• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

No outside food or beverages at the pool. [Hyatt Coconut Planation]

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever seen this (or noticed it) at any other timeshare resort. Near all the entrances to the pool area was a sign of pool rules. The first rule..."no outside food or beverages."

Basically buy our stuff or go eat outside of the pool area.

I didn't see it enforced, but I also didn't see anyone obviously breaking that rule either. Plenty of travel mugs that people were drinking from and only a rare sighting of a beer can. Not even a box of crackers or bag of chips were out in the open.

Something unique to this place or have I just been missing it.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Where are you?
What resort.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Other than a bottle of water, I don't see any need for food/beverages poolside. Come, swim, build up an appetite then return to the villa for a good lunch.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't think I have ever seen this (or noticed it) at any other timeshare resort. Near all the entrances to the pool area was a sign of pool rules. The first rule..."no outside food or beverages."

I didn't see it enforced, but I also didn't see anyone obviously breaking that rule either. Plenty of travel mugs that people were drinking from and only a rare sighting of a beer can. Not even a box of crackers or bag of chips were out in the open.

There are signs up at our pool at West Hill at Smugglers Notch that say "No Eating or Drinking at The Pool Area". Never bothered me because I don't eat or drink at the pool. There is an adjoining area with picnic tables and barbecues for people who want to eat. There is no where to purchase food there either.
That is only at the Mountainside Pool area, which is a "public" pool.

That said, most people ignore it and I don't care (except for the smoking). The only time it bothers me is if people do not clean up after themselves and allow their kids to drop snacks and so forth around the pool area. Or spill something and don't clean it up or leave bottles around. The resort even removed the garbage container from the pool area which I think was a stupid idea.

People are on vacation and it is natural to want to take some drinks and food to the pool especially if you will be there a long time. I see some people bringing beer or wine coolers also. I usually will go back to my unit across the way if I want lunch or whatever. And- yes- I leave my towel and things on the chaise lounge. LOL!

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort is Hyatt Coconut Planation. Thinking more about it, I think the reason I found it odd....it is more like an outdoor complex, multiple pools, many loungers, tables/chairs, games, etc. A place that guests would go to and spend a good portion of their day (not unlike a day at the beach). And it is not no food/drink period....it is no outside food/drink. They had staff walking the grounds taking food/drink orders.

If it was just a small resort and the pool area was a couple hour visit - then I wouldn't even think about a "picnic lunch" from the room. But, in places with this type of atmosphere where the outdoor/pool itself can be the destination for the day, I found it strange they would allow me to back a small bag with snacks, drink, salad from the room.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I know the pool at the HGVC Elara in Vegas has the same rule and enforces it. Same goes with the Vidanta resorts in Mexico. It may not be too common, but tends to be more common at the larger timeshare chains.

Kurt

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I know at Massanutten, they do it even at the pools that don't sell anything- water in non glass containers are the only thing permitted. Keeps the area more free from messes and bees even if the leftovers all make it to the trash can.

I always assumed at resorts like Sheraton Broadway Plantation it was to keep down the competition for their bars and snack shacks.

In either case if you are discrete with drinks in plastic or metal nondescript bottles/thermos types and don't make a mess or clean up if you do then you will be left alone.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I, personally, would be annoyed about that. I like to take a snack or sandwich in my beach bag. People spend enough on vacations without being coerrced to buy poolside food. Yes, I know I could back to my room but that should be an option, not a requirement.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I know the pool at the HGVC Elara in Vegas has the same rule and enforces it. Same goes with the Vidanta resorts in Mexico. It may not be too common, but tends to be more common at the larger timeshare chains.

Kurt

Elara has all kinds of food and drink FOR SALE by the pool, they just want you to buy it from them. That is the only reason they have that restriction. That is usually the only time I see a restriction. Elara was having a huge issue with people bringing their own alcohol down to the pool.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

That just seems wrong to me at a timeshare. I could more understand it at a hotel. In either case big bag to hold snacks discretely would go down to the pool with me. Just like going to the movie theater.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
The only thing I could see would be as way to control the consumption of alcohol (and make a profit). A general prohibition would make it easier to shut down a rowdy party.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch has the same restriction. They also have wait staff walking around selling overpriced food and drinks. This is just a profit center for the property. If it were a hotel, well, it's their property, they make the rules. However, a timeshare is owned by the users. I own in Hyatt, not Wild Oaks... If I did own there, I would bring what ever I want in (not glass), and tell them in the nicest way possible to go away. Tough to tell an owner that they cannot use their property.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maybe people bringing their own food were leaving a mess?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I have 2 children that are Type 1 Diabetics and I had to bring juice boxs and glucose tabs with us in case the kids ever got low.

I’ve never had a problem except once at Kalkeri Water Park and when a young attendant told my father that my son could not drink his juice box as he was getting very low and we were telling our son to drink to bring his sugar up and my father insisted that we would obey their rule but an attendant would need to remain at our table for the duration of our visit and be available to quickly get juice if one of the kids got low. After an hour of that kid sitting with us. He brought over 10 juice boxes and told us he had better things to do.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing I could see would be as way to control the consumption of alcohol (and make a profit). A general prohibition would make it easier to shut down a rowdy party.
Yeah, this is their out. Same rules exist at golf courses, and they can claim, perhaps justifiably, that they can "control", or at least monitor, alcohol consumption that way.

Nevertheless, I usually keep a bottle of "aiming fluid" in my golf bag.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrQ

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is just a profit center for the property

While I too make this comment, I'm not sure it is really accurate. I'm willing to bet in many locations, they are lucky to break even.

I find as I age and my wallet 'loosens up' a bit, if the food is passable I try to patronize the on-site food at properties I own as I believe there is real value to having a bar/eatery on-site. Sadly, it's not always passable, and watered down fountain soft drinks are a non-starter.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's due to the liquor laws. At a club I belong to at a local lake, we can take alcohol to the boat docks, but never around the pool or clubhouse as that would violate their liquor license.

This makes sense regarding alcoholic beverages, and if they told me that, I’d go with it. Unfortunately, when they go on to tell me that I need to buy a $15 burger and $5 coke instead of consuming some fruit and the sugar free lemonade I brought from the room... that’s the point where I would become frustrated.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I also understand liquor law issues but I agree with you, having a non alcoholic fruit drink by the pool should be A Ok. Sigh, sounds like another money grab. I would just go somewhere else in the future. If you like the area, surely there are good accommodations nearby. If you own the timeshare, time to question the Board on this decision and place the week up for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch has the same restriction. They also have wait staff walking around selling overpriced food and drinks. This is just a profit center for the property. If it were a hotel, well, it's their property, they make the rules. However, a timeshare is owned by the users. I own in Hyatt, not Wild Oaks... If I did own there, I would bring what ever I want in (not glass), and tell them in the nicest way possible to go away. Tough to tell an owner that they cannot use their property.
Haha, I will try that in June. There will be 35 of us at HWOR, 20 are ten and under. They enforce their no food/drink rule at the pools and the lazy river. I wonder what they would say when told “I’m a deeded owner, and not a guest. I will abide by this rule every week of the year except week 23, which I own.”
Will report back!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
What if they don't have what you drink? I drink diet peach tea, usually Lipton in the liter bottles. I am not going to bring anything with alcohol. I drink that and bottled water.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I have seen families with snacks by the pool and none has said anything that I have noticed. It is annoying when kids sit Iin the hot tub with bags of chips and snacks and drop crumbs in the water..That I can see restricting . When we have my granddaughter we always pack her favorite snacks. I cant see them enforcing that if guests are respectful.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Def a resort specific rule in the Hyatt world.

I could see and would not argue with it as someone exchanging into the property it at the twins of Coconut and Wild Oak as both properties have on going property development under the control of Hyatt and have a food service operation that serves the pool areas.

I'd be hotter than a $2 pistol if they tried that at a property like Sunset Harbor. There's no food service operation there and the property was sold out a long time ago and is under the control of the HOA in lieu of Hyatt.

I'm in dagger1's camp with "I'm an owner using my deeded week - I'll bring the food and beverage of my choice to the lazy river/pool."

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Sometimes it's due to the liquor laws. At a club I belong to at a local lake, we can take alcohol to the boat docks, but never around the pool or clubhouse as that would violate their liquor license.

I've seen posted notices poolside at a few Marriott timeshares (and hotels) that you can't bring your own liquor. At my resorts the annual newsletters say this is the reason, that it would put their liquor licenses in jeopardy.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Haha, I will try that in June. There will be 35 of us at HWOR, 20 are ten and under. They enforce their no food/drink rule at the pools and the lazy river. I wonder what they would say when told “I’m a deeded owner, and not a guest. I will abide by this rule every week of the year except week 23, which I own.”
Will report back!

If they try to give you a problem about it, ask them to show you in the Hyatt rules where they can specifically restrict the source what an owner consumes. They are not really restricting what you consume, as they want to sell it to you, so it’s the source of that item, not the item.