• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Notarized deed

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

We are in the process of buying a West 57th contract. The closing agent has indicated that we as buyers may need to get the deed notarized at the US embassy.

In the past when we have bought a timeshare the buyers shouldn’t get the deed notarized only the sellers should.

Now NYC may be different but do anyone know if buyers in nyc should get the deed notarized or not?

Regards.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
AFAIK, in NY, only the seller signs and notarizes the deed.
Their advice is either generic or related to mortgages.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, in NY, only the seller signs and notarizes the deed.
Their advice is either generic or related to mortgages.
Thanks. I have asked them to clarify if we as buyers need to get the deed notarized or not.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Btw, just as an aside, the closing process for NY and real estate is a bit more complex than in many other places. Hopefully there’s a specific closing company out there that can help facilitate the closing (I can’t recall if both parties need to be present for a closing in NY - I know when I bought my house we were both there - just don’t remember if it was a requirement or not).

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can’t recall if both parties need to be present for a closing in NY
You don't need to be there. However, you do need a lawyer licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction (I assume NYC in the case of West 57th) and he or she will give you the necessary paperwork to act on your behalf. I've always made it to my NY closings...but I always sign the power-of-attorney-ish document so the closing can move forward if for some reason I can't attend.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't need to be there. However, you do need a lawyer licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction (I assume NYC in the case of West 57th) and he or she will give you the necessary paperwork to act on your behalf. I've always made it to my NY closings...but I always sign the power-of-attorney-ish document so the closing can move forward if for some reason I can't attend.

You think as a lawyer licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction I would know that...lol.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Btw, just as an aside, the closing process for NY and real estate is a bit more complex than in many other places. Hopefully there’s a specific closing company out there that can help facilitate the closing (I can’t recall if both parties need to be present for a closing in NY - I know when I bought my house we were both there - just don’t remember if it was a requirement or not).

I was going to say that the process of recording a deed in NY is more complex than elsewhere.
There are forms with buyer-information that need to go with the deed (so they want you there).
If the closing agent is adept at doing this, they should be possible to provide them in advance.
Don't be surprised if they ask for a limited POA (which may need to be notarized) for that purpose.

Last edited:

jestme

Reaction score
We live in Canada, and when we bought, we added our sons (who were not with us) to the deed so they could use it without paying guest fees, or Open Season. We had to go to the US Embassy and get things notarized with their signatures. The OP is from Denmark, it may be an international requirement.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...We had to go to the US Embassy and get things notarized with their signatures...

"Things" refer to the closing statement, a NY property transfer form, and/or a POA to complete/correct the docs.
... NY doesn't care where the buyer is located, only that they get their forms.
The parties may complete these docs by mail, but a limited POA may be requested to correct any defects.

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Disney next week and assuming all the paper work is in order by then, couldn't we just go get them notarized while there? - if so any suggestions where to get it done in orlando/disney ?

There have been no mentioning of a POA so my guesstimate is that its not required.

So unless NYC is "special" I hope that I dont need to get the deed notarized as a buyer.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
We are going to Disney next week and assuming all the paper work is in order by then, couldn't we just go get them notarized while there? - if so any suggestions where to get it done in orlando/disney?

Notaries in Florida are like fleas. You can even look 'em up on Yelp.

The UPS Store at Lake Buena Vista (near WDW) has notary services (most do).
See: https://orlando-fl-6442.theupsstorelocal.com/products--services/notary
Click the click the "Schedule" link to make an appointment with the notary.

If staying in WDW, I've read that their resorts' business centers may have one.

Last edited:

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to Disney next week and assuming all the paper work is in order by then, couldn't we just go get them notarized while there? - if so any suggestions where to get it done in orlando/disney ?

There have been no mentioning of a POA so my guesstimate is that its not required.

So unless NYC is "special" I hope that I dont need to get the deed notarized as a buyer.

What bank do you use? If they have an Orlando branch, chances are can get it done for free. I’m sure the off the street ones may charge you $10 or more a signature (which in ny is illegal. Most a notary is supposed to charge is $2 or $3 - I can’t remember - a signature per ny dept of state )

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
What bank do you use? If they have an Orlando branch, chances are can get it done for free. I’m sure the off the street ones may charge you $10 or more a signature (which in ny is illegal. Most a notary is supposed to charge is $2 or $3 - I can’t remember - a signature per ny dept of state )

Good suggestion, but the OP is from Denmark. It is highly unlikely the bank he uses in his home country has a retail branch anywhere in the USA, let alone Orlando.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Good suggestion, but the OP is from Denmark. It is highly unlikely the bank he uses in his home country has a retail branch anywhere in the USA, let alone Orlando.

Yes i'm in Denmark and my bank has no branch in the US, so I have to use what I can get/find, so if either Disney or the UPS store near WDW can help what would be great. This is ofc assuming that the closing company can have all the documents ready in time - currently that is unknown.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
.....OP is from Denmark.

I'm guessing (only guessing) that the notarized buyer signature may not be literally "required by law", but might perhaps instead merely be a requirement for proof of identity because the buyer is in another country. Maybe that's their way of trying to better protect themselves against Viking Ships or fictitious grantees. Just speculating. :shrug:

That said, there are places in the U.S. where notarized signature(s) on the deed is required of both grantor and grantee.
New Orleans, LA comes to mind as just one such example.

Last edited:

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes i'm in Denmark and my bank has no branch in the US, so I have to use what I can get/find, so if either Disney or the UPS store near WDW can help what would be great. This is ofc assuming that the closing company can have all the documents ready in time - currently that is unknown.

Ups store will have some one. As well as most banks. They will just charge you.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I just heard back from the closing company and my deed wont be ready for at least another 14 days. I was informed that a tax document needed to be notarized by both buyer and seller. I have requested more info about this and if possible a draft / sample document about the tax.

Anyone have any idea was this tax document is about?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO...It's probably a tax conveyance notice or something like it. Makes sense to have both notarized since people could transfer their property tax obligation to a fictitious person to avoid paying taxes. I find most contracts these days to be "kitchen sinks" because lawyers and banks keep piling on the crap to protect themselves and their client and no one cares about streamlining it - most people will add the wording to protect their jobs. Can't get fired for adding too much caution.

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just receive a sample document. Looks like its regarding smoke detectors. Seems a bit excessive to me that it needs to be notarized?

upload_2018-4-24_16-35-41.png

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
NYC probably does not differentiate between regular landlords and timeshares. I have read that there were problems with landlords not heating apartments in NYC in the winter to save money. Perhaps they have also not kept their apartments fire safety compliant and this makes the landlord liable should a fire injure one of their occupants. (I am sure that HGVC manages this appropriately.)

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC probably does not differentiate between regular landlords and timeshares. I have read that there were problems with landlords not heating apartments in NYC in the winter to save money. Perhaps they have also not kept their apartments fire safety compliant and this makes the landlord liable should a fire injure one of their occupants. (I am sure that HGVC manages this appropriately.)

It’s would be okay so sign off that you have what is required but to have it notarized imho seem overkill.

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
You may also be able to get an apostille in Denmark rather than having it notarized in the US. I know that was an option when Hawaii required notarized documents for our Kings Land purchase. I ended up running to the border though since Canada does not participate in the agreement to recognize something that has an apostille. I think the US does though.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just do it when you're in Orlando. Going to the US Embassy/Consulate is a pain. We have a consulate where I live, and it cost me ~$100 and took 3 hours to get something notarized there. Plus no cell phones, airport style security etc. Not a particularly pleasant way to spend an afternoon. 5 minutes at a UPS store in Orlando and $10 is a way better plan.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I agree that notarizing this doc is overkill.
A statement "signed under penalties of perjury" is often considered sufficient.

But it doesn't say it must be done at the same time as the closing docs.
So I'd ask 'em if you can sign+notarize this form early while in Orlando.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that notarizing this doc is overkill.
A statement "signed under penalties of perjury" is often considered sufficient.

But it doesn't say it must be done at the same time as the closing docs.
So I'd ask 'em if you can sign+notarize this form early while in Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestion, I mailed the closing company and it seems that the deed and the rest of the documents is done at the same time and that is just how it is(I was told)

I will however ask if I can "signed under penalties of perjury"