• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie - looking for resale

nobodyhasthisname2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
7000 platinum points at HGVC on Paradise
Hi All,

I'm going to apologize in advance, you likely get questions like mine quite regularly!

We're looking for a timeshare, but obviously don't want to pay full price - so I'm searching resales. My parents have a time share that they trade into RCI with, but we rarely have access to nice resorts in the locations we want - which is why my husband and I are looking at HGVC. Through the years, we've stayed at a couple of the HGVC through RCI or through just booking on expedia and have been really impressed.

In my searches and reading through threads, I have seen info on maintenance fees and ROFR - so I've been keeping those in mind as I look at the ads. I also sort of understand the "season" thing - platinum is better because you get more points for the same maintenance fees and better booking season....right?

What are the "booking fees" when you actually book your time at the hilton? I know with RCI it is sometimes cost prohibitive and makes more sense to just pay cash than invest in the timeshare.

Our favourite vacation location is Hawaii, so I'm also wondering if its difficult to get into the hawaii resorts if you don't own there? We aren't picky about the room location necessarily, but we do like to travel in the winter.

There is one resale ad that has a 2 week, 2 bed/2 bath at the grand waikikian with 15000 points annually in the gold season - for $20K. From my limited searches, that seems a good deal for a lot of points, granted the MF's are $1800. What else am I missing?

Also - what sites do you recommend for legit resales?

Thanks!!!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have no knowledge of HGVC but I am going to reply so your question will be bumped back to the top of the queue.

The only observation I feel comfortable in offering is that $20K seems waaaay too high a price to pay BUT as I said, HGVC is not my bag.
Hopefully, others will see this and chime in.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
In my searches and reading through threads, I have seen info on maintenance fees and ROFR - so I've been keeping those in mind as I look at the ads. I also sort of understand the "season" thing - platinum is better because you get more points for the same maintenance fees and better booking season....right?

The two biggest factors with season are points and when you can book your home week. Maintenance fees are based on room size and/or designation (premiere will get you more points than a plus or a regular room and a 2 bedroom will get more points than a 1 bedroom or studio), not season. A person with a platinum 2 bedroom will pay the same maintenance fee as someone with a gold or silver 2 bedroom in the same resort. As long as you have the points, you can book in any season you want. If you have a gold season 2 bedroom worth 5000 points, you can book a 1 bedroom in the platinum season. You can borrow from the next year if you want and get a larger room or a booking in a higher season.

The only time you have to book your designated season is when making a home week reservation. You have to book a full week in your resort in your room type in your season. You get first crack at the reservations (12 - 9 months in advance). Otherwise, as long as you have your points and there is availability, you can book any season you want, but have to wait until 9 months in advance to book.

What are the "booking fees" when you actually book your time at the hilton? I know with RCI it is sometimes cost prohibitive and makes more sense to just pay cash than invest in the timeshare.

The booking are as follows:

Home Week - Free

Club Booking Online/Phone - $65/$80

There are fees for depositing and exchanging into RCI. Here is a list of all of the potential fees: https://d1m2ucn09z2f8d.cloudfront.n...-8bba-531ddbbbeea6/2018-HGV-Club-Fees-v5a.pdf

Our favourite vacation location is Hawaii, so I'm also wondering if its difficult to get into the hawaii resorts if you don't own there? We aren't picky about the room location necessarily, but we do like to travel in the winter.

There is one resale ad that has a 2 week, 2 bed/2 bath at the grand waikikian with 15000 points annually in the gold season - for $20K. From my limited searches, that seems a good deal for a lot of points, granted the MF's are $1800. What else am I missing?

Unless there is a specific reason, it’s always wise to purchase platinum. You get more points/vacation for your money and, if you need to sell or give away, a platinum is much easier. Now I’m not well enough versed in Hawaii to know if that’s a good deal or not, so someone might be better at giving advice on that. If you could link the listing, that would be helpful.

The following brokers are tried and tested by fellow tuggers:

Judi Kozlowski - http://www.judikoz.com/
Diane Nadeau - http://timesharebrokersales.com/
Seth Nock - http://sellingtimeshares.net/

These are listing sites that many have used in the past:

Redweek - http://redweek.com/
Myresortnetwork - http://myresortnetwork.com/
Tug Marketplace - tug2.com/timeshare-resales/

Here is the Hilton site that has pics and points needed to book for each season: https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/search

Explore their websites. See what is out there and don’t rush to buy just to buy. There are deals to be had. Many of those timeshares have been on sale for a long time because they are way overpriced. Be patient.

Lastly, spend the $15 and join Tug. You get all of the reviews from fellow tuggers. But more importantly, you are supporting this site that gives so much valuable information for any newbie (like me).

Good luck and use the information and knowledge from the people here to make a wonderful purchase that will make memories for you and your family!

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Lastly, spend the $15 and join Tug. You get all of the reviews from fellow tuggers. But more importantly, you are supporting this site that gives so much valuable information for any newbie (like me).

Good luck and use the information and knowledge from the people here to make a wonderful purchase that will make memories for you and your family!

It is always great to hear a newer tuggers support. Great you are spreading the word.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only thing I'd add is this:

IF you are looking to buy/own where you want to go in order to take advantage of the 12-month home week booking window, is to see what the home week booking day is for the resort/location you're interested in.

Supposedly it's either a Friday-Friday week, or a Sat-Sat week. But you don't get to choose. The resort determine which one of the two it is (AFAIK).

I don't know which resorts have which home week check-in days other than:
Las Vegas Blvd is Fri-Fri
Las Vega Flamingo is Fri-Fri

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The only thing I'd add is this:

IF you are looking to buy/own where you want to go in order to take advantage of the 12-month home week booking window, is to see what the home week booking day is for the resort/location you're interested in.

Supposedly it's either a Friday-Friday week, or a Sat-Sat week. But you don't get to choose. The resort determine which one of the two it is (AFAIK).

I don't know which resorts have which home week check-in days other than:
Las Vegas Blvd is Fri-Fri
Las Vega Flamingo is Fri-Fri

The home week check in days are at the bottom of each resort page in this link (also linked in my post above): https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resort/search

Just click on the button that says browse on the resort you want to see. Scroll to the bottom and it gives you the home week check in day.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It is always great to hear a newer tuggers support. Great you are spreading the word.

My wife and I felt pretty comfortable purchasing the timeshare we did because of this site. I’m a research type person and the information here was invaluable. Not only was the advice great, but there were so many links that took me to other websites where there was great info! Even when I was being a dufus and questioned the deal I got, you alll told me what you thought! Well worth the $15 bucks to join.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
My wife and I felt pretty comfortable purchasing the timeshare we did because of this site. I’m a research type person and the information here was invaluable. Not only was the advice great, but there were so many links that took me to other websites where there was great info! Even when I was being a dufus and questioned the deal I got, you alll told me what you thought! Well worth the $15 bucks to join.
I learned most of what I know from being a member of tug. I was a member many years ago too. Write reviews and you can save the $15 renewal fee when it becomes due.