• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Off to Frenchmans Cove Friday

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We traded a HP week 39 for a 3BDRM FC and our trip is finally here this Friday. From all reviews the island has recovered fairly well but not entirely. The FC however seems to be back to full capacity and reviews and Facebook comments seem to suggest it is a really nice resort typical of the Marriott brand so I'm hoping it lives up to that in our minds.

I am a Maui lover and in my mind nothing can match that but so far I've never really been disappointed in any MVC so I expect we'll enjoy it. We do plan on doing some personal boating and just booked an all-day exclusion that sounds pretty amazing.

7 of the 9 3BDRMs are on the top floor so hopefully we'll get one of those but the resort itself looks really amazing. I've been told the workout facility is very nice so looking forward to that.

Invited my SIL and her family and happy to say BIL himself declined, so it's just 7 of us, our 4 and my wife's lovely twin sister and her daughter and son. I'm elated because he's a loser who acts like he's on vacation himself when he does comes. Offered him a free trip to STT and he says "Marriott resorts aren't my thing". Unbelievable but thank GOD.

This will be MVC #13 that we've visited. I'll let you know where I think FC ranks next week.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
absolutely loved FC...the view from the upper floors is extremely impressive, this was from the st john building 3br:

frenchmanview.jpg

will admit that the pool/bar view from the reef resort was much nicer as it sits up on the cliff, and you dont have to get out of the pool to get new drinks...but thats kind of nitpikcy =)

we were lucky enough to visit on a week that was not very crowded at all, but given the small size of the beach and pool chairs...i can see where that could get very crowded very quickly!

hope you have a wonderful stay! enjoy a mudslide for me! (they are half price during happy hour!)

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
absolutely loved FC...the view from the upper floors is extremely impressive, this was from the st john building 3br:

View attachment 7289

will admit that the pool/bar view from the reef resort was much nicer as it sits up on the cliff, and you dont have to get out of the pool to get new drinks...but thats kind of nitpikcy =)

we were lucky enough to visit on a week that was not very crowded at all, but given the small size of the beach and pool chairs...i can see where that could get very crowded very quickly!

hope you have a wonderful stay! enjoy a mudslide for me! (they are half price during happy hour!)
That is a great endorsement. I do wish the Marriott was open but that seems to be the one downside. Many are saying crowds have not returned so that was one of the reasons we decided to try FC.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Joe, have a great trip and enjoy St Thomas. We love that island and it is special in its own right.

I hope you can visit Magen’s Bay, Sapphire Beach, and maybe make it up to the Soggy Dollar Bar on an excursion.

It’s not Hawaii, which is my favorite, but it is an amazing place to visit. Let us know what you think!

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only 6 of the 9 3BDRM's are on the top floor. Three of them are located in the Crown Bldg and the top floor of that bldg is the lobby and checkin area. Sounds crazy to put the lobby on a high floor but you have to remember this resort is carved into a hillside. There are some things you will like better than Maui other things you won't but there is one thing you will definitely prefer over Maui, 31/2 hours non-stop from NYC. :whooopie:

Have a great trip.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
MOXJO7282, wondering how your St. Thomas trip went and if you were happy with your decision of it over Maui for this trip. How is the resort, and the island looking post hurricane?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
MOXJO7282, wondering how your St. Thomas trip went and if you were happy with your decision of it over Maui for this trip. How is the resort, and the island looking post hurricane?

Thanks for asking. In spite of some misfortune for me it was a very nice trip. I knew it would never match Maui because nothing does for us but it was a chance to share a vacation with my wonderful SIL and her kids and it fulfilled that extremely well.

They had an absolute blast hanging out for the whole week without her PIA husband around. My SIL and wife were the most impressed with the resort and pool/ocean setting. They thought the ocean scenery with the island backdrop absolutely beautiful. I don't think I've seen my SIL so relaxed and enjoying herself so much. My family adores this woman and she brings so much positive light into out lives it really was the best part of the trip for me to see her enjoy herself so much.

Unfortunately for me I dropped a dumbbell on my foot and broke a toe the second night at FC so I was hobbled for the entire week and really couldn't do as much as I would've liked because it was difficult to walk on it at all for the first few days so I was driver for the most part and just hung by the pool and ocean and drank "Painkillers" to take the edge off as soon as my driving assignments were over and it actually did help because when I first did it it was bad and still is. I'm sure I broke it but its not displaced so nothing really to do anyway but grin and bear it.

My wife also wasn't feeling great so we didn't make any boat excursions because of my foot and her illness but still enjoyed 2 nice beaches later in the week, Magen's Bay and Coki's. Both really beautiful and extremely family friendly.

Here is my PROs/CONs list;

Pros;

- Nice proximity to airport. I love landing and getting to the resort without driving too far. The FC is like 20 minutes.

- Loved our 3BDRM 2nd floor Crown Bldg unit. Would've loved one of the other 3BDRMs because they were top floor and closer to the pool/ocean but we still had an amazing view from room.

- Infinity Pool area very nice with ample seating. This was off-season so to speak so not sure if this is a problem at other times but for us we always found seats in the shade by the pool.

- Beautiful ocean setting. We all thought it was really nice having the ocean so close to the pool and what a beautiful setting looking out to the water and the rest of the island.

- Gym was good. Although I missed out on using it extensively like I would've, it was still a very good workout facility. Later in the week I could at least do upper body and ride the exercise bike. They had the first bikes that I've seen where you can use Netflix on the TV screen. They had a link and you just had to sign into your account and you were connected as if you were in your house. Also they had a nice sauna and steam room which I love.

- Weather was surprisingly temperate. We expected HHI and So Fla hot and humid but were surprised it was only moderately hot and not really that humid.
- Very good snorkeling at both the resort and at Coki Beach

Cons;
- Groceries stores left a lot to be desired. Pueblo's and the Fruit Bowl were pretty old and dirty. The Pueblo parking lot was like driving on the back side of the Road to Hana. We did find a Moe's supermarket that was much better and Kmart actually had food products so it wasn't a huge deal but if you're someone who buys meats and vegetables locally it is definitely not what you would experience in the 50 states. You may want to do what we did which was bring a cooler of frozen meats and seafood. I saw the recommendation on Facebook and decided to try it and boy glad we did. Eating out for 7 would've been expensive and it was nice to have dinners that were really delicious.
- No ability to walk from the resort to other resorts or restaurants. This is very limited especially with the Marriott hotel closed next door.
- We didn't get our room until 4:45pm. This is the first time this has happened to us. We weren't the only ones so not sure if this is a pattern at FC. Not a huge deal and they did give us snacks and beverages from the market and paid for my SIL cab from the airport to make up for the inconvenience.
- The restaurant on-site wasn't very good. We weren't expecting too much but it didn't even meet the standard Marriott fare so that was disappointing.
- The elevators were a hassle especially for me with my toe problem. It really wouldn't have been a big deal for someone who is mobile in my opinion but for anyone who is limited I'd view it as a real con. Plus later in the week the middle one kept going out of service so that made for even more effort to get to the pool.

Overall considering my injury it was a very nice vacation. Not sure if we'll make it back anytime soon but I wouldn't rule it out if another 3BDRM came around for a HP gold week. I could however see myself buying a unit a few years from now when we have more time to travel because if I had a good chance of getting a nice 2 bdrm close to the beach that would be a very nice vacation as the resort and the pool and ocean is one of the nicest setting we've experienced... not counting Maui.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
MOXJ07282,
Thanks for the helpful review. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who breaks something with a dumbbell while on vacation. I broke my thumb several years ago on a cruise on the Norway when it rolled during heavy seas. I also look forward to my workouts while on vacation so I can enjoy food and beverages without guilt. Most MVC resorts have pretty good fitness facilities, with the exception of those I've visited on Hilton Head (Grand Oceane, Harbour Club, Sunset Pointe). I hope you are feeling better and able to resume your full workouts soon. (I also have a PIA BIL, but thankfully haven't been pressured to invite him on our vacations.)

Bill4728

Reaction score
Any word on the hotel next door? when might it reopen ect

TIA

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Frenchman’s cove in April and we were told the reef might open December 2019.
There was no signs of construction from what we could see at a distance.

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at Frenchman’s cove in April and we were told the reef might open December 2019.
There was no signs of construction from what we could see at a distance.
Same here. We were there in beginning of June and no signs of any movement. There were still towels hanging off of balconies and out from the storm shutters. From the information I got from the staff, they're still going through the insurance motions.

I wouldn't hold my breath for it to reopen - it was in terrible shape. Parts of the roof, balconies, and siding missing. I can only imagine what's happening inside the actual structure itself, with the likely mold growth, infestations, and potential structural compromises. A tear down or complete gut renovation seems most likely, but not anytime soon.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
shame to hear about the on site bar/grille...while i wouldnt have called it 5star...it was perfect for daily lunch. wonder if things changed that much after the storm :(

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
shame to hear about the on site bar/grille...while i wouldnt have called it 5star...it was perfect for daily lunch. wonder if things changed that much after the storm :(
I found the grill/bar are next to the pool to be very nice in June. Much better than the poolside eateries at the Surf Club in Aruba, although you're bound for disappointment if you expect a 5-star experience, as you said.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mtn Valley Breckenridge, Grand Crown Resort RCI Points
My buddy worked with the sales department down there and I visited him a few times. It was awesome. I love how the iguanas were just walking around. hahahaha. The pool is beautiful. Megan's Bay is really nice. Did you have time to make it up the mountain to the daq shack?

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Thanks for asking. In spite of some misfortune for me it was a very nice trip. I knew it would never match Maui because nothing does for us but it was a chance to share a vacation with my wonderful SIL and her kids and it fulfilled that extremely well.

They had an absolute blast hanging out for the whole week without her PIA husband around. My SIL and wife were the most impressed with the resort and pool/ocean setting. They thought the ocean scenery with the island backdrop absolutely beautiful. I don't think I've seen my SIL so relaxed and enjoying herself so much. My family adores this woman and she brings so much positive light into out lives it really was the best part of the trip for me to see her enjoy herself so much.

Unfortunately for me I dropped a dumbbell on my foot and broke a toe the second night at FC so I was hobbled for the entire week and really couldn't do as much as I would've liked because it was difficult to walk on it at all for the first few days so I was driver for the most part and just hung by the pool and ocean and drank "Painkillers" to take the edge off as soon as my driving assignments were over and it actually did help because when I first did it it was bad and still is. I'm sure I broke it but its not displaced so nothing really to do anyway but grin and bear it.

My wife also wasn't feeling great so we didn't make any boat excursions because of my foot and her illness but still enjoyed 2 nice beaches later in the week, Magen's Bay and Coki's. Both really beautiful and extremely family friendly.

Here is my PROs/CONs list;

Pros;

- Nice proximity to airport. I love landing and getting to the resort without driving too far. The FC is like 20 minutes.

- Loved our 3BDRM 2nd floor Crown Bldg unit. Would've loved one of the other 3BDRMs because they were top floor and closer to the pool/ocean but we still had an amazing view from room.

- Infinity Pool area very nice with ample seating. This was off-season so to speak so not sure if this is a problem at other times but for us we always found seats in the shade by the pool.

- Beautiful ocean setting. We all thought it was really nice having the ocean so close to the pool and what a beautiful setting looking out to the water and the rest of the island.

- Gym was good. Although I missed out on using it extensively like I would've, it was still a very good workout facility. Later in the week I could at least do upper body and ride the exercise bike. They had the first bikes that I've seen where you can use Netflix on the TV screen. They had a link and you just had to sign into your account and you were connected as if you were in your house. Also they had a nice sauna and steam room which I love.

- Weather was surprisingly temperate. We expected HHI and So Fla hot and humid but were surprised it was only moderately hot and not really that humid.
- Very good snorkeling at both the resort and at Coki Beach

Cons;
- Groceries stores left a lot to be desired. Pueblo's and the Fruit Bowl were pretty old and dirty. The Pueblo parking lot was like driving on the back side of the Road to Hana. We did find a Moe's supermarket that was much better and Kmart actually had food products so it wasn't a huge deal but if you're someone who buys meats and vegetables locally it is definitely not what you would experience in the 50 states. You may want to do what we did which was bring a cooler of frozen meats and seafood. I saw the recommendation on Facebook and decided to try it and boy glad we did. Eating out for 7 would've been expensive and it was nice to have dinners that were really delicious.
- No ability to walk from the resort to other resorts or restaurants. This is very limited especially with the Marriott hotel closed next door.
- We didn't get our room until 4:45pm. This is the first time this has happened to us. We weren't the only ones so not sure if this is a pattern at FC. Not a huge deal and they did give us snacks and beverages from the market and paid for my SIL cab from the airport to make up for the inconvenience.
- The restaurant on-site wasn't very good. We weren't expecting too much but it didn't even meet the standard Marriott fare so that was disappointing.
- The elevators were a hassle especially for me with my toe problem. It really wouldn't have been a big deal for someone who is mobile in my opinion but for anyone who is limited I'd view it as a real con. Plus later in the week the middle one kept going out of service so that made for even more effort to get to the pool.

Overall considering my injury it was a very nice vacation. Not sure if we'll make it back anytime soon but I wouldn't rule it out if another 3BDRM came around for a HP gold week. I could however see myself buying a unit a few years from now when we have more time to travel because if I had a good chance of getting a nice 2 bdrm close to the beach that would be a very nice vacation as the resort and the pool and ocean is one of the nicest setting we've experienced... not counting Maui.

Great review! I’m heading there in August for the first time. Got a great deal on a Getaway through II. $672 for the week!!! Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great review! I’m heading there in August for the first time. Got a great deal on a Getaway through II. $672 for the week!!! Can’t wait!

Wow!! That is a crazy value. I'm going to have to start looking for those.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Wow!! That is a crazy value. I'm going to have to start looking for those.

Yes I’m addicted to searching there. I also use the alerts on the app.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you do with driving?

We rented a car when we were there in April.
First trip to St. Thomas so I don’t know how it was before.
The member of our party that drove said it was weird at first, but got used to it fast.
The roads are hilly and not in great shape in terms of pot holes, etc.
Some lights are out, many road signs are missing.
But the speed limit is low and there wasn’t much traffic/ congestion when we were there.

My advice is to bring a gps of some sort (phone if you have service) to help with the lack of street signs.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How did you do with driving?
It was much to do about nothing. The only time I had a little problem was in parking lots where I ended up on the wrong side. One good point made is how hilly the islands are. I got a 4 wheel drive because I need a 7 passenger vehicle but realized a regular car would struggle up some of those hills so I'd recommend anyone going to get a 4 wheel of some kind.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
we tried to venture into the "sales" district (not the one where the cruise ships are) and wound up getting lost one day. there are some RIDICULOUSLY steep roads on that island...at one point i honestly thought we were simply going to slide down the hill as it had started to rain.

either way, that cured us of our desire to wander around the islands interior and we stuck to the views of the coastline and the resort.

we had a small car (some 4 door compact IIRC)...i was originally worried about the driving on the wrong side thing, but it didnt take more than a few minutes to ease into it and follow traffic (the intersections/merges took more getting used to)...but the route from the airport to the cove is super easy and driver friendly IMO.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
My husband drove us up to paradise point in a Hyundai Elantra and up and over every hill. He's a rockstar when it comes to driving. Scared the pants outta me.

Paradise Point was a spectacular view.....but I am afraid of heights. No way you would get me in a gondola up there. It was a white knuckle drive for me!

The road was intensionally made bumpy for traction. Quite the experience.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey related question on FC. Can someone provide details on Maintenance fees? They seem to be extremely high, is there a one time special assessment included.? I was considering a purchase but then saw the MFs are in the $2400 range which is every higher than Maui

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Hey related question on FC. Can someone provide details on Maintenance fees? They seem to be extremely high, is there a one time special assessment included.? I was considering a purchase but then saw the MFs are in the $2400 range which is every higher than Maui

Per StevenTing's MF XLS (link below), it appears MFs in 2018 were a little less than $500 higher than 2017. I have to imagine that is tied to a one time special assessment based on the hurricane last year. But, an owner would need to confirm.
  1. Historical Marriott Maintenance Fees and DC Point Conversions spreadsheet.
Also see Post #68 in the 2018 MF thread.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score

The first years MFs were about $750 in 2007. Then they climbed as the developer subsidy decreased. In 2016 they were about $1725, 2017 $1875 and this year they should have been about $2025 or so but they were about $2400 because of the hurricanes. Keep in mind that the taxes are separate and they are about $170 on week 51, 52 and 7 and about $150 on the regular plat weeks.