• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NOLA- Things not to Miss

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’m headed to QH in January and taking my sister in law with me. There will be 4 of us and I would love some ideas of places to not miss and do. We are going to go to the WWII museum on one of the days. We arrive late Friday night, so that leaves us Saturday through the following Thursday night to fill up.

Thanks for any and all help

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
If your into this sort of thing, take a ghost tour. It was fun walking around hearing the stories of some of the old houses. We also stopped into some of the Vodoo shops all over.

Enjoy some of the best seafood in the country. I never ate so many oysters in my life. They are fantastic there but you have to like oysters. :)

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
1. Take a ride on the Riverboat Natchez. Skip the meal; it's not very good.
2. Take one of the city tours. It will take you to places that would be hard for you to get to yourself -- specifically the Ninth Ward, hardest hit by Katrina, and the levees that were topped.
3. Preservation Hall. Tickets were $12 last time we went but you could sit through three shows (8, 9, and 10). That may have changed.
4. Browse the antique stores on Royal Street. Say "Hi" to Maggie in Kiel's. She is a wonderful lady.
5. Then, browse the antique shops on Magazine Street. Get a day pass for the bus and ride for a couple of blocks, then walk back along the shops. Repeat. Magazine Street is infinitely more affordable than Royal Street.
6. Go to one of the 10 AM demonstrations at The New Orleans School of Cooking.
7. Gymnasts/acrobats across Decatur from Jackson Square.
8. Mementos at the French Market or shops along Decatur.

There! Your week is FULL!

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
If you want to rest a bit, take a look at the city from the streetcars.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If your into this sort of thing, take a ghost tour. It was fun walking around hearing the stories of some of the old houses. We also stopped into some of the Vodoo shops all over.

Enjoy some of the best seafood in the country. I never ate so many oysters in my life. They are fantastic there but you have to like oysters. :)

I did the walking ghost tour with my cousins when we went to NOLA 2 years ago. 2 of the 4 of this group have issues walking. One out of the 2 is obese and just walking short distances tires him out and the other person just doesn’t like to walk long distance (more then a short block)

I wonder if they have a bus ghost tour. Thanks for the suggestion love it

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1. Take a ride on the Riverboat Natchez. Skip the meal; it's not very good.
2. Take one of the city tours. It will take you to places that would be hard for you to get to yourself -- specifically the Ninth Ward, hardest hit by Katrina, and the levees that were topped.
3. Preservation Hall. Tickets were $12 last time we went but you could sit through three shows (8, 9, and 10). That may have changed.
4. Browse the antique stores on Royal Street. Say "Hi" to Maggie in Kiel's. She is a wonderful lady.
5. Then, browse the antique shops on Magazine Street. Get a day pass for the bus and ride for a couple of blocks, then walk back along the shops. Repeat. Magazine Street is infinitely more affordable than Royal Street.
6. Go to one of the 10 AM demonstrations at The New Orleans School of Cooking.
7. Gymnasts/acrobats across Decatur from Jackson Square.
8. Mementos at the French Market or shops along Decatur.

There! Your week is FULL!

As always you are always so helpful in all things NOLA. Thanks

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Watching this thread. We’ll be in NOLA in May.

Dave

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Are these street musicians? I love this idea. Thanks

Nope. These are night clubs. Look for street musicians on Royal Street during the day but you could run into a group just about anytime.

A couple of years ago, my wife and I were headed back to Quarter House from dinner someplace down toward the French Market. On one of the street corners on Decatur, there's a bunch of maybe 35-40 people, ages from late-teens to well over 50. They all have instruments, brass and reeds. They've got a cart with the bass drum on the top shelf and the beer on the bottom shelf. So, maybe half of them are playing, "Bill Bailey, Won't You Please Come Home," or "Down By The Riverside," or "Somebody Else Is Taking My Place." The rest are drinking beer. After a song or two, they swap activities. After a half dozen songs or so, they push the cart up toward Bourbon Street a block or two and start playing again.

There may be other places in the country where that happens regularly but I don't know where. This is when you know what it means to miss New Orleans.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Are these street musicians? I love this idea. Thanks

There are street musicians all over the French Quarter. Usually quite a few in Jackson Square. Frenchmen Street has 4 to 6 places that play Jazz and Blues. This is where most of the locals go for music. Our favorite is The Spotted Cat. Only a few tables and chairs so get there early. No food only drinks. So they will let you bring food in.

There is 1 timeshare on Frenchmen Street with open decks with chairs facing the street on the 2nd and 3rd floors. We stayed there a week in October.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
The last time we were in NOLA we got a Groupon for Taste of N'Awlins. It was a walking tour that took you to 4 local spots to taste the local cuisine. The tour guide told the group all about the local history and it was very interesting.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks. I did not know there was a zoo.

I don't know if it can still be done, but back in the 80s when I was in New Orleans, I rode the Natchez riverboat up river, and got off at the Audubon Zoo. (It's a very nice zoo.) I spent several hours checking out the zoo, then caught the riverboat back to town. It was nice way to combine things.

Dave

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a great start to an evening, go to Superior Seafood on the St Charles streetcar line for Happy Hour! We had a blast people watching there, and the oyster deal ($.50/each) cannot be beat! The 1/2 price mojitos and wine were an added bonus.
https://www.superiorseafoodnola.com/

The hop-on/hop-off bus was a good way to get an overview of the city. Check for deals on their website or with Groupon.
https://www.sightseeingpass.com/en/...MI7tKt48TK3wIVhSBpCh2LNAlqEAAYASAAEgI3fPD_BwE

We needed two days to go through the WWII museum. If you are a history buff, there is just too much to absorb in one day. And buy your tickets online!!! I got online and bought our tickets while we were standing in the VERY long line to get into the museum. It was a little embarrassing to step out of the line and walk right to the will-call booth to get in (I felt like I was line-skipping). I should have bought the tickets online before we got there, but didn't think it would be so busy in November! We didn't think The Final Mission multi-media experience was very good. (It is a sobering story of loss, though.)
https://ticketing.nationalww2museum.org/Webstore/shop/ViewItems.aspx?CG=Tickets&C=GA

We love to walk, so wandering around the Garden District was a delight! It was fun to see and explore the beautiful houses, Lafayette Cemetery #1, Commander's Palace, Magazine Street...

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The last time we were in NOLA we got a Groupon for Taste of N'Awlins. It was a walking tour that took you to 4 local spots to taste the local cuisine. The tour guide told the group all about the local history and it was very interesting.

I’ve been looking on Groupon for some deals. Thanks for the endorsement as that was one I was looking at

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
The WWII museum is not to be missed. It is fantastic. It is laid out very well, is very interactive, and I would highly recommend it.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you are going to spend 2 days at the WWII Museum buy your second day when you buy your first day. It is a lot cheaper that way and you have I believe a week to use the second day. Don't miss the Tom Hanks Movie at the Museum.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Smithsonian Museums often have a free day and when we were in NOLA the free day included the WWII museum. It is generally in September, so check when the 2019 date is posted.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smithsonian Museums often have a free day and when we were in NOLA the free day included the WWII museum. It is generally in September, so check when the 2019 date is posted.

Good to know. Thanks

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Watching this thread. We’ll be in NOLA in May.

Dave

If you are using Worldmark to stay at the Avenue Plaza, don't under any circumstances let anyone into your room. They are famous for their stealth WYNDHAM timeshare presentations.

Reactions: DrQ

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you are using Worldmark to stay at the Avenue Plaza, don't under any circumstances let anyone into your room. They are famous for their stealth WYNDHAM timeshare presentations.

We are staying at the WM there. But no worries. I made the mistake of letting a guy come into the room for an "Owner's Update" once, years ago, at the Grand Desert in Las Vegas. I practically had to throw the guy out. Never again. :)

Dave

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Wow!