• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official Secrets of OWNERS (please) Four Seasons Aviara Thread

eal

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how poor the internet access is at most timeshares, when you can get excellent free wifi at any Motel 6 or Holiday Inn Express!

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Caribbean help needed

Can anyone who knows the Caribbean help point a west coaster (who usually goes to Hawaii for warm weather) in the right direction for planning? Have a meeting in Miami in January 2013 and would like to trade FS time for a good match in the Caribbean, which I know nothing about in terms of which islands/resorts are good and decently easy to get to. Have spent some time looking around but it is a big area and the Interval list for FS only has a few resorts.

Would like to end up somewhere big enough to have interesting outdoors activities for a week, some good restaurants (nightlife not important) and ideally a non-stop flight from MIA. Any hints appreciated to at least get me started :) !

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi to all
Update - moved to an updated unit half way thru the stay ( as our unit was closed for reno ) ... they have 3/4 of Summit done or nearly done... working on Meadows last.

Don't want to spoil your first view of the reno units ... so will be sparse with details to keep your anticipation at HIGHEST LEVEL ... apart from the Granite - I think the nicest change is the studio shower tub update ... or the computer desk chair. Lots of 'little touches' like lighting in main bathroom or night lights in bathrooms ... Really I was sad to see some of the 'old stuff' go - it was timeless and really will make someone a great addition to their homes ....

Overall - typical of what you expect from a Four Seasons ....
Greg

ps - can't wait to see ... try this ... for those with limited will power who need more details ( smile ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KJ4ugHnYkohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KJ4ugHnYko
or this http://www.1.fourseasons.com/interlude/2012_M02/article_18651.html?plid=61129&forward_path=http%3A//www.1.fourseasons.com/interlude/2012_M02/article_18651.html&DateStamp=&web_id=&campaign=&post_part=&path=

Last edited:

Steve

Reaction score
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the update. I was just there in January, but I was in the Meadows and the villa had not been renovated. I look forward to staying in one of the renovated villas next year.

As for the old furnishings, I think I'll miss the "dog lamps" beside the bed in the studio the most. Those were cool.

Enjoy your stay at Aviara!

Steve

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg,
.....As for the old furnishings, I think I'll miss the "dog lamps" beside the bed in the studio the most. Those were cool.....
Steve

I mentioned your post to the wife and she also agreed with the dog lamps being one of her fav's .... so I slide down to Imperial Beach and picked up a pair for $25/ea ... and because I have no willpower - the living room and master bedroom tall lamps ( so how do I get those home in the van - safely ? think I have a 33% chance on the lamp shades .... damm )

Thanks for mentioning the lamps Steve ... the location for Tony's Hotel Liquidators ... well ..interesting ... their web site is pretty limited --and the prices can change depending upon who you get ( on the phone quoted $39/per dog lamp ...smile ). They have more units staring in April when they start doing the Meadows ...

Greg

Steve

Reaction score
I mentioned your post to the wife and she also agreed with the dog lamps being one of her fav's .... so I slide down to Imperial Beach and picked up a pair for $25/ea ... and because I have no willpower - the living room and master bedroom tall lamps ( so how do I get those home in the van - safely ? think I have a 33% chance on the lamp shades .... damm )

Thanks for mentioning the lamps Steve ... the location for Tony's Hotel Liquidators ... well ..interesting ... their web site is pretty limited --and the prices can change depending upon who you get ( on the phone quoted $39/per dog lamp ...smile ). They have more units staring in April when they start doing the Meadows ...

Greg

Hi Greg,

It's great that you bought some of the lamps. I hope you get them home safely. I love your picture with your dog in front of the Four Seasons sign. I take my dogs with me to Aviara, too.

Do you know if Tony's will ship? I'd love to have a set of the dog lamps, but I'm not planning another trip to Southern California until at least fall (after a great visit in January).

Steve

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Steve

http://www.tonyshl.com/

Business Office (619)575-9147
Email: sales@tonyshl.com
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Saturdays 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sundays By appointment only

He had lots of Dog lamps ... but my 4th shade had some dents ( they are fragile ) ...so for an $5 tip I got staff to look harder ... everything is 15 feet in the air on top of things ... you might assume your lamp shades will have to be replaced or 'fixed' if shipped from the lot I saw ( he has a 2nd warehouse of stuff they mentioned ) ...

I can't say if he ships ... but call and let us all know .... tell him the Cdn who bought 2 for $25/ea told you ... then see what the shipping is as extra ... or what a great excuse for an extra visit ( smile ) - or he might have some left by next year ( depends how many TUGers are reading this and making plans to grab the 'dog's' ... FS are starting Meadows soon - the last of the Summit opens up this Tue - and need to be done by June ... do 4-5 units at a time and takes better of 3 weeks start to finish

Regards

Greg

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread >>> who is at Aviara NOW ? started off as one thing - then they said --the entire HOTEL is booked and off limits ... anyone handy to solve this mystery of how took the entire hotel ????

If so - please post that the above mentioned thread.

Thanks
Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
More changes....

Second Quarter Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

FSRC Employee Parking Issue
FSRC doesn't have designated parking for their employees. Since no other options are available, they signed a one year lease with Park Hyatt for $2500/per month.

Summer Jazz Concert Series and 4th of July Fireworks
Park Hyatt has asked for an 80% increase ($11,350) for the Jazz Concert Series and 4th of July Fireworks. The Park Hyatt has stated that if FSRC is unwilling to pay the additional monies, all FSRC owners would be denied access to the Park Hyatt for the 4th of July Fireworks show.

Due to the unbudgeted employee parking lot lease from Hyatt ($2500/per month), the board has decided that they couldn't absord the additional monies demanded by Park Hyatt. FSRC will increase their planned activites for the 4th of July and will inform all owners arriving in July that FSRC will not be sponsoring the Jazz Concert Series in 2012.

Jazz at the Park” Summer Concert Series - http://www.jazzatthepark.com/newspost/jazz-at-the-park-concert-series-returns#more-279

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Alwysonvac

I sometimes wonder what news from the BoD minutes should be posted ...and ?? what is best not. I don't have any hard & fast rules ...pretty grey area for me ... at least that is why I have not repeated these here ... sure had to bite my lip and stay quiet ( and that is hard for me at times )

Of course ALL owners should send an e-mail and request to be added to the mailing list for these ... it is important for owners to know.

I encourage Mgmt and BoD to keep some control on costs ( not easy in Calif ) and of course dealing with Broadreach (hotel & golf course owners ) & Hyatt is a test of your will. To me Broadreach & Hyatt ( who has to tow the line Broadreach says ...demanding more money in touch times ) ...well ...lets say you should count your fingers after shaking their hand.

Greg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hi Alwysonvac

I sometimes wonder what news from the BoD minutes should be posted ...and ?? what is best not. I don't have any hard & fast rules ...pretty grey area for me ... at least that is why I have not repeated these here ... sure had to bite my lip and stay quiet ( and that is hard for me at times )

I was debating whether to post it but thought it would be helpful to those planning to visit in July.
I just noticed that it's mentioned in the latest newletter as well - http://www.1.fourseasons.com/interlude/2012_M05/article_18744.html

Last edited:

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was debating whether to post it but thought it would be helpful to those planning to visit in July.
I just noticed that it's mentioned in the latest newletter as well - http://www.1.fourseasons.com/interlude/2012_M05/article_18744.html

Valid point - once in public ... fair game and useful for others to know and share - thanks

ps - going thru old book marks ( how many do I need ? ) ...came across this ...
http://www.oyster.com/san-diego/hotels/four-seasons-residence-club-aviara-north-san-diego/photos/

These are the OLD furnishings .... and lots of pic's of the studio ( no full unit? ) - but you can see the 'before' ....and compare to the after once you are there ... I think the best improvement was the glass shower curtain on the new units ... also you see the pic's of the 'dog lamps' on each side of bed ... remember most this stuff (e.g. bed posts, lamps... etc ) is for sale (see previous links) ... anyone comment on the new look ...what did you think ... would image most of Meadows is done by now ...
Greg

Love2TS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were given some interesting info by Four seasons. Since we had to exchange our FS week through II we could not get our pet dog. When I pointed out that we were owners, they were again more than happy to accommodate our furry friend.

Steve

Reaction score
We were given some interesting info by Four seasons. Since we had to exchange our FS week through II we could not get our pet dog. When I pointed out that we were owners, they were again more than happy to accommodate our furry friend.

I have exchanged into Four Seasons Aviara through II as well and had the same experience. Exchangers cannot bring their dogs...unless they are also owners. As an owner at Four Seasons, I was told I can bring my dogs regardless of whether I am staying on an owned week or an exchange week. It's great to be able to bring them to Aviara even when staying on an exchange.

Steve

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aviara on Trip Advisor

I see that Aviara has a spot on Trip Advisor ( link here )

I had asked after the split with the hotel why no Trip Advisor presence and got an odd reply ...well .. that was then ...

Under ...Carlsbad Specialty Lodging
Greg

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice this .... acknowledging the multi-milon dollar renovations are done ... but only 3 pictures ???

http://press.fourseasons.com/news-r...club-aviara-north-san-diego-unveils-new-look/

the contact person ....
Jessica M. Roach
Director of Villa Sales and Marketing
7210 Blue Heron Place
Carlsbad, CA, USA 92011
Email Jessica M. Roach
T. (760) 603-3739

A new person ?? It can not hurt to have someone work the resales on Aviara ...after appointing the new real estate agent as well ...

Also noticed that Koch Bros booked entire hotel ....
http://carlsbad.patch.com/articles/...he-weekend-for-secret-conservative-fundraiser

I have read Greg Palast ... http://www.gregpalast.com/uber-vultures-the-billionaires-who-would-pick-our-president/
Would have been nice to have been there to see the security

Greg

cjinlb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aviara exchange into II

I am curious to see if any gold Aviara owners have recently deposited into II with a studio and what has their trade value been or what did they get in exchange?

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am curious to see if any gold Aviara owners have recently deposited into II with a studio and what has their trade value been or what did they get in exchange?

Hi
this was an EXCELLENT question and one I would also like to know more about ...anyone care to add info ... or is this better asked - and answered in a new thread ??

Greg

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it was Steve asked a question a few days ago on San Diego County tax and the filing for refunds ( on another thread ) .... then guess what = the tax bills just started to roll in ...

Background - dropped by the local tax office and got the refund forms last Feb and filled them out ( along with buying 2 more ) ... was awaiting for the confirmation this summer ...never came ..called and got an answer I didn't quite understand ... so called back ...only to get the same person on the phone (busted) ... thought we would drop by this Feb if needed.

Well - here is what we see ... looks like we ( and assuming everyone else ..as I punched in some roll numbers in our range ) is re-set to approx $5,500 valuation ( for gold weeks ) ... of the 7 our lowest is $35.11 x 2 and highest is 39.59 x 2 ...

Anyone else confirm they got a reduced tax rate without filing ??
Greg

ps - just got 4 refund cheques for this year ..ranging from $20 to $130 ... for the 4 most recent weeks we bought I think ..and the biggest valuation change

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I think it was Steve asked a question a few days ago on San Diego County tax and the filing for refunds ( on another thread ) .... then guess what = the tax bills just started to roll in ...

Background - dropped by the local tax office and got the refund forms last Feb and filled them out ( along with buying 2 more ) ... was awaiting for the confirmation this summer ...never came ..called and got an answer I didn't quite understand ... so called back ...only to get the same person on the phone (busted) ... thought we would drop by this Feb if needed.

Well - here is what we see ... looks like we ( and assuming everyone else ..as I punched in some roll numbers in our range ) is re-set to approx $5,500 valuation ( for gold weeks ) ... of the 7 our lowest is $35.11 x 2 and highest is 39.59 x 2 ...

Anyone else confirm they got a reduced tax rate without filing ??
Greg

ps - just got 4 refund cheques for this year ..ranging from $20 to $130 ... for the 4 most recent weeks we bought I think ..and the biggest valuation change

Yes, I received a reduced tax rate without filing.
I just checked online and our bill for this year is $79.18 (last year was $213.40) for our two bedroom Gold week.

The net taxable value last year was $18,000 vs $5,500 this year.

Love2TS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The net taxable value last year was $18,000 vs $5,500 this year.[/QUOTE]

The taxable value for the 2 bd platinum week this year was valued at $ 10,500.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So how much should I be paying for an EOY gold week? Do I pay every year or every other year? I received my bill a few days ago and I think it was somewhere between $50 and $60.

Love2TS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So how much should I be paying for an EOY gold week? Do I pay every year or every other year? I received my bill a few days ago and I think it was somewhere between $50 and $60.

Not sure how much you would have to pay. We had to pay $125.1 for the now unit value of $10.5K.

GregGH

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the new MF's .. asked these questions ...

Could you help me answer a question on the anticipated cost of owners who default on MF's ... which category is this cost part of .. how has this budgeted costs increased from the past 4 years ... how close has the budgeted cost come to actual

Second question - it is my understanding that recent US court ruling allows vendors to charge a 'cash' price and a higher price for payment via credit cards ... at present we do our payments thru credit card as a matter of convenience - however - how might this be set up for the future .... in dealing with non-American owners and their banks ? Is Aviara set up to handle electronic payments and has anyone tested this with a Cdn bank ?? The Irony is not lost on us with Fours Seasons being a Cdn company ...eh...!

ps - MF for 2 bbd is $2359 and 1bbd is $1958 for others ... yep ... there are cheaper places ... and there are still lots of places that charge MORE ..so let the disputes of value go to a new thread - please

Greg