• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Official changes to Marriott Rewards program effective 8/18/18

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Using Marriott website, I requested points back on my pre cat 6 that would become a post cat 4. I saw a cat 6 cancellation and I have the cat 1-4 certificate. I was given any points back so I called MR customer service. I was told only 10K points would be going back to my account. I was also told it would take 3 to 5 business days. Has anyone else requested this for a 5 night package and if so how many points were returned to your account?

Thanks

I talked about this in a prior post on this thread from Wednesday. Owners who purchased a 5/7 night Travel Package (TP) for the old Category 6, Category 8, or Tier 1-3 properties have a limited time offer to request a 1 category downgrade in exchange for a refund of 30,000 MRPs per TP. If you encounter a CSR who claims there is 'no such thing' or offers you less than the 30k point refund, you need to refer them to "Knowledge Article 5995 in Engage" (which is apparently Marriott's corporate information database) where they can verify the terms of this offer for themselves. However, I have been told that this cannot be done over the phone. It has to be applied for via email https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/blogs/exclusive-news/2018/08/20/travel-packages-update.

I did receive an email in response to my request that there is a technical issue preventing it from being processed and to resubmit in 5-10 business days.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott is now starting to roll out the ability to merge your SPG and Marriott accounts. I found a link to do this when I logged in to marriott.com. (Click your name on the upper right of the screen. Now look at the bottom of the dropdown.) It merged both my elite nights and my points into one program.

I chose to keep my old Marriott account number largely because I've had it so long that it's easy to remember.

I merged both my account and then my wife's account. The process went smoothly. It merged both our elite nights and our points into the one program.

Now I have to hope that American Express gets this straight. Both my wife and I have old AmEx SPG credit cards. I want any newly earned points as well as any newly earned "free night certificates" to go into the correct account. So I did call AmEx (using the 800 number on the back of my SPG card). The rep told me that AmEx will be doing some sort of "system update" on Friday, Aug 24th in order to refresh the account number linked to the SPG card. We'll see....

Since I kept the old Marriott account numbers, this should not affect points posting from my Chase Marriott credit cards (I hope...).

Hi GetawaysRus, were you able to merge your account with your wife's account or do you both have separate accounts? If you were able to combine, how did you do this with different names on the accounts?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hi GetawaysRus, were you able to merge your account with your wife's account or do you both have separate accounts? If you were able to combine, how did you do this with different names on the accounts?
The names on the accounts must match to merge. You can't merge the accounts of two different people into one. You could merge your SPG account with your Marriott account, or your wife's SPG account with her Marriott account. You can't cross merge.

Danette

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The names on the accounts must match to merge. You can't merge the accounts of two different people into one. You could merge your SPG account with your Marriott account, or your wife's SPG account with her Marriott account. You can't cross merge.
Thanks!

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
It only took 2 phone calls and over an hour of time, but assuming I was given the correct information, the 5-night Air+Hotel packages are the SAME VALUE as before; they have not been devalued!

5-nights for Cat 1-5 plus 132,000 United miles is still the same 235,000 Reward Points as before.

This is the best deal in the world. That is only 1.78 Rewards Points per United Mile. The new 7-night travel package for Cat 1-5 and 110,000 United Miles costs 330,000 Rewards Points (more points and fewer miles), which is 3 Rewards Points per United Mile.

Even the Air-only exchange is approx 2.73 Rewards per United mile.

Long live the 5-night redemption!

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
It only took 2 phone calls and over an hour of time, but assuming I was given the correct information, the 5-night Air+Hotel packages are the SAME VALUE as before; they have not been devalued!

5-nights for Cat 1-5 plus 132,000 United miles is still the same 235,000 Reward Points as before.

This is the best deal in the world. That is only 1.78 Rewards Points per United Mile. The new 7-night travel package for Cat 1-5 and 110,000 United Miles costs 330,000 Rewards Points (more points and fewer miles), which is 3 Rewards Points per United Mile.

That's great!
Now if Marriott would only allow us Vistana TS owners to redeem for a 5 night travel package :cool:
Maybe after the sale is finalized ???

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, we'll see, but, proof would be when someone actually orders one and gets it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Did you actually try to book one to see if it go through based on the same points?

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Well, we'll see, but, proof would be when someone actually orders one and gets it.
Even in one does get one, it doesn't mean it wasn't done by mistake. Info in the other thread indicates a significant devaluation in the 5 night packages.

SMB1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Vista, Lakeshore Reserve, OceanWatch(2), Marriott Destination Points, Club Wyndham Points (Ocean Boulevard)

This would be awesome, but I'm thinking maybe you spoke with one of the reps I did the other day who really had no idea what she was talking about... or what I was talking about. I referenced the cat 6 mapping over to the cat four and she was clueless. She was still looking at the old chart. I'm thinking this is what happened here. But I hope you are 100% correct.

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to see Lifetime Points on the Marriott Rewards site post August 18th?

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to see Lifetime Points on the Marriott Rewards site post August 18th?

Mine still say 0 lifetime points which explains why my lifetime status is incorrect. I have email Marriott on this issue and they confirmed my correct LTpoints and status via email acknowledging it is in the process of being fixed on the website

MauiLover

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mine still say 0 lifetime points which explains why my lifetime status is incorrect. I have email Marriott on this issue and they confirmed my correct LTpoints and status via email acknowledging it is in the process of being fixed on the website

Where on the site did you find the lifetime points?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Where on the site did you find the lifetime points?
You can't see it on the site unless you have some type of lifetime status already. If you do have LT status, click on your name at the top and select Overview. Your LT status level will be down near the bottom. Click on that and it will show LT points. If you don't have any LT status at the moment, you can still apparently see it on the app.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't see it on the site unless you have some type of lifetime status already. If you do have LT status, click on your name at the top and select Overview. Your LT status level will be down near the bottom. Click on that and it will show LT points. If you don't have any LT status at the moment, you can still apparently see it on the app.
There are no LT points showing for me... when I click on the LT status. It only shows the number of nights and also the LT definition.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are no LT points showing for me... when I click on the LT status. It only shows the number of nights and also the LT definition.
Duh, you are right. Since LT Points don't matter any more, they no longer show that. You can't see it anymore. I was thinking of LT nights.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused because there are some that indicate they can't see where LT points is listed, some say their LT points is correct and then for me my LP points show as "0" . See pic

Attachments

• IMG_0074.PNG
    IMG_0074.PNG
    93.2 KB · Views: 136

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'm confused because there are some that indicate they can't see where LT points is listed, some say their LT points is correct and then for me my LP points show as "0" . See pic

LT points are no longer shown on the website. I think that is what people are referring to. The iPhone app still shows what you posted in the picture. Mine is the same as yours on the app, but on the regular web site, there is no line entry fro LT points any more.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I talked about this in a prior post on this thread from Wednesday. Owners who purchased a 5/7 night Travel Package (TP) for the old Category 6, Category 8, or Tier 1-3 properties have a limited time offer to request a 1 category downgrade in exchange for a refund of 30,000 MRPs per TP. If you encounter a CSR who claims there is 'no such thing' or offers you less than the 30k point refund, you need to refer them to "Knowledge Article 5995 in Engage" (which is apparently Marriott's corporate information database) where they can verify the terms of this offer for themselves. However, I have been told that this cannot be done over the phone. It has to be applied for via email https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/blogs/exclusive-news/2018/08/20/travel-packages-update.

I did receive an email in response to my request that there is a technical issue preventing it from being processed and to resubmit in 5-10 business days.

If you click on the link you provided, the link goes to a website that in turn has a link to the Marriott Website. The Marriott website has a contact form you fill out. This is the email you are referring to. In the drop down box of the contact form they had a topic of Package-Deals. This is where you are suppose to ask for the refund on the package. This topic is not longer in the drop down. What does it mean.... we will find out sooner or later.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LT points are no longer shown on the website. I think that is what people are referring to. The iPhone app still shows what you posted in the picture. Mine is the same as yours on the app, but on the regular web site, there is no line entry fro LT points any more.

Thanks, now I understand! I just checked the website and LT points field isn't there at all. I seldom use the website, use the app most of the time and didn't notice. Good to know. Thanks!

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
If you click on the link you provided, the link goes to a website that in turn has a link to the Marriott Website. The Marriott website has a contact form you fill out. This is the email you are referring to. In the drop down box of the contact form they had a topic of Package-Deals. This is where you are suppose to ask for the refund on the package. This topic is not longer in the drop down. What does it mean.... we will find out sooner or later.

I checked the page as well and you are correct. The drop down option for Packages and Deals is now gone. No idea why, but I intend to continue resubmitting an email request every 10 business days (as their original response to me instructed) until the refunded points happen. I'll just select some other option on the drop down and explain the 'real' reason for my inquiry in the comments box. I'm not going to give anyone the chance to say that I abandoned this offer by failing to continue to follow-up. With 120,000 MRPs to reclaim, it's worth the hassle.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I checked the page as well and you are correct. The drop down option for Packages and Deals is now gone. No idea why, but I intend to continue resubmitting an email request every 10 business days (as their original response to me instructed) until the refunded points happen. I'll just select some other option on the drop down and explain the 'real' reason for my inquiry in the comments box. I'm not going to give anyone the chance to say that I abandoned this offer by failing to continue to follow-up. With 120,000 MRPs to reclaim, it's worth the hassle.

I just got off the phone with the rewards desk. I referenced the Knowledge Article you referenced above and they found it. They changed my 5 night travel package from a cat 6 per 8/18 to a post 1-4 post 8/18 (Partial Package - 5 Nights Category 1-4) and returned 15K points to my account which is the difference between the old cat 5 and 6 according to the CSR. I had both a CAT 6 (250k MRP with 120K Miles) and Cat 7 (270K MRP with 120K miles) in my account pre 8/18 and the difference was 20K points. My guess is the difference between the cat 5 and 6 should have been the same 20K but I have no way of knowing so I took the 15K. My luck Marriott will reverse themselves and let pre 8/18 cats 6 & 7 become post 8/18 Cat 6 & 7 or maybe given the sharp IT department, a system glitch will allow the 6 & & to trade as in the post 8/18 world.