• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Northern California Beach Resorts

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great advice about SoCal. :)

I don't know anything really about San Diego beaches, but my favorite beach in the LA metro area is Laguna Beach and I know there is a timeshare there. The crescent shape of Laguna Beach is very picturesque. Also not far from there is the Marriott Newport Coast Villa's. I think that stretch of PCH (Pacific Coast Hwy) is lovely. :)

But be forewarned, the Pacific Ocean off the California coast even in Southern California (SoCal) is cold.

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't bother coming to Southern Ca. in May, June or early July unless you don't mind the moderate significant chance that it will be overcast on the coast. On the coast it is real common to have "May gray" or "June Gloom". Actually Sept after the kids are back in school can be sunny, delightful and sometimes the ocean is even warm enough to swim in comfortably (like maybe 70 to 72 degrees).

A couple day trip to Catalina Island could also be memorable. :cheer:

IMHO YMMV :ponder:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Per the OP's first post - they want to visit friends in San Francisco and Morgan Hill - both in Northern CA...

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Per the OP's first post - they want to visit friends in San Francisco and Morgan Hill - both in Northern CA...

Yep, read that. So I guess we really need to know what is more important to the wife.....a beach vacation where you can use the beach or visiting friends. :D

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
My point was if the wife wanted a BEACH vacation and to visit friends in Morgan Hill/SFO they probably shouldn't be attempted from the same lodgings

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My point was if the wife wanted a BEACH vacation and to visit friends in Morgan Hill/SFO they probably shouldn't be attempted from the same lodgings

Agree. :D

And folks need to remember, California is a big state. ;)

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is great advice. I was just coming back to suggest you ask your wife what a "beach vacation" means to her. If it means warm water, sun, and being able to swim in the ocean, then you definitely don't want northern California.

But, if she just wants to be on the coast, then that opens up your choices a lot.

She grew up on the coasts of Peru (Lima, actually) and she's well aware of the coldness of the Pacific's waters. I've spoiled her with the Gulf waters of South Padre and Destin so she prefers that or the Atlantic. But since we've never been to Cali, I thought that would be good. The wineries would be a plus for her (she loves her red wines).

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score

That makes sense. Cause that would be one heck of drive. Can you do an exchange for partial weeks? Like half in the San Diego area and the other half up north? I've seen getaways for 3 days or so but is it realistic to split a week?

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Fall?

I think that nice summer beach vacation and N. California are mutually exclusive ...
unless you get really lucky and get one of the FEW weeks that it is sunny for a week along the coast.

Half Moon bay was socked in all week last week. 600 overcast and 50 something all day last weekend. The 50s aren't so bad, but the ceiling means we can't get on.

Are you set on summer you is fall an option. The weather can be much nicer along the coast then...

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I *love* Atlantic and Gulf Coast beaches, as well as many other beaches worldwide, but just can't seem to warm up to CA beaches, no matter how many times I try (family in central coast so I visit that area regularly), they aren't places I ever want to hang out at for very long - a walk down the pier, then a meal, then I'm ready to leave.

Instead I'd focus on some other more exceptional attribute of CA: as you say maybe the wineries, but even more recommended by me would be the spectacular landscapes within reasonable driving distance from SF at either Lake Tahoe or Yosemite. Someone else mentioned Lake Tahoe - too cold to swim in for my tastes, but beautiful to look at, you can do boating, + great hiking and sight-seeing at both. We loved Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge on North Shore of Lake Tahoe by the way.

Then make a separate beach trip another time: Hawaii, or NC/SC/FL gulf coasts, where I can sit on or walk along the beach, and wade in the ocean, forever.

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that nice summer beach vacation and N. California are mutually exclusive ...
unless you get really lucky and get one of the FEW weeks that it is sunny for a week along the coast.

Half Moon bay was socked in all week last week. 600 overcast and 50 something all day last weekend. The 50s aren't so bad, but the ceiling means we can't get on.

Are you set on summer you is fall an option. The weather can be much nicer along the coast then...

I live in North Texas where it's usually 95+ degrees. Even Branson this year was in the 100s when we were visiting. I think I could learn to like 60 degree weather! :D

Late July to mid August is still an option. Kids don't go to school here until the last week of August.

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I *love* Atlantic and Gulf Coast beaches, as well as many other beaches worldwide, but just can't seem to warm up to CA beaches, no matter how many times I try (family in central coast so I visit that area regularly), they aren't places I ever want to hang out at for very long - a walk down the pier, then a meal, then I'm ready to leave.

Instead I'd focus on some other more exceptional attribute of CA: as you say maybe the wineries, but even more recommended by me would be the spectacular landscapes within reasonable driving distance from SF at either Lake Tahoe or Yosemite. Someone else mentioned Lake Tahoe - too cold to swim in for my tastes, but beautiful to look at, you can do boating, + great hiking and sight-seeing at both. We loved Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge on North Shore of Lake Tahoe by the way.

Then make a separate beach trip another time: Hawaii, or NC/SC/FL gulf coasts, where I can sit on or walk along the beach, and wade in the ocean, forever.

As I was going over the timeshare map I realized Napa's just north of SF and only a couple hours away from Morgan Hill. Not a bad trek considering that sometimes Dallas traffic takes and hour to get 20 miles. I thought about Tahoe too and the views look amazing! I might just forgo the beach option next year. Stay in Tahoe, Napa, or SF, sightsee, spend a day at Santa Cruz and then shoot over to my friends. Got some time to think about it.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
This is true for almost any beach on the Pacific Coast north of San Francisco.

Beach Ball

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is true for almost any beach on the Pacific Coast north of San Francisco.

Beach Ball

Funny commercial. Well after reading all the great tips and advice, I think I'm going to see about staying at Mountain Resort in Arnold (assuming a unit is available). Give the family a chance to see some nature and being only a few hours away from Morgan Hill and the coast, it will give us a chance to see the coast while we are there. Read a lot of great reviews about MR and the the activities seem to be great.:cheer:

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Luck at Mountain Retreat

Funny commercial. Well after reading all the great tips and advice, I think I'm going to see about staying at Mountain Resort in Arnold (assuming a unit is available). Give the family a chance to see some nature and being only a few hours away from Morgan Hill and the coast, it will give us a chance to see the coast while we are there. Read a lot of great reviews about MR and the the activities seem to be great.:cheer:

We were there several years ago with 3 families. The unit was huge with a huge loft. Our problem was we coudn't find anything to do in the area and several of us were bored. In the winter it would be fine, but not in summer.
Bart

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points

We stayed there a week last August and it was wonderful. Email me if you'd like some details of what we did in the area from a day trip to Yosemite to a bar-b-q and music show at a local ranch.

Last edited:

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMHO you're a few hours from everything

LAinDallas

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there a week last August and it was wonderful. Email me if you'd like some details of what we did in the area from a day trip to Yosemite to a bar-b-q and music show at a local ranch.

Thanks! I'll take you up on that offer!

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...Our problem was we coudn't find anything to do in the area and several of us were bored. ...
Bart

I kind of agree. :( If you're going to be away from the bay area and the coast, do Tahoe, IMO.

That's what I was thinking...:ignore: It's probably worth the extra drive time once. Unless ya really like hiking in the redwoods.

Last edited:

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Nothing to do?

We were there several years ago with 3 families. The unit was huge with a huge loft. Our problem was we coudn't find anything to do in the area and several of us were bored. In the winter it would be fine, but not in summer.
Bart

Did you go before the internet was available? We found plenty to do. I do understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes though.

Thanks! I'll take you up on that offer!

Once you book a stay there, email me and I'll give you some details.

That's what I was thinking...:ignore: It's probably worth the extra drive time once. Unless ya really like hiking in the redwoods.

There's more to do and see than the redwoods.

Here's a brief summary of our week there.

You are in the Sierra Nevada valley which is beautiful to begin with.

Lake Alpine and Lake Mosquito on Hwy 4 are 2 lovely alpine lakes

Snowshoe brewery-home brews, Lodgepole IPA, Grizzly Brown, and Thompson Pale Ale

Murphys-Murphys Hotel is a 1800's building--they have events there (we had a BBQ and classic car show). The town has shops, wineries, tea shops, olive oil tasting bars, spice shops--lovely friendly town. Be sure to check out the welcome lady, ours was Marianne, who will give you all sorts of places to go and coupons.

Stanislaus National Forest

Big Tree State Park-huge sequoias

Logging museum in White Pines

Chuckwagon BBQ in Jamestown-- Live bluegrass and wonderful BBQ outdoors--be sure to look up and see the stars. Don't miss this, if I'm anywhere near there I'll go again.

A one day trip to Yosemite also.

This was the most spacious TSs I've ever stayed in, couldn't believe the space and the peace and quiet at Mountain Retreat Resort.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You are in the Sierra Nevada valley which is beautiful to begin with.
Lake Alpine and Lake Mosquito on Hwy 4 are 2 lovely alpine lakes
A one day trip to Yosemite also.
Stanislaus National Forest

Really barely out of the foothills... Around an hour (maybe a little less depending on stops and traffic ) to Lake Alpine. An hour and a half to two hours to Yosemite.

Looking sooth towards Arnold....

2012-06-15_09-18-45_HDR.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr

The hills just north or Arnold.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dntanderson/7376914534/in/set-72157630026861297

Looking into the Tahoe basin ...

2012-06-08_10-29-38_486.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr

Eldorado and Tahoe National Forest
Echo Lakes and Desolation Wilderness area

Just saying... Apples and oranges. We'd almost always pick Tahoe over Arnold.

Back to beaches.
Avila and Pismo beach

2012-07-20_11-58-26_945.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr

2012-07-20_11-58-31_500.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr
Think that there is only one timeshare in the area. While its an hour and 20 min. flight to the Bay Area, it is a four hour drive.

By the time we got done at the paint shop a couple of hours later ... the fog rolled in and we couldn't to Oceano for lunch.

2012-07-20_15-10-44_122.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
When are you planning to visit Mountain Retreat? Mountain Retreat will be one hour to 1 1/2 closer to Morgan Hill than Tahoe.

Bart
Summer is a great time. There is Calaveras Big Trees ( one of my all time favorite parks besides Yosemite.) http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1146

Picture of Alpine lake
Alpine Lake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_Alpine,_CA.jpg

Info about Murphys:
http://www.visitmurphys.com/about.html

There is also Ironstone Winery in Murphys along with many other smaller wineries in the area.
http://www.ironstonevineyards.com/index.cfm?method=homepage.showpage

Ironstone has summer concerts:
Reba, Kelly Clarkson and many others. http://www.etix.com/ticket/online/venueSearch.jsp?venue_id=8646&cobrand=ironstonevineyards

Sonora
http://www.sonoraca.com/visitsonora/index.htm

Sierra Repertory Theatre in Sonora

http://www.sierrarep.com/

Visit an old gold rush town:
Columbia State Park
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

Do you want to rappel into a cave?

http://www.caverntours.com/MoCavRt.htm

One hour away:
Indian Grinding Rock State Park
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=553

Yosemite (The crown jewel of the National Park system)
http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

River rafting or fishing in the Stanislaus river.

http://www.oars.com/california/stanislausriver.html

Did you go before the internet was available? We found plenty to do. I do understand that everyone has different likes and dislikes though.

This was the most spacious TSs I've ever stayed in, couldn't believe the space and the peace and quiet at Mountain Retreat Resort.
Wireless Internet is available in every unit. Along with a large plasma tv and a host of cable channels. A free ice cream social with the works, wine and cheese party, Bingo.