also on an exchange back into a HGVC resort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
That makes sense, the RCI bulk deposits pull in fresh fish for presentations.

bobemac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am interested in your note about updates. We were told by the concierge that we can't do updates for gifts. We bought all our HGVC timeshares resale so that was the reason they gave this year. In previous years they said that we had 5 updates with gifts already and that was the reason we couldn't do updates for gifts. However, the next year we were able to get a $200 resort credit for doing an update. Has anyone experienced either one of these reasons or know if either one has validity.

When we stayed at the Bay Club we actually ignored the concierge at the lobby of the Kohala Suites and the Bay Club activity center. We were not even thinking about an update.
The next day we stopped by the HGVC booth in the Queens Market and
shot the breeze with a guy named Kevin.
Kevin informed us that owners are permitted update visits once every six months!
He also made us an offer we could not refuse. We made out quite well,
in fact amazingly well.
Our Kingsland update rep was also very cool. He was really quick and
knew from the first that we were not motivated. He said, I've never been
able to sell a Bay Club owner!

gnorth16

TUG Member
Reaction score
We ended up cancelling....Went to the beach instead!!!

BTW, the paperwork did say that you can only be gifted 5 times in a presentation.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
What was your update and purchase history?

When we stayed at the Bay Club we actually ignored the concierge at the lobby of the Kohala Suites and the Bay Club activity center. We were not even thinking about an update.
The next day we stopped by the HGVC booth in the Queens Market and
shot the breeze with a guy named Kevin.
Kevin informed us that owners are permitted update visits once every six months!
He also made us an offer we could not refuse. We made out quite well,
in fact amazingly well.
Our Kingsland update rep was also very cool. He was really quick and
knew from the first that we were not motivated. He said, I've never been
able to sell a Bay Club owner!

That was great that you received a gift for a very cool owners update. I have also heard that owners are permitted updates every six months. However, what was your previous update history? Did you have 5 previous updates with gifts? Also, did you purchase your HGVC timeshares from the developer or did your purchase them resale like we did?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paperwork said you can only be gifted 5 times in a presentation?

We ended up cancelling....Went to the beach instead!!!

BTW, the paperwork did say that you can only be gifted 5 times in a presentation.

While I heard of the rule that you can only be gifted 5 times in a presentation, that was not on any paperwork that I have seen. Also, as I previously mentioned after I heard that rule and was prevented from attending a presentation and receiving a gift one year since I had been gifted 5 times in a presentation, the next year I was given a gift for attending a presentation. Then the following year I was prevented from receiving a gift for attending a presentation since I was a resale owner. It may be like the Chinese New Years names; year of the 5 year gift rule, year of the resale purchase rule, year of the low income rule, year of the previous presentation within a year at this location rule.

bobemac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That was great that you received a gift for a very cool owners update. I have also heard that owners are permitted updates every six months. However, what was your previous update history? Did you have 5 previous updates with gifts? Also, did you purchase your HGVC timeshares from the developer or did your purchase them resale like we did?

We never would purchase from HGVC directly.
Many years ago we were in Orlando and were in the typical high pressure
situation faced by newbies.
I wasn't buying anything they were selling and when they escalated we just walked out. I said to my BW, there's got to be a better way.
I saw a billboard advertising TS resales and then I found TUG.
Over the years we have had at least five updates with gifts from HGVC
alone, plus there were many other TS gifts.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)
Having just returned from our Hawaiian vacation, thought I'd share some of the details of our owner update/sales pitch at HGVC Kings Land.

First off, this wasn't a high pressure pitch such as those we've experienced at HGVC Orlando. It was quite congenial, and we let them know right off that we were just interested in finding out what the numbers were.

We were a bit surprised to find out that our affiliate contract (2400 points at Seawatch in Ft. Myers Beach) did not count toward obtaining Elite status...not that we really cared, but of course that is the "Golden Ticket" for all sales presentations at HGVC. (I later confirmed that in the Club rules, as we had purchased it as a foreclosure from the association at Seawatch.)

Also, while they mentioned how much expansion Hilton Vacation Club is doing, such as the Trump property in Vegas and Hokulani in Waikiki, they didn't know anything about the rumored Ocean Tower conversion to timeshares at the Waikoloa Beach Resort, and they made no mention of any further expansion at Kings Land (nor was there any sign of any construction taking place).

As far as "the pitch" goes, they were willing to take our 7,000 point, 2BR Orlando platinum week on trade toward a 14,400 point platinum season unit at Kings Land, with a balance to finance of around $51,000. Then we could achieve Elite status! :cheer: (So basically, they wanted around $82,000 for the 14,400 point unit.) Coincidentally, they only had one of those units in available inventory, and it would probably be snapped up quickly. ;)

To sweeten the deal (because it was Easter, and this was a one-time only offer, of course), they were giving 50,000 Club bonus points as an incentive. My wife and I looked at each other and both said, "How the heck would we possibly use 50,000 bonus points over the next two years, in addition to the 14,400 points annually?" We don't have that much vacation time, or that many kids to share it with. It was almost ridiculously funny.

Needless to say, we didn't bite on the offer (or the other two lower point value offers he had at the ready), as we almost always use our points to stay during low season in the smallest available units to maximize value. Told the guy that even with what points we have we can stay at our home resort in Orlando for two weeks in a studio or 1BR each year and have plenty of points for a 1BR in Kings Land for two weeks the year after (and keep that pattern up indefinitely).
He was quite gracious, gave us our Holo Holo card and the $100 Hilton bucks, and we headed for the pool.

All in all, not a bad experience for two hours first thing on a Sunday morning...and we got to provide all you TUG folks with (hopefully) some valuable information.
I thought everything at the Waikoloa Beach Resort (WBR) was timeshares and everything at the Bay Club at Waikoloa (Bay Club) was either timeshares or owner owned condo's?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought everything at the Waikoloa Beach Resort (WBR) was timeshares and everything at the Bay Club at Waikoloa (Bay Club) was either timeshares or owner owned condo's?

You are thinking correctly. What the quoted post was referring to is that the ocean tower at the Hilton Hotel had a sign saying it was going to be converted to a timeshare.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
You are thinking correctly. What the quoted post was referring to is that the ocean tower at the Hilton Hotel had a sign saying it was going to be converted to a timeshare.

That's the plan although who knows how long that will take.

Ocean view units would be pretty awesome there.

Ron98GT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC (7k Hawaii), Marriott (2-Bdrm L/O), & RCI Points (80k Grand View)

It's been so long since I've heard anything about the hotel conversion, I totally forgot about it. Be nice if we can get updates from Tuggers that visit Waikoloa in the future.

Sent from my iPad Retina using Tapatalk

letsgosteelers

TUG Member
Reaction score
An Ocean Tower HGVC might be nice but the only problem is that it's at the end of the transportation line.

We've stayed there before and although the views are beautiful, the long wait/trek from the far end of the resort can be taxing.

Now if they somehow provide access from the Tower side then that would make this only negative a moot point.

any update on this rumour?