• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Odd call from Mexico City

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an add call from a gentleman explaining that he was with an agency of the Mexican Government involved with timeshare rental and resale fraud/ drug cartels. Very well spoken and tole me that he got my information from some of the folks involved in this type of fraud. He asked for nothing and explained that my name was now on a list making it more difficult to purchase property or timeshares in Mexico.
Anyone else receiving this type of call?
Is this likely just a new scam? Since he asked for nothing, I'm not sure what the scam would be.
Thanks.
Guy

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Could be that he is just collecting "live" numbers to sell to telephone solicitors.

Chances are that you will get a follow up call with the offer - perhaps many calls.

I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number - if this call was to your cell phone, you should block the number.

You should google the number to see if it is on any scam caller lists.

drguy

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could be that he is just collecting "live" numbers to sell to telephone solicitors.

Chances are that you will get a follow up call with the offer - perhaps many calls.

I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number - if this call was to your cell phone, you should block the number.

You should google the number to see if it is on any scam caller lists.

The number is a Mexican number, so the usual scam caller lists don't pull it up. Haven't found an effective list for Mexico yet.
I have a message into Vida for their interpretation of the call as well.

+52-5585263088

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just received an add call from a gentleman explaining that he was with an agency of the Mexican Government involved with timeshare rental and resale fraud/ drug cartels. Very well spoken and tole me that he got my information from some of the folks involved in this type of fraud. He asked for nothing and explained that my name was now on a list making it more difficult to purchase property or timeshares in Mexico.
Anyone else receiving this type of call?
Is this likely just a new scam? Since he asked for nothing, I'm not sure what the scam would be.
Thanks.
Guy

Interesting--and very suspicious of course. In particular, "...he got my information from some of the folks involved in this type of fraud..." (Who? Victims or authorities?) as well as, "He asked for nothing and explained that my name was now on a list making it more difficult to purchase property or timeshares in Mexico"
What does that mean?

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
Keep in mind also, that if you know the right tricks you can spoof your caller id information. May be in Mexico. May be in New Delhi. May be in Fresno. Did you call the number back?

GeorgeB

Reaction score
Definitely a scam. This is the initial phone call setting you up.

Think about how they got your name and number.

The only ORIGINAL source of resort member information is your resort AND only YOUR RESORT!

All the resorts in Mexico are loosey-goosey with their database security.
AKA NO membership list SECURITY exists. The resorts will deny this, of course.

This is a violation of Mexico's Privacy Law and can be enforced against offending resorts if damages of a member occur because of a security breach or fraudulent sales presentation.

If you got ripped off, the resorts will blame it on you. If you got lied to and believed those lies in the sales presentation, well that's your fault too.

This is ABSOLUTE NONSENSE! It all started with the resorts themselves.

Mexico has similar consumer protection laws as the USA and will enforce those laws if the victims present their case to them.

[Deleted - if you have info. to share - please share it openly in the forums. If you are soliciting - that is not permitted on TUG.]

Last edited by a moderator:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only ORIGINAL source of resort member information is your resort AND only YOUR RESORT!

Not necessarily. This has been discussed a few times here on TUG. It is also possible that names and numbers have been leaked by employees at the various exchange companies such as RCI.

Regardless, this scam, sadly, is still proliferating so watch out for those scam phone calls.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Not necessarily. This has been discussed a few times here on TUG. It is also possible that names and numbers have been leaked by employees at the various exchange companies such as RCI.

Regardless, this scam, sadly, is still proliferating so watch out for those scam phone calls.

Am I the only one who screens calls?

rpennisi

Reaction score
Nomorobo (hope I got that correct) stops mostly all automated calls at one ring.
The ones that get through, I only answer if I recognize the caller.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

I don't have any stats to back this up but it certainly seems like a majority of these scams pertain to Mexican timeshares. That would lead me to believe rogue employees at these resorts are pilfering owner lists and selling them.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
These scams happen frequently all over the place. Florida seems to be a hotbed of scam calling centers for the U.S., so it's not necessarily predominantly MX.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
How do I get placed on the list that makes it difficult to buy Mexican timeshares? Will Vidanta then leave me alone at the TS presentations?

Okay, wishful thinking, I know.

And I love taking telemarketer calls. Especially the ones from India offering to clean my ducks. Do they clean all the feathers? Do they clean the cages or just the ducks. Why do they clean air ducks; wouldn't it be easier to clean them on the ground?...

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How do I get placed on the list that makes it difficult to buy Mexican timeshares? Will Vidanta then leave me alone at the TS presentations?

Okay, wishful thinking, I know.

And I love taking telemarketer calls. Especially the ones from India offering to clean my ducks. Do they clean all the feathers? Do they clean the cages or just the ducks. Why do they clean air ducks; wouldn't it be easier to clean them on the ground?...
Why a duck? Why a duck? Why not a chicken?