• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Open Season Rates Changes for 2020

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Open Season Rates changes from 2015 to 2020

I basically selected a single resort for each destination.
For each resort location, the lowest unit type for each unit size and the single highest unit type/size overall were include.

NOTE:
In 2015, there was a separate Open Season chart for NY. The remaining locations used a single default table (gray shaded cells)
In 2016, there were separate Open Season charts for FL, LV, HI, NY. The remaining locations used a single default table (gray shaded cells)
In 2017, there were separate Open Season charts for FL, LV, HI, NY, SC, DC. The remaining locations used a single default table

Just reporting this information again so it can be seen clearly.

I created this spreadsheet to
#1 show that rates between 2015 and 2019 have been inreasing at a reasonable rate for the most part
#2 show which destinations and unit sizes got hit hardest for 2020

Open Season Rates changes from 2015 to 2020

I basically selected a single resort for each destination since the rates are similar.
To keep it simple, for each resort location, I selected the lowest unit type for each unit size and the single highest unit type/size overall was also included.

NOTE:
In 2015, HGVC had a separate Open Season chart for NY. The remaining locations used a single default table (gray shaded cells)
In 2016, HGVC created separate Open Season charts for FL, LV, HI, NY. The remaining locations used a single default table (gray shaded cells)
In 2017, HGVC created separate Open Season charts for FL, LV, HI, NY, SC, DC. The remaining locations used a single default table
In 2018 and beyond, HGVC created separate Open Season charts for each individual resort.

Hawaii and Mountain OS Rates for 2018 thru 2020.jpg

Hawaii and Mountain OS Rates for 2015 thru 2017.jpg

SC NV, FL and NY OS Rates for 2018 thru 2020.jpg

SC NV, FL and NY OS Rates for 2015 thru 2017.jpg

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Wow. A platinum weekend one bedroom at W57 in OS is cheaper than 2015 rates $302 vs. $440/night in 2015. If I were local this would be great but with airfare from Calif, it's hard to get good fares on such short notice. Especially since SWA abandoned EWR.

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
What happens to unsold inventory? Does the club rent it out to general public and share a portion of that revenue with the HOA at the individual resort?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
What happens to unsold inventory? Does the club rent it out to general public and share a portion of that revenue with the HOA at the individual resort?

The developer owns it and can do whatever they wish with it. The HOA/Club gets no share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
The developer owns it and can do whatever they wish with it. The HOA/Club gets no share.

This is a huge conflict of interest. I posted my follow up thoughts in this thread.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If I were to rent my unit, I wouldn't be expected to share my profits with the HOA. HGV owns those units and pay MF on them, why different?

Last edited:

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
My bad. I meant unbooked inventory and not unsold inventory. Some of the dates available to book could be from owners who didn't book for whatever reason. So the unbooked inventory is used by deverloper for their own financial benefit but the but owners lost the inventory (through their own negligence).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My bad. I meant unbooked inventory and not unsold inventory. Some of the dates available to book could be from owners who didn't book for whatever reason. So the unbooked inventory is used by deverloper for their own financial benefit but the but owners lost the inventory (through their own negligence).

Its clearly stated in the Club Rules document every year, can’t really fault HGV for owners negligence in not using what they paid for.

Use of Accommodations by HGV.

Beginning the first day of the Open Season reservation window, Hilton Grand Vacations reserves the right to utilize accommodations for its own purposes including for exchange, inspection visits, promotions, rentals, special programs, or any other purposes in Hilton Grand Vacations’ sole discretion . Additionally, when a Member exchanges their ClubPoints for benefits or services other than Affiliated Resort accommodations, such as ClubPartner Perk reservations or Honors points, Hilton Grand Vacations must pay the third party for the Member’s use thereof . As such, Hilton Grand Vacations, in its sole discretion, may rent or otherwise use the accommodations relinquished by that Member or other unused inventory to cover the cost of such third party benefits and services .

In renting accommodations as described herein, HGV may use historical reservation data for the property to forecast the accommodations projected to remain unused by Club Members or to be used by Club Members for other benefits and services requiring monetization by HGVC and rent such accommodations prior to the start of the Open Season reservation window in order to maximize occupancy levels at the property .

Additionally, inventory owned by a developer or an affiliated resort and not yet sold, may be made available for reservation by Members or used by the developer for any purpose including but not limited to, exchange, rental, Elite privileges and promotional purposes .

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Having a single OS rate, based on unit size alone, was kind of crazy as one size does NOT fit all.

Having the same price in Orlando, the most overly populated timeshare location, to say Oahu. This is not an apples to apples comparison. So those OS deals were great for those higher urban and tropical locations, like Hawaii.

Well they did an adjustment that dealt with the inequality. Did they price Hawaii out of the great deal and into something top close to public rates, yes, they did, in my opinion.

But in my 25 years of HGVC ownership, I have used OS in Hawaii only once, but I scored and Lagoon Oceanfront 2 BR. I have also only used an additional week in Vegas in a 2 BR Elara. So if I don't use it all that much in the future, then so be it.

I looked at how stupid some rates are, like Crane, Barbados, like there was even availability via HGVC. But if the resort actually rents the unit CHEAPER than the OS rate, what exactly is the point.

Like everything change is inevitable. Grip about and then get on with the adjust to how you work it.

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
I looked at how stupid some rates are, like Crane, Barbados, like there was even availability via HGVC. But if the resort actually rents the unit CHEAPER than the OS rate, what exactly is the point.
The point is it is an intentional manipulation by HGV so that owners don't book the OS rates. Because if owners book the OS rates, then they won't have available inventory to rent out and make money off of.

Compare this with Marriott where they give you a 25 or 35% discount on whatever rates are available on Marriott.com

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Compare this with Marriott where they give you a 25 or 35% discount on whatever rates are available on Marriott.com
Yeah...but in over a decade of MVCI ownership and trying 3-4 times a year I have NEVER seen availability on that discounted rate. Maybe if I was trying for Orlando low season...but not where/when we travel.

win555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
worldmark
Yeah...but in over a decade of MVCI ownership and trying 3-4 times a year I have NEVER seen availability on that discounted rate. Maybe if I was trying for Orlando low season...but not where/when we travel.

Interesting.. I should have expected some level of scummy behavior on Marriott's part. After all they sells timeshares so they can't be trusted.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting.. I should have expected some level of scummy behavior on Marriott's part. After all they sells timeshares so they can't be trusted.
I don't think it's scummy at all. The discount is a way to fill unwanted villas...nothing more or less. We just never travel where/when few people want to go.