• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oahu timeshares?

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering a trip to Hawaii in August of 2020. Which (if any) timeshares on Oahu would be good (through RCI) and how difficult are they to get?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
What do you like to do? What quality of timeshare do you like to stay? Are you going to rent a car?

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I am considering a trip to Hawaii in August of 2020. Which (if any) timeshares on Oahu would be good (through RCI) and how difficult are they to get?

I never see anything in Oahu I like in RCI when I use Worldmark as a trader. I usually see the Lifetime in Hawaii tower, Royal Hawaian tower and the Banyan Club tower in Honolulu as possible exchanges in RCI. I'm not a big fan of Honolulu.

RCI sells more extra vacations than they offer for exchanges regarding my exchange opportunities.

Bill

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
The Hilton Hawaiian Village properties are available through RCI, though you have to have prime trading power to get them. HHV is a mega resort, with eight different hotel and timeshare towers on property. We've enjoyed it during the two visits we've made there. It's in Waikiki, though a bit removed from the center of the action. Even so, it's a pleasant walk of less than a mile to get to the shopping district and Waikiki Beach.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree, Oahu is very difficult to get. If you travel after school starts, you might have a chance. Otherwise, look at the outer islands. If you get an offer on Oahu, take it and don’t expect to pick the best timeshare. Hilton has the best Timeshare’s through RCI, but those will get booked by Hilton members unless they open a new building that has lots of units and they will try to sell you one if you take that trade.

mmthomas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can sometimes find lifetime in hawaii through rci in the period between thanksgiving and christmas.

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. This is very preliminary so far - I have been wanting to go to Hawaii for years but it is just so far…

Anyway, we would probably stay two weeks and I was thinking Oahu might be a good place to do some sight-seeing etc. As we are tied to the school calendar we'd have to go in August (though in much of the US school has already started then so it might be better than June/July).

Obviously, I would prefer a nicer timeshare but would be open to one that isn't top quality as long as it has something special about it. I probably wouldn't rent a car; as far as what we like to do I would look for a nice mix (e.g. some beach time, some sight-seeing etc.).

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There is a week in August that is a Japanese Obon holiday, you are going to have a difficult time if you want that week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Decide what's important to you. If it's quality and location both, then pick the best and leave out the rest. For us we want both so we'd consider Aulani, Hilton's and possibly Royal Garden options. There are a few others I'd consider if I really wanted Oahu including the Wyndham which has been rated higher previously than it is currently. Lot's of decent but not great places in the Waikiki area, you might be a location rather than a quality type of person. For II I'd add a couple. You might try through SFX or one of the other private exchange companies which might give you access to other options and additional inventory.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Any of the Hilton’s, Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk and Imperial (good location in the Beachwalk area) and Royal Garden.

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
After you've made peace with the RCI exchange fee (currently $239) and resort fees Hilton charges to exchanges (~$25/day), Hilton's Waikiki timeshares are very good options.

Hilton Hawaiian Village has Lagoon Tower, Kalia Suites, Grand Waikikian and The Grand Islander, while the Waikiki Beach Walk area has Hokulani. More information about each resort here: https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/hawaii-oahu

The key to getting an exchange in the summer at the Hilton resorts in Waikiki is to plan way in advance and put in an Ongoing Search in RCI two years from your intended week. You will very rarely (maybe never) see a Hilton Waikiki summer week just sitting in open inventory. The prime weeks are taken by ongoing searches. I put in an ongoing search two years from my requested range of summer weeks. I got a match nine months after I put in my request, about fifteen months ahead of my confirmed week in the Lagoon Tower.

You really have to put in the time and effort for difficult exchanges. Some may find that kind of vacation planning a bit extreme, but it worked for us.

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked timeshares sort of late ( by tug standards ) for my son's wedding. I had 2 units at sweetwater and 2 units atRAVC. Sweetwater is closer to the beach and had NO parking fees. RAVC is several blocks from the beach and the unit was nicely refurbished but absolutely no views. The fees I believe were about $120...parking plus taxes etc for the week at ravc. Hilton is nice that it is on the beach, nice to have restaurants and shopping on site. We did not bother with a car when we stayed at the hilton. We did rent for one day...there is an enterprise location across the street.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I owned timeshares on Oahu and Kauai for a long time. I can say if you want high quality, (Hilton and such), you're limited in your choices, and things around them will be very crowded at the height of summer. As others have said, getting an exchange will be tough. If you expect to do any sightseeing around Oahu, you'll need to either rent a car, or ride a tour bus. Public transportation on Oahu is very incomplete, and hard to manage outside the city. (The best views are outside of Honolulu.) I prefer to drive myself, so I can stop where and when I want.

Having said all that, if this is your first trip to Hawaii, I'd suggest you get the timeshare exchange to another island for the "vacation" part of your trip, and rent a hotel room on Oahu for a few nights before or after. You can sightsee the high points of Oahu in a few days via tour bus, and then concentrate your major beach time on one of the other islands. If you want nice, relatively uncrowded beaches, try Kauai. Maui beaches in August will be as crowded as Oahu beaches, and the Big Island doesn't have many sandy beaches at all. Definitely try Kauai.

Dave

Kapolei

Reaction score
Koolina Marriott is best on Oahu. But that doesn’t answer your question because trades through II.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Thanks for the replies so far. This is very preliminary so far - I have been wanting to go to Hawaii for years but it is just so far…

Anyway, we would probably stay two weeks and I was thinking Oahu might be a good place to do some sight-seeing etc. As we are tied to the school calendar we'd have to go in August (though in much of the US school has already started then so it might be better than June/July).

Obviously, I would prefer a nicer timeshare but would be open to one that isn't top quality as long as it has something special about it. I probably wouldn't rent a car; as far as what we like to do I would look for a nice mix (e.g. some beach time, some sight-seeing etc.).

I owned timeshares on Oahu and Kauai for a long time. I can say if you want high quality, (Hilton and such), you're limited in your choices, and things around them will be very crowded at the height of summer. As others have said, getting an exchange will be tough. If you expect to do any sightseeing around Oahu, you'll need to either rent a car, or ride a tour bus. Public transportation on Oahu is very incomplete, and hard to manage outside the city. (The best views are outside of Honolulu.) I prefer to drive myself, so I can stop where and when I want.

Having said all that, if this is your first trip to Hawaii, I'd suggest you get the timeshare exchange to another island for the "vacation" part of your trip, and rent a hotel room on Oahu for a few nights before or after. You can sightsee the high points of Oahu in a few days via tour bus, and then concentrate your major beach time on one of the other islands. If you want nice, relatively uncrowded beaches, try Kauai. Maui beaches in August will be as crowded as Oahu beaches, and the Big Island doesn't have many sandy beaches at all. Definitely try Kauai.

Dave

I agree with Dave. What sight-seeing would you like to do? On Oahu, Pearl Harbor can take a couple of days depending on how interested you are; the Polynesian Cultural Center can take a day; a drive to the North Shore to see surfing beaches, with a stop at the Dole Pineapple Plantation, is another day. If you have two weeks, then you have time to visit another island. Kauai is the best for beaches; the Big Island has a few beaches but also has Volcano National Park, zip lining, and snorkeling as well as scenic drives. What do you envision when you think about Hawaii as a vacation destination?

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest just renting a house or condo and not staying in a timeshare. That way, you can choose the exact area you want to stay in.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
In Oahu a Senior or retired Military can get an all day Bus Pass for $2.00.

DRIless

Reaction score
[As you know, advertising is not permitted in the discussion forums.]

Last edited by a moderator:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score

You will need a car if you go outer island. Even Oahu will require a car for a couple days. But staying in Waikiki has high fees for parking. So, if you stay in Waikiki, just rent by the day.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
There's a hotel in Honolulu near the Hilton that's exclusively for veterans, rate determined by your former rank or something like that.

We stayed at Marriott Ko Olina and had a car but also spent a few days in the Marriott hotel on Kalakaua Ave in Waikiki, no car, and took a round - the - island van tour. All worked out fine tho' traffic is dreadful just about everywhere.

DRIless

Reaction score
There's a hotel in Honolulu near the Hilton that's exclusively for veterans, rate determined by your former rank or something like that.
I'm a Veteran and I have stayed there but I think the requirements are active duty or retired, not 'just' Veteran. There's a difference. You may know better than I.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I stay at the Hale Koa regularly, and will stay there again next year. As a Retired Navy Vet, I am among the eligible. If someone just served a military term but did not retire, or is not a Department of Defense (DOD) employee, my understanding is that they are not eligible to stay there. The link Dean posted above is helpful, as the first thing they'll want to confirm is which "class" of eligible veteran you are. That determines the rates you pay to stay there.

The Hale Koa was originally built during the Viet Nam era as a military R&R hotel, and it continues today as a vibrant, excellent place for military and their families to vacation. Even though it is owned and operated by the U.S. Government, it is self-sustaining, and does not receive DOD funds or taxpayer dollars to support itself.

One thing to note about the facility, is their "beach bar" area is open to the public. As you walk down the boardwalk along the beach, it is right there, adjacent to the HHV facility, and is on a nice stretch of beachfront. A very comfortable place to relax on a sunny day.

Dave

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
In Oahu a Senior or retired Military can get an all day Bus Pass for $2.00.
That is great for a short stay. You need a medicare card for the Senior, IOahu has great bus service that we use all the time. It is also the island that we love the best for long stays. We have been to all 6 islands that you can go to and if you want or need to have a car they are all great and we love going back to all of them for short stays. However, for the length of time that we stay we love Honolulu and have been getting the monthly Senior Bus Pass for $6/month. Since we are going to be extending our stays to 6 months or more, we have now gotten the annual Senior Bus Pass for $35/year.