• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Options with Ill Parent?

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
I have several trips planned in the next several months; however, my father-in-law has been doing poorly for over a year and we are being told he could pass at any time. His last labs show that his time is indeed likely very short. I do have VacationGuard Annual Timeshare Plus, but do I need further insurance in the sad event something does happen while we are away? My first trip is with my husband, one is with my daughter, and another is as a sole traveler. Is the fact that he is an in-law different than if he were my blood relative?

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry about your father-in-law. Hard times, indeed.

I think you should call the company. Particularly since this, unlike many situations, is ominous to begin with. We had travel insurance through a different company when my father-in-law passed but my husband was on the policy so it was still a blood relative. It would be when you were traveling alone that it would matter most, I think.

Good luck.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You DO need to go through the policy. It will answer ALL your questions. Back when I had my mom in a nursing home, and later when my Father in Law was similarly accommodated, we bought full-on travel insurance that would reimburse us for 'emergency' evacuation or repatriation in case of an immediate family death. It's FAR more expensive than an annual timeshare policy that's designed (as I understand it) to protect your points or weeks against loss of your MF in case you have to cancel. Your policy will outline it's limits in detail.

Best wishes for your relatives' good health.

Jim

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for the advice. I will check the policy more closely and then contact the company to see what, if anything, I need to add to the plan I currently have. It's definitely a tough situation all around.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It will be a small fortune to get this insurance now since our trip was planned last year. So, I'll probably take my chances and eat it if the worst happens.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I'm in a similar situation with my mother-in-law. However, we do not have insurance. And it looks like what we will be doing this Summer is that I will be traveling without my husband. He will stay with his mom and I will take my son on our trips, perhaps bringing my mom or my sister along instead.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm so sorry to hear that you too are facing this situation. I think that's probably a smart solution.

Lglen119

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too have a VacationGuard plan, and had it for this situation. Their family member definition is very broad, and does apply to your spouse (non-blood) relatives too - from the policy:

“Family Member” means the Insured’s, or Traveling Companion’s spouse, civil union partner, Domestic Partner, Child, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, brother, sister, mother, father, grandparent, step-grandparent, grandchild, step-grandchild, step-child, step-brother, step-sister, step-parent, parent-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, aunt, step-aunt, uncle, step-uncle, niece, nephew, legal guardian, foster Child, ward, or legal ward; spouse civil union partner or Domestic Partner of any of the above. Family Member also includes these relations to the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s spouse civil union partner or Domestic Partner."

With illness, I found the key question is not "IF" there is coverage, but "WHEN" the sickness occurred. If you bought the plan AFTER your in-law was sick, every plan has a look-back period for pre-existing, as no carrier wants to cover something that has already occurred. So, that would be the first thing I'd review. Or, if you are like us, where we've been buying VG for years, it waives the pre-ex with renewals, helping me avoid this challenge of dealing with sickness that is inevitable, for me or family members.

Frankly, I'd just call them, for when I had issues, while I couldn't go into a whole claim scenario with them, nor did I expect them too, they were very helpful in explaining how it worked. What I also learned is that pre-ex applies differently to a cancellation, than to a family member you need to get to, who might need emergency care or pass while back home, yet you are away on your trip.

I am sorry you are experiencing this, as it's never easy. Frankly, there will be larger issues to navigate, yet perhaps this could be something that might help a little. Peace to you and your family ~

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you so much. My father-in-law's illness is chronic and so who knows when the inevitable might happen, though as I said, his labs are looking even worse. But who knows-- we were told he had six months a year and a half ago. I've had the yearly plan for years, but somehow didn't get notice about renewing when it came due the end of last year. So I renewed when it dawned on me to check, but there was a gap. I'll call and see what they say, but if they don't cover, then we will just have to take our losses.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Several years back, my brother-in-law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Though he was given just 3-6 months, he responded well to treatment. By the time we took a planned trip to France, he had survived nearly 2 years, and was doing relatively well. (He has since passed, RIP). We wanted trip insurance to be able to return or cancel in case he took a turn for the worse. I asked very specific and pointed questions to the rep from InsureMyTrip. I was basically told that, since he was already diagnosed as being terminal, the only "worsening condition" would be death. We ended up buying a policy with a "cancel for any reason" clause, at considerably higher expense.

Moral of the story - get very specific with the insurance rep to see what is and isn't covered.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I checked into those, and they are a lot more expensive-- and I think only a per-trip type of insurance , not a yearly like we have, though I could be wrong. In any case, I think we will hope for the best and when renewal comes along next time, I'll beef up our coverage. While of course I'd prefer to be covered, we can take the hit if the worst happens.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Found these folks pretty helpful, when shopping for cruise coverage...but special case for my expatriate mother-in-law.

Solid rep on CruiseCritic.com and were really helpful for me.

They'll even talk to you on the phone. ;-)

https://tripinsurancestore.com

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you so much! I'll look them up.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought I'd write about what occurred during the trip I took with my daughter. Fortunately, the issue wasn't my father-in-law, as he is still doing surprisingly well. We were in Canada in August when there were over 36 named fires in British Columbia alone. The smoke was so heavy that planes could not fly in or out of some of the airports. We ended up having our first flight back to the US canceled. We stayed the night and booked another flight out of a different airport the next day. We drove a one-way rental to the next airport, then that flight also was canceled. As our flight had a layover in Vancouver, we asked if we could drive to Vancouver and pick up our flight there. We were told we could, and did another one-way rental. We barely made it to Vancouver in time-- literally less than ten minutes to spare. Our out-of-pocket expenses ended up well over $1000 all told. VacationGuard reimbursed us for nearly all our expenses. I would never again consider traveling without travel insurance, and am very pleased with what VacationGuard covered and how painless it was to get reimbursed.

My policy expires this month, so I hope it is still available to renew.