• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nice knife set recommendation

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you put enough pressure on it, and saw back and forth enough, you can cut shoe leather with a butter knife. You know those things that pass for knives in timeshare kitchens? Those are NOT sharp! They will hurt you.

Even my husband says our knives do not need to be sharpened. First off, the serrated ones definitely are great and you can't sharpen those anyway. And- the others we have had no issues with for what we use them for. No struggles! Really!

Nothing like the timeshare knives. Not even close!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like your new avatar. :)

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even my husband says our knives do not need to be sharpened. First off, the serrated ones definitely are great and you can't sharpen those anyway. And- the others we have had no issues with for what we use them for. No struggles! Really!

You most definitely CAN have the Cutco serrated knives sharpened, although not with one of those fancy-schmancy sharpening devices mentioned above! Just package them up and send them back to the factory. It's a near-free service that comes with your Cutco knives. Just pay the postage.

And I've got one of just about every Cutco knife that's made :)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did slice part of my finger off with a serrated knife when I was slicing a croissant to open up as a pouch for stuffing tuna salad. I am now very careful around one.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

My husband is the cook/chef and very particular about his knives. He sharpens them regularly and keeps telling me to use the sharp ones. He also brings a knife with us when we are staying in timeshares.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I like our Henckel Knives but my sharpest is an ugly old no name steel blade with wood handle that I use mostly for filleting fish and slicing sushi. The Henckels only get sharpened with the steel rod that came with the set. The old steel knife gets the stone and leather and is crazy sharp. The Henckels came from Bed Bath and Beyond and replaced a set we received as a gift. The old steel knife came from a fisherman named Ojisama.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I believe you, but really- we have not had any issues cutting things.

I like your avatar. It of remind me of someone who said "keep swimming".

Bill

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Serrated steel is more like a hacksaw than a knife. Crude at best.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You most definitely CAN have the Cutco serrated knives sharpened, although not with one of those fancy-schmancy sharpening devices mentioned above! Just package them up and send them back to the factory. It's a near-free service that comes with your Cutco knives. Just pay the postage.

Again- we have never needed to sharpen any of our knives. But- interesting to know that the serrated ones can be sharpened.

And- yes- I know Cutco has great service. Have had a few knives replaced for free with them. We have a full set.

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Not true. The third slot on the Chef Choice sharpener can be used to sharpen serrated knives. The instructions clearly state what is to be done and how it works.

If you don't sharpen your knives, regardless of what product you have, you simply no longer have the product that you bought.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Faith, these people come around to all the JoAnn stores about quarterly to sharpen knives and scissors. Recommended.

Wustof sounded familiar, but block wasn't marked. After looking at Amazon I saw that many knives were marked on the blade. One of the little used knives still had a Cordon Bleu mark on it and I see Wustof has some knives marked Cordon Bleu. I'm also now looking at electric sharpeners because I know Cliff doesn't think it's time for new knives and I apparently don't have the knack for using the honing tool in the block. A year or so ago I researched knife sharpening in our local area and came up with nothing. Anyone have an electric sharpener they care to recommend?
Jo

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

We send out Cutco knives off to be sharpened about every 5 years. It is a great service they provide.

The company has been around for a long time. My 82 yo mother bought her set when she was going to business school after high school and still has and uses them!

Kurt

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Faith, these people come around to all the JoAnn stores about quarterly to sharpen knives and scissors. Recommended.

Jo

Thank you so much for this info, doubly so because on first reading all I saw was "Joann's" and then could find nothing in my own search! The schedule you provided tells me we miss the next two local sharpening events because we are either in Palm Springs or Yellowstone, but we'll catch them sometime this summer.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not true. The third slot on the Chef Choice sharpener can be used to sharpen serrated knives. The instructions clearly state what is to be done and how it works.

If you don't sharpen your knives, regardless of what product you have, you simply no longer have the product that you bought.

Ah, but Cutco has a specific "double-D" serrated "groove" that's engineered differently from other serrated knives. They specifically say NOT to use automatic sharpeners, and I believe it's not because they're looking to take business away (remember, they sharpen for free) but rather to preserve the integrity of the design that would otherwise be damaged by the sharpening device.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

I mentioned this thread to my husband. As I mentioned he's the cook/chef in the family. As I also mentioned he is meticulous about sharpening our knives often. His comment was, if you really want to know about knives and how to care for (and sharpen) them, ask a real chef. They'll tell you the knives need to be sharp, which mean sharpen often. :)

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went and found ScoopLV's (a chef that used to post here) post on knives:

"So I strongly encourage everyone to buy a MAC chef's knife. (There are better knives out there. But MAC takes (and holds) a great edge.) There is no upper limit to what I'll spend on a knife, and I have several by MAC. They are uniformly excellent. When my wife said she wanted a knife like what I use, I bought her this: http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/pro...ional-series-8q-chefs-knife-with-dimples.html

(Note, this knife will be useless after a couple weeks of use if it is not properly maintained. There is a significant time investment -- sharpening and honing, as well as the monetary investment to buy the knife in the first place.)"

ETA: Link appears to be broken. Here's a link that works:

https://www.macknife.com/collection...onal-series-8-chefs-knife-with-dimples-mth-80

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I mentioned this thread to my husband. As I mentioned he's the cook/chef in the family. As I also mentioned he is meticulous about sharpening our knives often. His comment was, if you really want to know about knives and how to care for (and sharpen) them, ask a real chef. They'll tell you the knives need to be sharp, which mean sharpen often. :)

Maybe that's it. I am no chef. I make basic meals- I have no time for gourmet cooking! LOL!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Maybe that's it. I am no chef. I make basic meals- I have no time for gourmet cooking! LOL!

I was making stew on Tuesday, cutting up lots of vegetables, which gave me the knife set as 80th birthday present idea. I can guarantee I won't be cooking again for two to four weeks. We got four dinners out of the stew and will go back to Lean Cuisine and Trader Joe's frozen pastas which we really enjoy (both as single serve boxes and the pouches which feed both of us).

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sigh. I don't think you are getting the point. You don't have to be a chef to have a sharp knife. Sharp knives are safer and easier to cut with. What I'm trying to get across is, if you want advice, ask an expert. Would you ask a bunch of no nothings to advise you on health issues. Wait, don't answer that, it happens all the time here. If you, and your husband, are happy with your dull knives, so be it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Sigh. I don't think you are getting the point. You don't have to be a chef to have a sharp knife. Sharp knives are safer and easier to cut with. What I'm trying to get across is, if you want advice, ask an expert. Would you ask a bunch of no nothings to advise you on health issues. Wait, don't answer that, it happens all the time here. If you, and your husband, are happy with your dull knives, so be it.

LOL! That's it! We are not the ones with a knife problem- the OP needs new knives or for the old ones to be sharpened. We are happy with ours!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL! That's it! We are not the ones with a knife problem- the OP needs new knives or for the old ones to be sharpened. We are happy with ours!
Your posts make me smile. I don't sharpen our knives and I do most of the "gourmet" type cooking at home. My husband insists on sharpening our knives regularly and as far as I am concerned, they do not need sharpening but he is free to do whatever he likes. Maybe I have no issues with our knives because he sharpens them regularly.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
This post struck me as so funny. I have Cutco knives --- steak knives here at the house, Cutco utility knives at the office ( I have a fully stocked kitchen there and all my employees use everything and they are harder on things than I am). I have Henkels here at the house that I have owned since 1976 --- I asked for the 3 slot Chef's Choice for my Valentine's present.

I have the Victorinix knives in my timeshare kitchen travel cube. A 10" chef's knife, a boning knife and a paring knife all of which I have in protective sheaths. I love the Victorinix knives.

(Also in the kitchen travel cube: silicon cutting board, hand squeeze juicer, a microplane grater, 2 oven gloves and 2 drying mats. One of my favorite things to do on vacation is to cook). I like having the pre-packed cube so I don't have to worry about missing something.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of Cutco and love it all. My mother started purchasing small sets of these for my birthday more than 15 years ago. I have an assortment now of all sorts of knives and even have things from pizza cutters, vegetable peelers to garden tools.

They were great gifts - for all of you out there that don't know what to get your adult children - a really good set may be worth it. It is one of those things that a person may not splurge on for themselves and appreciate.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score