• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nice knife set recommendation

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
30-33 years ago I bought Cliff a nice knife set for Christmas (just checked and I don't see a brand name). He was thrilled with it at the time and it is still a decent set, but I'm thinking of replacing it and what better way to rationalize a new household knife set than for his 80th birthday next month! It's bound to be cheaper all the way around than the Keurig he bought me for Christmas and for which we've probably spent $200 on K-cups so far this year. We are not gourmet cooks by any means, and most meals are Lean Cuisine rather than home cooked. Wonder if anyone had a brand they liked.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I still have my Cutco set from when I got married. In fact, a few of the steak knives have broken over the past few years -hey- what do you expect after 40 years! LOL!

They have a lifetime guarantee and Cutco has replaced every single one of them.

https://www.cutco.com/#sm.00018l4npj1ealcxdz588hwkblge2

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good knives don't come in sets. But if you want REAL professional quality at a reasonable price, shop for Victorinox (yes, that's the Swiss Army Knife brand) on Amazon or in your local restaurant supply store. Many professional chefs use them- at least until they can afford custom made Japanese knives. Here is a good start: https://smile.amazon.com/Victorinox...=1521586224&sr=8-8&keywords=Victorinox+knives

Jim

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife Wusthof knives 2 years ago. German made - in Germany. That serrated bread knife has done some damage to me twice. :eek:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good knives don't come in sets. But if you want REAL professional quality at a reasonable price, shop for Victorinox (yes, that's the Swiss Army Knife brand) on Amazon or in your local restaurant supply store. Many professional chefs use them- at least until they can afford custom made Japanese knives. Here is a good start: https://smile.amazon.com/Victorinox...=1521586224&sr=8-8&keywords=Victorinox+knives

Jim
I second the rec for Victorinox. I have a full older set of another brand, but I've been supplementing with the Victorinox. Love the 10" chef's knife.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought my wife Wusthof knives 2 years ago. German made - in Germany. That serrated bread knife has done some damage to me twice. :eek:
Yeah. My pride & joy is a Wustof Culinar forged 10" Chef knife. This: https://smile.amazon.com/Wusthof-Cu...d=1521587451&sr=1-15&keywords=wusthof+culinar The Wustof rep comes to town annually and sharpens knives for free at the local kitchen store. She swoons when I let her put an edge on this one. But really, my workhorse knives are those Victorinox ones I recommended upthread. I sure don't need a $180 knife, but if a crowd of friends comes over and I'm performing in the kitchen, I'll bring it out with the copper pans.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Beautiful knives, but WAY out of my price range!

Mine too -even when or DS was a sales rep for them in his College days. DS & I have purchased quite a few off Kijiji (like Craigslist), estate/yard sales and from Flea Markets. Since they are fully warranted we just send any that are not in perfect condition back to Cutco for sharpening, repair or replacement.
DS advised me the other day that I have a "new" Cutco cheese knife waiting for me at home that he found on his local Kijiji pages. :thumbup:

~Diane

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I like my Henckels, good German steel, but also expensive. My 3 piece chef set cost me $300. Of course that's Canadian so maybe cheaper for you.

https://www.zwilling.ca/

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have bought 2 sets of Henckels, one for each home and my son inherited the set from our old CA home. There are different quality levels, we like the more expensive ones and they seem to work out pretty well. Japanese knives are the best, don't remember the brand, we bought a couple - very sharp and very expensive.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I have Henkel knives that I purchased in Germany back in the 70s, so they've cut a lot of food! We picked out the basic ones we needed—and were all we could afford. We've sharpened them periodically and taken good care of them, and they are still in good shape. We've added other specialty knives from Wustoff over the years, but I still reach for one of those original knives almost every day, even though they are more than 40 years old.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You would get great use for the rest of your (and the kids) lives with either Wustof or Henkels. Both are available in sets with or without a storage block. All I or any fairly serious cook would say, is PLEASE. Don't buy anything serrated except a bread knife! And keep your new knives sharp. Dull knives will slip and cut you!

Jim

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Wustof sounded familiar, but block wasn't marked. After looking at Amazon I saw that many knives were marked on the blade. One of the little used knives still had a Cordon Bleu mark on it and I see Wustof has some knives marked Cordon Bleu. I'm also now looking at electric sharpeners because I know Cliff doesn't think it's time for new knives and I apparently don't have the knack for using the honing tool in the block. A year or so ago I researched knife sharpening in our local area and came up with nothing. Anyone have an electric sharpener they care to recommend?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Chefs Choice is the only electric sharpener I use, and was recommended by Wustof. The top end will have 3 slots, a 'rough', or beginning stone, then a 20 degree hone, then a final diamond wheel set at 15 degrees. VERY sharp! There are 2 slot sharpeners for a lot less cost, but once you get used to extremely sharp knives, nothing else will do.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
My understanding is that the honing tool doesn’t sharpen the knives, just helps keep them sharp longer. At some point they need a real sharpening to get the edge right. I’ve been meaning to take mine for sharpening so this has been a reminder to get on it!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Chefs Choice is the only electric sharpener I use, and was recommended by Wustof. The top end will have 3 slots, a 'rough', or beginning stone, then a 20 degree hone, then a final diamond wheel set at 15 degrees. VERY sharp! There are 2 slot sharpeners for a lot less cost, but once you get used to extremely sharp knives, nothing else will do.

I'm seeing several that look like 3-slots (a PITA to view on iPad so I'll use computer tomorrow). Which model number do you have?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I never have sharpened my knives ever.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing several that look like 3-slots (a PITA to view on iPad so I'll use computer tomorrow). Which model number do you have?
I really can't tell what model it is. It's an older Chef's Choice 2 slot model. They came out with the 3 slot versions due to the popularity of the thinner Japanese knives that use the 15 degree edge.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Costco does sell Cutco knives in various sets, and they're not that unaffordable.

Rosle, a German brand, also makes some amazing knives

If you're looking a little on the lower end, I've also been very very pleased with the Calphalon bread knife we picked up at home stores for very little money. I know it was on sale/closeout, but the quality of the knife is superb. I'm thinking there might be some good deals on Calphalon knives at bed bath and beyond with a 20% coupon. Go check them out

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Rather than getting a new knife set, I would start by getting a Chef Choice sharpener. (I have the three slot model.) Given that the OP started with what she describes as a good knife set that might be all that she needs (particularly given that they do not look upon themselves as gourmet cooks). Still plenty expensive, so this would not be a cheap gift.

Duller knives are an absolute danger. (Although you also have to be careful when you first sharpen knives as they cut much more effortlessly than what you might have been used to.)

Finally, even the best of knives need to be periodically sharpened. (I have Wustof knives so I am not saying that only the cheaper knives need periodic sharpening.)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Costco does sell Cutco knives in various sets, and they're not that unaffordable.

Rosle, a German brand, also makes some amazing knives

If you're looking a little on the lower end, I've also been very very pleased with the Calphalon bread knife we picked up at home stores for very little money. I know it was on sale/closeout, but the quality of the knife is superb. I'm thinking there might be some good deals on Calphalon knives at bed bath and beyond with a 20% coupon. Go check them out

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Thanks for the BBB reminder -- I have a stack of coupons (as a reminder to those who don't know, they will take expired coupons and up to five coupons per transaction; and Cliff often is right behind me with five more expired coupons). I'll check online to see what sharpeners they carry, but will go in person to buy.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You really oughtta try using sharp knives. They're safer and easier to use. I promise.

I believe you, but really- we have not had any issues cutting things.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without having some price objective this thread is somewhat useless. Knives run quite a range of prices. ScoopLV, who used to post here and was a chef by trade recommended MAC knives, IIRC. They're not cheap. As I mentioned earlier, I love my Victorinox knives with Fibrox handles. I recognize they're not top of the line, but I suspect they offer 90-95% of the performance of the best knives at a fraction of the price. Since I don't chef for living, I doubt I'm missing much.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe you, but really- we have not had any issues cutting things.
If you put enough pressure on it, and saw back and forth enough, you can cut shoe leather with a butter knife. You know those things that pass for knives in timeshare kitchens? Those are NOT sharp! They will hurt you.