TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Occupancy Limits

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by goaline3, Jun 16, 2017.

1. goaline3

goaline3 Guest

Do HGVC resorts strictly enforce occupancy limits? I have some young kids and 1 bedrooms would typically work for us, but don't want to get somewhere and not be let in....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Maverick1963

Maverick1963 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Flamingo
    Goaline3, this is an old question. It's not Hilton but law that sets the limit.
    I will bet that some did not observe it. It's said you may have to go out immediately,
    once Hilton finds occupancy limit is broken. No one here recommend that you should
    stay in one bedroom with your family.

3. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

SOME young kids? Is that what you put down in your 1040 Income Tax return?

I have resort where a STUDIO allows 2 people and another resort which allows 4 people. If you are booking stay or buying, call the resort first.

4. Jason245

Jason245 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

As part of your reservation agreement you have to indicate how many people are going to be In the room (that includes babies). Exceed that limit and you run the risk of being evicted. You may get away with it some times and you may get kicked out mid stay(or even refused a key entirely ) with your points for that stay being forfeit.

Being "homeless" on a vacation might be a fun family story you and the family can talk about for years. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. Helios

Helios TUG Member

Out of curiosity, how often do people get kicked out?

I am at the point that I need to get two rooms at hotels or two bedroom units, which is perfectly fine. The days of getting rooms with two double beds are gone. My problem is that we have a 15 yr old girl and 11 yr old boy. They don't want to be in the same room. So, we have the option of forcing them to sleep toghether or have a boys and girls rooms.

6. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    HGVC does not have hall monitors who watch how many peep come+go.
    Unless you displayed your crew at check-in, you prolly could get away with it.
    However, noisy neighbors may complain about the racket your rug-rats create.

7. Jason245

I have gotten 2br units that have 1 king in 1 room and 2 queens or double beds in another and of course sofa bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. Maverick1963

Maverick1963 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Flamingo
    I thought some incidents were reported at this BBS. Maybe I am wrong. And I would say very few.
    But as I have seen responses to this occupancy limit question, some are easy-going and others are very strict.
    Neighbors may report their findings to the front desk. Personally I do not want to spend my vacation, facing
    any risk of losing my accommodation.

Here is a excerpt from the club rule and you could notice that HGVC denies its responsibility to check the status of guests
    or they say they are not counting the number of guests because it's your responsibility.

Occupancy Restrictions. Each resort
    establishes occupancy restrictions for specific
    accommodations. Information concerning
    the recommended and maximum number
    of occupants per unit type, available checkin
    days and restrictions on the minimum
    number of nights per reservation is available
    at club.hiltongrandvacations.com. Failure to
    abide by occupancy restrictions may result
    in additional charges or denial of access.
    Subject to applicable law, no pets, other
    than service animals, are allowed at Affiliated
    Resorts managed by Hilton Grand Vacations
    Management, LLC. Affiliated Resorts are
    private property. As such, the Club reserves
    the right to restrict access to any persons;
    however, the Club has no obligation, duty
    or other requirement to screen or otherwise
    confirm the status of guests or prospective
    guests.

Hsahota1 likes this.
  9. jestme

jestme Guest

Unless you get ridiculous with the people count, it isn't the law. The same studios from an HGVC resort is also as hotel rooms on Hilton.com, and the ones with 2 double beds can have 4 people. A number of resorts don't have elevator issues, so that can't be a problem, and

10. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

It may not be the law, but a resort can still enforce it. Trying to fight it, saying it's not law won't get you far.

Put it this way. A resort, hotel, etc., has the right to have an occupancy limit. They also have the right to enforce it. Whether they do, or not, may depend on a lot of factors. Personally, I wouldn't try to push it.

Interesting article from a few years back:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062803390.html

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  11. vacationhopeful

vacationhopeful TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I have occupancy limits in my DAY JOB. It is the state FIRE CODE which controls what that number is. In my state, it begins with the square foot of the sleeping area. I have 2 bdr units with 3 person limit. And I have 2bdr units with 4 persons.

And there is NO WAY I am going to sign a contract for MORE people to be on the lease than that state fire code allows.

12. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    There are a few places that give out wristbands for pool access. Kings' Land does this. You can only get a band for the maximum amount of people ALLOWED in the unit.

So do you not let someone in your party use the pool complex?

I wouldn't want to get all the way to Hawaii and find out I could not stay OR that we could not all use the pool.

There is always someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them. If an infant only I am likely OK with, as they are not tasking the pool and infrastructure the resort has in place by having more people than expected. But I have had a neighbor who would pack 8 kids with air mattresses on the floor in a room that the occupancy limit was 2, and demand access to all the facilities for everyone too.

13. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
  14. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    For wristband limits (not that I endorse this), take turns at the pool.
    Showing up with your entire entourage in the lobby is not a good idea.
    It only takes one slip-up (or complaint) to end up on the street.

15. Jason245

16. Libbyelsie

Libbyelsie Guest

I attended a timeshare presentation last Monday and bought a one-week platinum studio in Las Vegas. I asked the seller several times about the fact that we have 2 kids, and would 4 people be allowed in a studio? She assured me it would be fine!

Looking through the documents more closely afterwards, I found that the occupancy limit was 2 people in a studio, so my family would never be allowed to legally stay in the timeshare together without paying for an upgrade. I started looking around, found this forum, and was fortunate to send the rescission paperwork in time!

Thank you all!

17. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    Congratulations on rescinding in time!
    HGVC is a good TS system - very flexible and generally, consumer-friendly,
    But its sales-weasels are like lying dogs everywhere. Don't believe a word.
    Buying resale saves you a ton of $$, and you can bypass these clowns.

18. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    I have been in a Studio in the Elara and the Flamingo in Las Vegas and I could see squeezing 4 people in that room for a few nights using the sofa bed, however, I have been in the Studio in the Lagoon Tower and there isn't even a sofa bed and I wouldn't think of trying to put more than two people in that room. In fact I was in the Penthouse 2471 room one time and I wouldn't even put 2 people in that room again.

19. jestme

jestme Guest

One of the two layouts for studios in the Lagoon has a king, it's the one right next to the elevator,the other layout across the hall has two 'doubles'.

20. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
    That is true. However, I must throw out some personal experiences and current preferences. First of all I am 5'3 and 120 pounds and my husband is 6'0" and 175 pounds so we are not large people. My husband and I met in 1975. We were both married before, and after a short time dating we started to live together. We were so enamored with each other that we could sleep together in a single twin bed and be happy. After we got married we sleep in a double bed that I had from my first marriage and were very happy for a number of years. Finally we decided to upgrade to a Queen Bed to give us more room and it felt like the bed was huge. As the years went by the Queen Bed doesn't seem quite as big. When we vacation we desire a King Bed to have a very comfortable sleep together.

To summarize, we no longer would consider two double beds as sufficient bedding for 4 people! I guess HGVC agrees.