TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

outrageous TX toll roads!

Discussion in 'US - Central States Timesharing' started by Beck02, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Beck02

Beck02 TUG Member

So, I've heard some others talking about toll road prices in Texas & just sort of shrugged them off. But for New Years, we drove to San Antonio & I happened to use one of their toll roads. From 5:06 pm to the final 5:49 pm time (so slightly less than 1 hour travel time, maybe 85-100 miles total) the charges came to $19.23. Plus a mailing fee of $1.15.

Wow!!! They had 6 charging stations that I passed about every 10 minutes & each pass was $2.35. If I would have realize it was going to be that much EVERY 10 miles, I would have exited the toll roads. I think I saw the prices, but thought that was for the ENTIRE stretch of road, not every 7 - 10 minutes...

Thankfully I went a different way home, and I won't be making that mistake again

Any other states have toll roads that high? Ok (my home state) is bad, but not quite THAT bad.

2. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    Its time or fees. pay with one or the other.

it really depends on time of day, sometimes the toll is the only way to make it from A to B in a timely fashion.

Were you taking the Austin Bypass? Or which toll did you hit?

3. FreeIn2010

FreeIn2010 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    Tolls for New York City tunnels and bridges are pretty high. I think the highest I've seen is $17... and that's just to cross a bridge or go thru a tunnel. Driving from MD to NYC could run you $40+ in tolls... one way. Rates are lower when using an ez pass. Also pricy tolls within the city to travel from one burrough to another (eg Manhattan to Brooklyn was $5+ with EZpass... I think that was each way)

4. PigsDad

PigsDad TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club
    Colorado has a 13 mile section of eastbound I-70 that can be up to $40 at peak times.

Not sure if I've heard of any other non-bridge/tunnel toll road that high (over $3/mile!).

Kurt

5. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Over on the Eastern States Timesharing forum, there's a string about the HOV Toll lanes on I-66 inside the Capital Beltway in Northern Virginia. It's a nine mile stretch and the highest toll I've heard of was $40. (WTOP, the local news, traffic, weather station reports on the tolls when they get extreme.)

Correction: According to one website, at 8:30 AM on Wednesday, January 24, the toll for nine miles hit $46.75.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Glad I am retired! Now I have the time to take the slower free routes for the most part. :) Denver Airport drive as I recall was fairly expensive. NY was indeed pretty bad too. Oklahoma has a lot of toll roads since I live there also, used to live around Tulsa (Bixby). Seemed like most roads into and out of there were toll roads. Dallas area has quite a few, but, there are other ways around for the most part and I rarely take them. We pay one way or another I guess.

7. sfwilshire

sfwilshire TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I spend a lot of time in Dallas. There, at least, you can avoid the toll roads. Sometimes it costs you some time but other places the travel time is not significantly impacted. I set my GPS to avoid tolls and just check the toll alternatives when the routing seems too odd.

It is definitely a lot better than Florida where you often have to way to avoid a toll, or some of the high priced tolls mentioned above in NY and NJ.

Sheila

8. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    It almost makes flying seem like the preferred way to travel.

9. FreeIn2010

FreeIn2010 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    Or, when heading to NYC from the DMV area, Amtrak is my preferred mode of transportation.

10. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

I live in the DFW area and use the toll roads when they work best for me and avoid them other times. I have no problem with them. If we didn't have the toll roads, the State would raise the gas tax which would only affect those of us who drive gasoline and diesel powered cars. Those driving the electrics would get a free ride.

George

11. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Here, though toll roads are not an issue, the state has issued a $75 per year license surcharge on electric cars in lieu of road use taxes. I can see variations on this theme becoming normal ways of highway funding as electric cars become more prevalent.