• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Owner privileges denied if travelling solo

Bobby DeLite

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Marbella
My wife and I are recent Vacation Club Owners of 2 weeks. One of the selling points for us was the benefits (as Owners) when booking at Marriott hotels during our travels. Benefits such as comp wifi, room upgrade, breakfast included etc...

Upon becoming Owners, Marriott sent us a wallet card that clearly lists our name, Vacation Club Owner number and Marriott Rewards number.

My wife booked me into the Marriott Munich for a Business trip using our Marriott Rewards Number, however, upon check-in, I was informed that the benefits expected have been rescinded because the booking was made from my wife's account. And as she was not travelling with me, I was not entitled to Vacation Club Owner perks.

I provided the Duty Manager with a copy of the wallet card clearly showing my name as an Owner but he was having none of it. The booking was from my wife's account and despite my name on all legal and contractual documents, I was not due the benefits of ownership. He went so far as offering me breakfast 'as a gift'! I appreciate the offer but feel the 'gift' was condescending given the money I've paid for Ownership.

We eventually worked things out to my satisfaction when common sense ruled and he acknowledged the confusion. He indicated that although the wallet card lists both my name and the name of my wife, I would need my own Marriott Rewards number and all my future bookings would need to be from my account.

The hassle of somehow combining my points earned with the points earned from my wife seems inefficient and will undoubtedly lead to wasted time and much frustration. Surely Marriott can issue one Rewards number for multiple legal Owners ex. a married couple when a spouse travels solo??!!

Has anyone had a similar experience? If not, consider my experience a warning.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, what you reported is exactly how Marriott Rewards side is treated. Many TUGgers here mentioned switching the primary name back and forth to ensure the recognition is afforded to the primary traveller. You will need to set up your own Marriott Rewards account and ask MVC to switch the primary for you whenever you travel solo. They do not have the ability to combine both names under one Rewards number. No company ever does that currently, hotel or airlines. Each number is unique to a person. I can understand why they do that as people get divorced and people die. The annoyance for me is that the elite status does not apply to both the names under the MVC ownership, just whoever is listed first.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a Marriott Visa credit card, and I have listed my wife as a user. She has her own card with the same number as mine. Also, I am a MR member with my own distinct member number. She is NOT a MR member. Recently she traveled alone to Williamsburg to visit our daughter and family. I made a hotel reservation in BOTH our names, with my MR number. When she checked in, she presented the Marriott credit card and her ID. No further questions were asked. I know that I am supposed to be a quest in order to get the points and upgrades, but the situation did not present itself. I believe that is because I made the reservation in both names. Just a thought.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
I have a Marriott Visa credit card, and I have listed my wife as a user. She has her own card with the same number as mine. Also, I am a MR member with my own distinct member number. She is NOT a MR member. Recently she traveled alone to Williamsburg to visit our daughter and family. I made a hotel reservation in BOTH our names, with my MR number. When she checked in, she presented the Marriott credit card and her ID. No further questions were asked. I know that I am supposed to be a quest in order to get the points and upgrades, but the situation did not present itself. I believe that is because I made the reservation in both names. Just a thought.
You did it the right way...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the past we used DH's MR account for all hotel reservations, and used his name only on the reservations. On the few occasions I travelled without him, I was awarded his benefits (Platinum) upon checkin and during the stay, including room upgrades, the check in points, and breakfasts. That said, I didn't expect to receive those benefits. Since he is Lifetime Platinum, and we are Chairman's Club, I changed the Primary owner on our MVCI account to me, giving me MR Platinum status...with zero points and zero nights! That will change, of course, but it's a great benefit to have the MR status separately.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are recent Vacation Club Owners of 2 weeks. One of the selling points for us was the benefits (as Owners) when booking at Marriott hotels during our travels. Benefits such as comp wifi, room upgrade, breakfast included etc...

Upon becoming Owners, Marriott sent us a wallet card that clearly lists our name, Vacation Club Owner number and Marriott Rewards number.

My wife booked me into the Marriott Munich for a Business trip using our Marriott Rewards Number, however, upon check-in, I was informed that the benefits expected have been rescinded because the booking was made from my wife's account. And as she was not travelling with me, I was not entitled to Vacation Club Owner perks.

I provided the Duty Manager with a copy of the wallet card clearly showing my name as an Owner but he was having none of it. The booking was from my wife's account and despite my name on all legal and contractual documents, I was not due the benefits of ownership. He went so far as offering me breakfast 'as a gift'! I appreciate the offer but feel the 'gift' was condescending given the money I've paid for Ownership.

We eventually worked things out to my satisfaction when common sense ruled and he acknowledged the confusion. He indicated that although the wallet card lists both my name and the name of my wife, I would need my own Marriott Rewards number and all my future bookings would need to be from my account.

The hassle of somehow combining my points earned with the points earned from my wife seems inefficient and will undoubtedly lead to wasted time and much frustration. Surely Marriott can issue one Rewards number for multiple legal Owners ex. a married couple when a spouse travels solo??!!

This is the way I understand it is supposed to work. My wife has traveled without me when reserved from my account and received the benefits at times and not at others. You can only have one MR account on the MVC account and that one is upgraded to platinum once a year (just happened). I am now lifetime Platinum so I recently changed our MVC rewards number to my wife's and we changed our Marriott Chase to her name as the primary under her number. We'll start building her lifetime status. Remember these are separate systems and that promises made during sales but not contractual mean nothing.

Reactions: mas

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You seem to be confusing Marriott Vacation Club ownership with Marriott Rewards. The two are not the same. You both have ownership in Marriott Vacation Club, but Marriott Rewards accounts are individual. Your joint ownership status and any benefits that it provides can only be afforded to one MR account.

Technically, based on the T&C, any elite benefits are only to be afforded to the elite member. So just because you make a reservation in your account, those benefits don't necessarily transfer to someone else staying at the property unless you are staying with them. That doesn't mean it never happens, but you don't happen but the other guests can't really demand anything if they don't get your benefits.

Also, your ownership card with both yours and your wife's names on them really meant nothing to a hotel in Munich, or a hotel anywhere. That is a card for your Marriott Vacation Club ownership and does not apply to the hotel or Marriott Rewards programs.

Also, I am not sure how your wife made a reservation in your name but in her account if she doesn't have a Marriott Rewards account? Don't you pretty much have to have a rewards account just to make a reservation online?

It seems that your confusion and issues with not making the reservation properly is what led to the issues, not really any fault of the hotel or property.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, your ownership card with both yours and your wife's names on them really meant nothing to a hotel in Munich, or a hotel anywhere. That is a card for your Marriott Vacation Club ownership and does not apply to the hotel or Marriott Rewards programs.
Just to speak to the specific point made by the OP, we were issued a card by MVC to myself, and another one to my wife -- both of which definitely contained the same Marriott rewards number. So what he describes is completely possible (or was 10 years ago when I purchased and I would not be surprised to hear it continued to happen). This is obviously misleading/an error, but it would be completely reasonable of the OP to assume that they had a 'joint' MR account based upon written communications from MVC. MR are much better and much clearer in their explanations.

Note that these cards are issued by MVC and not marriott rewards but do identify a Marriott Rewards number .

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Just to speak to the specific point made by the OP, we were issued a card by MVC to myself, and another one to my wife -- both of which definitely contained the same Marriott rewards number. So what he describes is completely possible (or was 10 years ago when I purchased and I would not be surprised to hear it continued to happen). This is obviously misleading/an error, but it would be completely reasonable of the OP to assume that they had a 'joint' MR account based upon written communications from MVC. MR are much better and much clearer in their explanations.

Note that these cards are issued by MVC and not marriott rewards but do identify a Marriott Rewards number .
We purchased in 2011 and our MVC ownership cards do not contain a MR number on them.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Unfortunately, what you reported is exactly how Marriott Rewards side is treated. Many TUGgers here mentioned switching the primary name back and forth to ensure the recognition is afforded to the primary traveller. You will need to set up your own Marriott Rewards account and ask MVC to switch the primary for you whenever you travel solo. They do not have the ability to combine both names under one Rewards number. No company ever does that currently, hotel or airlines. Each number is unique to a person. I can understand why they do that as people get divorced and people die. The annoyance for me is that the elite status does not apply to both the names under the MVC ownership, just whoever is listed first.

Hilton absolutely puts both owners on the same Honors account if you get status due to your HGVC (timeshare) ownership. You have to sign a bunch of paperwork that acknowledges it as joint in the event of divorce, etc.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

We purchased in 2011 and our MVC ownership cards do not contain a MR number on them.

To provide another data point...our first purchase in MVC was 2014 and we received two MVC membership cards - one for both of us - but both are identical. Both cards contain both of our names, our joint MVC account number, and my wife's Marriott Rewards number (I don't even have a separate Rewards account right now)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hilton absolutely puts both owners on the same Honors account if you get status due to your HGVC (timeshare) ownership. You have to sign a bunch of paperwork that acknowledges it as joint in the event of divorce, etc.
Hilton is different. Long ago they allowed my wife and I to merge our HHonors account. Marriott doesn't do it that way.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

I understand the frustration. While MVC considers you joint owners in the account number they assigned to you based on your timeshare ownership, Marriott Rewards (MR) only recognizes individual owners in their assigned hotel loyalty account numbers. Only one MR account number can be attached to your MVC ownership. Assuming you both have an MR account, whichever MR account number you associate with your MVC ownership will receive the applicable Elite benefits during hotel stays. If neither of you qualify for Elite status outside your MVC ownership (based on actual hotel stays), I suggest making all hotel reservations jointly (whether both of you are traveling or not), and hope for the best.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a definite flaw in Marriott system. In the event of death of the person named on Marriott Rewards acct tied to timeshare account -- status and points do not transfer to spouse.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a definite flaw in Marriott system. In the event of death of the person named on Marriott Rewards acct tied to timeshare account -- status and points do not transfer to spouse.
It is not as bad as that.
Provided both partners have a Marriott Rewards account, on the death of one partner Marriott Rewards will transfer their MR points to the surviving spouse.
(MR Elite status will not transfer though)
The MVC Owner level benefits can also be transferred to the surviving spouse by switching the linked MR account, provided that both partners are named owners.

Bobby DeLite

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Marbella
Thank you, All, for your time and informed responses. Your experience and advice has eased my frustration and will help in future dealings with Marriott.

To be clear... upon becoming GOLD level MVC Owners, my wife and I received an 'information and reference only' wallet card from MVC which looks like this:

Joe and Jane Smith
Vacation Club Owner Number: 123456789
Marriott Rewards Number: 987654321

We were told prior to signing the contract that we, as MVC Owners, that we could expect the following benefits upon booking any Marriott hotel worldwide:
- automatic room upgrade, if available
- free high-speed wifi
- breakfast included
- access to lounges, if available

I was never, at any time, informed that benefits did not apply to both of us and that the MVC benefits would only be assigned to one of us.

We hold joint bank accounts.
We hold a joint mortgage.
We have joint insurance policies.
Why can we not hold a joint Marriott Rewards account linked to our MVC ownership? Is this too concept too complex for Marriott to implement?

I am a co-signatory on a legally binding and executed contract with Marriott Vacation Club and demand that I be afforded my entitled privileges as such. I am not interested in 'swapping' primary account holder status or playing ' booking games' when reserving with Marriott. I will seek to confirm the benefit status but should they not be contractually documented, then I was simply lied to prior to contract signature by seedy Sales people and I accept the 'Buyer Beware' humiliation.

I, along with other MVC Owners, have a substantial investment in the Marriott brand. Moreso than someone who simply creates an online Marriott Rewards account to join their loyalty programme. MVC Owners *should* be entitled to perks and benefits otherwise there is no value to me for having loyalty to the Marriott brand. During my recent trip to Munich, for example, I specifically booked with Marriott (5mins away from my colleagues destination hotel) because I thought I was entitled to benefits which I was told upon check-in that I was not. It would have been easier and more convenient for me to book with my colleagues but I chose Marriott.

Just because 'this is how it works' or I should adjust my 'booking methods' does not mean that the process is working properly. The intention of my post is to aimed at resolving an issue that needs to be resolved. ALL MVC Owners should be offered due respect because it is our investment on which the Marriott success is based.

Thank you once again for your consideration.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Complicating the issue is that many assume Marriott is Marriott, but in fact, MVC is a totally separate company from the Marriott hotel chain. MVC has contracted with Marriott to use the Marriott name, and also pays for such things as providing MR status to certain individuals, but to help in understand the situation and why things are the way they are, its important to know they are two separate companies and that the MR program is run by the Marriott hotel chain and not by MVC.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
To be clear... upon becoming GOLD level MVC Owners, my wife and I received an 'information and reference only' wallet card from MVC which looks like this:

Joe and Jane Smith

This is what our card says as well

But one clarification, there is no such thing as a GOLD MVC Owner. MVC ownership tiers are Owner, Select, Executive, Presidential, and Chairman. The Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels are the Elite levels for the Marriott Rewards program, which is a totally separate program run by the Marriott International, Inc. hotel company, not Marriott Vacations Worldwide, Inc. (d/b/a Marriott Vacation Club). They may share the Marriott brand, but they are now two totally separate NYSE traded companies. Marriott Vacation Club does extend certain Marriott Rewards levels to their ownership tiers (Select & Executive get Gold as I recall, and Presidential and Chairman's get Platinum), and that may be where the problem now is - but more on that later.

We were told prior to signing the contract that we, as MVC Owners, that we could expect the following benefits upon booking any Marriott hotel worldwide:
- free high-speed wifi
- breakfast included

I was never, at any time, informed that benefits did not apply to both of us and that the MVC benefits would only be assigned to one of us.

Why can we not hold a joint Marriott Rewards account linked to our MVC ownership? Is this too concept too complex for Marriott to implement?

I think the issue here is that virtually all travel loyalty rewards programs - airline frequent flyer, hotel loyalty, rental car loyalty,etc. - have always since their inception been individual based programs - i.e. - you and your wife have separate frequent flyer accounts. There is no family frequent flyer account. Usually that is not an issue since everyone has to have their own seat/ticket. Hotels are a little different since more than one person can occupy a hotel room. But if you were a husband and wife - who were NOT MVC owners - and where one spouse traveled extensively and earned a lot of hotel rewards points, but the other spouse was not a frequent traveler, I don't think anyone would expect the spouse who was not a frequent traveler to receive the same Elite benefits when they traveled solo as their frequent traveler spouse. I know I wouldn't (and don't, since my wife is the most frequent business traveler.)

The problem comes in when they try to marry the individual-based loyalty programs with something that is almost always a jointly owned asset - a timeshare. It's not Marriott International's problem, since probably 90% or more of their Marriott Rewards guests are not MVC timeshare owners. Why should they modify their individual-based loyalty program to accommodate Marriott Vacation Club?

But, I do think it is Marriott Vacation Club's problem that they need to resolve. Before they linked MVC Ownership levels to Marriott Rewards tiers, there was no issue. Marriott Rewards was an individual-based system, so everyone knew they just had to link one Rewards account to their MVC account for nights credit, etc. But once MVC decided to award Marriott Rewards ownership tiers based purely on MVC ownership level, I tend to agree with the OP that MVC needs to find a way to extend that Gold or Platinum benefit to both owners' Marriott Rewards accounts. They are telling us that, by virtue of our ownership, we are now either Gold or Platinum, so why should that not apply to both joint owners? It clearly doesn't work that way right now since they are trying to use the old individual model. It's unrealistic for us to expect Marriott International to change the way Marriott Rewards works to be a family-based program, but I do think Marriott Vacation Club needs to figure out how to link multiple Rewards accounts to each ownership record for the sole purpose of extending Gold or Platinum benefits to both owners. They clearly have a system-based way to tell Marriott International to award Gold or Platinum status automatically to the linked Rewards account, so they should modify the system to allow a secondary Rewards account to be designated. That account would not be awarded nights credit or points for MVC stays - only the primary account would get that - but that secondary account would also get the automatic Gold/Platinum designation. That is the way it should work if MVC wants to award Marriott Rewards status based on ownership levels.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, All, for your time and informed responses. Your experience and advice has eased my frustration and will help in future dealings with Marriott.

Joe and Jane Smith

- free high-speed wifi
- breakfast included

I am a co-signatory on a legally binding and executed contract with Marriott Vacation Club and demand that I be afforded my entitled privileges as such. I am not interested in 'swapping' primary account holder status or playing ' booking games' when reserving with Marriott. I will seek to confirm the benefit status but should they not be contractually documented, then I was simply lied to prior to contract signature by seedy Sales people and I accept the 'Buyer Beware' humiliation.

I, along with other MVC Owners, have a substantial investment in the Marriott brand. Moreso than someone who simply creates an online Marriott Rewards account to join their loyalty programme. MVC Owners *should* be entitled to perks and benefits otherwise there is no value to me for having loyalty to the Marriott brand. During my recent trip to Munich, for example, I specifically booked with Marriott (5mins away from my colleagues destination hotel) because I thought I was entitled to benefits which I was told upon check-in that I was not. It would have been easier and more convenient for me to book with my colleagues but I chose Marriott.

Just because 'this is how it works' or I should adjust my 'booking methods' does not mean that the process is working properly. The intention of my post is to aimed at resolving an issue that needs to be resolved. ALL MVC Owners should be offered due respect because it is our investment on which the Marriott success is based.

Thank you once again for your consideration.
I understand how you are concerned about this but in reality these are totally separate companies. The option itself could go away tomorrow for all parties. One should always understand what they are getting into and never rely on the representations of a salesperson as to how things work, what's guaranteed.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think someone above mentioned having the MR# show up on both the primary and secondary Marriott Visa cc may work in terms of tying MR# ownership to the name. I have a Marriott Visa cc in my name and my husband is the secondary. I will go back and check both cards to see if my MR# also shows up on his. We don't carry this cc anymore because other card supercedes the Marriott cc usage. We have different last names/surnames. Since I manage all travel and bills at home, everything has my name as the primary holder - bank, car, timeshare, insurance...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think someone above mentioned having the MR# show up on both the primary and secondary Marriott Visa cc may work in terms of tying MR# ownership to the name. I have a Marriott Visa cc in my name and my husband is the secondary. I will go back and check both cards to see if my MR# also shows up on his. We don't carry this cc anymore because other card supercedes the Marriott cc usage. We have different last names/surnames. Since I manage all travel and bills at home, everything has my name as the primary holder - bank, car, timeshare, insurance...
I did this recently and I talked to Chase about this issue, they said only one number on one card, the main account holder. They would not switch the number and the account to my wife as primary. I've opened a new account with her as primary and her MR#. We'll cancel the other one. Only my # shows on my card and none on my wife's from the account where I'm primary. The reverse is true for our new card account where my my wife is primary.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did this recently and I talked to Chase about this issue, they said only one number on one card, the main account holder. They would not switch the number and the account to my wife as primary. I've opened a new account with her as primary and her MR#. We'll cancel the other one. Only my # shows on my card and none on my wife's from the account where I'm primary. The reverse is true for our new card account where my my wife is primary.
Thank you for the clarification.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
This is what our card says as well

But one clarification, there is no such thing as a GOLD MVC Owner. MVC ownership tiers are Owner, Select, Executive, Presidential, and Chairman. The Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels are the Elite levels for the Marriott Rewards program, which is a totally separate program run by the Marriott International, Inc. hotel company, not Marriott Vacations Worldwide, Inc. (d/b/a Marriott Vacation Club). They may share the Marriott brand, but they are now two totally separate NYSE traded companies. Marriott Vacation Club does extend certain Marriott Rewards levels to their ownership tiers (Select & Executive get Gold as I recall, and Presidential and Chairman's get Platinum), and that may be where the problem now is - but more on that later.

I think the issue here is that virtually all travel loyalty rewards programs - airline frequent flyer, hotel loyalty, rental car loyalty,etc. - have always since their inception been individual based programs - i.e. - you and your wife have separate frequent flyer accounts. There is no family frequent flyer account. Usually that is not an issue since everyone has to have their own seat/ticket. Hotels are a little different since more than one person can occupy a hotel room. But if you were a husband and wife - who were NOT MVC owners - and where one spouse traveled extensively and earned a lot of hotel rewards points, but the other spouse was not a frequent traveler, I don't think anyone would expect the spouse who was not a frequent traveler to receive the same Elite benefits when they traveled solo as their frequent traveler spouse. I know I wouldn't (and don't, since my wife is the most frequent business traveler.)

The problem comes in when they try to marry the individual-based loyalty programs with something that is almost always a jointly owned asset - a timeshare. It's not Marriott International's problem, since probably 90% or more of their Marriott Rewards guests are not MVC timeshare owners. Why should they modify their individual-based loyalty program to accommodate Marriott Vacation Club?

But, I do think it is Marriott Vacation Club's problem that they need to resolve. Before they linked MVC Ownership levels to Marriott Rewards tiers, there was no issue. Marriott Rewards was an individual-based system, so everyone knew they just had to link one Rewards account to their MVC account for nights credit, etc. But once MVC decided to award Marriott Rewards ownership tiers based purely on MVC ownership level, I tend to agree with the OP that MVC needs to find a way to extend that Gold or Platinum benefit to both owners' Marriott Rewards accounts. They are telling us that, by virtue of our ownership, we are now either Gold or Platinum, so why should that not apply to both joint owners? It clearly doesn't work that way right now since they are trying to use the old individual model. It's unrealistic for us to expect Marriott International to change the way Marriott Rewards works to be a family-based program, but I do think Marriott Vacation Club needs to figure out how to link multiple Rewards accounts to each ownership record for the sole purpose of extending Gold or Platinum benefits to both owners. They clearly have a system-based way to tell Marriott International to award Gold or Platinum status automatically to the linked Rewards account, so they should modify the system to allow a secondary Rewards account to be designated. That account would not be awarded nights credit or points for MVC stays - only the primary account would get that - but that secondary account would also get the automatic Gold/Platinum designation. That is the way it should work if MVC wants to award Marriott Rewards status based on ownership levels.

Agreed. Another example of these travel related loyalty accounts are those provided by the cruise lines. We are required to have a separate loyalty account for each family member going on the cruise (and not just one loyalty account number that is 'cabin' based that whomever happens to be in the cabin gets any associated benefit of).

As far as MVC fixing the problem, I'm sure Marriott International isn't giving Elite status away to MVC for free and there is some form of compensation exchanged between the two companies. I'm sure it is completely possible for MVC to have two MR account numbers attached to an MVC ownership. The only question is at what price from Marriott International to MVC ... to be subsequently passed through to the owners (plus maybe a little 'extra' added in to the pass through for MVC's bottom line to compensate for their corporate inconvenience aka 'administrative costs').

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Hilton is different. Long ago they allowed my wife and I to merge our HHonors account. Marriott doesn't do it that way.
And Hilton also stopped doing it a few years ago for new accounts. Like you, my wife and I have a grandfathered joint account (which Hilton calls or called a "mutual fund" account), so we both have the same Hilton Honors number. I wish more companies offered joint accounts, but it is very rare if not non-existent now.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As far as MVC fixing the problem, I'm sure Marriott International isn't giving Elite status away to MVC for free and there is some form of compensation exchanged between the two companies. I'm sure it is completely possible for MVC to have two MR account numbers attached to an MVC ownership. The only question is at what price from Marriott International to MVC ... to be subsequently passed through to the owners (plus maybe a little 'extra' added in to the pass through for MVC's bottom line to compensate for their corporate inconvenience aka 'administrative costs').

Absolutely. Adding a secondary Rewards account that gets boosted to Gold/Platinum along with the primary would almost certainly require an increased payment from MVC to Marriott International. That's probably a big reason why they didn't do it, but to do it right, that's the way it should have been done, IMHO.